[BUILD] Summoner

ZaloezieZaloezie Posts: 166
edited January 2013 in Engineer Discussions
---

This is my nearly-finished summoner-build. Please comment! (updated 8/02/2013)

[LINK DELETED]

Aegis
15/15 - Force Field
15/15 - Tremor
15/15 - Immobilization Copter

Construction
15/15 - Healing Bot
15/15 - Gun Bot
15/15 - Spider Mines
15/15 - Sledgebot
12/15 - Bulwark (dumppoints)

Blitz
15/15 - Ember Reach

---

Stats: full vitality

Gear: As many sockets as possible, filled with x% pet & minion damage gems

Pet: Jackalbeast (for poison --> 33% armor reduction)

---

Spells
On player
- Animal Handling VI
- Concentration VI
- Summon Skeleton V
- Summon Skeleton VI
On pet
- Silence VI
- Nether Imp V
- Nether Imp VI
- Summon Archers VI

---

Special thanks to Highborne, Teflondon1975 & Bokuden!
Engineer builds
- Summoner (full vitality)
- Flamehammer (strength/dex)
- Flamehammer (full strength)
- Emberquake (full focus)

Comments

• ZaloezieZaloezie Posts: 166
    edited January 2013
    Few questions:

1. What's the deal with [LINK DELETED]? Haven't seen them ingame, but it's listed in the armory. Do they count as minions? Are they any good? (as in, better than the ones I chose :>)

2. There's no pet-cooldown on [LINK DELETED]. Is it the same as a player-cooldown, 45 sec?

3. What would you do different when building a summoner? All feedback is much appreciated!

Edit: just encountered [LINK DELETED], but it only seems good earlier in the game.
    Engineer builds
  • HighborneHighborne Posts: 102
    Zaloezie wrote:
    This is my nearly-finished summoner-build. Please comment!

[LINK DELETED]

Stats: full vitality
    Gear: As many sockets as possible, filled with x% pet & minion damage gems
    Pet: Warbeast
    Pet is really up to you...but I still like Jackelbeast for the poison, making everything I do hit harder by 33%.
    Dropspells

Player
    - Animal Handling
    - Summon Archers VI (22.8 sec duration, 30 sec cooldown)
    - Summon Blood Zombie (35 sec duration, 30 sec cooldown)
    - Summon Zombies VI (43 sec duration, 30 sec cooldown)
    Pet
    - Animal Handling
    - Summon Blood Skeleton (55 sec duration, 30 sec cooldown)
    - Summon Skeleton VI (60 sec duration, 60 sec cooldown)
    - Summon Nether Imp (30 sec duration, 45 sec cooldown)
    I go the following:
    Concentration VI (need mana regen)
    Animal Handler VI
    Blocking VI (if you need the last 10% block to cap) or Summon Skeleton Archers VI or Summon Nether Imp VI
    Summoner Skeleton (8 second cooldown, some crazy high duration like 45-60 seconds, can have up to around 6 at once until they start dying off)

The reason for this, concentration makes mana a non issue, no other items/sockets needed for mana regen + healing bot. This allows infinite spam with no downtime unless summoning gun, siege, tremor, mines and forcefield all within about 3 seconds total.

Skeleton is the best summon, period, allows multiple, hits like a truck, can resummon quickly. Best summon.
    Archers are amazing, but have to be stationary fight, so...bosses/champs. Netherimp is just long lasting and silence.

Pet Summons:
    Summon Skeleton Archer VI
    Summon Nether Imp IV
    Summon Nether Imp VI
    Silence VI

reason for this, 2 long lasting summons (imps) which silence, an aoe short cooldown silence, and archers for **** and giggles. Really, put whatever, but animal handler does so little for pet it is worthless.
    Skills [LINK DELETED])

Apart from the obvious summoner's skills, I'm using 15/15 Seismic Slam. I don't like the way Onslaught makes you jump forward. Storm Burst never helped me much, the mana gain isn't all that. Also using 15/15 Forcefield and 12/15 Dynamo Field for aoe-charge gain. The 12 points from Dynamo Field could be switched around, since I'm hardly ever using it. No idea where else to put them though.

Essentially, you have the build, Dynamo is worthless and so is seismic but there is nothing else useful...some like taking a point in Storm Burst but frankly...if you gear right you don't need mobility.

I like cannon skills as flavor for W switch but to each their own with the last 25 points.
    [LINK DELETED]

Take this build, you have 11-12 points leftover (if you don't want to use Stormburst).

Either dump into Blast Cannon and use a cannon for weapon switch, or Seismic Slam or dump remaining points into Aegis of Fate.

You will never build charge, no skills build charge at all so anything that uses charge is worthless (except Forcefield).

Moreover, Charge Dominion doesn't proc off of Gun Bot, Siege Bot, or Spider Mines so it is worthless as well.

The only reason I take Bulwark...not for the damage reduction, but just for armor...as NOTHING else helps you unless you want to Ember Reach and facetank while dealing some more damage.

As for the rest of the build:

Gearing:
    Helm: The Asphyx (5 x Skull of Umbarmun) *Enchant - Dexterity as high as possible (Borris)
    Amulet: Alhidade Amulet (2 x Skull of Joskin) *Enchant - Vitality as high as possible (Borris)
    Shoulders: Obscure Shoulders (2 x Skull of Limoany) *Enchant - Vitality as high as possible (Borris)
    Chest: Tenebra's Armor (2 x Skull of Joskin) *Enchant - +5% Pet Damage as many times as possible (Fondo) or Vitality as high as possible (Borris)
    Gloves: Hands of Orlac (5 x Skull of Umbarmun) *Enchant - +5% Pet Damage as many times as possible (Fondo) or Vitality as high as possible (Borris)
    Belt: Mondon's Belt (2 x Skull of Umbarmun) *Enchant - +5% Pet Damage as many times as possible (Fondo) or Vitality as high as possible (Borris)
    Legs: Breeks of Railsmith (2 x Skull of Joskin) *Enchant - +5% Pet Damage as many times as possible (Fondo) or Vitality as high as possible (Borris)
    Boots: Machinist Clogs (2 x The Eye of Jutham Kasam) *Enchant - Movement Speed (Garbahd)
    Rings: Gloomcircle x 2 (2 x Skull of Joskin each) *Enchant - Vitality as high as possible (Borris)
    Weapon: Iron Sword ilvl100 (NG+3 or higher to find one) Socket choices = 2 x Giant Chaos Ember 6% Cast Speed or 2 x Skull of X'n!troph (Armor Reduction) *Enchant - Dexterity as high as possible (Borris)
    Shield: The Untold Story (2 x Skull of Umbarmun) *Enchant - Dexterity as high as possible (Borris)

Iron Sword sockets depends on if you want to be "involved", if so you can actually change up the build somewhat; put the X'n!trophs in, take Ember Reach for your last 11-12 points and use auto attacks to weaken enemy armor while spamming Mines + Reach + Tremor's to increase the damage they take.
    If you want a more passive approach letting summons do all the work, just take Cast Speed for quicker Forcefields/Tremor casts.

Spells:
    Summon Skeleton VI
    Animal Handling VI
    Concentration VI
    Choice of Blocking VI, Summon Skeletal Archers VI, Summon Nether Imp VI in this order (blocking to cap, archers for damage on bosses, nether imp for more summons)

Pet Spells:
    Summon Nether Imp VI
    Summon Nether Imp IV
    Summon Skeleton Archers VI
    Silence VI

I use these, but up to you really...can switch out stuff depending on what you enjoy.
    Pet Summons do not get increased by your +Pet Damage %, so they are "weak" compared to the Summon Skeleton VI you summon for example.

Stats:
    Strength: Base, never increase this
    Dexterity: Base, never increase this
    Focus: Base, never increase this
    Vitality: All

Dex will be increased via Enchants, and Focus is secondary for enchants since it increases your mana some and allows for a bit of scaling if you so choose to take a direct damage ability that scales with it.
    You are aiming for 350 Dex from enchants to give around 45-50% Dodge%.
    Focus if you have any remaining items with no enchants and cannot be enchanted with +Pet Damage or +Health.
    Vitality "caps" around 1100 for increasing health, so keep that in mind.
    Enchanting Vitality is great, if you can cap out decently quick, start enchanting either +Health from Greezo or +Cast Speed from Garbahd.
    Turn pet into a Jacklebeast for poison dot (-33% armor on enemy) or Mimic for awesomeness.
    With the damage reduction from items and the 2 skulls you cap at 75%, 65% Block base (thus blocking spell to cap at 75% if you want to), 45-50% Dodge with enchants, and have around 10k health base with some vit enchants.
    You are extremely durable while still doing crazy good damage with summons.

This build is not going to break 100k crits, but it is safe, consistent and works well in all difficulties.
  • RumorRumor Posts: 31
    Which weapon would you be using with this build?
    I see you reading my witty signature! :P
    Rumor wrote:
    Which weapon would you be using with this build?

A one-hander, with a shield. The shield with as many sockets as possible, for +% pet minion damage.

The one-hander should be that minecraft-sword, not sure what it's called, because it has +% pet & minion damage on it.

The other stats don't matter, maybe mana-return on hit could be helpful.
    Engineer builds
  • RumorRumor Posts: 31
    Thanks. I think I vendored a really decent shield a few days ago :cry:
    I see you reading my witty signature! :P
  • Something people don't take advantage of is that you can use spells of different tiers.

What I use for spells on my summoner is:

Animal Handling VI
    Summon Skeleton VI
    Summon Skeleton V
    Summon Skeleton IV

This lets you get out THREE skeletons every 7 seconds. I only do this because most of the other summon spells are... kinda terrible. They all have massive cooldowns or costs. Or there's blood zombie, which I never saw the appeal of, it moves so slow everything's dead by the time it gets to the enemy.

Then again this doesn't give me time/mana to be casting other spells besides spider mines/FF, and clutters up my skill bar. Guess it's a trade-off. I don't have a space for stomp/dynamo so I just went for defensive passives like bulwark and aegis.

Edit: For skills, I have what highborne posted, except with aegis in place of tremor, only because all my slots were full :(.

For equips, mostly the same, but I put Limoany's in the gloomcircles so I could have generic Blue +30% minion pants and armor (of the same set, preferably aristocrat for +cast speed), and a better amulet with umbarmuns. In the end you get the same DR% but more +minion%.
    Updated first post!

[LINK DELETED]

Aegis
    15/15 - Force Field
    15/15 - Tremor
    15/15 - Immobilization Copter

Construction
    15/15 - Healing Bot
    15/15 - Gun Bot
    15/15 - Spider Mines
    15/15 - Sledgebot
    12/15 - Bulwark (dumppoints)

Blitz
    15/15 - Ember Reach

New questions I have:

- Is it true that Animal Handling on a player doesn't affect the minions summoned by a pet? In my build, will Animal Handling have an effect on the Archers summoned by the pet?
    Engineer builds
  • Newbie engi summoner here, kudos for all the great info in this discussion.
    Only one question, that I really not understand
    Highborne wrote:

What does it means? :?
    Newbie engi summoner here, kudos for all the great info in this discussion.
    Only one question, that I really not understand
    Highborne wrote:

What does it means? :?

I have around 1300 Vitality and when I drop about 200 of it I stay at the same amount of health (ie vitality becomes useless minus increasing armor).

So I haven't extensively tested but taking off gear puts me around 1100 before my health starts dropping.

Thus there is a "vitality" cap. Going for +health still increases but more vitality does not.

As such Borris is useful but only up to a point; if you can get 350-400 dex, 1,000 vitality then start enchanting either +health, +runspeed, +pet/minion damage as those are much better bang for your buck.

At the same point I also typically enchant around 100-200 focus just for a mana buffer for when I summon Gun Bot, Siege Bot and use all my other skills quickly one after another.

