Welcome to HCE Solo - You're gonna die. Tips for newbs.

OathbreakerOathbreaker Posts: 96
edited August 2013 in TL2 Hardcore Mode
1. Decide if you really want to lengthen the game with a lot of frustration. You can also decide to even further lengthen the game and slowing down progression by setting other limits like "self-found items only" or "no muling" or "no rerolling maps". But then you often run into unpleasant problems, such as having a new character that really could have used that class-specific unique set item you found previously.

2. Get a stash/inventory mod. Else you will have very serious problems deciding what to keep for other characters that will take over when your current one inevitably dies. Or you'll have to do a lot of tedious logging in/out of characters just to mule. Search Steam for a TL2 inventory mod and take your pick, or look in the mod forum here.

3. If you can use a shield, you probably want to.

4. Vitality isn't much use for raising hp, but does help with Block percentage.

5. Learn to love the Grell/Regent run. You don't even need to reroll the world for it. Just plonk down a town portal right outside the entrance to the Wellspring Temple in Temple Steppes, kill Grell, go to town, port to Frosted Hills, kill Regent, back to town, port to Temple Steppes and since the game only saves the state of mobs in so many dungeons, the mobs in Wellspring Temple will have reset. Damage Reduction gems, lowbie uniques and resist-all gems await.

6. You are as yet unable to quickly exit out of some quest-reward dialogues. This is rather infuriating if your pet has pulled mobs in the meantime. Or you could keep pet on defensive. Or get really fast at selecting rewards.

7. Always try to stay a level or two above the recommended level for an area, at a minimum. Exceptions are early on if you really know what you're doing and have the gear to overpower stuff. A neat trick is to just farm certain areas and then reroll if you can kill quicker/more safely in that area. Examples are farming fish and little Ratkin in Temple Steppes, or the Warbeasts area, or the Skeletons in Temple Steppes.

8. Consider rebinding the keys to Move and "Move/Attack" - you will die from accidentally clicking anywhere near a mob when you're trying to get away, instead of running away like you wanted. This creates another problem with certain builds that need to auto-attack at least early on. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I have my Move/Attack bound to "`" and Move bound to Left Mouse Button. Your potions should probably be rebound to someplace near your skills/fingers, like Q and W or E. Also consider not using the Tab-to-switch skills function, it's a bit clunky.

Any more tips I should have known about before I got into this? If someone has a better version of a post like this, it should get stickied imho. I'm still kind of new to this thing.

EDIT: PLACES TO WATCH OUT FOR:

Phase Breast challenges can be a great place to level and gear up and get gems and cash if you're high enough level that it's not a serious threat. But go into something you're not familiar with, at too high of a level, and you're dead meat.

Act 2 Djinn's challenge http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/Luminous_Arena - you either need tons of regen or you need to be able to fight quickly at close quarters - there's no running away and taking on the monsters piecemeal. You have to stay in the circle and if you can't handle fighting many monsters in a small area you're dead.
HCE Solo. Ex WoW movie maker. USN Deepsea. Canyoneer. Ironman. CrossFit Instructor.

Comments

• D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    Learn the monsters that you face. Some are really nasty and can kill you in one shot but most of them you can figure out their attack pattern to avoid getting killed.

Go slow and try not to rush into new areas. I always clear all the areas and use the previous areas as a means to run to and hopefully draw a few of the monsters to that cleared area so it becomes much easier to kill them.

Always look at the environment and try to use that environment to you advantage and also try not to get boxed in or cornered if you do that might be the last stand for that character.
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • AxonisAxonis Posts: 2
    Play HC in Normal. Surviving HC in anything higher is possible only at the cost of a more vibrant way of playing: you character will constantly have to use hit and run tactics, especially on bosses, to avoid fatal critical hits. Constant hit & run is not fun. And you can only replay Act I only a few times before it becomes seriously boring.
  • RustyRusty Posts: 1,640
    Health is your friend. If you can find equipment that gives you health, and has decent stats, use it until you find better stuff. Obviously skulls of Reichelu are prime, but those are more difficult to find. 3 pieces of blue equips with +350 health each means at least another hit you can survive.

Edit: If you can find really good health equip, like +500 or more, save up your money and then find a Borris to enchant with. I have one set of 7 high level blues that add 5000 health without putting things in sockets, and have +60 to Stats from Borris. Expensive, but this will definitely help. Also, check out the rare items vendor. I found a necklace there that gives me a "6% chance to cast Fully Heal Self on hit" from that vendor.
  • OathbreakerOathbreaker Posts: 96
    Axonis wrote:
    Play HC in Normal. Surviving HC in anything higher is possible only at the cost of a more vibrant way of playing: you character will constantly have to use hit and run tactics, especially on bosses, to avoid fatal critical hits. Constant hit & run is not fun. And you can only replay Act I only a few times before it becomes seriously boring.

Don't listen to this guy if you want the game to last a long time and you enjoy researching and figuring out what strategies to use and when, where and how to develop your character's skills and equipment. No risk - no reward. Beating that boss with inches to spare and your heart in your throat is a good feeling. To get there you first have to die a few times, and have a few narrow escapes.

Get an inventory mod so you can save good early gear for the inevitable re-roll, just like in Diablo II HC SP. It basically comes down to PPPPPPP - **** poor prior preparation prevents proper performance. Get prepared. Do your workup. Make sure you really really really are ready for that boss. And know what you're doing. Don't take on a new boss without being way above the recommended level, esp. if like me you enjoy figuring out what a boss does without reading websites or watching videos.
    HCE Solo. Ex WoW movie maker. USN Deepsea. Canyoneer. Ironman. CrossFit Instructor.
  • gthawkingsgthawkings Posts: 13
    heya all, just so you know, find fondo the master, and have him enchant your lowest weapon, gun lv 9 works fine, and make it into a very powerful super gun.
    That is what I have done, but I don't know how to enchant any armor to be more powerful using fondo. any help would be nice.
    I am lv 41 and kill any and all monster on veteran mode that comes my way, but if they hit me, i am dead....
    so does anyone knows how to enchant armors????
    thanks
  • gthawkings wrote:
    heya all
    I am lv 41 and kill any and all monster on veteran mode that comes my way, but if they hit me, i am dead....
    so does anyone knows how to enchant armors????
    thanks

You enchant them the same way you did your weapon gt. The key things to look for on the armor enchants are health and stats.

On the OP:
    1) also get in The habit of putting anything in your bags into shared stash. If its in your bags it goes with you!

2) Pick builds that are defensive in nature. Ranged attacks, shield use, etc. Safety first.

And above all else, there are times when you simply don't want to play HC.
    .....when you are tired
    .....when you are distracted / busy
    .....when you are frustrated
    .....when you are pushing for that next waypoint and you refuse to give up for the night

Every time I have died in an HC game its because of one of the above. That's outside known bugs or issues of course.
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    snip

I think he did the super enchanting on the weapon with the augmentation enchanting affix.
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • NauzhrorNauzhror Posts: 1,090
    Axonis wrote:
    Play HC in Normal. Surviving HC in anything higher is possible only at the cost of a more vibrant way of playing: you character will constantly have to use hit and run tactics, especially on bosses, to avoid fatal critical hits. Constant hit & run is not fun.

Constant hit and run is absolutely - not - necessary.

I can quite easily start a new character and finish Act I in around 2 hours with no rerolling.

You just need a decent ranged build.
    Wq022Hq.png
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams