Mac version ... when ???

RedevilRedevil Posts: 11
edited February 2015 in TL2 General Discussions
Hey!

I remember Runic Games announced the Mac version way back when the game was still in beta/development. Early in September they mentioned that "The Mac version is next on the agenda, but it will take a couple months at least".
We're already in mid January 2013, with no news or updates on a Mac release date. Does anyone have an idea where we can expect to see it, Spring, Summer 2013? It **** since I already purchased the Steam version on day one with the premise to play it before the end of the year on a Mac.

Comments

• KalstenKalsten Posts: 107
    No, there is still no news.

However, I am playing this with everything at MAX settings, in Windows 7 virtualized through Parallels 7, and it works wonderfully. However, I'd like to play natively in Mac.
  • plokiploki Posts: 27
    Kalsten wrote:

However, I am playing this with everything at MAX settings, in Windows 7 virtualized through Parallels 7, and it works wonderfully. However, I'd like to play natively in Mac.

Even Shadows?
    Steam or Standalone version?

I play Steam Version with Wineskin, all max, but no shadows.
    Game plays wonderful, but doesn't close correct, so i have to do some Terminal Work to end the process so it can update on Cloud Sync.

I came today to the forum to make the exact same question..

Can we have som ETA on Native Osx Version ??

Thanks.
  • keithabrownkeithabrown Posts: 162
    I bought the game already, expecting that a release would be quickly coming. We've not had even a tweet that it was still being worked on in months. I'm waiting for a native release, because when I've tried to play with Wine or Parallels, I've had less than stellar operation.
    ploki wrote:
    Kalsten wrote:

Even Shadows?

Game plays wonderful, but doesn't close correct, so i have to do some Terminal Work to end the process so it can update on Cloud Sync.

Thanks.

I don't know about shadows. I'll check it out when I play again :)
  • SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    It's coming after GUTS, but as we don't have a date for either, I can't even give you a rough estimate...
  • I was thinking for using bootcamp tho, but it's really not that simple, and I'm not a fan of using a virtual machine. Finally, I couldn't helped it anymore. I'm playing it using my brother's laptop, but still I'm waiting Runic will porting it to Mac so I can play it natively on my Mac. Please promise me it will soon, I loves your games and I believe a lot of people outhere -who has the same problems with me- really waiting for it..
  • Bootcamp works just fine. But I must admit, I play D3 more often then I do the reboot...
    ploki wrote:
    Kalsten wrote:

Even Shadows?

Thanks.

Finally, I've checked. Even shadows were at max. Although now I put them at medium quality and the game is going smoother (maybe it was at around 45 fps, and now it goes at 60, so it is an improvement, but the game was totally enjoyable before also).
    Serkevan wrote:
    It's coming after GUTS, but as we don't have a date for either, I can't even give you a rough estimate...
    Problem is, that we've not heard anything since September about it. With my luck, when it finally comes out, TL2 will probably already have got a permanent price cut. I wonder how many extra sales they got because people were expecting it to be out "soon" based on what we were being told at the time. I bought it because I was expecting it to have been available by now.
  • ariharih Posts: 2
    Serkevan wrote:
    Problem is, that we've not heard anything since September about it. With my luck, when it finally comes out, TL2 will probably already have got a permanent price cut. I wonder how many extra sales they got because people were expecting it to be out "soon" based on what we were being told at the time. I bought it because I was expecting it to have been available by now.

Same here, same here. Bought the game on day one expecting the Mac version to be out by December/January and nothing, haven't played it yet. Well, lesson learned i guess.
    Sad thing is, right about the same time, I bought two games that promised ports, Hotline Miami being the other one. That one still isn't out, but they have been giving frequent updates on it, so I am not worried.
  • Maybe someone from Runic can tell us more? Are you working on it currently? Are there technical problems? When can we expect it?

As a paying customer, having showed early support based on the promise the Mac port would be the first next thing to release, I hope you are working on it and we get to see it soon, as promised.
    They always said that the Mac port was the second next thing after release, GUTS was (and is) first. That's what happens when a lot of people start crying for the game to come out RITE NAO. They did make a mistake taking preorders, but that was demanded by the community, so... patience is a virtue.
  • Serkevan wrote:
    They always said that the Mac port was the second next thing after release, GUTS was (and is) first.
    That's not what they always said. It was only very near the actual release that they stated that GUTS would not directly ship with it, making the Mac port the second next thing. Ergo, I think Runic should work on their initial promise as well, and at least keep us up to date.
    AFAIK, when I preordered (early June), GUTS was already stated to come out after release. Anyway, there was a post by TravisBaldree stating they are wrapping up GUTS and the Mac port is next, but he gave no time estimate for either.
  • I think you mean the posts on January 2nd from Travis? Thanks for pointing that out. He does not say anything about the Mac port though, but we'll see.

Still, when you look at the interviews given by Max, for a long time one would believe that the mod tools would be released with the game. Now, it's fine that Runic was not comfortable with releasing those tools yet when the released the game (well, maybe not). But since one had the impression that the mod tools would be released with the game, it is not strange to believe that those tools would be almost finished when the game was released (or pre-orderable). So, how long could that take, right?

I don't have a special interest the mod tools, but I do care about the Mac port. Since from above reasoning the mod tools would not take long, it would not be long that they started porting. Apparently not so, a situation due to making promises one could not keep. We've had several release date estimates and the game got delayed multiple times. Again "promises" one could not keep and I think this made them to release the game too early. Because of that early release, they now still have to deal with promises they cannot keep. Releasing something soon after a release is not half a year.

