Alchemist build: The Beamer.

evetsevets Posts: 141
edited February 2014 in Alchemist Discussions
This build came to me the other night while I was listening to the song "Beaming" by Relient K. :) Basically, it's built around the theme of lasers, 'cause y'know, "LAZORS ARE KEWL!1oneone!!!" So without further ado, I present: The Beamer.

Core Skills (all 10/10 skill points)
- Ember Lance
- Beam Sentry
- Beam Golem
- Ember Shield
- Critical Strikes

Optional Skills
- Armor Expertise (for the increased armor %)
- Adventurer (always useful)
- Block and parry (if you use a shield, this can make it godly)
- Advanced Spellcasting (for mana regen)

Basically, this build takes ember lance, and tries to fill in some of the weaknesses of using it. Mainly, only being able to shoot in 1 direction. The sentry and golem throw out lasers everywhere for decent damage and keep the monsters off your back. It turns out to be a kind of hybrid caster/pet master. I'll need to experiment with gear that boost my pet's stats, as well as getting better summon spells.

I havn't tried it for very long yet, but its really fun so far. I'm level 40 or so, just in the first few levels of the endless dungeon on Hard/softcore mode. I'll let you guys know if it works well.
glider.png

Comments

• you could always max pet mastery and get some bonus damage there. You can have well over 150 skill points to spend at the end of the game.
  • MichaelMichael Posts: 263
    Sounds like a fun build. If you really want to get crazy, you can install the mod that changes imps into those little beam shooting mechanical thingies (forgot their name).

"Imma chargin mah lazor ARMY!!!" :lol:
  • theBOBtheBOB Posts: 47
    This does sound like a fun build!
    Al Swearengen: What's the matter — taken by a vision? You would not want to be staring like that at me.
  • PuckPuck Posts: 15
    Michael wrote:
    Sounds like a fun build. If you really want to get crazy, you can install the mod that changes imps into those little beam shooting mechanical thingies (forgot their name).

"Imma chargin mah lazor ARMY!!!" :lol:

Occuli mod. :)
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrkZrq_loTk

looks nice. but what about this teleport skill? you could use it as well
  • So far my favorite Alchy play style is along a similar line of thinking, except I chose Ember Lightning instead, because the Beam Golem is also lightning (until last rank) and with the Beam Sentry everything is in pulses as we'll. So I think it fits the theme better, and I also had a Giant Electric Eel I had been holding for a long time (first giant fish I ever got iirc) and that really completes the fun with seeing at least* four beams locking onto a mob at the same time while it flies across the screen in mortal agony!

*So... this seemed like a good place to mention a little trick that I stumbled across, that I don't know if it's been discussed or what versions it does or doesn't work in, I've only played XBLA game: probably everyone knows how to get more Imps, but you can also get one Golem for each skill rank, it just works in reverse. So you won't unsummon the current Golem if you summon a LOWER level Golem. For some reason that doesn't work with a level 11 and level 10 Beam Golem using The Legendary Gravity's Grasp, but as near as I can tell there's no real difference between them, so it makes me wonder if this is a deliberate little Easter egg with that weapon? Basically the way I play it is to stop at rank 9 BG so that when I need to replace dead ones just summon the level 10 and unequip to summon a level 9. Beautiful!

Of course for the cost of a mere 9 respec potions and a couple minutes of button clicking you can have 20 golems running around at once... that's sort of fun too. /irony

But that's become part of my all out exploit build for playing VH:HC, with a perma-summon theme and using all the free gifts and cheap exploits the game gives you. So with a troll, ilovebees and a respec potion I just hit the Vault with Brink and from level 29 on (Barter cheat) it's Golem army galore! Again, beautiful.