EA Named Worst Company in USA... Again.

MrHandbasketMrHandbasket Posts: 461
edited April 2013 in Off-Topic Discussions
Yes, "Again".
For the second year in a row, readers of the consumer-watchdog website The Consumerist have named Electronic Arts "the worst company in America," vilifying the video game publisher more than Bank of America, Comcast and Ticketmaster (which took second, third and fourth places, respectively).

The results of the poll are hardly surprising -- even EA predicted it would repeat the dubious honor -- but they were certainly conclusive.

EA faced stiff competition en route to the championship round, besting fellow disliked companies Anheuser-Busch, Facebook and AT&T before squaring off against Bank of America in the final round of voting. BofA proved no match, however, as EA captured a decisive 78 percent of the vote to take home the not-so-coveted "Golden Poo" award. It’s the second straight "win" for EA and the second straight runner-up nod for Bank of America.

More at link.

I'm thinking that Realm of Impossibility, Racing Destruction Set, and Archon II: Adept were EA's last good games.

DRM sucked, admittedly, even then, 20 years before anyone came up with that boardroom acronym. Alas. I had to download the Archon II Novaload crack from some Seattle BBS at 1200 baud. My parents were quite forgiving regarding the telephone bill.

Now it's 2013. And wow. You couldn't pay me to play most EA games. And I haven't illegally downloaded games since my teen years in the 80's -- although those were some fun times.

Shoeboxes, many of them, all full of 5 1/4" floppies. All packed with goodies. And back then, EA was the bees knees. Adventure Construction Set, Skate or Die!, and many more.

It was EA, Activision, Origin, Broderbund and Epyx making the very best games. Oh, and Infocom, of course.

EA is now a shambling, lurching, stumbling, ever-hungry behemoth. Just like Activision.

I hope Runic is never "bought out" by one of these creativity-killers.

What's the Worst Company In America? I'll go with Microsoft, followed closely by Apple. Google and Facebook tie for third.

Comments

• And why Microsoft, when I use their premier product, Windows?

THIS:

Why can't I have an EQ on my XBox 360?

Why no midi apps? No pianos. No drum machines. No DAWs. It's got USB, for some unknown reason. And a three-core CPU. It's three times more powerful than my PC.

But no EQ for you. No midi apps for you. No good things.

No alternate music players. No video players. And no gosh darned EQ. Despite it being three times as powerful as my PC.

Why no WInAmp on XBOX? Why no Ableton on XBOX? Why no FL Studio on XBOX? Why no allowance of app and hardware freedom at all?

I wish the folks that make Roomba could do a leveraged buyout of the XBox 360. Let us do with it what the heck we want to do with it.

The XBox is capable, and MS throttles devs.
  • gold163gold163 Posts: 4,852
    Really? The worst companies in America to you are all tech giants, and not insurance companies or oil companies or anything like that? Microsoft and Apple I can understand to an extent, because of the company practices, Apple especially for human rights concerns and MS because of their industry-dominating double standards. Google and Facebook face a number of privacy concerns. But you shouldn't just hate companies because they're big. I can think of a few reasons to dislike each of those companies that mostly pale in comparison to the unsavory practices in just about every other industry. And if we are to criticize these companies in the same basis that we criticize EA -- that is, poor products and blatant disregard for the consumer -- I fail to see how Apple and Google would make the list. Unless you're just throwing out names to be angsty , in which case you can keep those rose-tinted glasses on.

Whoever thinks a comparison between old EA and modern EA is warranted is delusional and missing the point. EA is a bad company because they're a bad company, not because they're a different one than what they used to be.

And seriously? Microsoft is worse than big oil because they don't allow an open application ecosystem on their proprietary entertainment hardware? Give me a **** break.

