[Concept]Another Combo System

OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in Design
Yes I see there is a "Combo" system thread here, however, I am referring to a different type of Combo. Something more like combo systems you see in Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, **** of War and other games in that genre.

In those games, your basic attack chains based on the timing you put in the input. For example, if you press X X X X X, you get a standard 5 hit combo, but if you press X X pause X , the pause changes the next attack to a different attack than the X X X X X one. In these games it's based on a complex animation based system, since in TL2 we likely will not be able to change how the animation system works, we have to resort to an alternative system, the Charge System.

The Charge Operates on 4 factors: Add, Delay, Subtract and Max Value. Manipulating this we can make the charge bar act like the animation based system. For the sake of example lets use a rounded number, 100. To create a 5 hit combo, we need 5 points on the charge value where the skill changes to a different attack. Those points would be >=20, >=40, >=60, >=80, and >=100. Each skill in the next point would also increase charge by 20, so Skill 1 adds 20 enabling skill 2 which adds 20 enabling skill 3, and on. This is done all in 1 button. By balancing the Delay and the Subtract rate we can control when attacks come and when the player would break the combo.

The above seems familiar right? It's a combination of the Engineer's consume all charge skills and a reversed Engineer use 1 charge skill.

Combine the above with Unit themes, we can make certain skills enable an Unit Theme/disable that would allow the use of a heavy attack. So there would be combos like XXYXXXX.

It should be easy to implement other elements like Active Blocking and Manual Dodging.

The only problem is Monster AI, as far as we know we have limited control over that. The games I listed rely as much on the system that handles those combos as it does the design of the Enemy AI.

This would be a fun experiment and some aspects of it I want to implement into the Survival Campaign/Mode and Survival PvP mods I mentioned oh so long ago.

Comments

• SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    So basically LEVEL1 of SkillA has 5 outputs.. if 0 charge do this, if 20 charge do this, if 40 charge do this Obviously in reverse order so you check, and remove if successfull or move to the next one if not.

Then each level of skill would just alter what happens at 20/40/60/80/100... hmmm i see where your going. Im not sure where I get the block /dodge. Unless you have figured out how to make the game automatically block/not block and how to automatically dodge..

the player caps are still 75%, but you could easily reduce them to 0.

im curious if we can make monsters use the charge bar or not, and if we could, how the **** we are able to actually KNOW they are using it, beyond rediculous test values of course.
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
    The manual dodging would be a skill that rolls you out of the way. Same with Active blocking, it would be a looping skill that basically reduces damage by like 90% as long as the skill is held.
    makes sense, I saw skills in teh bandit files about roll left and roll right, if you are looking for animations in the game already ;)
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
    Control Concepts:

4 directional Rolling:

LMB - Attack 1/Move
    RMB - Attack 2
    WASD - Roll Forward/Backward, Left/Right
    Z or Q - Block

LMB - Rebind to Move only button
    RMB - Attack 1
    MMB - Attack 2
    WASD - Roll Forward/Backward, Left/Right
    z or Q - Block

1 button Roll:
    Attack/Block same as above.
    Roll on W.
    hmm if you use that roll left and right skill i said previously and the outlander backwards flip as well as any of the forward charge/jump/flip skills those WASD would work, but the end user would have to configure their keys themselves ... hmmm

wonder if guts will allow changes in that manner, and I think you might be able to assign those skills at creation easy enough
    21971.png

moty-250.png
    It does seem like we can add custom keybindings. I recall the hotbar item in the UI layout having a string that corresponds to a string in the keybindings.dat file in the saves folder, but I never looked deeper.