Hand Crossbows v1.6 (GUTS)

SoryuuSoryuu Posts: 96
edited September 2013 in Mod Showcase
nKYiL.png

Download v1.6 (Dropbox) // Runic Games Fansite Mirror
April 9th - v1.6:
- Converted to POST-GUTS! Any problems, let me know.
- Changed icons. They look more consistent now.
- Hand Crossbows generally have lower DPS than pistols but can now deal more reliable damage. (Details: Pistol base damage: 50-100; Hand crossbow base damage: 70-70)
- Updated in-game description.
- Added affixes to uniques. Balanced them as best as I could.
March 18th - 1.56:
- Fixed another icon not showing up. All icons should be fixed.
March 2nd - 1.55:
- Fixed the icons on some unique hand crossbows because the icons weren't showing up in game.
- Changed soakscalepct (ignore armor) to 15%. I feel that will balance out for all difficulties, not just for Elite play. (I've only added the ignore armor as a placeholder stat until GUTS comes out).
February 24, 2013 - V1.5 (Major Update):
- Removed the piercing bolt skill completely. I did, however, figure out why it was missing targets, but I couldn't figure out how to make it pierce as intended without it bugging out. It was more trouble than it was worth, so I'm waiting for GUTS to come out to work on that.
- Instead, they will now ignore 25% armor with auto-attacks, and they have slightly higher range than pistols.
- All uniques have names. They have some room for improvement, though.
- Uniques still need fixed affixes (for the sake of keeping things consistent).
- Cleaned up the mod and got rid of any unnecessary files.
INSTALLATION (For non-Steam users)
Move the file over to "\Users\<your_username>\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\mods"
Run the modlauncher and make sure you have the mod checked on the list before you launch the game with mods.

IMAGES
In-game screenshot / Preview (Shows all modified crossbow models)

ABOUT
This mod adds new weapons called Hand Crossbows. They are treated as a pistol unittype, for now, and use pistol animations. They also spawn in the game along with pistols at blacksmiths, drops from monsters, etc. Any skill in the game that requires a ranged-weapon and/or pistol will work with hand crossbows. Generally, they have lower DPS than pistols but can deal more consistent, reliable damage and shoot slightly further away. Regular attacks can ignore 15% of armor. To help the balance between pistols and hand crossbows, all pistols are buffed by giving them +5 knockback.

I made this mod mainly for the aesthetic look of the crossbows but  did my best to implement them into the game without making pistols obsolete.  All uniques are fully affix'd and balanced them as best as I could. Until we figure out how to make new unittypes with GUTS, hand crossbows may become its own separate unittype in the future. This mod is far from done; no mod is ever finished as there's always something to improve upon. So if you have any feedback, comments,  and questions, please feel free to share!

Special thanks to...
- Runic Games for their excellent work on Torchlight II!
- Salan, Serkevan, lyravega, Zidders, and anybody else I forgot to mention for all your wonderful and helpful feedback and advice. Without this community, I would not have known where to begin with modding and to improve my mod.
- Dusho for the import/export script for Blender.
- OGRE Team for the mesh/xml conversion tools.
- Sluggington for the .LAYOUT editor. (PRE-GUTS)
- Jarcho, cienislaw, and anybody else who contributed to making the conversion tools. (PRE-GUTS)
- A special someone for giving me all the support I will ever need. I cannot express in words how much this person means to me.

Comments

• Awesome job Soryuu, I'm sure you put a lot of work into this.
    You may not have the stats done but I love the aesthetic look. Thanks a lot for the mod!
    Made an account just to say that!
  • lyravegalyravega Posts: 338
    Very cool!
    I will be migrating to Steam Workshop soon; not to worry, I won't drop non-Steam support, I will just copy/paste stuff from workshop pages instead of writing same but different "article" three times for every mod.
  • Vayne from LoL :lol: here I come :D
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    ya they look awesome, i'd like to include them in synergies, probably the best way to get them into the leveling grind from start to finish atm.

It won't be hard to get the random AFFIX'd ones in at least.
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • SoryuuSoryuu Posts: 96
    Thanks everyone :D

@ Salan, feel free to use them in synergies!

