Lore/locations found in item text

ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in TL2 General Discussions
Noticed in someone elses post where they linked to an item that the item text had a bit of lore that mentioned a location in the game world. I think it would be cool if folks posted links to the Torchlight2 armory listing of any items that mention either game lore or locations within Torchlight's world.

[LINK DELETED]

This item mentions a place called Eon Island. Apparently, it's some sort of prison colony.
ItfooQF.png

Comments

• OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
    OooOOO, nice place for a content patch or expansion.

Mentions Redhaven
    [LINK DELETED]

Bokrug, Emberforge
    [LINK DELETED]

Some lore about an Emperor
    [LINK DELETED]

Ashenfeld, Cindermen. Ashenfeld seem to be a fire related species.
    [LINK DELETED]
    [LINK DELETED]
    [LINK DELETED]

Reveals that there have been 4 "High Wizards"
    [LINK DELETED]

Doom is part of the lore :P
    [LINK DELETED]

Middlemoors
    [LINK DELETED]

Questions about the Empire, Good or Bad?
    [LINK DELETED]

Zardon, was kinda a cow level, horse level thing in Mythos
    [LINK DELETED]

Odd name has ' and !
    [LINK DELETED]

Looky here:
    [LINK DELETED]

Jade Jungle
    [LINK DELETED]

Lake City
    [LINK DELETED]
  • What kind of **** is that most of these places are only named and not described, but with enough references, a description could be found. Nevertheless;

The entire Mondon set talks about the first Emperor, so I guess its a safe bet to say that he was named Mondon.
    [LINK DELETED]

Outlander named Corbucci, who was from Red Haven. Another piece of the set mentions the Great Silence.
    [LINK DELETED]

An adventurer named Tarroch, whose items tell of his exiles, the Ash Trolls, the Brackenwild, The Battle of the Four Kings, and the last surviving dwarf. May have been one of the first Outlanders, whose decsendants created the "City of Thieves". Has a rift named after him, possibly from discovering it (Tarroch's Rift in Act II)
    [LINK DELETED]

The deepest lore that I've found came from the many items that told the story of the Witchfinder, the Warlock, and the Oathbreaker.

The Witchfinder was a swordsman of sorts who held a position in the Empire to help cleanse it of corruption, acting as a bounty hunter. His final task was to hunt down the Warlock and the Oathbreaker, which lead him to Vilderan. He went missing, presumed dead, and was never officially replaced.
    [LINK DELETED]

The Warlock was, as the name suggests, a warlock who was responsible for starting a war between the Varkolyn and the Estherians, doing so by dominating the Varkolyn tribes and uniting them. He was later exiled to Vilderan by the Emperor, and sometime later the Witchfinder was sent after him. He is presumed dead, though some think otherwise.
    [LINK DELETED]

The Oathbreaker was a man of power within the Empire who created a plan to overthrow the Emperor but failed. The plan itself held some relation to the war between the Varkolyn and the Estherians, and he may have partnered with the Warlock to accomplish this, as rumor had it that they were both brothers. However, the Oathbreaker betrayed the Warlock and turned him to the Empire, pinning the entire crime onto him, but the Emperor somehow knew of the Oathbreaker's plot and exiled them both to Vilderan, and soon after the Witchfinder began his hunt.
    [LINK DELETED]

There's several more that mention locations, but again, only by name, like the Goblin Marshes, Rippledeep, and the Black Palace. Personally, I'm more interested in the lore on specific people, like the above 3.
  • Omnifas wrote:
    Questions about the Empire, Good or Bad?
    [LINK DELETED]

Hmm.. I assumed they were just referencing Nikola Telsa's life story there. Michael Moorcock has his Eternal Champion. Perhaps Runic are making a play for the "Eternal Mad Scientist". :D
    Runic ID: VonMalefic
    I occasionally blog on Torchlight 2.
    ----
    If a bird is flying for pleasure, it flies with the wind, but if it meets danger, it turns and faces the wind, in order that it may rise higher. -- Corrie Ten Boom
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭
    Omnifas wrote:
    Lake City
    [LINK DELETED]
    Lake City is a neighborhood in Seattle. It's possible they're referencing that.
    Though I guess it could be a reference and a legit location in the game world at the same time.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    OOOooooo Thanks for the great responses!
    ItfooQF.png
  • VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    Omnifas wrote:
    Odd name has ' and !
    [LINK DELETED]

It might be a Discworld reference - in Light Fantastic (working from memory here, I might be off) Twoflower and Rincewind meet a guy from some tribe who used exclamation points, and maybe even backticks in his language. As in, when he spoke, the they were there in his speech.
    Omnifas wrote:
    Looky here:
    [LINK DELETED]
    =D

OT:
    Sounds like a refrence
    [LINK DELETED]

Some seafarer?
    [LINK DELETED]

Ars Technica is a technology magazine. Name means "art of technology".
    [LINK DELETED]

There is some "Ember Cabal" - a group that opposed the Royal Tyrant.
    [LINK DELETED]

The quote is from Hermeticism - one of the most well known mystical arts. It's often used in works that want to depict mysticism of some sort - it's most often tied to the Law of Correspondence/Sympathy or whatever the mysticism calls it. While not sinister, it is slightly odd to find it on a set called Celestial. Although it could be a joke/pun. Or it could have a deeper meaning about the cosmology of Torchlight. Or maybe I'm overanalysing it. at any rate, it could also be a (different) joke - since it's a belt - "As above" would mean the upper body "so below" the lower - it sits in the middle, after all.
    [LINK DELETED]

The Grand Architect seems like...just the head architect of the empire or something.
    [LINK DELETED]

Professor herkon is the name of the person who invented the Embercraft
    [LINK DELETED]

It seems that maybe the First Emperor came to power not too peacefully. And the dwarves went extinct at that point. I'm not sure if the two are connected
    [LINK DELETED]

The Jade Jungle has something called "Wildlord" I assume it's their ruler. And one of them is called Killian
    [LINK DELETED]

Some bits and pieces about dwarves. They sound fairly typical.
    [LINK DELETED]

This set has some...interesting descriptions:
    [LINK DELETED]

Let's see:
    Lord of the Rings, I believe :D
    [LINK DELETED]

The description actually lyrics from "The Thing That Should Not Be" by Metallica. And that song is itself referencing Cthulhu and the Mythos in general. The name "The Necromantium" also bears a lot of similarity to the Necronomicon still from the Mythos.
    [LINK DELETED]

Lord of the Rings + H.P. Lovecraft xD And now I'm really curious what that crossover would actually be like
    [LINK DELETED]

Not sure, but it sounds like a reference
    [LINK DELETED]
    [LINK DELETED]

One of the five magi was called Effrenatus
    [LINK DELETED]

There is this Thaumaturge who created some laws. I'm not sure if those are actually magical laws (e.g., how magic operates) or laws about magic (e.g., how should one use magic). Also not sure if relevant but in The Dresden Files, the magical community is bound by the Seven Laws of magic, which basically dictate how to use it responsibly.
    [LINK DELETED]

The judge who sentenced the Royal Tyrant to death was called deWhalley
    [LINK DELETED]

Ancient legend?
    [LINK DELETED]

The Marauder is mentioned here
    [LINK DELETED]

This Harbinger sounds like a...nice guy. Almost. Also tiny bit about the Marauder again.
    [LINK DELETED]

LOL
    [LINK DELETED]

Clearly this guy. Is he the creator of the Runic fansite? At any rate, he's the admin.
    [LINK DELETED]

The Incubus - some sort of demonic being (?) and Empress Sirix III
    [LINK DELETED]

More Lovecraft reference
    [LINK DELETED]

The Magus - the Thaumaturge above came after him
    [LINK DELETED]

Similar to the one about dwarves
    [LINK DELETED]

Not sure but seems significant
    [LINK DELETED]

The Five Magi again, apparently they were ruled by Larissa the Autocrat
    [LINK DELETED]

This Spellgunner...sounds like... a lot of action movies I've seen. :D
    [LINK DELETED]
    [LINK DELETED]

Whoa, that's the unique sets in alphabetical order. That's only till the letter i (inclusive), though. Maybe somebody else can pick after it. There is A LOT in there. And the Lore set is just coming up.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg
  • SharpeSharpe Posts: 351
    Just found the [LINK DELETED] in a chest in Act 1, The Bone Gallery, Mordrox's dungeon, **** elite. It's going to be awesome for my Prismatic Bolt Embermage.

Six-Stick Ring
    Level 16 Unique Ring
    29 Physical Armor
    +9 Electric Armor
    +19 Ice Armor
    +9 Poison Armor
    1 Socket
    4% increase in the amount of gold found
    +10% to All Damage
    +4% to Physical Armor
    All Damage Taken is reduced by 2%

Requires Level 20
    Or
    34 Focus
    The Liubos were a prominent family in the Nine-Kings Provinces.
    RunicID: Sharpe103
  • man, i wish i could find a playable discworld (2) emulation :-(
    runicID:TASTYSHEEPS steamID:XNANOCHEFX -Feel free to add me c:
  • I was told:
    Better late than never... so if people still rely on that, this will link to a Lore Database including the item lore
    loleschHud Mod
    upcomming: THE torchlight expansion :D
  • BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,310 admin
    lolesch wrote:
    I was told:
    Better late than never... so if people still rely on that, this will link to a Lore Database including the item lore

Nice!
    BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames
  • totally NOT finnished jet :(
    BrianW wrote:
    Nice!
    Hey BrianW, you dont have a large size Vilderan Map, dont you? I'm looking for those very tiny names on it, they are really hard to figure out...
    Also: I'm very open about every link to lore, my current resources are the official web site, the lore from Items and quests and sometimes i rely on the torchlight wikia...
    are there any developer interviews or such?

cheerio,
    lolesch
    loleschHud Mod
  • BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,310 admin
    lolesch wrote:
    totally NOT finnished jet :(
    BrianW wrote:
    Nice!
    Hey BrianW, you dont have a large size Vilderan Map, dont you? I'm looking for those very tiny names on it, they are really hard to figure out...
    Also: I'm very open about every link to lore, my current resources are the official web site, the lore from Items and quests and sometimes i rely on the torchlight wikia...
    are there any developer interviews or such?

cheerio,
    lolesch

Probably. Try to get Webbstre to send you a larger pic of the one he has. :D If that doesn't work, I might be able to get something bigger. I feel like we released a map at one point, but maybe not.

Edit: Like this? http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/tor ... lderan.jpg
    Edit 2: Fixed link because they make it super small! Totally wasn't trolling you guys!
    BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames
  • gytfunkegytfunke Posts: 571
    Hey lolesch, here's a 1920 x 1080 version. I know there's another link around the forums somewhere but I just can't remember where.
  • Yeah, the 1920 x 1080 is the biggest out there I guess. Some names I might recommend but those I never heard of are more tuff to encrypt
    just need a better resolution :D
    loleschHud Mod
  • fede1989fede1989 Posts: 263
    This is bad redacted (english is not my first language) but its a recopilation of the lore found in the items

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=56065
    forumskills.gif
    TL2 Legit Vainillla player
    Lore from TL2 (Items lore)
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    I always imagined since my Ember Adventurers guild ended up as canon whenever you find a dead adventurer you've found one of the ones who perished. My head canon is that they're a mix of National Geographic society-style researchers and thrill-seekers. Sort of like a League of Extraordinary Gentlebeings. Pith helmets and monocles without all the imperialism (that's the empires thing) and a bit of progressiveness (just check out the text on the Coif of the Ember Adventurers http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/Coif_o ... dventurers ).

"The Ember Adventurers Guild was a group of thrill seeking adventurers and explorers founded by Zidders Roo-friend. Its members were responsible for mapping many lands that had previously gone unexplored. Stephanie Silversheart, the groups most successful and well-respected leader was responsible for bringing about a change in the empire that led to more forms of equality within the realm and a long period of peace between the nations. After the events in the town of Torchlight the guild and all its members disappeared with out a trace. Scattered sightings of bodies bearing garb known to be worn by members of the guild have been reported however these sightings remain unverified.

It is known that Stephanie was living in the capital city at the time the group disappeared and after the disappearance she became head librarian at the Royal Library. Along with her brother she runs it to this day."
    ItfooQF.png