Opinions on my prismatic build

MemexMemex Posts: 2
edited April 2013 in Embermage Discussions
I use this build atm on advanced finding it quite easy to decimate groups of mobs if i survive the occasional alpha.
Imo prismatic is way too strong but thats just me if i can dodge dmg even bosses are pretty simple.
I am level 50 atm so not even finished yet.

heres my build [LINK DELETED]

opinions welcome

Comments

• VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    I suggest you drop Wand Chaos - it's too unreliable for damage, furthermore, PB should destroy enemies by itself - you should just be spamming it all the time. Which leads me to another thing - you don't need to max PB - that just rises the mana consumption for very little payoff. If you can spam it constantly, then fine, but otherwise don't level it up. You can leave it at 5 points or 10 at most. Finally, Prismatic Rift is just...meh - if you play on lower difficulties, it's sort of on the OK side but if you're on veteran or especially elite, you don't want to get hit period and PR only acts after getting hit. If you're on normal/casual, though - don't worry too much - it's even somewhat fun.

With that said, you better max Haistorm - it gives you way more damage output than PB. Also, put at least one point in Frozen Fate as it's a really good skill.

The leftover points you can put into several skills - here are my recommendations:
    - Death's Bounty - it's good for healing and mana regeneration (if you have problems) - you don't need to max it, 10 is a good rank to have there but if you do take it, try to have at least 5 for the slow, doesn't matter as much how much higher you go.
    - Ice Prison - either get it to tier 1 for the shatter bonus or better yet, max it so you can spam it.
    - Prismatic Rift - if you play normal or casual, and you decide to keep PR, you may as well max this out.
    - Charge Mastery or Frozen Fate - any points you don't want to put anywhere else.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg
  • UematsuUematsu Posts: 34
    I would definitely take off blazing pillar in favor of death's bounty. The ideal rotation would be to hit clusters of mobs with death's bounty for the 50% cast speed buff, then hail storm to stun/slow em and finally nuke the **** out of them with PB. Blazing pillar is just a waste of points because by the time they hit anything, usually it's already dead and in the second it took to cast, you could have pumped out 1 or 2 prismatic bolts that do equal or greater damage depending on how many points allocated. Finally, I'm not sure what difficulty you're playing on but immolation aura is definitely a wise investment on Vet and Elite difficulties to deal with those pesky ranged attacks. It will make you much less squishy.

I would take all points out of Prismatic Rift in favor of Immolation aura. The reason PR is so bad is because sometimes it causes monsters to blink behind you cutting off your path of escape and monsters shooting you from behind is never a good thing. Also, elemental attunement is probably the most useless ability for PB spec as mobs will be constantly getting debuffed with all elements because of the nature of the spec. I would take all points out of this and put them into charge mastery. The logic here is the faster your charge bar goes up, the quicker you get 25% boost to PB damage. With 10 points it should insure that your charge bar is always maxed out in combat. Finally, I like elemental boon, It ensures bosses and elite mobs die nearly instantly, even in elite mode and it also gives you some pretty nice elemental resist again reducing your squishyness. I would drop thunder locust in favor of elemental boon but that's me. Some people hate elemental boon because they cant remember to work it into their rotations but let me assure you that EB is far more useful late game than thunder locust.

I find [LINK DELETED]: to be the best PB spec that works for me late game.
  • NauzhrorNauzhror Posts: 1,090
    [LINK DELETED] is what I've had the most success with.
    Uematsu wrote:
    I would definitely take off blazing pillar in favor of death's bounty. The ideal rotation would be to hit clusters of mobs with death's bounty for the 50% cast speed buff, then hail storm to stun/slow em and fAlso, elemental attunement is probably the most useless ability for PB spec as mobs will be constantly getting debuffed with all elements because of the nature of the spec. I would take all points out of this and put them into charge mastery. The logic here is the faster your charge bar goes up, the quicker you get 25% boost to PB damage. With 10 points it should insure that your charge bar is always maxed out in combat.

I disagree about both elemental attunement and charge mastery.

Maxing attunement is a waste of points, a few points into it though isn't in my eyes. Charge mastery on the other hand IS a waste of points. That 25% damage increase you mentioned?

It's not really 25%.

By that I mean:

Level 100 embermage: 510 base focus, let's say for the ease of calculating that prismatic bolt only does 40 base damage, 10 of each element:

510/2=255%

40 + (40*2.55)=142

You're likely under the impression that when charged that means it does: 142*1.25=178

That's not the case, it's an extra 25% of base, it does 152. It's actually only a 7% damage increase in that scenario.

This is why boosts to casting speed are so much more useful than boosts to damage, since a 20% casting speed bonus really IS a damage increase of 20%.

As for Death's bounty, I just don't consider it to be useful, at all. It's never going to be the kind of rapid healing that will save your life in a tough fight, and the healing it does provide can just as easily be supplied by the thousands of potions you will find on the enemies you kill.

On Elite I'd typically go from full health to near death in a matter of seconds, and then frost phase away and heal with a potion, those types of scenarios aren't really helped any by a spell that results in slow and gradual healing.
    Wq022Hq.png
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
  • UematsuUematsu Posts: 34
    [LINK DELETED] is what I've had the most success with.
    Uematsu wrote:
    I would definitely take off blazing pillar in favor of death's bounty. The ideal rotation would be to hit clusters of mobs with death's bounty for the 50% cast speed buff, then hail storm to stun/slow em and fAlso, elemental attunement is probably the most useless ability for PB spec as mobs will be constantly getting debuffed with all elements because of the nature of the spec. I would take all points out of this and put them into charge mastery. The logic here is the faster your charge bar goes up, the quicker you get 25% boost to PB damage. With 10 points it should insure that your charge bar is always maxed out in combat.

I disagree about both elemental attunement and charge mastery.

Maxing attunement is a waste of points, a few points into it though isn't in my eyes. Charge mastery on the other hand IS a waste of points. That 25% damage increase you mentioned?

It's not really 25%.

By that I mean:

Level 100 embermage: 510 base focus, let's say for the ease of calculating that prismatic bolt only does 40 base damage, 10 of each element:

510/2=255%

40 + (40*2.55)=142

You're likely under the impression that when charged that means it does: 142*1.25=178

That's not the case, it's an extra 25% of base, it does 152. It's actually only a 7% damage increase in that scenario.

This is why boosts to casting speed are so much more useful than boosts to damage, since a 20% casting speed bonus really IS a damage increase of 20%.

As for Death's bounty, I just don't consider it to be useful, at all. It's never going to be the kind of rapid healing that will save your life in a tough fight, and the healing it does provide can just as easily be supplied by the thousands of potions you will find on the enemies you kill.

On Elite I'd typically go from full health to near death in a matter of seconds, and then frost phase away and heal with a potion, those types of scenarios aren't really helped any by a spell that results in slow and gradual healing.[/quote]

Regarding charge mastery, I didn't know that about charge mastery but even if it is a buff of only 7% it still stacks pretty nicely with the elemental overload scroll bonus and elemental boon. Regarding elemental attunement, I cannot disagree more. The debuffs poison/fire/electric/ice seem to always stick on the very first PB and last a base time of 5 seconds; very seldom do I allow more than 5 seconds to elapse before firing off another prismatic bolt so the debuffs stay on constantly without needing any points in elemental attunement. And finally, regarding death's bounty I completely agree that it's not worth taking for the healing and mana regen properties. I took death's bounty solely for the 50% cast speed buff it gives at 10 points. Putting another 5 is completely optional; I did because I always use it at the start of my rotation and that 1 second stun allows for me to cast hailstorm with no pressure on me from loose mobs. Hail storm stuns/freezes them again and I'm ready to begin my PB volley of death upon them.

/edit, I just took a look at your spec and I would highly suggest getting rid of ancestral ally. AA is probably the most underwhelming final skill of any talent tree in the game. Honestly your pet probably does more damage than a fully talented AA. Runic may buff AA eventually but I wouldn't waste points in it until they do.
  • NauzhrorNauzhror Posts: 1,090
    Uematsu wrote:
    /edit, I just took a look at your spec and I would highly suggest getting rid of ancestral ally. AA is probably the most underwhelming final skill in any talent tree in the game. Honestly your pet probably does more damage than a fully talented AA. Runic may buff AA eventually but I wouldn't waste points in it until they do.

I don't really use AA for damage, I just use it as a distraction to slightly reduce squishiness, I tossed points into it very late level-wise when I had more points to spend than I felt there were particularly useful things to spend the points on.

The build probably could be improved upon slightly, but it got me through NG+5 on **** elite with very little challenge so while likely not 100% ideal - it certainly works well.

As far as it being the most underwhelming final talent, I'd actually argue it's the best final talent of the embermages three options. Firestorm and Shocking Orb are damage, and worse than prismatic bolt, thus serve no purpose whatsoever, AA is at least a one and done type spell like elemental boon - where it serves a different purpose as opposed to being the same purpose but inferior.

ie. I'd rather have a distraction for enemies that absorbs damage than another spell that only wastes time that should be spent casting prismatic bolt.
    Wq022Hq.png
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams