Any word on when TorchED2 releases?

SoulmancerSoulmancer Posts: 340
edited November 2012 in General Modding
Haven't really found any information about the tentative release date of the editor.
«13

Comments

  • paledoorpaledoor Posts: 211
    They've said several times that it's being polished and that tutorials are being made. No date of any kind has been given.
    There is no birth and no cessation. There is no impurity and no purity. There is no decrease and no increase.
    VajraGuruMantra.gif
  • JoystickMonkeyJoystickMonkey Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, it's being worked on! You want me to send you a PM when there's an official announcement?
    Runic Level Design
    Teaching my Headcrab the finer points of necromancy.
  • Yup, it's being worked on! You want me to send you a PM when there's an official announcement?

    Is this aquestion for everyone/anyone? I'd sure like a PM when it's announced!
  • JoystickMonkeyJoystickMonkey Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭
    Soulmancer made a really extensive and popular D2 mod, so I'm happy to drop him a PM.
    Runic Level Design
    Teaching my Headcrab the finer points of necromancy.
  • DewBerDewBer Posts: 17
    Soulmancer made a really extensive and popular D2 mod, so I'm happy to drop him a PM.

    some are still playing it. cant wait to see what he does with the editor
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    nice, i think TL2 will have a very viable and long life with all these great modders coming over!

    ahh he made **** unleashed, cool!
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

    moty-250.png
  • Well I frequent the forums to see what everyone is working on but I just hadn't heard or seen any news about the editor lately.
  • lyravegalyravega Posts: 338
    Oh man, TorchED2 you say? *drools*

    *gurgle*
    I will be migrating to Steam Workshop soon; not to worry, I won't drop non-Steam support, I will just copy/paste stuff from workshop pages instead of writing same but different "article" three times for every mod.
  • Been checking the forums on a semi-regular basis waiting for its release. Once it's released, I can really begin to enjoy Torchlight 2 in earnest. :3 I've some interesting ideas, but they'll probably be nothing compared to the works of art the community will release.

    I'm eager to get at Torchlight 2's innards! But you took your time releasing Torchlight 2 and really did it right, so I'd say take your time with the editor as well so you can do it just as well.
  • branbran Posts: 359
    edited November 2012
    just because i cant make any mods (apparently because of windows xp where dat->pak conversion is not operating) i have to wait for GUTS. i don't want to rush runic games, but meanwhile im running out of motivation, just because everyone makes wonderful mods and i cant do anything. :(
    - Clouddancer Mod
    - currently working on: "The Gloom"-Mod - fiendish stuff including the Igniter Demon class
    "Never sweet the kiss of cold steel..." (bal sagoth)
    painting stuff - my gallery: http://bran.cgsociety.org/gallery/
  • BTezBTez Posts: 15
    Yup, it's being worked on! You want me to send you a PM when there's an official announcement?

    I was guessing there was going to be a definitive post on both the News section of the forums and on the Runic Twitter feed when the big moment approaches. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned to reassure people where they can be watching to know when the what happens.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭
    bran wrote:
    just because i cant make any mods (apparently because of windows xp where dat->txt conversion is not operating) i have to wait for GUTS. i don't want to rush runic games, but meanwhile im running out of motivation, just because everyone makes wonderful mods and i cant do anything. :(

    So? Plenty of people are going to start making even better mods when GUTS comes out.
    (Also, win7 > xp Seriously. I loved xp, too but Win7 is actually pretty good...unless you enjoy playing Scarface:The World is Yours :( )
    ItfooQF.png
  • branbran Posts: 359
    Zidders wrote:
    bran wrote:
    just because i cant make any mods (apparently because of windows xp where dat->txt conversion is not operating) i have to wait for GUTS. i don't want to rush runic games, but meanwhile im running out of motivation, just because everyone makes wonderful mods and i cant do anything. :(

    So? Plenty of people are going to start making even better mods when GUTS comes out.
    (Also, win7 > xp Seriously. I loved xp, too but Win7 is actually pretty good...unless you enjoy playing Scarface:The World is Yours :( )

    it wasnt meant as an offense, pardon me. :(
    i want to be part of the modding community and learn and share about things. but as long GUTS isnt out yet my hands are tied...

    on work, we use win7, too, its a nice os. but at home, i have xp. i cant change the os on the fly because of program versions & licenses (some are expensive, and i dont want to spend much money on upgrades just because of the possibilty to create pak-files for tl2 (i hope you understand the conflict ill have regarding this ;) ).

