[BUILD] Flamehammer (strength/dex)

ZaloezieZaloezie Posts: 166
edited April 2013 in Engineer Discussions
---

This is my nearly-finished 2-hander Flamehammer-build, aimed for maximum damage. Please comment! (updated 8/02/2013)

[LINK DELETED]

Aegis
15/15 - Force Field
15/15 - Tremor

Construction
15/15 - Healing Bot
15/15 - Fire & Spark

Blitz
15/15 - Flamehammer
15/15 - Ember Reach
15/15 - Heavy Lifting
12/15 - Supercharge
15/15 - Coup de Grace

---

Stats: 373 strength, 122 dexterity

Pet: Jackalbeast (for poison --> 33% armor reduction)

---

Spells
On player
- Concentration VI
- Dervish VI
- Adrenaline Rush VI
- Haste VI
On pet
- Silence VI
- Heal all VI (could be switched out for something else, using it atm because i'm playing with friends)
- Nether Imp V
- Nether Imp VI

---
Engineer builds
- Summoner (full vitality)
- Flamehammer (strength/dex)
- Flamehammer (full strength)
- Emberquake (full focus)

Comments

• I have only played a summoner engineer so far so only a few comments/questions really :)

Forcefield + tremor = amazing. Of course! Healing bot + Fire & Spark must haves again. Heavy lifting, means using a 2 hander. I have n0 direct experience but I have read in several places a 2 hander is not optimal what with the DPS never being as high as a properly enchanted/gemmed 1 hander and then the offhand stat stick being even more over the top. I personally love 2 handers as well! Just commenting as you said maximum DPS. Ember reach, really not a lot else to use those points on other than possibly Onslaught, Storm burst, overload. All of which are not really needed either although I've heard onslaught can be quite useful for escapes and the debuff is quite nasty in higher skill levels. Ohh, also Seismic Slam! Forgot about that one. Would pair quite nicely with Coup de Grace as well. Not trying to convince you against ember, just giving some alternatives that you likely already thought of and disregarded haha. Ember was amazing on a summoner as I'm sure you know having played them :) being all(most) physical damage. Supercharge + Coup de Grace again must haves! Flame hammer is personal preference I think, mostly. I bet you've explored this thread detailing FH vs EQ I've only explored the two skills with one point on my summoner as possible ways of generating charge(both of which seemed to build zero lol) and at one point only EQ Was far longer reach, felt much better and blew the socks off FH. This is with summoner gear and stat distribution though lol. And one point =/ The wonderfully detailed thread ^^ indicates that FH will obviously be better from 1-41 of course, and then will definitely overtake EQ eventually given max end game stats//gearing etc.

Jackal beast is a great choice. The debuff is always welcome! Of course as pets are they often chew on the target you least need them to lol. But what can you do :P Personal spells! Concentration is going to be needed on a str oriented build definitely. I was able to skip it on my summoner but I had a hefty amount of focus. Dervish is flippin awesome. Adrenal rush is also awesome! Haste....awesome? Can I say that three times in a row? lol. Pet Spells. Silence is a good choice, I use it often as well and who knows what it does with all the flashing and lights on the screen but I bet it does good things lol :D Heal all I'm not so sure about. 30 sec CD, 3K/4 seconds sounds decent but your pet will have near what? 60K at 100. You might have near 20-25K yourself depending on how you gear + a 40-60K shield. Not the worst pic as healing is healing but I find frost to be more useful myself. Low 10 sec CD 50K frost DoT and 11 or 12 seconds of 100% frozen debuff is very nice. Summon Skelley is great, 60 sec CD for 60 sec summon. Summon archers....another maybe(For me, all in your personal taste!) archers are completely kick **** if cast when and where they are needed. I have found the pet all too often casts such spells the first time you break a vase lol. I find nether imp to be more often useful. 30 sec summon on a 45 sec CD. Mobile. High chance of small AoE silence when attacking. For myself I always have retribution in there for my pet but I'm using a mimic with super high defenses and HP. The 30% damage return with 100% up time at rank 6 works very nice for trash mobs at least lol. Looks good! I'm eager to try my melee engineer out shortly as well!!
    blahdy blah blah
  • RokdogRokdog Posts: 24
    I recently decided to start a Blitz engineer and have been looking for a reliable build to use. I've seen some of your other posts (like the awesome engineering facts), so I'd like to give this a try. I'm going to follow your guide verbatim, for every single skill and stat point, and I'll report back here as I progress. What's the highest difficulty you've had success with this build? I'll be playing on Veteran for now, but would like to try Elite as well.
  • Are you going to have enough charges for tremor + forcefield + FH? I'm not sure if auto attacking with supercharge is going to be enough.
    Are you going to have enough charges for tremor + forcefield + FH? I'm not sure if auto attacking with supercharge is going to be enough.

I'm only level 30 with this build, but I'm definitely having this problem. Even using a fast (.84) weapon, building charge off auto-attacks is rough, even with supercharge active. I definitely feel "charge-starved" right now. I'm not sure if this corrects itself later with more points in the rest of the build, through gear, or maybe I'm doing something fundamentally wrong?

Build was fun for the first 25'ish levels, but has gotten real clunky since then. In addition to feeling charge-starved, I feel rather squishy without a strong FF up. With no points whatsoever in VIT and no shield, I'm heavily reliant upon a 24/7 FF, and I'm only on Veteran. Being reliant on FF wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the lack of charge. Interested to hear what OP has to say.

I'm considering switching to an EQ build while I still have points to spend in Focus, as soon as I can figure out that monstrous spreadsheet...
  • ZaloezieZaloezie Posts: 166
    At the moment I'm level 78 with this build, finishing NG+1.

The charge problem is normal, it'll go away after a few more levels. To reach a lvl 100 build like this, you'll have to suffer for a few levels =)

I'd recommend Haste/Adrenaline Rush/Dervish for faster attacking = faster charge building.
    Engineer builds
    Hey Zaloezie,

Thanks for responding, and thanks for the guide. I'm glad to hear the charge issue is normal and that you're 78 in NG+1 and still going.

I was curious though, what difficulty do you play on? (Veteran, Elite, etc)
  • This is basically the build I was doing and noticed your post. So far the difficulty comes into play with certain level ranges, and maybe the beginning levels of a new area, but that's how all classes are really. I'll repost my impressions as I hit higher level marks, but so far this build is pretty epic. Question: is there a build where Seismic Slam is worth taking? I'm thinking about removing it after seeing that no one else uses it lol. I just liked spamming it on caster bosses and the frost wolves and such. I can see how Heavy Lifting replaces the Stun portion of it, but what else can do a AOE auto-interrupt?
  • silktophatsilktophat Posts: 170
    nannerpuss wrote:
    Question: is there a build where Seismic Slam is worth taking?
    Yes. Engineers that enter melee combat but don't use shields are prime candidates for Seismic Slam. I personally find it most useful to stun enemies that rush me, like Werewolves or enemies with dash attacks.
    nannerpuss wrote:
    I can see how Heavy Lifting replaces the Stun portion of it, but what else can do a AOE auto-interrupt?
    Dynamo Field, Shock Grenades, and Tremor have AoE interruption effects.
    Damage explained by armis | FH, EQ analysis by armis | EQ calculator by beastmodeengaged | Spell trigger information by kelvinwan | TL2RR by Chthon
  • ZaloezieZaloezie Posts: 166
    Rokdog wrote:

I was curious though, what difficulty do you play on? (Veteran, Elite, etc)

Elite! Sorry for the incredibly late response :)
    Engineer builds
  • KompanietKompaniet Posts: 37
    Don't forget the melee weapons expertise spell. Good for increasing melee damage. Adrenaline rush is cool but doesn't seem to trigger when force field is up :(
  • My first character is an engie with flame hammer, FF, and tremor.

The skills I use to support that much charge use:
    Supercharge (9/15)
    Charge **** (5/15) - 1 in 20 enemies gives me a full charge bar
    Dynamo Field (10/15) - main charge builder

Play style:

FF is always up
    Use dynamo field to build up at least 1 charge, then drop a tremor. This should disable enough enemies to give you breathing room to use a non charged Flame Hammer to wipe the floor with survivors.
    If Charge **** procs - GREAT! Save it for the next encounter, or if you think your FF is running low.

The above works for bosses and champs. For boss fights, it can get a little hairy if the boss has no adds. Thankfully engi is tanky enough (and my STR is 800 - which is decent), to plow my way through level 105 enemy's. Once I get it to 1000, there should be little I can't smash. I am currently using The Administrator. (I have not found anything better). I'd rather be using Troll Knuckle - though I admit I like the 4% move bonus.