Prisimatic bolt is too good!

fibonacci112358fibonacci112358 Posts: 51
edited April 2013 in Embermage Discussions
This topic seems to be a repeating theme on this message board (and has triggered numerous Jihads...) , but I am yet to come across a single objective metric of overall performance of somebody using this build.

Exactly how powerful is this build????

To all those who feel prisimatic bolt is powerful (or perhaps even too powerful) - please answer this question with some NUMBERS. Namely, state the time (in hours and minutes) you took to achieve a particular objective ("I reached Level X", "kill General Grell", "kill chill hoof", "Complete Act 1", "complete Undercurrents" ... etc... ). Please also include the game difficulty, and whether it was in **** or softcore.

Note - in case you are not familiar with this feature - press "j" for journal, and scroll toward the bottom of the screen. The total game-time elapsed since character creation is at the top of the final paragraph, and the time since your last level-up is at the bottom.

Example
"I killed General Grell after 1:40,
completed Act 1 at 3:45, and
reached Level 26 at 5:08.
I was playing Elite, softcore. "

Thanks in advance.

Fibonacci

Comments

• UematsuUematsu Posts: 34
    PB build is the best dps build for embermage and probably the best dps build of any other class. But what you gain in extra damage, you lose in survivability. I find it to be really powerful for groups but not so great for soloing.
  • RustyRusty Posts: 1,640
    On Vet, Softcore, with PB build it took 15 seconds to kill Grell. I can do similar things with other OP builds too though. It all depends on your wants. Most people find it a bit boring to just use one skill the whole time.
  • @ Rusty:

Congratulations on killing Grell in 15 seconds.

However, that statement would have more meaning (i.e. would allow a useful comparison with other builds) if we also knew how long it took for you to achieve that kind of DPS. It is important to remember that in this game, EVERY character gets stronger with time. Even a very bad player, executing a very poorly conceived build, would, given enough time, farm sufficient items or get to a sufficient level to have enough survivability and DPS to kill Grell in 15 seconds.

I can't emphasise this enough. The achievements only have meaning in the context of the amount of game-time that it required.

I am not sure what the benchmarks are for Veteran, but in Elite if you managed to kill Grell in 15 seconds after 1 hour of game-time, for example, that would be very impressive.
    On the other hand...
    If you managed to kill Grell in 15 seconds after 1 hour and 40 minutes of game time, that would be decent.
    If you managed to kill Grell in 15 seconds after 2 and a half hours of game time, that would not be very impressive.

Fibonacci
  • RustyRusty Posts: 1,640
    I can't remember now, that is an old character (now in NG+), and I wasn't trying to boast. I fully complete each area, making sure the map is clear, and I clear all sidequests before I hit the story quests, so I am sure it took me a longer time, and I would guess that I was over leveled. Regardless, the build is easy enough once you hit level 14 and get the brands. I did a staff PB build, and I also ran with the Staff Mastery, which meant I would spam my 1pt magma spear to proc Staff Master and lower their resistance and then hit with PB.
  • Ah, right I see.

Indeed, it is a shame that the game does not capture that kind of data automatically.

Most people don't bother checking the journal after significant game events (or after leveling up), and the information is then lost.

It would be nice if the game journal could keep a timeline of landmark game events to make these comparisons easier.

In any case, the if you're reading this - the next time you start a PB Embermage, see if you can record the timing of key events in the early part of your game.

Fibonacci
  • PB numbers don't lie. % dmg to all doesn't lie. PB shoots 5 bolts each 1 is guaranteed to do 1 of 4 elemental dmg, with 3 brands that's huge chances that you'll land a brand and 1 of the missiles either in that set of 5 will hit and proc the brand or the next wave of 5 missiles will proc it. Each time you cast PB you can potentially proc all 3 brands and any dmg after those 3 brands will proc the explosion making this spell DEADLY. When you play a specific element the only % dmg you want is that element, when your charge bar is full all you benefit from it(dmg wise) is your specific element type. With % to all dmg PB benefits from all of the % not just 1 or 2. And because you put points into all the brands when 3 brands proc at the same time and you have % to all dmg its huge bursts!!! you play fire? You proc a fire brand cool you just did 1 burst, you cast PB and 1,2,3 brands proc it's even larger bursts and for 5 missiles to NOT proc a brand is extremely rare if not IMPOSSIBLE.
  • VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    PB numbers don't lie. % dmg to all doesn't lie. PB shoots 5 bolts each 1 is guaranteed to do 1 of 4 elemental dmg

Actually, each bolt deals all 4 types of damage.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg
  • SkladzienSkladzien Posts: 419
    Ooh i've got a Deja Vu.

If it's too good then don't use it. There is a plenty of builds NOT INVOLVING PB in them. What's the problem then?
    steamaw.php?id=skladzien&pngimg=shiny_rounded_long&achieve=TorchlightII&tborder=2
  • Haha the title of the opening post was tongue in cheek, since everybody keeps saying it.

I was interested in quantifying exactly how good it really is.

Fibonacci
  • NauzhrorNauzhror Posts: 1,090
    Haha the title of the opening post was tongue in cheek, since everybody keeps saying it.

I was interested in quantifying exactly how good it really is.

Fibonacci

Here's some examples:

Artificer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi7tsLSwdFk
    Regent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=242HYXMGFGU
    Chillhoof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJeVDoRT8XM
    Luminous Arena: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOk10WGtOYw

All on **** elite on a character I never rerolled with. Not sure of the time played, but everything was cleared "once" so there was no excessive farming involved.
    Wq022Hq.png
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
  • Thanks for that.

Very impressive indeed.

Fib