Help - How do I change the game's save location?

DarkLinkDarkLink Posts: 22
edited November 2012 in TL2 General Discussions
On one of my computers, I have Torchlight 2 installed on my D drive because I reimage my C drive every few days. However, Torchlight 2 still saves my characters and settings to my C drive. Is there any way to change where the game saves my data? I realize I can just copy it back and forth, but that's kind of inconvenient and I would rather have a solution that can't be messed up by me forgetting to do it. Even if it requires a mod or external application, I would like hear about any possible solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    Probably not the answer you're looking for, but I use a symbolic link to migrate the entire Users/ directory to my D:\ drive.

You could also just migrate the save directory.

Problem is that you'd have to recreate the symbolic link each time you redid the C:\ drive, so not very convenient.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • SharpeSharpe Posts: 351
    In your Runic folder, where your save currently is, there's a file called Ogre.LOG. Open it and do a search for save.

Mine looks like this:
    22:14:34: Path for saving is ... C:\Users\Sharpe\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\SAVE

I'm guessing if you change that, it will save your game wherever you want.
    RunicID: Sharpe103
  • Sharpe wrote:
    In your Runic folder, where your save currently is, there's a file called Ogre.LOG. Open it and do a search for save.

Mine looks like this:
    22:14:34: Path for saving is ... C:\Users\Sharpe\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\SAVE

I'm guessing if you change that, it will save your game wherever you want.

I'll give that a try, but the fact that it's in a folder that defaults to the C: drive makes me think it won't work. If TL2 is expecting that file to say where the saves are located, then it will also be looking for that file in the place where you found it. Therefore, reimaging my drive will also get rid of the modified configuration file and TL2 will go back to looking for my save in the default spot.

What I'm wondering right now is why Runic didn't just keep the save files to be with the installation by default, but whatever. More suggestions are much appreciated.
  • ActiActi Posts: 34
    You could create a symbolic link to the directory where you want the files to be stored.
    This can be done with junction http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96768.aspx

Example: junction "C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\save" "D:\save"
    (Move the save directory to the new destination, before using junction)
  • Acti wrote:
    You could create a symbolic link to the directory where you want the files to be stored.
    This can be done with junction http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96768.aspx

Example: junction "C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\save" "D:\save"

I looked in to this, but my understanding of it is that the junction will no longer be functional after I reimage my drive, making it pointless.
  • ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    DarkLink wrote:
    Acti wrote:

I looked in to this, but my understanding of it is that the junction will no longer be functional after I reimage my drive, making it pointless.

You'd have to recreate the junction each time you re-imaged the drive. Compared to reimaging a drive, executing a single command shouldn't be that hard.

Btw, what the heck are you doing that requires reimaging the drive that frequently?
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    ...I think a better question would be "Why are you reimaging your hard drive every few days?"

o.0
    (I'm just curious. Is this something that needs to be done on a regular basis? It's seems so annoying to have to do so frequently)
    ItfooQF.png
  • ActiActi Posts: 34
    DarkLink wrote:

If you can access the image file, you can replace the save directory with the symbolic link there
  • Acti wrote:
    DarkLink wrote:

If you can access the image file, you can replace the save directory with the symbolic link there

I guess I'll have to see if this is a possibility. As for those wondering why, I honestly have no idea. The PC belongs to someone else and they're the one responsible for the constant reimaging.
  • AshnalAshnal Posts: 312
    Isn't there a %USERPROFILE% system environment variable for windows? Couldn't you change that in your image's registry so that every time you reimage, windows already knows where your user related documents are?
    Not entirely sure about this, but I think there's a registry key somewhere that sets the C:\Users path. You could solve your issue by changing it to D:\Users, I'm just not quite sure how to do that >_>
  • If you use Steam version saves are stored in cloud too...
    steamaw.php?id=skladzien&pngimg=shiny_rounded_long&achieve=TorchlightII&tborder=2
  • VinmarVinmar Posts: 13
    Google moving user profile with the name of your operating system and there will be links that will tell you how to do it.
  • is the save location hard coded into the game or something? seems like there aught to be a settings file somewhere with that
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the OP is like me. I have done things like playing Russian Roulette with the registry and see how many reboots it takes after deleting a registry key at a random spot. But then again I had about 10 working computers at the time.
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • Why not just change your path setting of "My Documents"?
    If you set it to disk D, then your save path move to disk D also. :lol:
  • VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    lurker23 wrote:
    Why not just change your path setting of "My Documents"?
    If you set it to disk D, then your save path move to disk D also. :lol:
    This was my first idea, too. It's the most logical thing to do when a whole partition is not reliable but you need information that is stored automatically there. Move My Doculents and done - you have everything stored in My Documents forever. Alternatively, just set up syncing of whatever it is you want saved (the TL2 directory in this case) you can have it automatically synced to a different partition, or an external drive, or even the Interner, with something like Dropbox (also, Steam has its own cloud storage but it wouldn't work if you want more than just the saves). This would definitely be my second option, since it also acts as a backup, and if you get the saves on an external storage or the Internet, you can play anywhere you want.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg
  • Runic has the right idea. The option to change it is more of a nice to have but i would rather they focus on bug fixes and mod tools.

The "My _______" folders are designed that way in windows Vista and forward as a way to catch all the user customization / settings / saves. This way automated backup and restore process are easily configured for large enterprises and groups of people. The "physical location" of the "user library" or "profile" can be re-directed to any location. This can be done via a script, Group Policy (local or Domain), or manually.

I would suggest you set up an automated backup solution to sync your user profile to a USB / eSata drive or to a folder on the D:\ drive on a regular interval (nightly?). When the system gets re-imaged by the owner, you just run the automated restore process. reboot and - ALL your custom settings and data are back.

Many of the external drives include free "One Button" backup and restore. Some even include option to keep a 2nd copy of that backup in "the cloud".
  • robisinho wrote:
    is the save location hard coded into the game or something? seems like there aught to be a settings file somewhere with that

What games have you been playing? 9/10 times (more like 49/50 times) a user will have absolutely no control over where a game saves....
  • What games have you been playing? 9/10 times (more like 49/50 times) a user will have absolutely no control over where a game saves....

I wasn't writing about any other game. I was writing a question about this game. Different games have different levels of textual configuration, and different levels of modding accessible. This game has a high level of that accessibility, so it makes sense to ask.
  • LisaFrontierLisaFrontier Posts: 1

100% working for me