Particle attaches

PanzakatPanzakat Posts: 21
edited July 2013 in Art and Sound
Anyone tell me why my particle attach, the sabre blade, doesn't stay put while running, but bounces all over the show ?
Torchlight2+2013-07-04+15-55-19-51.pngTorchlight2+2013-07-04+15-55-21-54.pngTorchlight2+2013-07-04+15-55-24-77.png

Comments

• ZyphZyph Posts: 829
    What bone do you have it attached to?
    Join us at http://torchboard.org/forum/index.php to discuss the Far East Expansion!

"Well, there can't be a final mod file, because everything keeps evolving." bran
  • PanzakatPanzakat Posts: 21
    its attached as a particle attach to the weapon..
    I created the particle effect in guts, then created a layout link particle layout, which is then defined in the weapon.dat attached layout.
    <STRING>ATTACHEDLAYOUT:media\particles\weapons\lightsaberattach.layout

it works for all save the run animation...
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭
    I can't remember how to do it, but particles can be oriented either to the world, or to the object (the latter should make it follow the weapon's motion exactly). If the lightsaber blade is trailing around the weapon like that during certain animations, I would bet this is the problem. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly where/how this is fixed, but I'm pretty certain this is the issue.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • Kva3imodaKva3imoda Posts: 977 ✭✭
    This is great! Someone else makes lightsabers. :D This gave me a boost to solve this "Floating" - problem. Yup, I have this problem too.

Looks like I found a solution. It was difficult and I did some tests.

Video: FloatingTest5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub-DIev1 ... e=youtu.be

My research:

1)
    dum3pckl.jpg

You can see that the Green lightsaber has a problem, but the Flaming sword - no.
    The Main question is Why? :)

2)
    qXK6Kg5l.jpg

Test1: Well, I tried to use a standard 3d-model - does not work!
    Test2: I tried to use the Flame effect attaching it to the hilt - does not work! :cry:

3)
    2vsZNJol.jpg

Weapons use standard effects indicating element used (Fire, Electricity, Ice or Poison). They are here: MEDIA\PARTICLES\WEAPONS\
    I took the own effect "SABER_GREEN.LAYOUT", renamed it "ELECTRICITY.LAYOUT" and put in the folder(MEDIA\PARTICLES\WEAPONS\).
    Sword with electrical damage has become a lightsaber. Now everything is working fine and there is no problem. :D It looks like it works on a different principle.

Resume:
    If we want to make a great lightsaber, we can`t use "<STRING>ATTACHEDLAYOUT". We should try to create a new type of weapon and do individual elemental-effects to this type. I have not tried this solution, but I believe that it is right. Anyway it'll be fun: fire - Red lightsaber, electricity - Blue, Poison - green. :)

P.S. Panzakat, your work is good. I like it. Backpack looks great. :)
    4ByzPdz.png 88pn2UZ.pngtrCrfep.png
    electricity is a unit theme it seems. So if we created a new unit theme.. we could then assign the unit theme to a crystal... /ponder

tried the swop sabre_red.layout to fire. added 100% fire damage weapon/hilt works perfectly.

Still hunting the correct settings for the new unit theme.

Fire.layout and Electric etc don't seem to be called in the traditional places seems hard coded to these layouts...
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Hi! Did you guys take a look at how the TL1 Jedi mod lightsabers were made? Because I remember those didn't have the problem of the texture lagging behind the mesh.

I checked just now and they're using the traditional method of a texture file defined by a .material file. You can get it from here if you like.
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
    hey Panzakat, is it just me or does that backpack look suspiciously like a spacemarine's stabiliser jetpack?
    Torchmodders
    I had a sisters of battle fixation.. and wanted to see if I could get some sort of back object through the blender/ogre conversion gauntlet and out the other side!

Kinda... had to extrude all the faces because I couldn't figure out how to attach new bits, so its kind of a close approximation of a sm backpack.. had this problem when i did a Judge dread helm, the visor kept appearing half way outside the model. With the backpack it was just plain weirdo science with the mesh parts appearing right in blender but yards out in game.

so the less you have to mess with the original model.. the better... think its something to do with weighting.. but I haven't mastered that yet!
    The power sword the pet is using isn't bad though! :)
    Phanjam wrote:
    Hi! Did you guys take a look at how the TL1 Jedi mod lightsabers were made? Because I remember those didn't have the problem of the texture lagging behind the mesh.

I checked just now and they're using the traditional method of a texture file defined by a .material file. You can get it from here if you like.

oo i remember downloading a version, and importing the files to TL2.. then running the saber, had a similar issue. if my memory serves correctly this mod used the particle attach method. Which may work in TL1... but as shown has the wobble.

When I get permission from the archive. Will take a look, perhaps missing a variable some place.
    After playing a while, using the change to fire damage.. only a few monsters have the effect, looks a little weird but you can get away with it....
    Panzakat wrote:
    When I get permission from the archive. Will take a look, perhaps missing a variable some place.

Aaack! Sorry about that, didn't notice it was on one of the secure pages.

I moved it to where you can get it :)
    Torchmodders
    Cool ty, got it :)