Fire Mage. Viable on Elite?

SkladzienSkladzien Posts: 419
edited April 2013 in Embermage Discussions
I am planning to make a fire mage. Something like that [LINK DELETED]. But would that be viable on Elite?

P.S> I do not want to mix fire with other skill tabs ( was playing frostmage and Pb already and they were too easy). I too staff mastery from Ice Tab because lowering defense seems to be really helpful (especially it is % lowering instead of points lowering), i was also wondering if putting few more points into vit and use a shield+wand instead of staff (i was aiming for dragonspike as it has 100% for burn effect) would be better.
steamaw.php?id=skladzien&pngimg=shiny_rounded_long&achieve=TorchlightII&tborder=2

Comments

• toast7toast7 Posts: 2
    It can get pretty rough, but I've been leveling an elite fire mage. I've been running this [LINK DELETED] build. Basically: Keep Immolation Aura up, keep Firestorm's effect active on enemies, keep Blazing Pillar on cooldown and spam Infernal Collapse. Magma Mace is used for the stun if fast enemies get close to you. Points in Magma Spear can go into Magma Mace (the AS slow is nice) or Firebombs (my preference, ranged slow is a bit better) and Astral Ally is a **** send if you're soloing. Also know that you don't (IMHO) need to go 15/15 Charge Mastery if you're using this build, Infernal Collapse+Pillars build charge very efficiently.

Alternatively, you can use Spear as your spam but you're much more reliant on getting +% chance to burn from gear and you're standing and channeling as opposed to casting Collapse and having a second to run.

Only major changes I would make to your build is to pick up points in Prismatic rift and ABSOLUTELY get Frostphase. I know you don't want many skills from other trees, but the mobility it provides is too vital for elite.
  • gee...I thought the DoT (which ignores armor) would mean that Fire Mages would be even MORE effective in elite...
  • NauzhrorNauzhror Posts: 1,090
    I would use a shield, for sure. I would not put points into vitality though to be honest, I'd rely on Borris for the vitality needed to max block.

I'd still carry a staff, but I'd use it on the secondary setup and use w to switch to it to hit enemies for staff mastery and then then switch back to the wand/shield setup after.
    Wq022Hq.png
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
  • VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    gee...I thought the DoT (which ignores armor) would mean that Fire Mages would be even MORE effective in elite...

Only the Burning status effect ignores armour, the normal fire DOT doesn't. And the Burning doesn't stack, also I'm not sure how much damage does it do.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg
  • MorwysMorwys Posts: 60
    Nauzhror wrote:
    I would use a shield, for sure. I would not put points into vitality though to be honest, I'd rely on Borris for the vitality needed to max block.
    I agree with this. I've been using a wand+shield and a staff as secondary - I hardly use it, tough - and there's a big difference in survivability.
    Steam Profile: PDR1987
    Embermage Guides
    Defitinive Embermage (Elite)