Modding with Patch 1.2

MarshMarsh Posts: 685
edited December 2010 in General Modding
Hello all and welcome to the first day of our new patch - or possibly days after our new patch depending on when your reading this.

Quickly I wanted to go over a few things that got fixed and how the game now is compiling your mods.

1) Fixes - fixed issues with certain textures, meshes, materials not replacing pre-existing assets. This means you shouldn't have to crack open the zip or add additional zips.

2) To speed the game up mods are now compiled into two different files. Massfile.dat and masterresourceunits.dat. When you add a new mod these files will automatically get recompiled. However if you modify an existing mod the game isn't smart enough to know and you will need to force a recompile of these files! You can do this two different ways. You can manually delete them( make sure you also delete the .adm files too ) or you can hold shift while the game is booting up.

Now here is the Kicker - there is a bug we found about an hour before we released the patch that makes the .adm and .cmp files not re-compress if the raw data file was changed. So even if you did hold shift to recompile the files it would use your old binary files to generate them. We decided to ship with it because the editor is coming out soon and if you make mods with the editor this isn't an issue. For those that still want to make mods by note pad or some other text editor you'll have to either wait for another patch ( and really who is going to do that ), delete them manually( what a pain ) or simply download testtorchlightmods.bat( link is coming ) which should be placed in the same spot as your torchlight.exe. Instead of running torchlight.exe just make sure you run testtorchlightmods.bat first. If you just want to create the bat file here is the code...

del "%appdata%\runic games\torchlight\*.adm" /Q/F/S
del "%appdata%\runic games\torchlight\*.cmp" /Q/F/S
del "%appdata%\runic games\torchlight\massfile.dat"
del "%appdata%\runic games\torchlight\masterresourceunits.dat"
del "%appdata%\runic games\torchlight\mods\mods.dat"
torchlight.exe

3) UI - UI files have changed and could cause your game to crash if you use an old UI Mod. Also as mentioned above the bug related to the UI not updating from changes in the mod directory should be fixed. Meaning you don't have to crack open the zip and replace files.

4) This is just more of a note. If you do mod please use the standard of placing the files into a unique mod directory under the %adddata%\runic games\torchlight\mods directory. I only bring this up because if you do it'll be much easier for people to remove and add mods on the fly. Also if we ever do patch the zip it could cause problems with existing mods.

Good luck everybody and sorry for the bug with the .adm and .cmp files. Hopefully we'll have the editor out soon and this won't be an issue!

Comments

• TiptoeTiptoe Posts: 184
    Fixes - fixed issues with certain textures, meshes, materials not replacing pre-existing assets. This means you shouldn't have to crack open the zip or add additional zips.

This is good news. I didn't like messing with the original files, so there were quite a few mods I couldn't use.

As for the other issues, I just hope that once the Editor is released, everybody will re-do their mods to make them Editor compatible.
  • The question still remains - where is the editor as promised?
  • LuitjensLuitjens Posts: 109
    The question still remains - where is the editor as promised?

...He said it was coming and near release in his OP, please read mate :)
  • It's a coming - very soon. Now that the patch is out you should keep hounding us for it's release! Also just to let people know the editor won't be specific per distributor like the game was. You can just download the editor - install it and start moding. You don't even have to have the game installed! Remember - Hound us! Don't stop! The patch is out, no reason why we can't release the editor now! Hound us!

PS: Just to let you know what our priorities are right now - get the patch out for Steam and then the Editor.
  • pamplpampl Posts: 271
    Bebop wrote:
    Also just to let people know the editor won't be specific per distributor like the game was. You can just download the editor - install it and start moding. You don't even have to have the game installed!
    I internet-love you so much right now.
  • Bebop wrote:
    It's a coming - very soon. Now that the patch is out you should keep hounding us for it's release! Also just to let people know the editor won't be specific per distributor like the game was. You can just download the editor - install it and start moding. You don't even have to have the game installed! Remember - Hound us! Don't stop! The patch is out, no reason why we can't release the editor now! Hound us!

PS: Just to let you know what our priorities are right now - get the patch out for Steam and then the Editor.
    I can't imagine you pulling off the Steam testing and the editor release in the same day. Should I expect a miracle?
  • yAakyAak Posts: 55
    Inverness wrote:
    I can't imagine you pulling off the Steam testing and the editor release in the same day. Should I expect a miracle?

I'd be surprised, if they're still writing tutorials and the like. From personal experience, good documentation takes more time than I care to think about. >_<
  • yAak wrote:
    Inverness wrote:

I'd be surprised, if they're still writing tutorials and the like. From personal experience, good documentation takes more time than I care to think about. >_<
    Personally, I'd much rather wait on tutorials than the editor program itself.
  • I really hope for a steam release+editor since im a steam user and cant even get the game updated lol

Most of us already know modding, maybe they will release basic documentations with the editor and more docs at a later time. Some of us have bought the game ESPECIALLY for the editor.

Thanks for the heads up Bebop
  • heronheron Posts: 637
    rushing something out is not good.
    when will you people ever learn..

thanks for the update Bebop!
  • Bebop wrote:
    The patch is out, no reason why we can't release the editor now! Hound us!

OK, fine. <hound>The patch is out. Release the editor. Now.</hound>

What an odd thing to say.
  • NaihonnNaihonn Posts: 243
    Bebop wrote:
    It's a coming - very soon. Now that the patch is out you should keep hounding us for it's release! Also just to let people know the editor won't be specific per distributor like the game was. You can just download the editor - install it and start moding. You don't even have to have the game installed! Remember - Hound us! Don't stop! The patch is out, no reason why we can't release the editor now! Hound us!

Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it! Release it!

I mean, editor, just to be clear. Nothing else and awful. :lol:
    calabash.png
  • syltmansyltman Posts: 159
    Bebop wrote:

*happytears* YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :')
  • servvsservvs Posts: 131
    It seems you still can't load new models with textures though. I even opened my model in http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/CEGUI_Mesh_Viewer and it worked fine. I can see the texture and everything. Any idea when this will be fixed?

[edit] NVM! So excited, I got it to work with this patch. Gonna upload my new weapon soon :D
  • MystroMystro Posts: 23
    Thanks for the update Bebop.
  • theBOBtheBOB Posts: 47
    Thanks for the headsup, Bebop! :D
    Al Swearengen: What's the matter — taken by a vision? You would not want to be staring like that at me.
  • Bebop wrote:

Ye spoil us... and I cannot say that I don't like it.
  • hey, how about that editor *wink* =)
    Danubus.png

danubus.png
  • Bebop wrote:

Does this miraculous editor come with the level editor? Are you taunting me with YouTube vids? :(

Om nom nom

As a Steam user, get it fixed. I want to criticize the changes to Enchant and figure out how I will change it for my mod. :(
  • xdanxxdanx Posts: 111
    I don't get it. If you don't even need to have the game to use it, why was it so important to release it AFTER the patch, if you don't even need the patch o.O
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    Because the editor edits game stuff....if the stuff in the game is buggy...the editor needs to be tweaked to account for those bugs before they release it. That, and people aren't going to want to go through the trouble to edit a game that isn't a stable release client.

It is now, so now they can get the editor out ^^
    ItfooQF.png
  • askjoshaskjosh Posts: 161
    Zidders wrote:
    Because the editor edits game stuff....if the stuff in the game is buggy...the editor needs to be tweaked to account for those bugs before they release it. That, and people aren't going to want to go through the trouble to edit a game that isn't a stable release client.

It is now, so now they can get the editor out ^^
    ^^ what he said ^^
  • RELEASE THE EDITOR!
    "Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement. "
  • Hound! Hound! Hound! Hound! Hound!
  • Bebop wrote:

I am downloading the patch from Steam now so that means editor in the next hour or so, right!? RIGHT!?!?

YES!
  • Bebop wrote:

I am downloading the patch from Steam now so that means editor in the next hour or so, right!? RIGHT!?!?

YES!

Exactly. No more excuses!
    "Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement. "
  • karmatic wrote:
    Bebop wrote:

YES!

Exactly. No more excuses!

That's the spirit!
  • Travis just said it will be released on monday :(
    no editing-on-weekend for you
    they will release some 3dmax files he said.. not useful for me anyways
  • Just a quick query... is there a "cat" alternative for "hound"-ing the developers?!

On a more serious note - go Torchlight! I'm loving this game & looking forward to the editor.
  • yAakyAak Posts: 55
    muppet wrote:
    Just a quick query... is there a "cat" alternative for "hound"-ing the developers?!

On a more serious note - go Torchlight! I'm loving this game & looking forward to the editor.

Staring.
    Constant, unblinking staring.