If the seven and a half year old hardware of the xbox 360, which was dated at launch, is three times more powerful than your pc, then it's time to freaking upgrade. And for the love of **** and all that is holy you had better not be implying that three times as many cores means "three times as powerful".
    cxNEL.png
  • ^
    Not saying that insurance and oil companies (and good lord, the automotive industry) are not horrible and not demanding of criticism, but the poll is from the Consumerist and is targeted at consumer companies. Personally, I use Bank of America and I like them more than my previous two banks (Suntrust and a state credit union). If I had to pick, right now, of all the consumer companies I personally have experience dealing with, I'd say yeah, EA takes the cake, followed up the **** by Actiblizz. Microsoft is still decent in my perspective, despite them dropping support for XP now, and Apple was for fools to begin with.

But that says something good about the state of our society, when a video game company is the most disliked consumer institution in America. Or maybe it says our priorities aren't in order.

Regardless, I **** hate EA and everything they've done in the past 15 years. I've played all of Bioware's games (reluctantly), Alice 2, Mirror's Edge -- games with great promise that fell flat on their **** face thanks to being shoved out the door. Let's not forget how the Ultima series ended (and how it's being brought back... ugh).
    背景音楽主義
    !jrpg
  • NeophytoiNeophytoi Posts: 3,539
    gold163 wrote:
    Really? The worst companies in America to you are all tech giants, and not insurance companies or oil companies or anything like that?

*and then Gold hit his stride, continuing a terrific rebuttal*

Really, Gold, the quality of your recent posts has been exceptional. Kudos!

- A laughably anonymous poster :lol:
    never let your hatred of people who would bar you from the Inviolable House of Worship lead you into the sin of aggression: but rather help one another in furthering virtue and ****-consciousness, and do not help one another in furthering evil and enmity
  • GraeystoneGraeystone Posts: 1,545
    "When you are the worst at what you do then find something else to do to be the best at."

EA tries to the best worst business possible. . .

tekkamansoul - I'd bet American McGee has a few choice words about EA and Alice 2.
    But that says something good about the state of our society, when a video game company is the most disliked consumer institution in America. Or maybe it says our priorities aren't in order.

Well now I feel stupid, because I completely ignored the fact that this was about consumer institutions. Bleh.

EA most definitely deserves this award, I feel. But do Microsoft, Google, Facebook, and Apple deserve to be called worse than Comcast, AT&T, and Time Warner? Well maybe, but it would have to be for better reasons than, "I can't install Winamp on my Xbox." And well, anybody who's been a customer of Time Warner would probably agree that they're worse than all four of those companies.

I do think the saddest part about this is that EA apparently has no intentions to change. They kind of pulled a Blizzard with this, and their former CEO has a generous golden parachute, which probably isn't going to encourage any kind of reform in the company.

http://consumerist.com/2013/04/05/ea-ad ... dden-fans/
    cxNEL.png
  • I've used Time Warner, Charter, Knology and now Comcast - Time Warner is pretty bad, Charter is even worse, but Knology is by far the worst ISP I've ever dealt with. I switched after just one month and started using AT&T DSL for 10 bucks a month, and it was infinitely better. Charter and Knology are close to last in the entire nation for customer support rankings. Comcast has been a dream :)
    背景音楽主義
    !jrpg
  • CamerooCameroo Posts: 239
    gold163 wrote:
    Really? The worst companies in America to you are all tech giants, and not insurance companies or oil companies or anything like that? Microsoft and Apple I can understand to an extent, because of the company practices, Apple especially for human rights concerns and MS because of their industry-dominating double standards. Google and Facebook face a number of privacy concerns. But you shouldn't just hate companies because they're big. I can think of a few reasons to dislike each of those companies that mostly pale in comparison to the unsavory practices in just about every other industry. And if we are to criticize these companies in the same basis that we criticize EA -- that is, poor products and blatant disregard for the consumer -- I fail to see how Apple and Google would make the list. Unless you're just throwing out names to be angsty , in which case you can keep those rose-tinted glasses on.

Anyone who voted for an entertainment industry company because of an inflated sense of entitlement over one that has been responsible for things like economic collapse or oil spills really needs to get their priorities straight.
    "Space is invisible mind dust and stars are but wishes!"
    Cameroo wrote:
    Anyone who voted for an entertainment industry company because of an inflated sense of entitlement over one that has been responsible for things like economic collapse or oil spills really needs to get their priorities straight.

Well to be perfectly fair, and as was pointed out, the companies in this survey were consumer institutions, so I really should take that back. I still don't agree that the tech companies are worse than the ones that were chosen to be on the top.
    cxNEL.png
  • but why can't I have an EQ made by a third party on my XBox?

I've got a dozen media players and audio applications on my crappy P4 3.2 GHz XP machine (yeah, it's time for an upgrade, I know.)

Every one of these has an EQ. I have more than TWELVE EQUALIZERS on my PC. The XBox 360 is more powerful by FAR than my PC.

But MS throttles it. Of course, for"stability" and "security". So No EQ For You.

And no Midi. And no UI changes. And no jack squat that MS doesn't want you to have. Despite that you own the box, and can hold it in your hands.
  • DrasielDrasiel Posts: 212
    If only winning that 'award' would cause them to change their practices. Oh well I'll continue not buying anymore of their products.

Off topic:
    I've got a dozen media players and audio applications on my crappy P4 3.2 GHz XP machine (yeah, it's time for an upgrade, I know.)
    Please tell me you at least have a 1 gig AGP vid card and a sata 2 expansion card in there.
    Master Chairs: 100%. Master Shufflin' about: 50%. Master The Universe by the Power of Grayskull: 10%.
  • TenTen Posts: 395
    Worst video games company, yeah, arguably they might well be.

Worst company? No. Not even close. Not by a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long way.
    ___ten2.png___
  • breadfanbreadfan Posts: 562 ✭✭
    I guess that PR with a negative value - still a PR.
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭
    breadfan wrote:
    I guess that PR with a negative value - still a PR.

Along the lines any press is good press.

I can see them use the slogan. Come see for yourself why we are the worst company in two years as we go for a third.
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • Drasiel

I've got the (from what I know) second-best available video card for my AGP8x slot, the Sapphire ATI Radeon 4650HD, 1g DDR2.

The only one better was the 4670.

But yeah, it's still a piece of junk at this point. Runs T2 just fine, slows down a bit with Synergies sometimes. I tweak it with ATI Tray Tools.

The last good, modded game my PC could run was Fallout 3 (and Oblivion). Hellgate, no problem.

I have no idea what a SATA 2 thingamabob is.

I do know that when I get a new PC this summer, my ASUS Xonar Essence ST is coming out of this box, and into the new. One bada## sound card.
  • DrasielDrasiel Posts: 212
    MrHandbasket
    Heh. Awesome, although I've learned to stay far, far away from sapphire vid cards.

Most (If not all, not really sure at this point anymore) of the p4 motherboards only came with sata 1 harddrive connections but you could add a sata 2 expansion card into them to get the full transfer rate out of sata 2 harddrives.

P4's were an awesome generation, sadly it's less the video card speed that kills them for nowadays use but the front side bus on the motherboard. (1 meg cache for the wiiiiiiin)

I haven't had an non-onboard soundcard since my old soundblaster 16 card :P I envy you yours.
    D2Hans wrote:
    I can see them use the slogan. Come see for yourself why we are the worst company in two years as we go for a third.
    :lol: "We'd also like to announce our new flagship title : DRM 2014. The Challenge is in connecting to our servers!"
    Master Chairs: 100%. Master Shufflin' about: 50%. Master The Universe by the Power of Grayskull: 10%.
  • Jacky58Jacky58 Posts: 1
    edited September 15

Roomba is the first robotic vacuum cleaner or is there any one too.

• joebruce313joebruce313 Posts: 1

looking for ilife v5s pro reviews

• PlumpkinPlumpkin Posts: 2

Their forums mods should be named worst as well.