    AND i beg that GUTS will be usable under xp. i already offered the gods my soul and some cups of hot coffee!
    - Clouddancer Mod
    - currently working on: "The Gloom"-Mod - fiendish stuff including the Igniter Demon class
    "Never sweet the kiss of cold steel..." (bal sagoth)
    painting stuff - my gallery: http://bran.cgsociety.org/gallery/
  • Hello everybody - an update on the Editor.

    So what are we doing?

    Well first off we have the editor making mods. We can share them locally and play them multiplayer. One of the major hang-ups we are attempting to fix is making the game not crash terribly when you uninstall a mod. So far things are looking great. For instance if you play a character that received specific quests, items, effects, monsters or levels from a specific mod the UI will tell you what will be deleted if you continue without the mod installed. You can also deactivate specific mods per character. We also have the notion of required mods. Required mods would be mods that create specific classes or pet. If you don't have that specific mod installed that character just won't be playable. Also the game has the concept of mods installed and mods active. You can have 200 mods installed but only 3 active. If you specify a character that requires a mod to be active and it currently isn't the game will automatically activate it and you can continue playing with that character. If you select a character that had a bunch of none-required mods active last time played the game will attempt to activate them unless you tell it( the game ) not to by a simple UI check list.

    Oh and yes any character that was ever played with a mod will be flagged.

    We are still going through the editor and making all sorts of fixes for when things are modified via mods. We are attempting to make the editor a little nicer for modder's. For instance all you to do is select the mod your working on and any changes you make or new monsters; rooms; levels; dungeons - anything - will automatically be saved for that mod. The editor will show you a tree view of all the changed files too. It's much nicer than what we had for TL1.

    Release date - I would hate to give specifics but we are also trying to get all the translations out as well as some small expansion packs for the holidays. Read into that as you like. I can say that I feel the mod system we have in place is pretty slick and intuitive - can't wait for you guys to try it out.

    ALSO - we have everybody in the office creating tutorials. So we already have a bunch of how-to's and we are making more all the time.

    Hope everybody has a nice holiday season. I'm going to get back to work now.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭
    Marsh, I could just about kiss you. Thanks for the update, it means a lot and the way you guys are setting it up is even better than I could have expected. Take your time, though. Better to have it out after the holidays and have it as fine tuned as possible. You folks rock!
    Marsh wrote:

    Oh and yes any character that was ever played with a mod will be flagged.
    Hoo boy. This is gonna be the gift that keeps on giving for the next few weeks :P

    Marsh wrote:
    Hope everybody has a nice holiday season. I'm going to get back to work now.
    Happy holidays to all of you and yours, Marsh. Please everyone be safe this holiday season.
    ItfooQF.png
  • DushoDusho Posts: 988
    Thnx Marsh.
    Active mods sounds fine, unless mods will start activating itself and overriding mods lower in priority. Are mods prioritized like it was done in TL1?
    Also hope there is some solution for TL2 patches updating original .PAK file with newest time overriding all your older mod .PAKs (so shutting down mods).
  • Marsh wrote:
    Hello everybody - an update on the Editor.

    So what are we doing?

    Oh and yes any character that was ever played with a mod will be flagged.

    your kidding right? new flag named for modded characters.... or did you just define modding as cheating and if that is true you may as well be.....

    I remember your last flag already hows that one doing.....?
    Cheaters Never Prosper! :) Our World is riddled with Cheats and Frauds good thing they downloaded Rapid Respec or i would probably keep trying to accept their quest!
    Steam = mikerobinsond
  • lyravegalyravega Posts: 338
    Marsh wrote:
    Oh and yes any character that was ever played with a mod will be flagged.

