( UPDATED 5:04 11/09/09 ) Why does my enchanting ****?

travisbaldreetravisbaldree Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭
Well, because I ****.
There's a bug in enchanting in 1.2 preventing items from using their proper level to determine enchant level in town.
I didn't nerf it as bad as most feared, but I DID break it, so you can give me a good smacking-around in this thread.

CURRENT STATUS

Runic hotfix is available here
DO NOT USE THIS UNLESS YOU PURCHASED TORCHLIGHT FROM RUNIC GAMES! It won't work for any other partner build.
http://www.torchlightgame.com/download-1.12b-hotfix

Runic full download is also available at http://www.torchlightgame.com/download

This zip contains the updated executable. You'll need to unzip this over your currently installed Torchlight.exe
Note that we are in the process of updating the full build download link, but have not completed the upload yet ( takes a while to upload and deploy )
I'll post that it has been updated here as soon as it is live. That will take care of new users, or users who are uncomfortable with dropping a new exe over their old one.
Note that this should NOT require re-entry of your activation key!

* Steam hotfix is 'officially' live. Now you don't have to do anything funny! Hotfixed builds have been given to every other partner as well as of yesterday.

* Perfect World hotfix is already implemented in their version of the patch.

Travis

Comments

• THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK AND DEDICATION.
  • MythTLMythTL Posts: 98
    No smacking around needed. Ive voiced my criticism regarding this issue enough already. :oops:

You guys definitely deserve praise for the work ethic youve shown so far. Creating such a wonderful game in 11 months, pushing out a very solid patch within such a short time, and actually being a development team that listens to players and tries to help as much as possible.

Its unfortunate that Enchanting was botched with the patch but making sure it gets fixed is what counts. Hopefully as time goes on, and with more player feedback (specifically regarding the balancing of high level play) we will end up with something everyone agrees is better than what we started with.

Keep up the good work Runic! ;)
  • Don't forget to sleep dude, and with the wife aggro thing...one word. Diamonds. Even little ones should do the trick.
    Arguing over a video game? That's just silly.
  • Thanks for confirming that there is an issue with 1.12 Enchanting. I look forward to a resolution!
    "Modder" =/= "Cheater"
    "Modder" > "Cheater"

The difference between constructive criticism and whining is the ability to provide a realistic solution.

Felicia Day plays Torchlight!
  • The way you guys support your game and update your community is astounding. Runic Games only has one small game released for a little over a week and you guys have already become one of my favorite developers (and I don't like many). I can't see how bigger companies fail to have support like this. And you're not even a community manager, you're the **** lead designer!

Thanks for the update.
  • ArkansawArkansaw Posts: 193
    Stick with 1.0 until we feel like we already have enough godly greens to risk patching the game? :lol:
    Simple guide to Torchlight!

Cheating Peeps: "Oh hey Runic, I'm a cheater, your game is too easy!"
    Runic: "Well gee, cheat-master, we'll get right on nerfing!"
    The rest of the player base: WTF!?

OMG IT HAS NEW STATS !!!!!????!!!!!
  • ShardzShardz Posts: 1,384
    Well, we appreciate your support on these issues for sure and you are on top of it always! I have my preferences to the enchanter and what rates he decides to settle on, but it's still great that it was looked into so fast. And yes, I agree...get some sleep! :D
  • i have one advice to offer: this is a single player game, you know that. A player cannot affect any other players, and because of that, there's no such thing as some skills or items that one player possesses being OVERPOWERED to the extent that requires the devs time or attention in order to correct; since the player himself possess the power to fully LOWER, DOWNGRADE, or NERF his DPS, skill lvl, items stats etc from day one. it is also not uncommon to see a game patch containing bug that wasn't intended because something else was changed, so the less time you spent on fixing these non important issues like enchanting which didn't require any of the devs time to begin with, the less time and effort the you will need to spend to corrects the bugs that came as a result of the patch being released.
  • travisbaldreetravisbaldree Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, there were some legitimate issues with enchanting - you could get value overflows where the maximum integer was passed, which are nasty, and the enchant prices for uniques vs normals didn't make sense, and the formula for calculating price based on effects was pretty broken.
    It also devalued uniques by making normal items more valuable in the long run -
    I think if I hadn't had this bug, in general people would be a lot less cheesed off right now ( I'm speculating ) - I guess we'll find out!
    I purposefully also exposed all of the percentages to moddability, since I figured there was no way to please everyone - and that was part of the patch too.
  • It also devalued uniques by making normal items more valuable in the long run -

This is my favorite thing that the patch fixed. I actually got excited when I got a few set/unique drops while playing just now. Like, more than usual, just because of the potential for some sweet upgrades. It just opens the game up a lot more.

Thanks for the overtime effort.
  • The drops in general seem to be much worse since the patch. Have a look at that too.
  • QA
    Disclaimer: I don't feed trolls. If I do not reply to your post, it is not because I did not read it.
  • Hokibukisa wrote:
    QA

Does not exist or should be fired.
  • travisbaldreetravisbaldree Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, our QA is pretty awesome. But we didn't give them a ton of time, as we were pushing hard to get the patch out the door.
    So you can't really blame them - it's my bug, and I should have double-checked the change more thoroughly.
  • WestonWeston Posts: 1,004
    Well, it's bound to happen after hours of staring at code.

When I use to build php applications for the web, I don't want to even think about how many simple mistakes I made simply because I had blinded myself by staring at code for 18 hours or more a day. Then having to pour back over all of it try to find some simple syntax or other error. Yuck. I'm sure your tools are far more advanced though and allow you to more easily spot mistakes (or I would hope so anyway).
  • Enchant bug or not, the last patch works flawlessly. I'm more interested in praising y'all than bashing this issue, which is rather minor for me. Runic Games is quickly becoming a name permanently engraved in my mind.
  • Hmmm well everybody can make a mistake, but since you are so upfront about it:

*kick* *smack* *titan stomp*

Hey, shouldn't have made an ARPG if you didn't want violent fans ;)

Note, that I did take care to miss your fingers and leave one eye fully functional so you can keep coding! Nice eh? :twisted:
    Gamers are young at heart and creative thinkers. Shall we play a game?
  • Well, we can't really be angry after a awesome patch that fixed my problems with steam.
    :D you can fix it whenever you want but just fix it.
    Alchemist/55 Normal.
    Destroyer/16 Hard.
    Vanquisher/0 Hard *after reaching 40 with my destroyer*.
    Melee alchemist's FTW!
  • Maestroni wrote:
    Hokibukisa wrote:
    QA

Does not exist or should be fired.
    I wonder if you never made any mistakes on the job. Even doctors do that.
    -Snow

When people tell me "plz" just because it is shorter than "please", I feel perfectly justified to say "no", because it is shorter than "yes".
  • Seph79Seph79 Posts: 376
    Lulz! Sorry, just got to post this pic one more time :D
    Rolled.jpg
    If this were real life, I'd be dead....
  • aholmanaholman Posts: 311
    Well, because I ****.
    There's a bug in enchanting in 1.2 preventing items from using their proper level to determine enchant level in town.
    I didn't nerf it as bad as most feared, but I DID break it, so you can give me a good smacking-around in this thread.

I'm going to see what we can do about hotfixing this.

Does this mean that enchanter in town and in dungeons have different tables of enchanting?
  • Seph79 wrote:
    Lulz! Sorry, just got to post this pic one more time :D
    Rolled.jpg
    We're no strangers to love!
    -Snow

When people tell me "plz" just because it is shorter than "please", I feel perfectly justified to say "no", because it is shorter than "yes".
  • mu11mu11 Posts: 9
    Could you also stop adding poison damage to everything?

Weapons, trinkets and even armor has increase %.

and It happens often.
  • ZephyrZephyr Posts: 35
    I say, bring back the old bonus from enchantment but keep the % of stats wiping and also tweak the price of enchanting unique too, it's kinda cheap now, 3k~4k.
  • Well, because I ****.

I'm going to see what we can do about hotfixing this.
    Ah last night I experienced these new enchanting issues. :P I reset a very nice epic (600DPS) bow because the enchants were adding so little power to the weapon (thus I kept on going at it).. It certainly made me look better for uniques/rares! But nice to hear that this is actually a bug, because enchanting in town isn't worth the cost nor the risk anymore now. :)

Keep up the good work and thanks for coming clean!
    Where I end and you begin
  • HungryHungry Posts: 68
    MythTL wrote:
    You guys definitely deserve praise for the work ethic youve shown so far.

And for being so upfront about your mistakes. And for being so responsive to our questions and complaints. Kudos, Travis. I'm really impressed with what I've seen of you guys so far.
  • aholman wrote:
    Does this mean that enchanter in town and in dungeons have different tables of enchanting?
    That's how it should be, yes.

The guy in town gives (or should give you, because that's exactly what is broken) enchantments based on item level. A level 50 item will get a lot better stats than a level 10 item. Because of the bug, you always get lvl 1 enchantments. Not exactly useful for a high level character :)

Enchantments from shrines are based on the character level and are not broken in 1.12. I tried it - got some nice enchantments while playing with a shrine but the guy in town simply doesn't behave.
  • The drops in general seem to be much worse since the patch. Have a look at that too.

I noticed that too. At least it seems like that to me. I have multiple items that give +x% to magic find and max level in treasure hunter for my character level and still there are hardly any regular magic items and no rares or uniques in the loot when I played yesterday. Some of the bosses didn't drop any loot at all.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭
    The guys at Runic, especially Travis here, do NOT deserve to be so hard on themselves. I know they're trying to do good on this, to not repeat past mistakes....but they've hit one out of the park. I wish, I truly wish, that people would be more 'constructive, helpfull criticism' and less 'WHARRRBAARRGGLLEEE' sometimes.

I know some people have had some serious issues...but no game is perfect, and different peoples systems will behave in different fashions. It's unavoidable.

Personally, I don't use enchanting as much, I keep forgetting about it because i'm too distracted by the really cool looking mobs in this game.

Travis, thanks for being so up-front about all this and for working hard to fix it, but relax man....don't be so hard on yourself!!!
    ItfooQF.png
  • RiathyRiathy Posts: 17
    Damnit! you owe me a new helm!

/slap

(i know its not his fault but need to take it out, i lost a precious)
    2a5i1kk.jpg