GUTS Documentation and Tutorial Wiki

GbrownGbrown Posts: 423 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in GUTS Community Help
Here it is!

http://docs.runicgames.com

It isn't complete, but there's a lot of information up there for people to go through while we finish up the last bits and bobs on the game patch and GUTS.

Enjoy!

Comments

• RaffoBaffoRaffoBaffo Posts: 160
    YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH
  • DentonDenton Posts: 111
    RaffoBaffo wrote:
    YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH

Looks like... someone is about to spill their GUTS.

*puts on sunglasses*

YEEEEAAAAAAH!
  • mailbromailbro Posts: 43
    brb crapping my pants, removing my pants, watching a random James Bond movie, putting on a new pair of pants, all while wearing my teemo hat
  • luperieanluperiean Posts: 51
    You guys really know how to inadvertently build hype while trying not to build hype but still building hype and thus having
    all of us screaming "GUTS" like it's the zombie apocalypse! Can't wait for this! So awesome!
  • Kva3imodaKva3imoda Posts: 984 ✭✭
    :) good news.
    4ByzPdz.png 88pn2UZ.pngtrCrfep.png
  • Gbrown wrote:
    Here it is!

http://docs.runicgames.com

It isn't complete, but there's a lot of information up there for people to go through while we finish up the last bits and bobs on the game patch and GUTS.

Enjoy!

I'd like to make a request for the following Logics to be added to the MonsterObject (and more generally Character units):
      MoveTo(location) SetPath() to change their current Path GetLocation()

And the following Output Events...
      OnBlocked = when they are blocked from moving forward to their Path or current MoveTo

• Oh dear ****, why can't we embed videos here?
  • So.... Beautiful...
    背景音楽主義
    !jrpg
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    mmm guts... I can't wait to get into the animations and particles and chunk editors...
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭
    Simply delightful.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • DentonDenton Posts: 111
    Looks like the Runic wiki will also include descriptions for all(?) of the properties and values found in the DAT files. Or at least I hope it will include all of them. That would be absolutely great! It would remove the need to test many of the less obvious ones or ask about them on the forums, in order to find out exactly what they do.

I know the wiki is still in progress, and this is not the only thing missing right now, but I didn't see a page about GLOBALS.DAT. I hope that one will be included too (with descriptions).
  • BemusedBearBemusedBear Posts: 269
    Huzzah! ... Did I do it right?
  • FoldarFoldar Posts: 405
    Very glad to see this documentation is up, I have a lot to learn :)
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭
    I'm just here to watch people take their pants off
    :twisted:
    ItfooQF.png
  • FoldarFoldar Posts: 405
    LOL Zidders
  • This is very good news indeed. Thanks, Runic!
  • Banzai!
  • OedipusTexOedipusTex Posts: 528
    Thanks again to the Runic team for all of your hard work putting this together.
    theolbanner.png
  • ChunesChunes Posts: 67
    Excellent work! It's fun reading through the wiki and finding little bits like "This Level Object is used to ... " and then it trails off, unfinished. Can't wait for some of these pages to be fleshed out!

By the way, guys — try going here, as it has tons of pages that don't seem to be linked to anywhere else.
  • The great thing about a wiki is it is very much a living document, expect continued edits and organizational improvements :)
    Runic Games Webmaster
    Forum Rules | Support Forums | E-mail Support
  • DushoDusho Posts: 988
    Hi Greg

I've noticed that some forms are really big. E.g. here: http://docs.runicgames.com/wiki/Level_Rule_Sets_Editor
    Would it be possible to have it either rearranged a bit or have it scrollable? Commonly used rule is that whenever form in it's default view is bigger than 1024x768, it should scroll.
    (there are LOTs of laptops with 1366x768 out there)
    Thanks!

Also, thanks for all the work, Runic. Documenting stuff is really time consuming and not so much fun...
  • PandoraPandora Posts: 336
    Zidders wrote:
    I'm just here to watch people take their pants off
    :twisted:
    you're in luck
  • xenoarghxenoargh Posts: 10
    Went through a lot of the information that's been made available. Some thoughts:

1. One of the things modders have already been doing and will want to keep doing is to have humans with wardrobes as "pets".

Yet non-Players cannot have things like mana amounts defined anywhere and basically cannot use the same graphs Players can. Is this going to be addressed so that mods can have human helpers that have the same graphs as Players?

2. As the Humans as Pets mod and the imported version to Synergies demonstrate, it's possible (barely, and buggily) to get Pets to use a UI Layout that allows them to have inventories swapped. Thus far, these implementations have been very buggy, however. How much of this is do to people just trying to make existing Layouts fit a different model and how much of it is an inherent limitation? Will this get addressed by Runic?

3. I don't see a lot of documentation on how to build a complex Quest. Will it be possible to have a Quest where you need to:

A. Talk to a character.
    B. Go to a place and activate a trigger (through, say, pulling some switches in a certain order).
    C. Talk to another person entirely, whose conversation will be based on the trigger state set in B.

I also don't see anything about how we're supposed to deal with logical states in scripts. For example, if conditions A and B are TRUE, which conversation will I get from The King of Everywhere when I hand him the MacGuffin?

4. Most modders don't have 3DS Max and can't afford to buy it just to mod the game. I don't see any information suggesting that people are going to be able to import OBJ data for static objects (props, projectiles, new tile sets, etc., etc.).

What plans, if any, does Runic have to support modders who aren't Max users but would like to make 3D content?

From personal experience, I know that not having ways to import / export meshes, make clones, etc., without major hassles is a serious detriment to any modding community. Companies that get this formula right, on the other hand, see huge modding communities that keep their sales cycle going strong a long time after release.

I think Runic should consider this issue very seriously; not being able to change content easily means that ultimately all we're going to see is maybe 1-2 half-finished mods by the elite guys who have the pro tools (before they get bored and quit) and a smattering of random gear created in mutually-exclusive content packages, whereas if good tools for importing / exporting content exist and a spirit of sharing is created between projects, it's possible to create a large modding community and not just a few stats experiments with some new uber-monsters that look the same as all the other monsters, etc., etc.

For example, if there was a solid workflow for Blender that wasn't terribly painful, or a way to port meshes rigged for other formats (good ol' SMD for example) it would really help. But the real key (imo) is the low-level stuff that newbies will want to do. Swords, guns, cool shields. They'll understand if it's not possible to do full costumes without a lot of skills, but it'll kill creativity if, at the end of the long, long road for most newbies to simply learn how to make a skinned mesh, they find that they need to learn a whole bunch of new things to merely get it into the game (or worse yet, have to resort to piracy). I think this area needs more serious thought put into it.

Anyhow, I am aware that some tools for Blender now exist, even if they're somewhat limited (IIRC, the person maintaining that said that you couldn't add new bones or build new skeletons or build new animations, all of which are kind of a big deal). Therefore,there's some (presumably Open Source, being Blender) code to work from. Given that you folks at Runic have invested so much time into the rest of this modding toolkit, shouldn't basic content creation be a pretty big priority?
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭
    xenoargh wrote:
    4. Most modders don't have 3DS Max and can't afford to buy it just to mod the game. I don't see any information suggesting that people are going to be able to import OBJ data for static objects (props, projectiles, new tile sets, etc., etc.).
    From experience with TL1 I can tell you that static objects can be done with any proper Ogre exporter for a 3D program. Maya and Blender both have these. I know for a fact that Maya's exporter can handle skinned meshes as well, having made pets and props that use animation skeletons, and I'm pretty sure Blender's ogre exporter can do this as well. (Getting them to work with existing character meshes/skeletons, for the purposes of things like making new armor sets, is probably more challenging.)

Granted, this stuff should still be added to the wiki anyway but I am 100% sure it will be possible, given that it was possible (and even somewhat easy for things like weapons and environment props) in TL1.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • ChunesChunes Posts: 67
    xenoargh wrote:
    I also don't see anything about how we're supposed to deal with logical states in scripts. For example, if conditions A and B are TRUE, which conversation will I get from The King of Everywhere when I hand him the MacGuffin?

Logical states http://docs.runicgames.com/wiki/Logic_Gate_Object
    Comparisons http://docs.runicgames.com/wiki/Stat_Evaluator_Object
    Math http://docs.runicgames.com/wiki/Stats_Operator_Object
    Timers http://docs.runicgames.com/wiki/Timer_Object
    Counters http://docs.runicgames.com/wiki/Counter_Object

It's all here; don't worry. :mrgreen:

This stuff even comes with a debugger! http://docs.runicgames.com/wiki/Logic_Debug
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    The absolute best thing about GUTS is the removal of dependency on raw files. No compatibility issues!
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • PandoraPandora Posts: 336
    having finally gone through all of it.

1. text (chat) based triggers? (I'm going to assume yes based on PvP functionality)
    2. item references. I'd like to disable vanilla items (not delete them) and link them to my new items for safe/convenient uninstalls of my mods. (all said, mod scope would make uninstalling a pain anyway)
  • Danu88Danu88 Posts: 43
    Great and wait and the new patch of game
    ``~~ King Angel ~~``
  • hermeticcharmhermeticcharm Posts: 91 ✭✭
    Yay! A new distraction from school! :D
    "And so the endless cycle of life comes to an end - meaningless and grim. Why did they live and why did they die? No reason. . ."
  • Throwing up this question here in the hopes some dev somewhere some time might see it.

As far as Themes go, is there a way to manipulate their "weight" on the fly, in-game? Is there a way to do this for anything with a weight?

If not, you can dynamically change Themes in-game by having a certain Input trigger change the "show" and "hide" values for certain themes, correct? Or are themes only applied to groups on map load?
    背景音楽主義
    !jrpg