Prismatic Rift: does it always teleport?

JohnJSalJohnJSal Posts: 56
edited March 2013 in Embermage Discussions
I'm a little confused by the tooltip. If you put 1 point into this, will monsters always teleport away from you when they hit, or is that what the 15% means? Or is the 15% the chance that the extra effect will happen?

Thanks.

Comments

• SirMisterSirMister Posts: 166
    The 15% is the chance they will teleport. Where they teleport to is random, and the % chance for the elemental effect is unlisted. Best used by maxing, and only if you lack other CC and/ or are using a staff. It's actually hard to predict where they will go, so it messes up your ability to position certain monsters, and messes up groupings, and can cut off your retreat unexpectedly. On top of that, the elemental debuff is impossible to count on, both in occurring and what occurs, to the point of uselessness. For all these reasons, it's an unpopular skill. Still, if you have no other options, when maxed it makes sure if you are hit once you won't be hit immediately again, so it makes you more survivable. Probably a better move would be to grab an actual CC skill, like ice prison, instead. Useful against bosses and champions, gives you a fortress to hide in when things get rough, can completely cut off narrow passages. It's a much more effective and reliable means of preventing incoming damage, which is all prismatic rift does. That being said, I still have it on my chaos mage, for flavor purposes.
  • JohnJSalJohnJSal Posts: 56
    Yeah, I've skipped it so far, but I now have 23 unspent points and I have no idea where to put them, because I'm trying NOT to use any fire skills (so Immolation Aura and Fire Brand are untouched so far). I don't really need anymore offensive spells, because a couple of casts of Hailstorm destroys the entire screen anyway. I was thinking of Elemental Boon and/or Prismatic Rift, just to add some extra utility. But unless the duration of EB gets longer with more points, it seems annoying to cast it so often. But still, I don't know where else to put the points. :?
  • lminithlminith Posts: 34
    Prismatic Rift is one of the most underestimated skills of Embermage. While Elemental Attunement is on the other spectre... because most people don't understand that the % elemental debuffs applies to MELEE RANGE AOE! And the only benefit they take is from the extended duration which is not really needed because you're spaming spells and constantly refreshing that timer.

Consider this:
    You are a long range class, your doom is melee attacks that survive your spell barrage. When 1 of those attacks hits you it has a chance for the mob to be sent faraway again, meaning he has to survive spell barrage 2... while you stay put spaming your spells yawning.

This is like a passive Frost Phase that unlocks on Lv1, but instead of teleporting you away it teleports them away. I always put 1 point on it before I reach Estherian Enclave. You should too, specialy if you're playing Elite. While you kite mobs your effective DPS is 0. Its hard to outrun mobs that have same movespeed as you, not to mention you can't outrun burning skeletons on Act I.
    So 1 point in it is mandatory, just like 1 point into Frost Phase is later on. Regardless of your Embermage build.

Regarding your unspent points its hard to suggest with no information where have you spent your other points, although you seem to be focusing on Ice.
    If you're gonna go with Wand, Wand Chaos is great with Icy Blast. Thunder Locus is a good option as it benefits from Hailstorm which you use and you can make use as an effective tactic versus champs/bosses. At least 1 point into Frozen Fate is also nice for the added passive crowd control. Ice Prison is also important, but on Elite it dies too quickly.
    If you decide to put points in Fire, Blazing Pillar(s) is great for charge generation as a 1 click forget skill. Immolation aura is also good if you have low %DR, but increase at 5 a time... and add the Fire Brand.
  • lminith wrote:
    Prismatic Rift is one of the most underestimated skills of Embermage. While Elemental Attunement is on the other spectre... because most people don't understand that the % elemental debuffs applies to MELEE RANGE AOE! And the only benefit they take is from the extended duration which is not really needed because you're spaming spells and constantly refreshing that timer.

Consider this:
    You are a long range class, your doom is melee attacks that survive your spell barrage. When 1 of those attacks hits you it has a chance for the mob to be sent faraway again, meaning he has to survive spell barrage 2... while you stay put spaming your spells yawning.

This is like a passive Frost Phase that unlocks on Lv1, but instead of teleporting you away it teleports them away. I always put 1 point on it before I reach Estherian Enclave. You should too, specialy if you're playing Elite. While you kite mobs your effective DPS is 0. Its hard to outrun mobs that have same movespeed as you, not to mention you can't outrun burning skeletons on Act I.
    So 1 point in it is mandatory, just like 1 point into Frost Phase is later on. Regardless of your Embermage build.

Regarding your unspent points its hard to suggest with no information where have you spent your other points, although you seem to be focusing on Ice.
    If you're gonna go with Wand, Wand Chaos is great with Icy Blast. Thunder Locus is a good option as it benefits from Hailstorm which you use and you can make use as an effective tactic versus champs/bosses. At least 1 point into Frozen Fate is also nice for the added passive crowd control. Ice Prison is also important, but on Elite it dies too quickly.
    If you decide to put points in Fire, Blazing Pillar(s) is great for charge generation as a 1 click forget skill. Immolation aura is also good if you have low %DR, but increase at 5 a time... and add the Fire Brand.

I agree. Prismatic Rift is underrated. If anyone here plays melee classes there are plenty of champs that have a version of this special ability and it makes killing them...harder.
  • FinrazielFinraziel Posts: 505
    If anyone here plays melee classes there are plenty of champs that have a version of this special ability and it makes killing them...harder.
    That is because their ratio between damage they do and HP they have is completely different from ours. They don't get oneshot, we do. Any skill that relies on you getting hit wont work on elite.
    I don't even get how you can say this helps in the beginning of elite. 1 rank in prismatic rift means that on 1 in 7 hits, the enemy will be teleported away. You're going to stand there and somehow survive 7 hits? Why not just facetank them all the way then? In that time you should easily be able to kill anything that isn't a champion or a troll or something. And once you do get frost phase at lvl 14 there is just no excuse to be hit more than once in a row, or you shouldn't be playing elite (and I do actually think that prismatic rift has a place... in casual, for those that just want to stand and hurl spells at monsters and don't bother with running/phasing away).
    At higher levels it gets even worse. For one, you don't even want to risk getting hit once because it may already kill you. But if you do stand your ground, your block and dodge which should be high will mean most of the incoming hits don't hit you. Only when both block AND dodge fail you get a CHANCE for prismatic rift to do anything at all. Most likely, you'll either get frustrated with elite because it's too hard, or you forget you even have prismatic rift because it never does anything.

Of course, if you do enjoy prismatic rift, hey more power to you, but I think for most people it's far better to pretend the skill doesn't even exist.
  • HungryHungry Posts: 68
    Finraziel wrote:
    Most likely, you'll either get frustrated with elite because it's too hard, or you forget you even have prismatic rift because it never does anything.

I think you're overstating it. Even with only one point in PR, it usually seems to kick in when I really need it to. Or maybe I'm just lucky.
  • is it just me or is everybody forgetting the two second stun?

that in itself has been handy. imagine in the skill read something like "stun x% of melee attackers, who are also telepotred out of melee range.

that seems like a good skill, no?
  • FinrazielFinraziel Posts: 505
    Well no, it doesn't change the fact that you should aim to never be hit in the first place... Enemies are either small and inconsequential and the stun doesn't help much, or they're so big that if you let them hit you, you die. Well ok, maybe not every time, but often enough to not let them hit you.
    It does depend on your playstyle though I guess... If you're not evading enemies as much then it does more for you. I only get hit by melee monsters very very rarely. I'm not even that great at evading, I do get hit by ranged monsters all the time, but melee? Nah... Kill them, stun them, slow them, put an icewall in their way, frost phase away... you just have so many options to get away from them.