So what is so good about Prismatic Bolt?

ScyrisScyris Posts: 21
edited April 2013 in Embermage Discussions
So I keep seeing people saying how good prismatic bolt is, however I have it on my lower lv embermage in elite, and it does like no damage to anything, the starter spell I started with does way more damage, is it a late bloomer? Because at my mages low level I am finding the Prismatic bolt to be a total waste of mana. Currently have 1 magma spear. 1 prismatic bolt, 1 fire, ice, lightning brand. What should I do?

I also find it stupid how the mages weapon doesn't really effect many of its spells, you think it'd add damage to all spells but it doesn't.

Comments

• SkladzienSkladzien Posts: 419
    Prismatic Bolt + Ice Brand + Fire Brand + Ligthnink Brand + Elemental Boon and You overwhelm Elite NG+5 bosses in 15 seconds?
    On higher level Your mana regenrates very fast, also charge mastery helps you to have charge up for 75% of time fighting, and elemental brands dmg increase with lvls. Also o PB build You can go 100% Focus to increase elemental dmg to heavenly levels. And about weapons, no they don't increase dmg of most skills and that is great because instead of enchanting them with +dmg or socketing them with such, You can use Shield+Wand (for better survivability shield is always welcome) and enchant them with +%CR or +%CD.
    steamaw.php?id=skladzien&pngimg=shiny_rounded_long&achieve=TorchlightII&tborder=2
  • ScyrisScyris Posts: 21
    I guess it just **** at the start then. I'll use the magma spear for now till later on I guess.
  • Haha Scyris, it appears that we have reached the same conclusion. Great minds think alike.

(I know I've already said this but...)

I put a lot of weight on my early level performance, while stat points are relatively sparse. This is the transient period of each character's life where they have their true identity as "a PB mage" as distinct from a "frost mage" (or a "cannon engineer" as distinct from a "melee engineer"). At later phases of the game ALL BUILDS ARE [almost] THE SAME. In my experience (and I am happy to be corrected) a true "PB mage" is not particularly exciting at this phase of the game. On the other hand, in the late game, EVERY mage can be a PB mage for the low-low investment of one stat point.

To say that "PB mage is powerful at level 25" doesn't carry very much meaning.

Fibonacci
  • PB can apply 4 effects, 3/4 of those can be skilled up to apply a brand on an enemy. Effects can be reapplied to the same target. If you have a point in each brand, say for example each brand does 500 damage. You have the shock,burn,Ice effect applied to the target each bolt does 50 damagex5 250 dmg + 500+500+500 EVERY SINGLE PB now remember there are 5 bolts( I could be wrong but I do not believe there is a cooldown on brands) OP right? wrong? Extremely OP.
  • SkladzienSkladzien Posts: 419
    PB can apply 4 effects, 3/4 of those can be skilled up to apply a brand on an enemy. Effects can be reapplied to the same target. If you have a point in each brand, say for example each brand does 500 damage. You have the shock,burn,Ice effect applied to the target each bolt does 50 damagex5 250 dmg + 500+500+500 EVERY SINGLE PB now remember there are 5 bolts( I could be wrong but I do not believe there is a cooldown on brands) OP right? wrong? Extremely OP.
    remember that brands dmg is also affected by FOC stat (which is not stated in their descryption) so with let's say 200 Foc (+100% elemental dmg) it would be not 500 each brand but 1000 each brand. Now imagine having 1100 foc (from enchantments), also +50% elemental dmg from some equipment and you have dmg that blows mind off!
    steamaw.php?id=skladzien&pngimg=shiny_rounded_long&achieve=TorchlightII&tborder=2
  • NauzhrorNauzhror Posts: 1,090
    Prismatic Bolt has always been a staple for me even at low levels, never found it to be underwhelming even at low levels.

On **** elite at level 22 I murdered the regent in 2 minutes and 5 seconds with prismatic bolt. And that was untwinked, using only the gear the character found themselves, and without rerolling.
    Wq022Hq.png
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
  • VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    PB can apply 4 effects, 3/4 of those can be skilled up to apply a brand on an enemy. Effects can be reapplied to the same target. If you have a point in each brand, say for example each brand does 500 damage. You have the shock,burn,Ice effect applied to the target each bolt does 50 damagex5 250 dmg + 500+500+500 EVERY SINGLE PB now remember there are 5 bolts( I could be wrong but I do not believe there is a cooldown on brands) OP right? wrong? Extremely OP.

Just remember that Brands are triggered once a second only, so you have the Brands damage once every 2-3 castings of PB (if you have increased casting speed). It's still good damage but just wanted to clarify.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg