Some problems with making levels

GZombieGZombie Posts: 31
edited June 2013 in Levels
Hey guys

Very new modder to the TL scene, but I have about 15 years of modding experience with various other engines and so on.

Today I spent about 8 hours with the editor for the first time and I think it's pretty cool and I can forsee some cool content coming out of it.

My problems are so far is struggling with the documentation, it doesn't really tell you much in regards to build levels, I mean it touches on some info but leave blank a lot of other stuff.

So after lots of youtube, googling and looking at older TorchED tutorials I was able to Make some rules, make a random dungeon using existing chunks, make a new item, add it to a merchant and add that merchant to the map works room.

My problems started when making my own dungeons from scratch. First I noticed that if I used a certain tile set (I think the forest one) it didn't render in the editor when I switched to game mode, so I stuck with the catacomb set. No idea why this is.
I managed to build 3 chunks, and get them in to a custom layout (which isn't too much work once you get your head around how levels are structured). But when I built my mod and used "dungeon chunktest" I spawned in my dungeon with no floor and I couldn't run any where. This same floor worked when I tried it in game mode in the editor, so I figured it worked.

Is there a difference between an outdoor map and a dungeon? Why would my floor be missing in game? And why doesn't the forest tile set floor pieces render?

I also noticed tonight a few times that unless I manually copied and pasted my mod in to mygames folder my mod content wasn't working properly, which was quite frustrating.

If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it, as I really want to make some cool new dungeons for people to play :)

Cheers

Zombie

Comments

• It's difficult to diagnose on the forum, but did you make sure to create a layout within the dungeon ruleset editor using your new chunks? Did you make sure it has an entrance and exit chunk? Did you make sure to lay out your tileset pieces within the chunk palette's borders? Are all of your folders and subfolders named and placed correctly?

Post some screenshots of your layout, dungeon and ruleset definitions. (Also, hardly anyone reads this forum!)
    背景音楽主義
    !jrpg
  • GZombieGZombie Posts: 31
    I'll have to go find some more info about how chunks work, and what's needed in them.

I don't have an entrance or exit chunk, I just used some corner and straight chunks. What does the template do other than offer a template of where connections are? Is it simply just that, or do they do more?

Here are the images of my setup:

http://www.plagueandpestilence.com/shot ... ktypes.jpg
    http://www.plagueandpestilence.com/shot ... layout.jpg
    http://www.plagueandpestilence.com/shot ... _rules.jpg

And this is my folder setup. I think that's OK.
    http://www.plagueandpestilence.com/shot ... folder.JPG

Although this morning I noticed that in the game folder itself it created a folder MEDIA/LAYOUTS/MyFirstDungeon/MYFIRSTDUNGEON.LAYOUT.BINLAYOUT but I didn't put that there. I thought everything went in the mod folder?

I am going to start from the beginning this morning, I might've messed up my mod from the start when I didn't know what I was doing :D
    I got it to work. I realised now that because I didn't have a starting chunk (and I learned it makes no difference what you call them) I had no floor to stand on at the origin. So I added floor to that area and it all works just fine. Forest tiles also work now because I know what I did wrong.

The only problem I am still having is that sometimes my level doesn't spawn via the Dungeon command.
  • Good that you figured it out.
    I haven't been working with level chunks yet, but now that I realize how much work it will be to just use "one piece" area's, not to mention the strain they will probably put on my PC, I fear I might have to use levelchunks for outdoor areas after all.
    A few other things I learned:

- When porting to your Town for the first time via Portal it's good to put a player spawn(which is just a property node renamed)
    - It seems the warper is the maker for the player spawning when he arrives in that dungeon if you triggered it (could be wrong though, but after testing it seemed that way)
    - It doesn't matter what you call your chunks, just make sure you name them so you remember what they are. It's important though that you define them correctly in the chunks tool.

Maybe I should do a bare bones make a town, outside area, with a dungeon tutorial. Although that would come later when I fully understand all the features the tools have to offer.
  • wizaerdwizaerd Posts: 39
    GZombie wrote:
    A few other things I learned:

- When porting to your Town for the first time via Portal it's good to put a player spawn(which is just a property node renamed)
    - It seems the warper is the maker for the player spawning when he arrives in that dungeon if you triggered it (could be wrong though, but after testing it seemed that way)
    - It doesn't matter what you call your chunks, just make sure you name them so you remember what they are. It's important though that you define them correctly in the chunks tool.

Maybe I should do a bare bones make a town, outside area, with a dungeon tutorial. Although that would come later when I fully understand all the features the tools have to offer.

I, for one, would welcome a full A to Z Level Creation tutorial. I've seen what's on YouTube thus far, but there really is no complete new dungeon or level tutorial that takes you through everything required to make a completely new dungeon, and how to get it into the game. I remember this also being an issued with TorchED for Torchlight I, and also remember reading postings here from Runic and some of the more advanced modders that this wouldn't be an issue with the new modding tools for Torchlight II. It was allegedly going to be fully documented and tutorials out the whazoo... Still watiing though...