Morale, don't make promises one cannot keep. But since Runic has to deal with this, please keep us posted on the Mac port as well.
    Yep, they at least admitted it was a very big mistake to both take prorders and give an estimated launch time... now we can only hope they release both the mod tools and the port as soon as it is humanly possible.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭
    Runic has spent the last four years working on Torchlight games with little break. They're currently all on vacation. I think after working on a game for two and a half years straight they deserve one. I'm sure that once they get back they'll get right to working on releasing GUTS and whatever patch(es) they have left. The Mac port is a pretty big commit and I've been trying to tell everyone that you won't see it until late spring/early summer at the earliest.

They have never, ever set an exact date for either GUTS or the Mac port. Ever. They've never implied that it would come out soon after OR that it would come out 'with' the game. They've never once implied that. They've always reminded people that they are a small development team and that means they can only work on so much at once. For right now it is perfectly possible to run Torchlight II via Wine, and there are mod tools the community has provided that are capable of quite a bit. Just look at Salan's Synergies mod for an example of what the community tools are capable of.

Patience, folks. I think Runic should have earned more than a bit of peoples faith by now.
    ItfooQF.png
    Zidders wrote:
    Runic has spent the last four years working on Torchlight games with little break. They're currently all on vacation. I think after working on a game for two and a half years straight they deserve one. I'm sure that once they get back they'll get right to working on releasing GUTS and whatever patch(es) they have left. The Mac port is a pretty big commit and I've been trying to tell everyone that you won't see it until late spring/early summer at the earliest.

They have never, ever set an exact date for either GUTS or the Mac port. Ever. They've never implied that it would come out soon after OR that it would come out 'with' the game. They've never once implied that. They've always reminded people that they are a small development team and that means they can only work on so much at once. For right now it is perfectly possible to run Torchlight II via Wine, and there are mod tools the community has provided that are capable of quite a bit. Just look at Salan's Synergies mod for an example of what the community tools are capable of.

Patience, folks. I think Runic should have earned more than a bit of peoples faith by now.

That's why I said "as soon as it is humanly possible", I don't want them to get burnt. I'm not going to die if I have to wait some more time.
  • jrodmanjrodman Posts: 85
    Requesting, or even demanding, some form of update seems perfectly reasonable to me.

It doesn't cost much to say the current situation, and given the timelines it should have already been stated.
  • gold163gold163 Posts: 4,852
    Runic's in a tough position. If they keep their lips sealed then people will complain that they aren't being given enough information. If they give in and reveal some info it'll leave many hungry for more. And if the fans step in to defend Runic they risk antagonizing the rest of the customer base.

All in all it's probably for the better that they keep quiet until they have something to show us. Giving us a timeline for the Mac port could be potentially disastrous given that they haven't even given a timeline for GUTS, which is supposed to come first. And if they give us a deadline, and they miss it, reactions will be all over the place.
    cxNEL.png
    Zidders wrote:

No, but they did give a general time frame. Back in September, they said the mac port was"next on the agenda, but it will take a couple months at least". By that, you figure that it'd near christmas, 3 months or so after that statement. Here it is, 4 months later, and no word.
    "Next in the agenda" after getting GUTS out. The problem lies with GUTS being delayed from somewhere between 1-2 months after release to at least 4.
    Yeah, I feel a bit disappointed. I am playing in Windows (Parallels 7) and it runs OK, but I though that we would have the Mac version already. And Runic not saying a word is not good. I would prefer that someone came and say "OK, we have delayed this until X, because we are doing Y atm, and the Mac version is in the state Z, close to the end or no". This remains me of the Google Nexus 4 silence xD
  • FinrazielFinraziel Posts: 505
    No, but they did give a general time frame. Back in September, they said the mac port was"next on the agenda, but it will take a couple months at least". By that, you figure that it'd near christmas, 3 months or so after that statement. Here it is, 4 months later, and no word.
    I think you're reading that wrong... If they say that it's planned but it will take a couple months at least, then I'd read that as yeah we want to do that but it will take time and we can't make any promises. You seem to read it as oh, a couple months, well, that would be two, so maybe it'll be three or four max. That's really reading more into it than they said though, wishful thinking.
    While I understand they stated that it would be about 2 months when they start it (and they hadn't started at that time), but the phrasing of things in that statement, and in the rest of the AMA, it generally seemed like they were just about to start the process. I mean, even going based purely on the one quote, "Next thing on the agenda" isn't something you'd really state if you're months off from even beginning it.
  • It'd be really handy if they could at least confirm that they're still working on it, and give confirmation that save games will be compatible between the two versions. I'm not about to buy the Windows version and start playing with Boot Camp if there's a chance the Mac version might come out half way through, and I'll have to start over to play natively.
  • Same. I have no problem with it being delayed. Perfection takes time, and I would rather wait a couple months for a polished mac version then get sloppy seconds right now. But silence is something that hurts. A lot. All I really want is some news.
    The delay doesn't bother me so much, as the lack of communication. Back when the game launched, they made it seem like it would be soon there after. If they hit a snag or something, and things got delayed, well, ok. Just let people know how things are going, so they're not waiting in anticipation for something that may be a long way off.
  • jrodmanjrodman Posts: 85
    gold163 wrote:
    Runic's in a tough position. If they keep their lips sealed then people will complain that they aren't being given enough information. If they give in and reveal some info it'll leave many hungry for more. And if the fans step in to defend Runic they risk antagonizing the rest of the customer base.

All in all it's probably for the better that they keep quiet until they have something to show us. Giving us a timeline for the Mac port could be potentially disastrous given that they haven't even given a timeline for GUTS, which is supposed to come first. And if they give us a deadline, and they miss it, reactions will be all over the place.

Agree timelines would be a mistake.
    Comments on items accomplished would be smart.
This discussion has been closed.