Also, I am almost certain player pet/minion damage does not increase your Pet's Summons damage at all...
  • There is definitely a vit cap but I believe it's closer to 1000 actually. My summoner is 100 now and has 120 ish stat points just sitting there for lack of better place to put them. Likely I'll just dump them into focus although being at 700 already there is not a lot of need. Anyhow, at 1000 vitality I can pump the entire 120 stat points into it and neither my HP nor my armor values increase by even one point. It's really silly how WELL they made every other stat scale and yet not only is vit the worst of the pack but it has a much lower cap than the rest(Dex is lower but is so very useful) lol.

As to the animal handling being used on your pet all discussion points towards it having no effect on your pets summons. Truthfully you are much @my opinion only lol, others may vary) better off having your pet use spells other than summons with the exception of skeleton(reason: 60 second summon for 60 sec CD and mobile) and Nether imp. Nether imp is good but not because it's a beast but because it causes AoE silence on attacks AND is a decent summon time for ok CD and again it's alos mobile. Silence is goodness. Frost is an amazing pet spell; 10 second CD 50K DoT at rank 6 and 100% freeze debuff for 11 seconds.

As to personal spells you CAN take skeleton 4-5-6 but Having tried it I'll tell ya right now, you WILL be spending about 2/3 of your time doing nothing but casting skeleton...forever...lol. I found a nice happy medium was Skel 5-6 and having picking two other active/passive skills. This allows you to have a nice number of summons and still use your spider mines rather than worrying about skeletons for 3-4 seconds out of every 8. I personally am using Skeleton 5 - 6, animal handling 6, archers 6 for boss fights. At 700 focus now I have no need for concentration and haste(my other favorite spell) was becoming quite annoying to recast every 12 seconds what with all the skeleton summoning haha.
    blahdy blah blah
  • Highborne wrote:
    I have around 1300 Vitality and when I drop about 200 of it I stay at the same amount of health (ie vitality becomes useless minus increasing armor).

So I haven't extensively tested but taking off gear puts me around 1100 before my health starts dropping.

Thus there is a "vitality" cap. Going for +health still increases but more vitality does not.

So, in your opinion, isn't better to cap vitality at 486 and then enchant only +health?
    Highborne wrote:

So, in your opinion, isn't better to cap vitality at 486 and then enchant only +health?

Depends...vit does give armor albeit a small amount.

The only reason I went vit over health is vit is easier to get as an enchant (1/4 Borris).
    Whereas the best Health enchant is Greezo (1/6 for +91 Health) and I don't know if that is max or if a Powerful enchant is possible(ie Borris gives powerful enchants).

As such I can enchant any item with +30-70 vit each Powerful enchant (depending on item level) from Borris which is pretty solid, or +91 health with Greezo.

At the end of the day, convenience or power...the maybe 1k health you get more from +health isn't worth it for the time spent IMO. Plus you lose a little armor.

However, once you hit the vit cap, then you should aim for +health, +runspeed, +pet/minion damage.
  • Ok, thank you :D
  • As to personal spells you CAN take skeleton 4-5-6 but Having tried it I'll tell ya right now, you WILL be spending about 2/3 of your time doing nothing but casting skeleton...forever...lol. I found a nice happy medium was Skel 5-6 and having picking two other active/passive skills. This allows you to have a nice number of summons and still use your spider mines rather than worrying about skeletons for 3-4 seconds out of every 8. I personally am using Skeleton 5 - 6, animal handling 6, archers 6 for boss fights. At 700 focus now I have no need for concentration and haste(my other favorite spell) was becoming quite annoying to recast every 12 seconds what with all the skeleton summoning haha.

This is definitely true, 4-5-6 may be a bit overkill, but it IS hilarious how many skeletons you can get. You're just fine replacing skeleton 4 with something else, even though I really hate archers (they're squishy and limited in use) so I dunno what to suggest.

Pet summons are a waste of time IMO, they don't get damage boosts off your gear so all they do is get in the way of your actually useful minions. I'm not sure if pet spells get boosted by +minion damage, anyone know? That's probably the best way to go, pet damage just does not scale well at all. In all honestly I just forget my pet exists.