    What kind of a flag are we talking about? If you are going to flag everyone for using any mod, that is a terrible idea. Since there are mods that may be counted as cheats, anyone using other mods that enhance gameplay, UI, etc... will also get flagged and both will be in the same group: flagged for modding. And this is why flagging is a terrible idea, people trying to be legit & avoid flagging will be driven away from mods alltogether. I won't make any mods if it will flag the users, for example. Unless, a white list is also introduced.
    I will be migrating to Steam Workshop soon; not to worry, I won't drop non-Steam support, I will just copy/paste stuff from workshop pages instead of writing same but different "article" three times for every mod.
  • What does 3 active mods mean exactly? If I'm playing a character that requires 4 different mods to support all its items/skills then it won't work?

    Disappointing news regarding the flagging. Will mods made without GUTS (i.e. existing PAK file based mods) also suffer from this? If not, I think I will avoid using GUTS altogether and just stick to other tools. If all mods suffer from this..I don't want to think about that.
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    Maelkyral wrote:
    What does 3 active mods mean exactly? If I'm playing a character that requires 4 different mods to support all its items/skills then it won't work?

    Disappointing news regarding the flagging. Will mods made without GUTS (i.e. existing PAK file based mods) also suffer from this? If not, I think I will avoid using GUTS altogether and just stick to other tools. If all mods suffer from this..I don't want to think about that.


    the 3 is just a number for that character im sure, you probably can have all 200 active if needed.. just that one character only had 3 of the 200, he was showing the non-limits so to say.
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

    moty-250.png
  • DarkTailsDarkTails Posts: 4,148
    lyravega wrote:
    And this is why flagging is a terrible idea, people trying to be legit & avoid flagging will be driven away from mods alltogether.

    How is that a problem? People trying to play legit won't be looking for mods anyway, you can't drive away people who already don't want to use mods anyway. :lol:

    I hope the upcoming DLC won't be christmas themed, so sick of christmas. Turkeys on the other hand, I could stare at Torchlight Turkeys running around on screen and gobbling all day long :lol:
  • Salan wrote:
    the 3 is just a number for that character im sure, you probably can have all 200 active if needed.. just that one character only had 3 of the 200, he was showing the non-limits so to say.

    Ah I see. My bad then, I misunderstood.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭
    myhideout6 wrote:

    your kidding right? new flag named for modded characters.... or did you just define modding as cheating and if that is true you may as well be.....

    I remember your last flag already hows that one doing.....?
    lyravega wrote:
    What kind of a flag are we talking about? If you are going to flag everyone for using any mod, that is a terrible idea. Since there are mods that may be counted as cheats, anyone using other mods that enhance gameplay, UI, etc... will also get flagged and both will be in the same group: flagged for modding. And this is why flagging is a terrible idea, people trying to be legit & avoid flagging will be driven away from mods alltogether. I won't make any mods if it will flag the users, for example. Unless, a white list is also introduced.

    Once people start using GUTS, modded characters WILL NOT be able to go into unmodded games and vice versa. That's how it was supposed to work the entire time. Non-GUTS mods are in NO way supported by Runic, so none of the current mods out there factor into things and the odds are pretty good that GUTS integration will break a boatload of them.

    It will only flag characters that are modded. Since you're using a mod, you're obviously going to only be playing that character with people who are also using that mod, therefor you have zero to worry about because the people who also have the mod will understand why that character is flagged...so there's absolutely no reason to panic and freak out. You need to try using a little common sense.
    ItfooQF.png
  • Zidders wrote:
    You need to try using a little common sense.
    /agree
  • lyravegalyravega Posts: 338
    DarkTails wrote:
    How is that a problem? People trying to play legit won't be looking for mods anyway, you can't drive away people who already don't want to use mods anyway. :lol:
    It seems you don't know the meaning of the word "legit". UI mods, replacements, gameplay mods, conversions, (balanced) new classes, new skills, skillsets, items, etc... all still fall in "legit" category. Legit != Vanilla
    Zidders wrote:
    It will only flag characters that are modded. Since you're using a mod, you're obviously going to only be playing that character with people who are also using that mod, therefor you have zero to worry about because the people who also have the mod will understand why that character is flagged...so there's absolutely no reason to panic and freak out. You need to try using a little common sense.
    Blatant cheat mods & other mods will have the same flag, that is my problem. Common sense? Where is the common sense in flagging both the same?
    I will be migrating to Steam Workshop soon; not to worry, I won't drop non-Steam support, I will just copy/paste stuff from workshop pages instead of writing same but different "article" three times for every mod.
  • conscaconsca Posts: 66
    Zidders wrote:
    It will only flag characters that are modded. Since you're using a mod, you're obviously going to only be playing that character with people who are also using that mod, therefor you have zero to worry about because the people who also have the mod will understand why that character is flagged...so there's absolutely no reason to panic and freak out. You need to try using a little common sense.
    Hypothetical person LOVES vanilla TL2, the gameplay, the mechanics, the levelling, but for some obtusely personal reason he thinks that the HP/MP orbs are boring and wants to change the texture. Now he can't play TL2 with the rest of his "unmodded, legit, vanilla" friends who don't want to install the mod because they on the other hand think the new texture ****.

    No one's freaking out. We're just saying that there should be some form of distinction between mods, if possible. It does not make any "common sense", as highlighted by lyravega, that all forms of mods are given this blanket treatment of flagging.
  • PandoraPandora Posts: 336
    It's not like the flag is gonna say !!! this dude cheats !!!
    It'll say.. this character in some point in his career has used one or more mods that may or may not have effected gameplay.


    so calm down a little?

    also, how do you propose the flagger picks up on what mods are cheat mods and which are content/overhaul/ui mods?
    what stops some content mods from being cheat mods?

    sure, we could have some list that it runs checks against, but all you need to do is open the file in GUTS and change the title (maybe even just rename the file in explorer) and it'll disappear from the list?
    are we going to block people from playing the game online because they have little known mods?


    common sense -_-

    how about we tell people you have played with that you have used a mod.
    and let the person playing with you (consider that you need to be using most of the same mods (at least content ones)) decide if its a cheat mod or not.
  • conscaconsca Posts: 66
    Pandora wrote:
    It's not like the flag is gonna say !!! this dude cheats !!!
    It'll say.. this character in some point in his career has used one or more mods that may or may not have effected gameplay.
    We have only 1 precedent case of flagging in TL2, which is console spawned items, and they very beautifully display the BIG RED LETTERS you talk about. Granted, console items and mods are very different entities, but until we have official word from the devs regarding the extent to which flagging is done, my concern is no less valid than your viewpoint.
    Pandora wrote:
    how about we tell people you have played with that you have used a mod.
    and let the person playing with you (consider that you need to be using most of the same mods (at least content ones)) decide if its a cheat mod or not.
    You are missing the point ENTIRELY. Re-read my post, thanks.
  • KsajalKsajal Posts: 76
    Marsh wrote:
    ...
    Oh and yes any character that was ever played with a mod will be flagged.
    ...

    So are you going to pigeonhole everyone who uses a mod a cheater? Or are you going to simply state that they are using mods?

    I feel that I have to ask this because that's how you chose to do with the people who spammed items from the console, a feature you yourselves introduced.
    Empyrean wrote:
    Do you think I'm some sort of literary forensic scientist? If not, why are you showing me the scene of this crime against the English language and expecting me to piece together what took place?
  • armisarmis Posts: 489
    Hi!

    Behind all the UI work, will the mods actually still be supplemental PAK files in the game's directory or will you directly patch the DATA.PAK file or some other direct modification of game files?

    Also, I could not care less about the flag (and if I did, I'm pretty sure that it'll take Chthon 2 days to figure out how to remove it anyway :P). Just so you know some of us aren't going nuclear over this. :)
    Have a question about game mechanics? Start here.
    Everything you ever wanted to know about Embermage skills.
    Wondering if you should pick Flame Hammer or Emberquake? This is for you.
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.