Auto-attack embermage help

beaverusivbeaverusiv Posts: 78
edited April 2013 in Embermage Discussions
I am trying out an auto-attack Embermage:
[LINK DELETED]

I have seen one guy do an awesome Embermage that hit stuff (I think with a sword...) and killed it insanely quick (like 2 or 3 hits for Netherlord)... anyways I forgot the guy's name and I've been looking for a guide but I haven't found one that doesn't use attack skills. Has anyone else attempted this that can give feedback or show a vid or anything?

Note I am using auto-attack, NO ATTACK SKILLS.

Comments

• FinrazielFinraziel Posts: 505
    2 or 3 hits? Are you sure he wasn't just cheating?
  • No, I saw his gear. Uber-twinked to do it, but it was legit. I'm not looking for that kind of power to start with, but I want to know I can handle big crowds and all sorts of nasty stuff before choosing one skill or other.
  • HealcannonHealcannon Posts: 138
    sounds like what i originally wanted to do with my mage but i screwed up the stats and skill points too much and it was far too fragile.
    uz8u0.jpg
  • What did you take? Same as my build skills-wise?
    beaverusiv wrote:
    What did you take? Same as my build skills-wise?
    ehh i screwed up mine pretty hard but you have the same relative idea. If you want more points you probably dont need to have elemental attunement maxed because you end up with a decent chance to refresh something that lasts like 10 seconds per hit. Since that is all it does it ends up being wasted if you have a relatively fast weapon because you clip seconds.
    uz8u0.jpg
  • We'll see how it goes, I might tone it down and get 5pts Shockbolts for some more cc immob. The thing is I don't think I'll be doing much damage until the brands kick in so I want that to happen ASAP. Can't wait to start, I'll be playing Synergies as soon as I'm off work in 6 hours, but my experience should translate fairly well to vanilla. The main difference being the skill unlock levels are earlier than vanilla.
  • First lesson: If you are using auto-attack you MUST have -armour per hit. MUST. Was doing 1-2damage until I realised that, now I'm chugging along at a less insane pace. Brands and Attunement coming into their own and are already my main damage. Magma Mace has been great to keep the nasties at bay and having a leech weapon gives me a quick boost in hp before running.
  • Such a grind all the way to lvl16 where I died, kinda suicide really. Very not suitable untwinked Elite.
    So everything i thought about this brand build after getting a second mage to level 28 or so was wrong. Staff mastery only applies the debuff if you have a wand or staff equipped. If you do you can straight up cast those spells without actually auto attacking to apply it. I thought (and you might have) that using these spells could cause the debuffs and you could then hit them with your melee weapons. This is not the case. I intended to use the spells to best find a way to aoe debuff a mob then clean up with autos and magma mace. So this gives us 2 options. The first is we have a staff or wand on swap and swap it for bosses or to apply the debuff then clean up with our sword. Or we dont use staff mastery at all which would have been a 34% increase in elemental damage.

I'm not sure i want to play this style if i have to keep switching weapons to apply a 8 second debuff. Swapping and hitting them with the spells still wont refresh it so every 8 seconds we would have to swap to apply then reswap to attack normally. This could work on a boss but makes the giant mobs it is completely stupid. Magma mace has a nice arc but it isnt that long. The rest of the spells that apply either dont pierce or dont have a wide enough range to make it useful to debuff. This makes me sad. Nothing else in the trees really comes close to adding that sort of damage. Just no real practical way to apply it. takes me back to my original build which did use a staff but it would still get 1 shot even with a 200 vita investment at level 76 ng+. That was before we started to use this mod which adds like triple the monsters. I just dont know man. This sort of build has been my favorite ever since i made a dual dream enchantress on d2. Unless you have higher end gear to deck out the character i dont think the damage and the ability to survive will be there going staff with brands alone and no 34% damage increase. Any ideas?
    uz8u0.jpg
  • Yeah, my new strategy on Vet is Frost Phase for freeze, but that's only one element. It seems the only way to apply them is PBolt and that is more effective to kill them and less a mass FLIPper (Fire/Lightning/Ice/Poison).

It's very annoying, as with the brands and two other spells (c/c, mass FLIP) could've been a very fun character.

Dual Dreams ftw! ;)
    beaverusiv wrote:
    Yeah, my new strategy on Vet is Frost Phase for freeze, but that's only one element. It seems the only way to apply them is PBolt and that is more effective to kill them and less a mass FLIPper (Fire/Lightning/Ice/Poison).

It's very annoying, as with the brands and two other spells (c/c, mass FLIP) could've been a very fun character.

Dual Dreams ftw! ;)
    You need to find that video so we can figure out what he did because i cant imagine him trying to do anything we didnt already think of. My only other idea would be to focus all your gear on 1 element. You can use the other brands as secondary damage but not as important. In theory it should be easier to stack something like %fire damage then trying to get an overall damage increase. In that case i would go up to the mob and try to keep the firestorm debuff up on them instead of staff mastery. You could also do the same with the increase on hailstorm but for lightning and ice. Maybe even both but it only lasts 6 seconds before you need to cast it again and the animation is rather long. Its possible the fire one could do more damage (than staff mastery) as you have a large aoe now and you probably get more damage per gear which would also make more defensive options viable. The dual damage increase on the 2 brands from hailstorm might outdamage the aoe the firestorm brings.

I'd switch to something like this [LINK DELETED]) but you could easily move the points out of charge mastery for deaths bounty if you want. Ice prision seems to work well enough for me that i didnt feel the need to have a point in frozen fate. If i did want to move 5 points around or so id take them from charge mastery as im pretty sure 15/15 is complete overkill but the other options aren't that amazing either. Ignore the stats as i'm unsure what im going to do with them. I'll probably revert to a vita focus build but im not entirely sure.
    uz8u0.jpg
  • For what I was hoping to do charge isn't that big of a thing atm. Yeah, I wish I remembered the guy who had one, but it wasn't a video it was in a game. (His lvl20 mage rushed my lvl40 engy through the game, lol.)

Okay, mass status skills: Immo Aura/Elemental Attunement/Icy Blast/Frost Phase
    CC: Icy Blast/Frost Phase/Infernal Collapse(?)

I think forget shock for now (where is the stun???) start with ice and add fire after gotten a solid ice base. I might start a non-Synergies EHC mage and see how I go.
    beaverusiv wrote:
    For what I was hoping to do charge isn't that big of a thing atm. Yeah, I wish I remembered the guy who had one, but it wasn't a video it was in a game. (His lvl20 mage rushed my lvl40 engy through the game, lol.)

Okay, mass status skills: Immo Aura/Elemental Attunement/Icy Blast/Frost Phase
    CC: Icy Blast/Frost Phase/Infernal Collapse(?)

I think forget shock for now (where is the stun???) start with ice and add fire after gotten a solid ice base. I might start a non-Synergies EHC mage and see how I go.
    icy blast seems really **** with larger mobs. you might want to use the hailstorm then instead if you want large aoe cc. adding in another attack spell on top of casting that every 6 seconds while trying to maintain buffs really lowers how many times you can auto. Ice pillar and hail storm should be enough with smart positioning. I switched up to a more vita focus build with the firestorm and im taking a lot less damage to the point i dont have to even worry about pillar that much. I imagine with hail it would make that even easier. Also hailstorm does stun and re using it would give you a reason to go back to lightning brand. But its your build do what you want.

As for the charge it was just to keep a high uptime on a flat 25% damage increase. It's boring but it is an easy way to keep up all of our many types of damage.

Edit: I must say the fire route is way better than trying to apply the staff mastery. I wasnt aware of the fact firestorm adds 2% weakness to fire with each skill point. I cant wait to get splinters with it as it alone kills off the smaller mobs while i focus on the larger target. This is also the first time ive given my pet fireball and ice spells rather than minions. The freeze just helps with uptime on freeze while her fireballs on a fire weak target are doing as much as a brand hit. If the mobs cluster around me it is pretty awesome for an aoe. Also the weakness of fire adds to the immolation damage.

The only real issue i'm having is managing the uptime on my casts. Having to recast immo, dervish, boon and overload is super annoying. I could get a time increase mod but imo those are a tad unbalanced. Those stats increases were meant to have a downtime for a reason.
    uz8u0.jpg