[Dungeon] Aegis Crypt

gorogorosamagorogorosama Posts: 254
edited July 2013 in Levels
Aegis Maps II - vol 1. Let me know what you think. :)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=159348850
http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/vbdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=495

Adds a new dungeon, Aegis Crypt, accessible via the Mapworks.

Aegis Crypt is a simple 2-floor dungeon, with some unique monsters, traps, puzzles, and a new boss at the end. The Crypt includes 4 unique chunks which may also appear in other dungeons.

My goal was to create something that could integrate seamlessly with the vanilla game.

637x358.resizedimage
637x358.resizedimage

--- Notes ---
You'll need to reach the Mapworks before accessing AegisCrypt. There are other mods available that help you skip straight to the Mapworks.
The dungeon scales to your level from 10-105.

--- Old stuff from WIP ---

Well, finally got GUTS and finally getting back into this in my spare time (bah!)

Starting with a simple Catacomb Dungeon. Trying to imitate everything from the official game so they can blend in. Have more or less finished 3 chunks:

yLqdRbr.jpg?1
iw3CMJT.jpg?1
gMw5wWh.jpg?1

I've run into a couple issues. If anyone is able to help with, would be greatly appreciated.
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=54943#p462439
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=54942

Much more planned, all in good time.

Comments

• BrianBBrianB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking good! It's nice to see people starting to show off new levels.
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭
    Although I barely played Aegis, I always admired the workmenship of those maps. Can't wait for these.
  • gorogorosamagorogorosama Posts: 254
    Good evening all and thank you for the support! Sorry for the long delay; went and got married, which apparently leaves little time for Torchlight :P

But now I'm back and up against a new problem: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=56323

With any luck I'll have a small little map out by the end of the month.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭
    This so makes me wish it was possible to make a Dungeon Keeper mod :/
    ItfooQF.png
    You know, that's a great idea and I bet it is totally possible, as all the pieces are there. It would definitely take some serious coding though; GUTS is like a Torchlight Editor, but not a Torchlight-Editor Editor
    So now my question has become, is there a way to test a whole dungeon (as opposed to a single chunk) inside of GUTS? Or what is the best way to test such a thing?

Back in the day of TL1 we had a single hub city, the wonderful Gaspar map vendor, and I just cranked through "test characters". Is that still the best way to go? Add a map and go via the mapworks? Can I playtest my own mod before publishing it on steam?

Thanks again!
    You can build your mod and not publish to steam by unchecking all the steam options
    Closer and closer. Got my chunks, my dungeon, new monsters, etc. Just one major problem left.

You know how when you reach the stairs down, they usually say "Stairs Down" unless the next floor is a boss, in which case they will say "General Grell" or whoever?

My question is where is it pulling that information from? As far as I can tell there is no dungeon or ruleset called "General Grell", it seems to be called "Water Guardian Palace", so where does the text "General Grell" come from?

I ask this, because the stairs down to the boss room say "Fallen Guardian", even though that is not the case. Also, game crashes once you go down the stairs. I'm hoping the two are related.

Cheers
  • WaybackWayback Posts: 100
    It is tied in to the layout that is used by the entries and exits. Under levelsets, then props there will be layout files called Enry_node and Exit_Node (I think, something close to that). These control the naming and icon of the unit trigger (the stairs down) and the actual warper itself that determines the destination and in the case of dungeons, which level in the strata it goes to (-1 for up a floor, 1 for down a floor). In this case, "General Grell" is coming from the unit trigger.

Under Level Rulesets, the Theme (like Catacombs_Theme and so on) for the level tends to determine which entry/exit it chooses and I think what quest the player is on can play a part in that as well. For some of the new entry/exit chunks I am making that will be used solely as part of an Endless Dungeon, I simply made my own basic entry and exit nodes that act only as a stairs up and stairs down respectively. I did that by putting the 4 parts (particle, trigger, warper, and logic group) of a basic node into its own group, deleting all the other Theme based groups, and saving it as its own new layout. I then place it manually in the level rather than using a prebuilt entry or exit prop-layout piece that has the physical stairs and the transition layout integrated together.
    Thanks Wayback! Finding where to look was definitely the biggest hurdle.

I found that by adding the maproom theme to my level-rules it makes the stairs behave properly as well. Hopefully that's useful for someone :P
    http://gyazo.com/16d3b54f2bf208e4fd94e9e5091c4e3f

I went ahead and reworked the boss since Monsters are still not taking inputs (viewtopic.php?f=57&t=56323). But now everything is ready and just needs a little testing! My first mod coming soon!
    I did that Boss Monster as a tutorial for TorchED which didn't have Logic Gates, I simply used a counter with 3 unit triggers adding to it and when triggered monster is vulnerable.
    I never thought to consider that the invulnerability may work, and it's the Logic Gate - Monster combination that is failing. Will give it a try in Guts.

Otherwise the Torches will prevent the spawning of bats that the Boss eats to regain health :P
    Another day, another difficulty.
    Eating the bats to earn health seems to either restore full health, or none at all:
    viewtopic.php?f=57&t=56596

I did test hooking the boss's invulnerability to a counter though, instead of logic gate. Still no go. Maybe it worked it TorchED, but somewhere along the line we lost it.
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Hey congratulations on getting married Goro!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
    Thanks Phanjam!

Okay, map is ready. Head to the top of the thread for the link. Thanks everyone for your help!
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Aaaand congrats as well on the release of your level! The pics look delicious!

Will subscribe to this from my home PC (am at work right now)
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • FOEFOE Posts: 223
    Hello gorogorosama!

I love your Aegis Maps for TL1 and have wait on your map for TL2 ... but ... PLEASE make also a download-link for none-steam-user!!!
    Servus, Erwin
    --
    Intel DP35DP, Intel QuadCore Q6600, 4096 MB DDR2, GeForce GTX260/216, FujSie L22W-8, Win7 Pro x64
    --
    » My Torchlight 1 Char's @ German Fansite Torchlight Source
    Very glad you enjoy!

Yes of course, silly of me to forget. Thanks to runicgamesfansite for the hosting!
    http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/vbdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=495
    Very fine! :D
    Servus, Erwin
    --
    Intel DP35DP, Intel QuadCore Q6600, 4096 MB DDR2, GeForce GTX260/216, FujSie L22W-8, Win7 Pro x64
    --
    Hello gorogorosama!

So ... it's a very nice map, but ... to short! :roll: ;)

Level 1 is ok and the traps and puzzles are good.

Level 2, with the boss is unfortunately to short ... but still had good success.

I hope, this was the start for more maps!? ;)
    Servus, Erwin
    --
    --