[Concept] Add Fishing to Dungeons

mezmez Posts: 6
edited August 2013 in Design
One thing bothers me... you can't fishing in dungeons. But with Guts now released I'm hoping to fix that.

Would it be as simple as just adding a fishing well into random tile chunks and let the game put the chunks together normally?

Comments

• ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭
    That should almost certainly work. You could fish in TL1 dungeons, so it should just be a matter of adding a fishing hole to a dungeon chunk.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • BrianBBrianB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    Before attempting to add fishing holes to dungeons I would recommend reading the Using Level Feature Tags tutorial on the wiki.

You would need to add at least one fishing hole per level chunk in the desired dungeon to ensure that they will appear regardless of what level chunks are randomly selected to generate the dungeon. Several fishing hole Layout Links already exist that you could use. Each Fishing Hole layout link added to a level chunk must be inside its own Group with the Level Feature Tag set to "FishingHole". This is important to control the number of fishing holes that will appear in the dungeon.

The Level Rule Set for the dungeon must also be changed to add the "FishingHole" Level Feature Tag. This is where you set the number of fishing holes that should randomly appear in the dungeon. It can be a specific number or a range to randomly pick between.

That's pretty much it! If you wanted to expand the idea you could create your own fishing hole Layout Link, using existing ones as a guide, with a different Spawn Class to give the Player a chance to find different loot than they can fishing in the overworld.
  • RustyRusty Posts: 1,640
    I have actually found fishing holes in Mapworks maps before, so I know it is possible. One was unusable, and the other was usable, so it is already in there for some.
  • mezmez Posts: 6
    BrianB wrote:
    Before attempting to add fishing holes to dungeons I would recommend reading the Using Level Feature Tags tutorial on the wiki.
    That's pretty much it! If you wanted to expand the idea you could create your own fishing hole Layout Link, using existing ones as a guide, with a different Spawn Class to give the Player a chance to find different loot than they can fishing in the overworld.

Thanks for the tips!

As for spawning in Mapworks dungeons, I've done almost 20 so bad luck I guess. But never saw fishing holes in quest dungeons after 6 campaign play-throughs :(
  • GeirGeir Posts: 48
    I've been working on a mod that does this, but I'm curious about a couple of the ways the game builds levels. Working from the level building tutorial (DesertCatacombs), I've successfully added some fishing holes to the level. My question is this, the level rule set builds levels using "chunk types". Each chunk type has several layouts in its folder. To ensure that a fishing hole appears regardless of what chunks are selected, should I add a fishing hole layout link to one of the layouts in each chunk type or all of the layouts in each chunk type?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how the run-time level builder puts the levels together. If the builder adjusts which layout is used based on which ones have fishing holes, than 1 hole per type should be fine, but if it picks the chunks and then tries to satisfy feature requirements, then just putting a fishing hole in every layout within a chunk type that has to be used (say a downward staircase) would guarantee a fishing hole for the dungeon. This would be rather predictable and every dungeon is different in its use of types, but its a starting point for better understanding the engine.
    Geir wrote:
    To ensure that a fishing hole appears regardless of what chunks are selected, should I add a fishing hole layout link to one of the layouts in each chunk type or all of the layouts in each chunk type?
    To ensure a fishing hole always appears in a randomly generated dungeon you must add at least one fishing hole to every possible level layout. The game does not prioritize layouts based on what Level Feature Tags are specified in the Level Rule Set. Everything about the dungeon creation process is random, from what layouts are selected to the order chunk types are loaded and so on, so you must account for any potential outcome. If you only have a few level layouts with fishing holes there is a possibility the game won't randomly choose those and then you'd end up without any fishing holes.
    Thanks! That was exactly what I needed to know.
    I've successfully added a fishing hole to every chunk of a category of dungeon, but as far as I can tell, the fishing holes are only ever placed on the downward staircase at the end of the floor. This is fine, it works, but is there something that would cause holes to only appear on the downward staircase?
    I'm confused as fishing holes are manually placed in levels by the designer. Their potential positions aren't randomized, only which one is picked in-game from the available fishing holes, so you shouldn't be running in to problems with their positions.

How did you add fishing holes to the level chunks? Can you post a screenshot of your set up?
    Sure.

Here's the Guts editor for 1X1Exit_n_jt_a.layout:
    Fishing_Hole_Setup.jpg
    On the left side, I have the fishing holes placed in their own groups, each with the Fishinghole tag. The layout link used was "fishinghole_overworld_act2" and was placed from the palette

The level rule set has the feature "Fishinghole" with min and max both set to 1.

This particular example is a downward staircase, but I used the same setup for other chunks as well.
    Here's what it looks like in the default instance of this dungeon:
    Fishing_Hole_Instance.jpg

Here's what it looks like when I force the seed to 4:
    Fishing_Hole_Instance4.jpg

Each of these instances has only one fishing hole, as expected, and fishing holes do appear on other downward staircase chunks, but only on downward staircase chunks. I've tested 9 different seeds so far.
    Ah, I misunderstood slightly. I thought the fishing holes were only appearing directly on top of the staircase exits themselves, not just in the exit chunks, which would've been weird.

Based on that editor screenshot you have them setup correctly. I assume you've placed them in all other connecting chunks ( S, NW, NSE, etc. ) and not just exit chunks? If so, then everything should be working properly. It's possible you're just "unlucky" and the few times you've tested it they've randomly only appeared in the exit chunks. I would try regenerating the dungeon with a random level seed many more times to see if they ever appear elsewhere. You can do this using the "dungeon dungenamehere,0" console command in-game. The ",0" at the end gives the dungeon a new random level seed ( if you use any other number after the comma it's a specific level seed ).

If this problem persists feel free to PM me a link to your mod and I'll happily look at the files to see if I can fix it.
    Ah, thank you very much. I'll keep hitting the level generator and see what comes up.
    I've completed my initial goals for this mod. The mod is posted under the steam workshop as "Fisherman's Friend". The mod places fishing holes in maproom maps, as well as story-maps. Story dungeons have about a 50% chance per floor to spawn a hole, and maproom maps can have up to three holes with a guaranteed hole on the second floor. I was initially going to do two mods, one for maproom, and one for story dungeons, but the 10-mod limit changed my mind. Its probably better this way anyhow.

The mod makes no changes that will bind your character to it, so you can turn on and off as needed. Let me know on the workshop page if there are any holes that are out of reach or "floating" fishing holes.

Some changes i'd like to make in future versions:
    -Adjusting the stonework on well-style fishing holes to better match the themes.
    -Have different fishing holes for Wellspring Temple and Watchweald Temple.
    -Modify spawn classes for loot.
    -Get fishing hole models that mesh well with Dwarven Mines and Vaults. Currently no holes are placed in these. They look too out-of-place.

Unfortunately I will be starting work on another mod request, so these will need to wait until after that's been released. Thank you for all the help.
  • jaydogjaydog Posts: 4
    I also have found the odd secret fishing holes in dungeons, but hardly ever and they always seemed to be located in the boss rooms, so look around after a fight.