[Guide] Lightning Mage - Shockbolts (Elite viable /w video)

kelvinwankelvinwan Posts: 43
edited February 2013 in Embermage Discussions
Disclaimer:
  • This guide is for Embermages who wish to use their Storm skill tree as their main offense (in particular, Shockbolts, Wand Chaos and Thunder Locus).
  • This guide is also written under the assumption that you have some fundamental knowledge in Embermages.
  • Some of the information written may be inaccurate, and any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Update Log:
Updated 'Game Play Video' section on a short game play video of act Boss fights
Updated 'Game Play Video' section on a short game play video on the dungeon mod 'Tartarus Extreme'
(removed older game play video of 'final boss fight' and 'lag + damage testing on Target Dummy')
Updated 'Equipment Selection' section on Weapons
'Random Notes' section added

'Stat Point Allocation' section added 'Equipment Selection' section added

'Optional Skills' section added Short game play video on 'Lag + damage testing on Target Dummy' added

Original post created 'Overview', 'Mandatory Skills' and 'Recommended Skills' sections added Short game play video of 'Final boss fight' added

Overview:
This build revolves around casting Shockbolts to trigger Wand Chaos, with Thunder Locus as a backup skill for various situations. At point-blank range, this is probably the fastest and most reliable method to trigger Wand Chaos (a passive skill) quickly. Shockbolts is a skill based on Weapon DPS (able to activate status effects), while the random damage dealing effects from Wand Chaos are scaled to character level. In theory, this combination brings out the best of both worlds from a single offensive skill. The overall damage dealt can be quite substantial, which can be seen in the short gameplay video below.

Game Play Video:
Shockbolts Embermage - Act Boss Fights (Elite NG+5)

Shockbolts Embermage - Tartarus Extreme (Elite NG+5)

Mandatory Skills:
Shockbolts
Skill points recommended: 10 or 15
shockbolts.png
"You release 4 electrically charged bolts, which follow the ground and ricochet off neighboring objects."
Each cast of Shockbolts consists of 4 bolts (5 bolts at Tier 3). At point-blank range, all bolts will be able to hit a target to deal damage. These bolts have a chance to trigger Wand Chaos to activate a range of random spells, dealing even more damage. However, using ShockBolts as your main offense has several disadvantages:
  • Character survivability issues
    Unlike most other Embermage builds which focus on casting offensive spells from afar, this build requires an Embermage to be in melee range for the most efficient damage output and charge building. You will require much better gear to survive compared to other Embermages, especially in Elite difficulty.
  • Unstable damage output
    At Rank 15, Wand Chaos has a 36% chance to activate random effects. However, not all effects deal damage. While Shockbolts almost ensures triggering of Wand Chaos at least once per cast, the effects of Wand Chaos are randomized. The most annoying effects are probably Prismatic Rift (teleports enemies away) and Fire Storm (67% chance that target Flees for 5 seconds), which slows down your killing speed.
  • Unreliable at long distances
    While you can spam Shockbolts to attempt taking out foes from afar, this is not really effective especially as the random path taken by each Bolt might miss your target completely. In addition to that, the slow movement of the Bolts will probably result in you taking hits from ranged foes before you can kill them.
  • Difficulty in breaking shields
    Perhaps due to the relatively low Weapon DPS % of Shockbolts, breaking shields with this skill is relatively inefficient (even at point-blank range). When your bolts are blocked, you cannot trigger Wand Chaos to activate, which lowers your killing speed considerably.
  • Graphics-intensive effects
    With a single cast of Shockbolts, you can trigger multiple Wand Chaos effects simultaneously at once. Combined with the camera shake caused by some effects, this build probably stresses your graphics card more than other builds. In addition, the multiple effects displayed on the screen sometimes makes it more difficult to notice incoming attacks.

Wand Chaos
Skill points recommended: 15
wandchaos.png
"Attacks using your wand can result in bizarre, random elemental disturbances. These effects can also happen with the Magma Mace, Magma Spear, Icy Blast and Shockbolts skills."
With a wand equipped, Shockbolts is able to trigger Wand Chaos to activate 1 of the 9 effects. The chance to activate each effect is totally random, thus there is no way to control which effect works best for different situations. Here is a brief breakdown of these effects:
  • Acid Rain
    100% chance to inflict poison, damage over time (8 seconds)
  • Blinding Cloud
    50% chance to silence (6 seconds), 100% chance to blind (6 seconds)
  • Chaotic Rift
    100% chance to teleport and stun (2 seconds), 15% chance to inflict burn/freeze/shock/poison (7 seconds)
  • Fire Storm
    100% chance to inflict burn, damage over time, 67% chance to flee (5 seconds)
  • Glacial Spike
    Chance to inflict freeze (%?), ice damage, 100% chance immobilize (4 seconds)
  • Meteor Strike
    Chance to inflict burn (%?), fire damage, 150 knockback
  • Raise Shadowling
    100% chance to summon Shadowbat on hit (20 seconds)
  • Scalding Geyser
    100% chance to bleed (4 seconds), 100% chance to inflict silence (4 seconds), movement speed reduced by 33% (currently bugged to increase movement speed)
  • Thunder
    Electric damage, 100% chance to shock (5 seconds)

Thunder Locus
thunderlocus.png
"You summon a concentrated thunderstorm at a target location, which blasts foes within 7 meters for the duration of its existence. Thunder Locus does not build Charge."
Once casted, Thunder Locus will appear stationary on the screen for a duration to blast foes near to it. While this skill suffers from issues like slow casting time and a slightly long cool down, it does help to make up for the shortcomings of Shockbolts in these 2 ways:
  • You can cast this skill anywhere on the screen, which is an alternative method to kill ranged foes. There are situations where it is too dangerous to move in to kill them with point-blank Shockbolts.
  • Thunder Locus is excellent in breaking shields, something which Shockbolts is quite poor at. Another method to deal with shielded foes is to cast a Thunder Locus behind them and they will not be able to block the blast.

Recommended Skills:
Frost Phase
Skill points recommended: 1
frostphase.png
"You vanish from one location and instantly reappear in another, dealing cold damage in both places within a 2.5 meter burst."
A teleport skill that helps to avoid attacks, move around faster and goes through several obstacles. Although Frost Phase is very useful to every Embermage, this skill is probably even more crucial to this specific build. Here are the reasons why:
  • You can almost instantly Frost Phase up close to point-blank range and cast Shockbolts, which boosts you offense capabilities greatly. When foes are hit with flee or teleport effects from Wand Chaos, you can continue your offense with another Frost Phase to get back into range.
  • This build requires an Embermage to be into point-blank range for the best damage output. However, getting too close will sometimes result in Shockbolts totally missing the target. The slight knockback from Frost Phase helps to prevent this issue. In the event you find your Shockbolts totally unable to hit your target at point-blank range, re-position yourself slightly with another Frost Phase.

Immolation Aura
immolationaura.png
"A vortex of flame surrounds you, damaging foes within a 3 meter radius."
While the damage dealt by Immolation Aura is negligible, the Tier Bonus from this skill absorbs a percentage of all incoming damage (15% at Tier 3). With the recent patch that removes the long cool down, this provides another reason to invest in Immolation Aura.

Ice Prison
Skill points recommended: 1
iceprison.png
"You summon pillars of ice around a target, trapping it within. You, however, can pass through the barrier. Pillars reflect damage back at foes attacking them."
Unlike most Embermages who use this skill to prevent foes from approaching close, you will be mainly using this skill to prevents foes from running away. Some examples are Dune Mother, Mobile Sentry, Mobile Spawner and bosses/champions fleeing away in fear from the effects of Fire Storm. If you are focusing on building a Shock Embermage who deals primarily lightning damage, avoid getting this skill to Tier 1 or above as Ice Prison deals considerable damage on shatter.

Fire/Ice/Lighting Brands
Skill points recommended: 15 for Lightning Brand, 1 to 15 for Fire/Ice Brands
allbrands.png
"When you hit a burning/frozen/shocked enemy, you do an additional burst of fire/ice/lightning damage."
A passive skill which enables you to deal extra damage when the foes are in a burning, frozen or shocked state. The random effects from Wand Chaos has a possible chance to inflict these states. As a general guideline: When you do not have enough skill points, you can add points to each Brand based on the following priority:
    1. Lighting Brand (Chance to be triggered by Shockbolts and 100% chance to be triggered by Thunder) 2. Fire Brand (100% chance to be triggered by Fire Storm and chance to be triggered by Meteor Strike) 3. Ice Brand (chance to be triggered by Glacial Spike)

Elemental Attunement
Skill points recommended: 1 to 15
elementalattunement.png
"The Embermage is finely attuned to the elements, inflicting elemental effects on nearby enemies and extending the duration of all elemental effects."
A passive skill which works like an aura, with a chance to inflicting burn, freeze, shock and poison to nearby foes. Elemental Attunement also increases the duration of these elemental effects. As an Embermage who needs to move up close to spam Shockbolts, it is worth investing in this skill as an additional measure to inflict elemental effects, which will also increase the chance of the brands triggering as well.

Charge Mastery
Skill points recommended: 1 to 15
chargemastery.png
"Your expertise with Charge lets you gain it faster, and retain it longer."
A passive skill which increases the rate of you gain charge from certain skills. In the recent patch, Shockbolts is finally able to gain charge on hit. The amount of charge gained is based on the amount of damage you do. But with the relatively low damage of Shockbolts, this skill helps to build charge faster for mana management. Although you can probably ignore this skill with good mana regeneration equipment and socketables, survivability should be your top priority when you are selecting your gear. This skill comes down to a lot on personal preference.

Optional Skills:
Disclaimer: Comments regarding the skills below are not based on experience, but on theory instead. Please read at your own discretion.
Elemental Boon
elementalboon.png
"You imbue yourself with a bolstering aura which increases your elemental damages and resistances. Boon's benefits are also applied to any allies within 12 meters."
Elemental Boon increases both your elemental damage and resistance by a certain percentage for 15 seconds (cool down 30 seconds). The added element resistance might be useful in certain situations and added damage always helps. However, the short effective duration with long cool down seems to deter some Embermages from investing in this skill.

Death Bounty
deathbounty.png
"You bind the lifeforce of all foes within 6 meters of the target. Upon their death, their life and mana are drawn to you or other players through 3 soul bolts. Stated health and mana recovery is per soul bolt."
A controversial skill which is occasionally debated over its effectiveness. Once you cast this skill on foes and kill them, you gain a portion of your life and mana back in the form of health and mana recovery. Since this Shockbolts Embermage build is more likely to take damage compared to other Embermage builds, Death Bounty might be a good additional tool to help you stay alive.

Frozen Fate
frozenfate.png
"When you kill an enemy, you have chance to freeze up to 4 additional enemies within a 7 meter radius."
Upon killing a foe, this passive skill provides a chance to immobilize other foes nearby. This is another potentially useful skill to prevent foes from running away from you. Since Fire Storm (an effect from Wand Chaos) has a high chance to inflict fear, a foe with a fleeing and immobilize status will probably stand there and do nothing.

Stat Point Allocation:
Similar to most Embermage builds, investing in Focus is highly advisable to boost the damage of your spells. The other stats are of equal importance as well, but should be invested with some moderation. An easy way is to invest all your stat points into Focus when you level up, while enchanting your gear with attributes to boost your overall stats. Here are a few points to take note:
  • Strength
    Increases Critical Damage and Shockbolts damage
  • Dexterity
    Increases Critical Chance and Dodge Chance (about 300 points will be sufficient as Dexterity has diminishing returns)
  • Focus
    Increases mana and damage of all skills
  • Vitality
    Increases Health and Armor Bonus and Block Chance (about 180 points will be sufficient for maximum block rate if you are using [LINK DELETED]

Equipment Selection:
    Weapon
    To trigger Wand Chaos, you will need to have a Wand equipped. As Shockbolts is a skill based on Weapon DPS, both the damage and options of your Wand will contribute to the overall damage output of this build. In fact, any high level Wand can be used based on your preference except [LINK DELETED] which has a high chance of teleporting your foes away. Here are a few recommendations:
    [LINK DELETED]
    [LINK DELETED]
  • Augmented wand

Armor
Survivability will probably be one of the major concerns for this build, thus Armor selection is very important. As a general guideline, your Armor should:
  • be as high level as possible for better Physical/Elemental armor bonuses, and better enchantment bonuses.
  • have socketables for Damage Reduction (capped at 75%) and Health.
  • include equipping a shield with enough Vitality for high Block Chance (capped at 75%)

Random Notes:
[LINK DELETED]
[*]As a DPS skill, Shockbolts is able to activate status debuffs to your target from your equipment. Getting at least 3 pieces of the [LINK DELETED] set for the Silence is highly recommended to make boss fights a lot safer. Alternatively, a wand with Silence works equally good as well.[/*]
[*]To turn off the camera shake effects, go to your Torchlight 2 folder and look for a 'settings.txt'. Open this text file and look for 'NO CAMERA SHAKE :0'. Change the value from '0' to '1' and save the file. This will disable the massive shaking effects caused by Wand Chaos, which helps make your game more playable.[/*]
[*]There are a bug which prevents Shockbolts from hitting a few foes (the spell passes through these foes harmlessly). From my knowledge, these foes are the Mobile Spawner and Mobile Sentry and Turrets. Kill them with a Thunder Locus or with any other skills.[/*][/list]

Conclusion:
While the Shockbolts Embermage has respectable damage output, there are several distinct disadvantages that are also specific to this build (due to the close proximity needed to spam Shockbolts efficiently). Overall this build is an efficient boss/champion killer, while having only average capabilities in everything else.

If this build works well for you, do let me know. Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    First of all, welcome, and great first post here.

Second, that is a very interesting build, indeed. I suggest moving Lightning Brand in the Mandatory Skills block, since you will be casting lots of Shockbolts. I can't think of more at the momen, I mean, I am able to, however, I'd rather see a more complete version.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg
  • AcalanathaAcalanatha Posts: 232
    edited December 2012
    On the netherlord video: how do you manage to not get hit while staying so close? I saw one block, but there were more swings. Do you frost phase right behind him?

There were two blocks, actually. Also, he might have dodged the hits? In this game, there is nothing to indicate that you've dodged something (I could be wrong), so that might be it. Also, some were windups for the flame spit, which didn't hit the OP because OP was sticking right next to Mister Netherlord. In any case, that's my take on it. We'll have to wait for OP to respond. :D

EDIT: Turns out you can see the word dodge if you set your damage numbers to verbose.
  • Acalanatha wrote:
    On the netherlord video: how do you manage to not get hit while staying so close? I saw one block, but there were more swings. Do you frost phase right behind him?

There were two blocks, actually. Also, he might have dodged the hits? In this game, there is nothing to indicate that you've dodged something (I could be wrong), so that might be it. Also, some were windups for the flame spit, which didn't hit the OP because OP was sticking right next to Mister Netherlord. In any case, that's my take on it. We'll have to wait for OP to respond. :D
    Yes there were two blocks. However, I am not sure if there were any dodges or were some swings interrupted instead, as there were so many damage numbers overlapping on the screen.

The overall tactic is to Frost Phase behind Netherlord as bigger foes tend to turn more slowly. At least that is how I feel about it :)
  • i am interested in trying this pure lightning mage as i am a huge fan of lightning spells in almost any game. currently lvl 14 and just got my thunder locus. but i noticed that i lack a main spell to kill quickly before i reach lvl 35 for shockbolts. any suggestions on **** faster until i get my shockbolts?
  • VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    Get 1 point in Prismatic Bolt. Alternatively...grit your teeth and go with wand/staff (or another weapon) - it would be hard but probably doable. Or you can use Shocking Burst, although it's might be a bit weird.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg
  • i finally got my shockbolts
    for now, my killing speed of using shockbolts alone is about the same as using prismatic bolts
    the difference would be that the bizzare effects from wand chaos helps to further increase my killing speed
    except that i do not really know which bizzare effect is which spell, except for that obvious meteor falling from the sky

anyway, this is definitely more fun than prismatic bolts :mrgreen:
  • Would Icy Blast work about as well as Shock Bolts in this build? Seems like they are similar in that they both proc wand chaos and are effective at close range.
  • pl4tpl4t Posts: 26
    hi!
    1.your build seems very cool, can you please upload a video of you doing mapworks or some general gameplay? i want to see how this build fights mobs.
    2.this is the build im aiming for, currently elite lvl20, and dont have shockbolts. for now i just thunderlocus and spear them to trigger wand chaos. [LINK DELETED]
    plan is to thunderlocus, DB them and then spear the trash from afar. for bosses and elites, i phase in and shock their faces. if anything gets too close i shock it too. magma spear seems to trigger wand chaos at a decent rate... you think it will work on elite NG+'s?
    3. do you think it is a good idea to socket the wand with X% to trigger gems, or just plain +200 damage skulls?

thanks!
  • Hi there :D
    pl4t wrote:
    1.your build seems very cool, can you please upload a video of you doing mapworks or some general gameplay? i want to see how this build fights mobs.
    Unfortunately, some of my Embermage's equipment were destroyed (for the socketables) as I was trying to make a new Outlander build, thus I am unable to upload any general gam eplay video as of now :cry:
    Putting it into words, you can just stand still and take out normal foes as they approach you using Shockbolts. Reserve your Thunder Locus for champions/bosses, shielded foes and ranged foes.
    pl4t wrote:
    2.this is the build im aiming for, currently elite lvl20, and dont have shockbolts. for now i just thunderlocus and spear them to trigger wand chaos. [LINK DELETED]
    plan is to thunderlocus, DB them and then spear the trash from afar. for bosses and elites, i phase in and shock their faces. if anything gets too close i shock it too. magma spear seems to trigger wand chaos at a decent rate... you think it will work on elite NG+'s?
    As far as I know, Magma Spear is not affected by fast cast, thus limiting its potential. It could turn out to be decent as well, but for me I prefer to build an Embermage with only lightning spells as offense.
    pl4t wrote:
    3. do you think it is a good idea to socket the wand with X% to trigger gems, or just plain +200 damage skulls?
    In my opinion, socketing your Wand with [LINK DELETED] are probably the best choices, as you will be depending on Wand Chaos for most of your damage (I am using a 4 socketed wand).

There are 2 other wands which I am very interested in:
    [LINK DELETED]
    This wand seems to be customed made for this build. While the fast cast and Electrical Damage bonuses are good, the most impressive is the 25% chance to cast Thunder. If you socket this wand with 2 [LINK DELETED], you will have a 35% chance to cast Thunder (which is almost the same chance to trigger a max leveled Wand Chaos). Unfortunately for me, I have no luck in finding this wand...

Multiple Augmented Wand
    Refer to this link for more information. As Shockbolts is a DPS skill, it is able to make use of the various useful opts on a multiple Augmented wand (eg. Chance to break shields, conveys damage over time, conveys chance to Stun target, etc).
    [/list]

The most interesting thing about Shockbolts is that it is a spammable DPS skill that does multiple hits in a single cast, triggering Wand Chaos and activating multiple effects from your equipment.
  • That is really nice build. :)

I just want to ask you how do you keep mana and charge bar constantly maxed?
    And does shock bolts steal life and mana per hit?
  • pl4tpl4t Posts: 26
    im leveling the build i posted above (shockbolts + magma spears, currently 40) in elite, and its the most fun i have ever had playing torchlight 2. stuff happening all over my screen, tactical usage of thunder locus, death's bounty shenanigans... its **** awesome!! i kill bosses in less than 1 min in elite, and i died only 3 times, 2 of them from blades on ground (**** YOU).

my thoughts
    1. magma spears are perfect for this build. they help me destroy lined groups, kill stuff from a huge distance (playing on cameradistance 1.5) and trigger wand chaos without getting in melee range, if the enemy is too dangerous. of course they trigger wand chaos less than shockbolts, but even on low levels (14% trigger) they triggered it fast enough to make me use a vanila 50 dps wand over a 100 dps staff.
    2. cast speed is super important for this build on elite. magma spears have a long windup time, and in order to be mobile , id suggest at least 30% cast speed. thunder locus is even worse, and without cast speed can get you killed if you use it at the wrong time. shockbolts need it for spamming...
    3. death's bounty is great. it saves you some pots, and lets you spam all your skills without getting mana screwed. also when fighting bosses, use it on the minions, and let the splash damage from thunderlocus, wand chaos and shockbolts destroy them.
    4. charge mastery is very important for the lower levels. because low level shockbolts deal so little damage and take so much mana, getting charged will help you spam them.
    5. you NEED to have all brands at level 1, but leveling them above that is your last priority - every point past the first adds very little damage, so invest in the brands only when you havr NOTHING else to invest in. i still have all my brands in level 1, and my level is 40.
    6. -armor on hit is a great stat for lower levels! because you hit enemy many times per second, degrading their armor can casue some serious damage. maybe on level100, using -754 armor skull can be good, because you will hit bosses more than 10 times per second, which degrades 7500 armor per second. thats more than 50000 extra damage the next second, without counting wand chaos hits...
    7. blades on ground are your worse enemy.

thank you for this build kelvinwan!
  • protyve wrote:
    I just want to ask you how do you keep mana and charge bar constantly maxed?
    And does shock bolts steal life and mana per hit?
    At point blank, all Shockbolts hit the target which bring the Charge bar up fairly quickly.
    Shockbolts does not steal life and mana per hit. I believe only Magma Mace does that.
    pl4t wrote:
    thank you for this build kelvinwan!
    You're welcome :D
  • A few questions to the starter

How was your character doing in Luminous Arena? Was it easy, or difficult, what tactics were you using there?
    And what was your deaths count on that char?

Luminous Arena is managable as it is a fixed map. When moving in the light, Archers normally spawn behind your character so I try to keep a Thunder Locus at the back.

I have two Shockbolts Embermage.
    The first mage is level 66. This character was used to farm the Skull of Limoany (I needed 11 skulls). This mage had 5 deaths.
    The second mage is level 100, which is obviously my main character. This mage has 0 deaths.

I do not think the number of deaths represents anything much. It could be my careful play style that results in low deaths.
    However, I will be moving into NG5 soon and things might be different then.
  • Well I guess it is feasible if you managed to get to NG5+ but what I wanted to know is how difficult or easy it may be if compared to some other builds, if you have tried them.
    For Embermage, I tried before other builds by never progressed beyond Act 2 with them. Thus I do not think I am experienced enough to compare.
  • I updated a Act Boss Fights video and Tartarus Extreme video to this guide.
    The Tartarus dungeon mod is the only mod I am using to test the efficiency of this build against higher level foes.
    To be frank, Shockbolts isn't very efficient in clearing maps, but more suitable for boss fights.

Anyway, this guide is now more or less the complete version.
  • Nice guide and vids, but I have 2 questions in mind...

1) Will a str build shock bolts Mage be doable? Like getting a high damage wand with high str to better increase the damage of shock bolts?

2) I noticed sonething in the boss fight vid. After teleporting to avoid some attacks, the boss suddenly stands there doing nothing while getting spammed to death by shock bolts. You can see the 2nd boss and last boss parts to get what I mean. What happened? A bug?
  • im not the creator of this build, but ive been playing it for long enough to understand its mechanics so ill answer those questions

i don't think str will be that useful for this build.
    your main damage output comes from proccing wand chaos, the majority of spells cast by wand chaos scale off focus
    also shock bolts is a pretty weak spell for dealing damage thus, as said in the OP is not good at breaking shields... its power comes from its ability to hit multiple times in a massive area which facilitates the mass proccs

the boss in that video froze probably because of wand chaos proccing glacial spike which has a 100% chance to immobilize enemies. also his weapon may have had a chance to immobilize monsters so shock bolts proccs it anyway.
  • im not the creator of this build, but ive been playing it for long enough to understand its mechanics so ill answer those questions

i don't think str will be that useful for this build.
    your main damage output comes from proccing wand chaos, the majority of spells cast by wand chaos scale off focus
    also shock bolts is a pretty weak spell for dealing damage thus, as said in the OP is not good at breaking shields... its power comes from its ability to hit multiple times in a massive area which facilitates the mass proccs

the boss in that video froze probably because of wand chaos proccing glacial spike which has a 100% chance to immobilize enemies. also his weapon may have had a chance to immobilize monsters so shock bolts proccs it anyway.
    Thanks for the explanation. Sounds very logical.
    However, mobs that are immobilized still can hit you if you go too close? I am kind of confused here. In the vid, the mage was sticking next to the boss but the boss did not attack. I read another mage build which say that mobs immoblize from frozen fate is bad for mages as it disrupts knockback and causes you to get hit always. Should I look for a wand with knockback instead?
  • Immobilized mobs can only attack what they are facing. They can not turn around, and won't attack you if you are behind them, or at the side.
    But according to the other mage build (link below), staying near immobilize mobs always gets you hit. So who is correct?
    http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=50762#p443645

I am currently at ng+ with this build and have mixed feelings about my mage. Sometimes I kill awesomely fast, while other times I kill slow. I know that wand chaos is random... I just wish that my damage can be more stable.
  • Pascal1 wrote:
    I know that wand chaos is random... I just wish that my damage can be more stable.
    Wand Chaos is not just about damage. The random debuffs such as Silence, Blind, Immobilize, Fear, etc from this skill provides a certain amount of safety for your Embermage as well (although you cannot control which effect you want).

If you are concerned with having a more consistent damage, you can try investing in an Augmented weapon at higher levels. This is my current wand, which I spent 5m gold on the enchantments.
    Augmented-Wand_zps01c53c9f.jpg
    The 'Conveys X Physical Damage over Y seconds' opt is able to stack and the damage is scaled with Focus. This means that spamming Shockbolts stacks this DOT so quickly that the damage becomes quite insane. For example, this Wand deals 7170 damage over 5 seconds, which is 1434 damage per second. As Shockbolts at Tier 3 deals 5 hits per cast, each cast deals 7170 damage per second. Assuming that you have 1000 Focus, each cast of Shockbolts deal 43020 damage per second. If you are able to cast Shockbolts once per second, you will deal 215100 per second at the end of the 5 second duration if you spam Shockbolts continuously (I could be wrong with the calculations, do correct me if so).

With an addition DOT into the picture (together the damage from Brands and some damage from Shockbolts), I believe that the damage output of your Embermage should be more constant now as you do not need to depend heavily on the random effects of Wand Chaos. In my opinion, the Augmented wand is probably the best weapon for this build. Besides the DOT, Shockbolts also triggers Silence and Immobilization. Other opts such as % to All Damage, % Critical Hit Chance, chance to cast Fully Heal Self on kill and chance to cast Raise Shadowling on kill are useful as well.
  • That is a very unusual choice of gems to socket into your wand. I will give the green wand a try once I hit higher levels. Thanks.
  • CenaxCenax Posts: 2
    Hey

I just purchased Torchlight 2 and started the game with an embermage. So i looked around for some builds and I have to say, that this one looks very nice to me.
    However I want to ask you if you can give me a good stat points distribution for the endgame content. For example I have no clue, if 180vit is really necessary to survive like you did in your videos (Unfortunately you showed only your buffed stats)

English isnt my native language, so i apologize up front.

Thank you for this awesome build.
  • Cenax wrote:
    However I want to ask you if you can give me a good stat points distribution for the endgame content. For example I have no clue, if 180vit is really necessary to survive like you did in your videos (Unfortunately you showed only your buffed stats
    I am using the [LINK DELETED] which has 45% chance to block. Together with 184 Vitality, you can achieve the maximum Block Chance of 75%.

For distribution of Stat Points, you can invest all points into Focus when you level up without worrying too much, since it is difficult for Embermage to go wrong with high Focus for most builds. You can enchant your equipment to get additional Stats when you proceed further into the game. Strength is the least important Stat for this build. Dexterity is quite important for the Critical and Dodge Chance (any amount is fine but do not go over 484 Dexterity).
  • CenaxCenax Posts: 2