Fire, with some frost.

Moose123Moose123 Posts: 198
edited April 2013 in Embermage Discussions
After remembering that the new asian hemed pets are coming out and seeing a pic of the awesome panda! I decided I need to have a new character planned out so I can have the panda pet, because all of my other characters have al ready gotten pretty far in the game/are finished the game, and I don't want to restart a new build just for the sake of a pet.

So I don't have a firemage, I pretty much have everything else, cannoneer, FHgineer, glaivelander, gunlander/spell trigger, frostmage, PBmage, raze, ravage, wolfpack and tundra zerks...

After reading the, "why is firetree so terrible(cry, cry, cry)" thread I decided that's what I wanted to do with my next build. Also inspired by that thread I realised that some CC was needed to keep me from getting overwhelmed. So a full firemage didn't make sense, and one of the greatest CC skills is icy blast.

Thus this build was born,
[LINK DELETED]

Now the main reason I made this build is for the fun of it, so that's why I have wand chaos over staff mastery. I plan to dual wield wands, unless I find myself needing the shield, mostly because two wands looks the best on female characters. Also I will be playing on veteran softcore, because HCE is far too serious for this build.

The playstyle explains itself, icy blast, firestorm, magma spear, infernal collapse, frost phase. Sometimes casting blazing pillars and fire bombs.

For stats, 1 dex, 4 focus seems like a pretty good distribution.

Comments

• VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    Drop Prismatic Rift entirely - it's not worth it on veteran - if something oneshots you, you won't get any satisfaction from it (maybe) teleporting away. Instead max out Immolation Aura, as it is much more reliable to keep you alive. Also max out WC - if you're going to take it, go all the way, I'd say. And you can also drop Ice Brand to 1 point - you don't get a big improvement on 5, you can invest in something else. If you take 1 point off Elemental Attunement, you can max out Firebombs (or not - your choice). If you take another point off EA, you can put it into Frozen Fate. At any rate, put at least 1 point in FF. If you want to shuffle things around, you can take points off Charge Mastery, since it's not essential.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg
  • Moose123Moose123 Posts: 198
    I never really liked PR anyway so it can go.

Revised build after your well educated comments,
    [LINK DELETED]

So the build still plays the same way but it has slightly more CC from FF, and maxed firebombs.

Thanks, for your contructive critism!
  • VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    That seems fine. I'll only suggest you think about taking Death's Bounty and/or putting more points into Icy Blast. It's not mandatory at all, just consider if you'll find them useful - you can take points off CM, as I said.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg
    Is death's bounty all that great? From what I heard it never really helps that much in the end game. I could be completely wrong though, if so please feel free to correct me.

I will see which I need more later on, charge or CC. If I need charge the build will stay the same, if more CC is needed I will take 5 points out of CM to put into icy blast.
  • FinrazielFinraziel Posts: 505
    DB's slow is very nice, especially when combined with firebombs. Big slowswinging monsters look like they're just standing still, and slow can't be resisted (unless something is totally immune to it) like stun so it's more reliable later on.
    I do wonder how you'd use icy blast, since it's hard to even hit anything with it at range... Is it just to slow monsters that are already in your face? If so, wouldn't firebombs already cover that? Or just phase away.
    It is to spam at monsters so that they deal less damage to me, it also has very nice CC effects, and it works well with ffrozen fate and frostbrand to give me some nice abilities that all fire just doesn't give. It also works for wand chaos and at high levels those spell procs can do a ton of damage.

DB, hmmm... I will try it out on one of my other mages to see if I like it or not.
  • UematsuUematsu Posts: 34
    Yes drop prismatic rift and drop charge mastery and max out immolation aura and ice prison and put extra points into frozen fate. That should help with survivability. You should also think about dropping icy blast and firebombs in favor of death's bounty.
    [LINK DELETED]

A revised build, I couldn't bring myself to drop more points out of firebombs...
    Another still where the frost element is completely gone besides FP.
    [LINK DELETED]