Yeah, the normal and random magic ones are done (white, green, and blues) but I haven't touched uniques and legendaries yet. I still need to make up names and affixes for all of them. As for base stats, they're still using crossbow speed modifiers (except I changed them by 10% faster) but can easily be modified later
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    This is so cool!

"make them shoot faster than 2handed crossbows but have a bit lower base damage, and have higher range than pistols"

I would say make them fire faster and have more range than pistols or two handed crossbows but give them a lower damage output than either. Of course this mod should probably be used along side some sort of extended draw distance mod.

Also, what are the chances of maybe seeing some of the crossbows from the first game get modded into this one?
    ItfooQF.png
  • Make them shoot faster than pistols with the sound/graphic of a crossbow and awesome Synergies stats and they are my new go-to weapon! I can see them being in the next tier of weapons!
    Make them shoot faster than pistols with the sound/graphic of a crossbow and awesome Synergies stats and they are my new go-to weapon! I can see them being in the next tier of weapons!

its hard to shoot faster then a pistol hmmm range and knockback and maybe some soak damage % would make em different tho, but gotta balance it to not be OP in comparison or the pistols dissapear
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
    Seeing as there would be no reason to use a hand crossbow instead of a pistol unless it was magical or designed mechanically to fire faster than a pistol, i'm going to assume that the hand crossbows in this universe fire faster than pistols. SInce you're generally going to get pretty decent range with a pistol then i'm supposing that they fire a lot farther and a lot more accurately as well. Hence the "Fire faster and have more range" part of my suggestion.

Since you need something to counter that in order to keep them from being way too overpowered, I suggested that they be made to have a low damage output. This would give players the ability to deliver a rapid succession of shots to a target a really long way off while giving larger targets with more hit points a fair chance at getting close enough to do at least a little damage. This keeps the game from being too easy, gives the player a rush of excitement and causes them to strategize rather than just pick everything off from a distance.

Maybe make the damage fall off the farther away a target is, maybe. Hitting stuff that is farther off just isn't going to do as much damage as hitting stuff at close range.
    ItfooQF.png
    @Salan,
    Soak damage is a good idea, kinda like making hand crossbows like the claws of melee weapons...

@Zidders,
    Maybe make the damage fall off the farther away a target is, maybe. Hitting stuff that is farther off just isn't going to do as much damage as hitting stuff at close range.
    If I knew how to script that into the game, that would be amazing. It doesn't seem possible at the moment until tools come out, unless I improvise somehow... Some of the crossbows from the first one look very similar to the crossbows in TLII, but I'll take a closer look.

Thank you both for your suggestions!

So here's what I have for base stats: 15% faster firing speed and 15%(?) less damage than crossbows, longest range. 2handed crossbows have 12 range and make hand crossbows have 14-15? Maybe about +10-15 knockback?

How does armor shredding sound? Adding % soak damage is a maybe too.
    Soryuu wrote:
    So here's what I have for base stats: 15% faster firing speed and 15%(?) less damage than crossbows, longest range. 2handed crossbows have 12 range and make hand crossbows have 14-15? Maybe about +10-15 knockback?

How does armor shredding sound? Adding % soak damage is a maybe too.

The 15%/15% sounds good. I like the range, too. Is that less knockback than the big bows? I wouldn't give them too much knockback but I like the sound of the armor piercing/shredding and soak damage.

I can't help it, I love dual wielding hehe.
    ItfooQF.png
    Bows (regular 2handed bows) innately have knockback, I think. However crossbows don't have any knockback at all (except for some uniques and random affixes). Correct me if I'm wrong about that though.

So I think I'm going to skip on adding knockback and go with armor shredding and soakdamage...
    How about piercing? Much like a cannon/shotgonne, but a very short arc/angle (like 5 degrees or something) this time. Not for hand crossbows though, for pistol. Does pistols have penetration?
    I will be migrating to Steam Workshop soon; not to worry, I won't drop non-Steam support, I will just copy/paste stuff from workshop pages instead of writing same but different "article" three times for every mod.
    Pistols can only shoot one target at a time and can't penetrate targets. Hand crossbows fire exactly like pistols for now. So add piercing/short arc attack for pistols, and single target for hand crossbows? Hm... That just might be what I need to make pistols and hand crossbows a lot more different from each other. Thanks!

In the past few days, I've also tried everything to make my own unittype (editting unittype.hie), but I just couldn't get it to work... :(
    Never worked with HIE files before. Anything with RAW etc... I can answer, but not HIE :P
    edited December 2012
    Updated to 1.1, I only changed base stats and names of the crossbows. For now here is what I have compared to 2handed crossbows: +15% attack speed, -20% damage, superior range, and can ignore 50% of armor on autoattacks. Whites, greens, and blues are done, and I haven't made my own uniques/legendaries yet but can spawn with random affixes.

I'm thinking of giving a chance to pierce on crossbows. As for making pistols a little different, the problem with changing its autoattack into a small cone similar to shotgonnes/cannons is its range (range bonuses from long-range mastery won't work on it, etc)...

Found out a way to change how autoattacks look and behave with a simple edit (add "<STRING>MISSILE: " in weapon's dat). I think I had a little too much fun with it. :)
    V1OH2.jpg
    QIFIf.jpg
    Good news ^_^
    ok so i got your 1.1 update i will include it in a synergies update so you can get more feedback, and I'll keep updating it as you go!

btw I am altering the base files to be inline with synergies other weapons, love the work btw!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
    Thank you, Salan. I really appreciate it!

Love what you're doing with Synergies too. I've been following its progress for a while now and I'm impressed at what you've got done so far! Congratulations!
    To be honest I'm trying to play vanilla as much as possible before I install any big game-changing mods.

May I ask how you're going to balance these weapons in synergies? I know you've made some changes with 2handers and 1handers, forgot what, but just really curious! :)
    Soryuu wrote:
    Thank you, Salan. I really appreciate it! :)

Love what you're doing with Synergies too. I've been following its progress for a while now and I'm impressed at what you've got done so far! Congratulations!
    To be honest I'm trying to play vanilla as much as possible before I install any big game-changing mods.

May I ask how you're going to balance these weapons in synergies? I know you've made some changes with 2handers and 1handers, forgot what, but just really curious! :D

I don't know yet, have to test them and get feedback on how OP or UP they are :)
    21971.png

moty-250.png
    Ha i love how you did your GUIDs, I had been thinking of doing that myself, the last conversion mod I did we had them all in numerical order for ease of use but ive just been using this guid creator.. even though I have run into a few conflicts with GUIDs already :(
    21971.png

moty-250.png
    Haha! Yeah it makes it so much easier for me to keep track of what is what. I would have been so lost if I didn't do that. This is also my first "big" mod, as I never went this in-depth into game files, so I wanted to start out a little bit more organized. :)
    well i got them in synergies all good now. They spawn with my alterations quite nicely. I do notice their DPS is lackluster compared to pistols and the speed isn't enough of a difference to want to use something that low dmg because how many people use autoattack with ranged weapons?

that said, i will have some pretty awesome classes that use ranged weapons and specifically specialize in autoattacking, so these will be extremely handy with that!

Also because you didn't make the weapon its own unittype you can piggy back into the pistols throughout the game. If you DO change it, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Although leaving it as a pistol means it gets effected by EVERYTHING a pistol does, which in and of itself isn't a bad thing.
    21971.png

moty-250.png
    I was thinking 20% less damage is too much... maybe like 10 or 15% but I'll do some testing comparing them again to 2handed crossbows and stuff
    When I get "chance to pierce targets" working, maybe that would make them more appealing?

Making my own unittype was another headache... if you know how, please fill me in. I tried everything from editing UNITTYPES.HIE and making my own .dat files in MEDIA/UNITTYPES, both which I couldn't get to work for some reason... this means making my own spawn classes and a whole lot of other things too...

Hah, I thought making the models would be more difficult ...
    how does 20% more attack speed and 12% less damage sound? I think those values are a little better than before
    Soryuu wrote:
    I was thinking 20% less damage is too much... maybe like 10 or 15% but I'll do some testing comparing them again to 2handed crossbows and stuff
    When I get "chance to pierce targets" working, maybe that would make them more appealing?

Making my own unittype was another headache... if you know how, please fill me in. I tried everything from editing UNITTYPES.HIE and making my own .dat files in MEDIA/UNITTYPES, both which I couldn't get to work for some reason... this means making my own spawn classes and a whole lot of other things too...

Hah, I thought making the models would be more difficult ...

my first try on unittypes was a failure, i could probably work it out now, but adding your crossbows as their own type is a LOT of work to integrate, personally id leave them as pistols for the general public. I might change them in synergies, but i am also building new classes that can take advantage of that change, where in the 4 classes we have, you'd have to rework the skills for htem as well.. which would conflict with more people
    21971.png

moty-250.png
    A question, not for you two guys only, but in general.

How does two weapons fare in this game? I mean what are the rules, and stuff like that...

For example, on Diablo 3, the only bonus you get out of using two weapons at the same time is, a 15% chance increase in attack speed. Lets say, if you have 500 damage, 1 second attack speed weapon on both hands, you would be having 650 DPS in your character sheet all the time. This confused me a lot to be honest. When you had like 1000 damage, 2 AS (attack speed) on one hand, and 700 damage 1 AS on the other, you'd see 500 DPS and 700 DPS, changing on your character sheet as you kept attacking.

This game confuses me even more, since there are skills that do not use weapon DPS at all... Look at Embermage. Prismatic bolt is a perfect example for all Embermages, or pillars, etc... I get that I don't even need a weapon to do the "same" damage, but still... Is the weapon DPS calculated somehow the same way (but the execute chance is the real filler in this game (much like 15% from Diablo 3))
    edited December 2012
    Updated to 1.2: Changed base stats: +20% attack speed, -12% damage compared to 2-handed crossbows

I've made hand crossbows have a chance to pierce targets! I'm leaving it at 5% chance to proc at the moment, dealing 100% weapon dps. Testing this for now though! I had to add a brand new affix and skill for it to work (new entries in RAW files).
    T328L.png
    mcyDW.png
    Best way I can implement this for now. It looks kinda awkward - after you shoot, it then releases an extra bolt, but it works. But I'll definitely be working on it as we think of ideas.
    What do you guys think though? Should I still keep "ignore 50% armor" or remove it? Should I always make them pierce targets and completely replace the missile fired from hand crossbows? Anything else I should change or keep?

If I really want to make these different, I'll need to do something drastic, more than just changing base stats

@ lyravega,
    From what I've read, dual wielding can potentially yield higher DPS - more damage socketing opportunities compared to wielding a 2-hander or 1-hander/shield. In vanilla anyway. 4-socket mods help out 2-handers a great deal and can potentially have really high DPS as well. DPS from dual wielding reduces your survivability(without OP block) but there's lots of ways to make up for it. You can still deal a lot of damage even with a 1-hander/shield setup. I'm no expert on this however :)

You can wield a high-DPS weapon in your main hand and have a "stat-stick" in off-hand, with stats like attack speed, etc, to improve your main hand weapon's DPS. If I recall this correctly, main hand is only calculated into weapon DPS for skills.

@ Salan,
    Good idea. I'll try and give it another go on how to add new unittypes when I have time. I hope custom skills and classes will help integrate my crossbows more smoothly into the game.

I'm posting updates as much as I can, as I'll be moving later in the week and may not have internet connection!
    Nice. As I've suggested, piercing or something like that will make this weapon unique on its own :)

And hmm, you are saying only main hand is calculated? That's good to know. Useless for me though, since I tend to blast my way with prismatic bolt spam to the death... It doesn't matter if I'm naked or not, which is silly a little bit (ok, a lot).

By the way, how many times does it pierce? Unlimited? Is there a setting for how many time it pierces? And if so, can you adjust damage of those relative pierce counts? Asking out of curiosity.
    Haha! :) Correct, only main hand is calculated.

And yep! It pierces unlimited times in a straight line. I could take a look at how to adjust the damage everytime it pierces the 1st monster, 2nd monster, etc. Took me a while to get it to work, but your suggestion worked out perfectly!

But what do you think though? Should I keep it as a chance to pierce or make them always pierce targets?