For what stats should I go if I wanted max DPS?

Gogo6Gogo6 Posts: 5
edited April 2013 in Embermage Discussions
In the case I decided to play full DPS, no vit, 1 hit and you die. What stats should I get? All Focus? All Dex? Go with focus until certain number and then change to DEX?

Im not looking for viability, just for the max DPS possible.

Thanks.

Comments

• NauzhrorNauzhror Posts: 1,090
    That depends what skill you intended to use, a skill based off weapon dps, or a skill that had its base damage determined solely by the # of ranks in it, and your level, but unrelated to dps.

Strength boosts the damage of the weapon dps skills more than focus does due to raising their standard damage and increasing your crit damage, whereas focus only does the former (though more focus = more mana as well which would help unless you planned to constantly be chugging mana potions). For skills not based on weapon dps though strength is much less beneficial than focus.
    Wq022Hq.png
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
  • Gogo6Gogo6 Posts: 5
    Thanks for the asnwer.

The question points to end game.
    And about what type of build, if skill or auto atk based, well, wathever is the build to get the most dps possible.

Viability dosnt matter, dodge chance dosnt matter, only dps.
  • NauzhrorNauzhror Posts: 1,090
    Focus + Prismatic Bolt + Brands = highest damage
    Wq022Hq.png
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
    Thanks.

More quesitons :P

Dual wand out dps 2h staff?
    So far the skills are Prismatic Bolt, Lighting, fire and Ice Brand + Charge Masterie + wand/staff mastery + Frost Phase lvl 1. Is there any other skill to consider?
  • VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    You don't need either Wand Chaos or Staff Mastery - they would only apply if you attack with the weapons or if you use one of the skills that can also convey the effect - PB isn't one of them. And you won't be attacking anybody with a normal attack, either, since you have PB. You can certainly go with a wand for the first 10 levels or so (you'd want to attack at range), while mana is low but after that it doesn't really matter. In fact, you might find a better sword or axe or something that is more useful than a wand - you'll only need the weapon for the extra effects.

But other stuff you might want:
    - Frozen Fate - at least 1 point is mandatory put more only if you run out of skills to level.
    - Hailstorm or Infernal Collapse - they are both good AOE skills and make dealing with large amounts of small enemies easier. HS has stun and freeze chance, so it's more of a crowd control, while IC has higher damage and knockback but requires a higher level. Either of these would be OK.
    - Ice Pillars - makes for good defensive and battlefield control - either trap enemies there or yourself while you buff/heal yourself. 1 point is enough, but at 5 the pillars deal damage when they shatter - when the time expires, they all shatter and anything that is inside would be hit for massive damage. I think that's actually the highest damage thing in the game. Getting max IP would allow you to spam the pillars and this would also mean that you can explode them pretty much when you like (since when you cast the skill again, the old pillars shatter)
    - Immolation Aura - only get it for the damage reduction - the damage isn't interesting.
    - Thunder Locus and/or Blazing Pillars - both are fire and forget skills and are OK to just cast and continue spamming PB. They are allright to take but not mandatory. I really like TL, though - you can position it somewhere like an entrance so it takes care of enemies coming from that direction. Alternatively, you can kite a boss around the TL until the boss dies.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg
  • For maximum DPS, dual wield any kind of weapons that give bonus to damage, cast speed, etc.

Hailstorm is very good not only for CC but also for DPS since it decreases enemy resistances.
    Just noticed the skill Elemental Boom, I will have to add that.
  • VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    Gogo6 wrote:
    Just noticed the skill Elemental Boom, I will have to add that.

I deliberately didn't include it for the simple fact that it doesn't really do much. It is, in fact, one of the more useless skills an Embermage has. First and foremost, it lasts for 15 seconds but has 30 seconds cooldown. So whatever advantages it conveys, you have them on only half the time you play and the downtime is annoying. But looking past that, the advantages themselves are not that good:
    - the increased elemental damage is addative, not multiplicative - this means you add it to the rest of your damage bonuses. While 20% more damage seems impressive, you'd probably have something like +200% already (focus, and other bonuses) which, when adding EB, turns into 220% which is not that great in the long run. You'll continue increasing the bonus damage but EB doesn't really grow as much - you can easily get +10% damage from a piece of equipment, while it requires 5 skill points to do the same with EB.
    - the defensive bonuses could be nice, however, again - you don't have them all the time and defence is better done through equipment. And if you do invest in equipment to boost damage reduction, EB does turn useless, since the DR cap is 75% - going over doesn't give you anything so any points you have in EB that would normally give you more DR are wasted. And the DR from equipment would grow, making EB more and more wasted skill points.
    - the immobilisation/slow resistance might be the best thing the skill has to offer, however, neither are really that common, and neither is really that hard to counter - Frost Phase can get you away of any situation that risks inflicting those effects on you.
    - the mana regeneration is a joke - with max EB and character level 100, you'd regenerate 20 mana over 10 seconds. Which doesn't even cover the casting cost of 28 mana which is reduced due to the final per
    - and the final perk is less mana - I already mentioned it's 28 - by the time you can afford max EB, you won't really mind that 28 mana - your the mana regeneration per second would probably be more than that. As for the faster cast rate - it's only applies to EB itself - so you'd have to wait for over 90 levels, to make EB faster to cast. Also, it's even faster to not cast it, as the benefits don't even outweigh the casting time.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg