Runic's Top 10 Helpful Hints for Torched

Comments

• What about the Hot Fix ?
    Any chance thats going to get released soon ?
  • IronSteve wrote:
    Guess it's not a joke cause the editor should of been up by now. I've been and am very impressed with Runics support and customer service, but this just **** me off. To have a 10 tip countdown before release and then at the end say what amounts to 'my bad, no editor'... That's just rude. Very very rude.

I wouldn't be so harsh. They obviously were just as excited about getting us the editor as we are to be getting it and so they jumped the gun a little! It really just shows that they care about their editor as the people looking forward to it do. Seriously, who hasn't had a last minute snag cause something like this in their lives? Personally, I'd rather have them find a bug, fix it and have to repack it last minute than have the editor pushed out broken.
  • Bebop,

Please don't listen to these negative comments. Just the fact that you and other employees are keeping everyone up to speed on the status of everything. I'm so happy that a company has finally embraced the modding community with this type of game. I can't wait to see some of the things that come from the users and hopefully some DLC so we can help support you guys more!

The one thing that I've noticed about you guys is that I actually have some sense of you being human and actually listening and wanting to make your product better. This makes me very excited!!

Waiting another day because you found a crucial bug that would have made everyone tear their hair out anyways is something GOOD. Don't feel terrible, feel good you have so many people frothing at the mouth for your software.

Thanks!!!
  • MaxCarnage wrote:
    Bebop,

Please don't listen to these negative comments. Just the fact that you and other employees are keeping everyone up to speed on the status of everything. I'm so happy that a company has finally embraced the modding community with this type of game. I can't wait to see some of the things that come from the users and hopefully some DLC so we can help support you guys more!

The one thing that I've noticed about you guys is that I actually have some sense of you being human and actually listening and wanting to make your product better. This makes me very excited!!

Waiting another day because you found a crucial bug that would have made everyone tear their hair out anyways is something GOOD. Don't feel terrible, feel good you have so many people frothing at the mouth for your software.

Thanks!!!

I have to second that. The editor is going to allow a lot of people to not only create interesting mods for the rest of the community, but for their own extended enjoyment (like myself) of an already well done game.
    Your interaction with the community is the best I have seen, and I know it is appreciated by all the followers of Torchlight and beyond. Even those who have something negative to gripe on, cannot deny that.
    I am looking forward to the editor, and though I may not say much on the forums, Runic has my support and understanding. They are giving us a **** of a set of tools with the editor, so my patience can bear the strain a little longer.
    HC Normal Vanquisher - Viertree color=#FFBF00]100[/color
    Hard Destroyer - Beldax color=#00FF00]30[/color
  • WebbstreWebbstre Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭
    I say it is hard to stay negative when you keep in mind that Travis and Bebop are probably going to work overnight again to make sure it is ready in the morning.

Try to get some sleep though!
    Administrator/Former Owner of Runic Games Fansite. Be sure to visit RGF for all your Torchlight series needs![/color] Don't forget to check out ModDrop as a one stop solution for installing and sharing mods easily!
  • NeedlehawkNeedlehawk Posts: 914 ✭✭
    Webbstre wrote:
    I say it is hard to stay negative when you keep in mind that Travis and Bebop are probably going to work overnight again to make sure it is ready in the morning.

Try to get some sleep though!

Exactly. I really do hope that they allow themselves to slow down a bit soon and get some rest. I'm sure that some of the mistakes are probably the kind that competent, hard-working people get when they just get to a certain level of exhaustion. I've been in the crucible for software deadlines, so I understand what they are going through.
  • UncleJimUncleJim Posts: 689
    Bebop wrote:
    IronSteve wrote:
    Guess it's not a joke cause the editor should of been up by now. I've been and am very impressed with Runics support and customer service, but this just **** me off. To have a 10 tip countdown before release and then at the end say what amounts to 'my bad, no editor'... That's just rude. Very very rude.

I agree. I'm sitting here feeling terrible. We were pretty **** sure we had a build for everybody. I'm waiting here for the build with the fix to get done so I can test it before QA gets in tomorrow. Me and my **** top 10 list( smack! ) Again sorry everybody.

As punishment you have to post hints every 15 minutes until the editor is released. :lol:

No worries bro pop happens. ;)
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 104
    I can name a 100 other games with much higher budgets that have much less support/communication than Torchlight has.

I want the editor also... If i have to wait, so be it. The world wont end if the Editor isn't released in the next 12 hours..
    Granted, that will make some of the children here wet the bed if it's not released.

Some people have no patience anymore. If they came out and said the editor will not be released till january now.. there will be people here making personal threats to the Dev's.
    **** forbid you have to wait.

ungrateful society. Runic doesn't have to release the editor...
  • jamesLjamesL Posts: 3,568
    Bebop wrote:
    IronSteve wrote:
    Tip #11 Don't have a top 10 list on Tuesday.

Agreed!

how about a top 10 list of why forum members ****
    I don't have a sig
  • I would like to include my .02. There arn't many companies that will interact with their customers/fans like Runic does. We should be thankful that they are willing to put up with us! I have been checking the forums since the game's release and I've found there to be two extreme groups of people. One group has been very understanding and supportive the other group seems to only look for another reason to bash Runic, despite their best efforts! Runic has given us a fantastic game, only charged us 20$ and have been interacting with us since day one. Stop whinning and complaining! Start showing a little thanks to the Runic team.

Thank you Runic!
    -Chipmunk
  • I think what impresses me the most about the team is that they seem like... people? Interspersed amongst the various technical tidbits are casual mentioning of kids, or friends, or dinner, or work schedules. So often in a corporate environment such as an official forum you get robots; PR folks with seamless armor capable of deflecting any vitriolic tongue-lashing (of which there have been more than a few on these forums, sad to say) with a well-planned, carefully calculated defensive/insulating posture.

With Runic.. well, it seems to be a bunch of talented guys that seem to love games and get hurt/annoyed when people rip their **** for no reason. That's worth its weight in gold to me. (I know this sentiment is not a new one, but I felt compelled to share it. The '10 hints countdown' was so delightfully enthusiastic (including the smoke-screen 9.5) that I couldn't help but get swept up in the fun.)

So yes, I'm sad that the editor did not arrive today. Stuff happens. The rationale and the responses from the dev team, however, do not. Thanks again Runic for the transparency and the interaction; so few companies seem to realize that keeping the consumer in the news loop (even if it's crappy news) is paramount to satisfaction (whoa! sounded like a PR bot for a second myself there!)

I would like to see an official sticky regarding the editor delay/ETA, though, just for the sake of thoroughness.
  • I'm with most other people here.
    You guys at Runic are awesome Bebop.
    Just take the time you need to make this great! I can tell that you won't do anything less. So I can't imagine being disappointed with the final result.
    It's awesome to see game developers really listening to the people that care most about their stuff and also working hard to make it worth caring about. If only the huge software developers/distributors cared as much as you guys, we'd have more good games these days like Torchlight. Probably not as many albeit but we wouldn't need a tone if they were all great!
    Keep it up boys!!
  • KilliousKillious Posts: 1,539
    Backlash wrote:
    ... Runic doesn't have to release the editor...

This above all else should be rememberd here. And just after that, the awesome customer suport, community interaction, transparency, and not least of all the sweat blood and tears that went into making Torchlight in under a year and from scratch no less.

To everyone who is complaining/whinning about not getting the editor yet, I'd suggest taking a step back and looking at the big picture here. 1) Runic was formed immediately from the ashes of FSS with a vision to create an awesome ARPG with a team that has a great ammount of experience in this genre. 2) The sheer speed of developement is pretty staggering when you compare it to other titles that get announced 2-3 years before they are suposed to come out. 3) Runic released Torchlight on time and they released a solid patch quickly to address the issues that the community had with certian hardware configs and tweaked little things that were brought to their attention by the community. 4) (this one is really important) The Runic team is.... *gasp* human! And there are only so many hours in the day. As far as I can tell a vast majority of thoes hours have been spent doing nothing but trying to meed our needs as a community. Name one other company who has this type of dedication and communication. In short the Runic team has worked their **** off for us and they deserve a break.
    Sig.png
    Please Don't Feed The Trolls
  • Backlash wrote:
    Some people have no patience anymore. If they came out and said the editor will not be released till january now.. there will be people here making personal threats to the Dev's.

Keep your strawman. I don't recall making personal attacks. I've defended the devs in many of my posts, but let's get real. They had a 3 hour countdown to get people excited for the release of the editor, and then at the end they said 'sorry, tomorrow'. YES, they're trying hard, and YES, there customer service is AMAZING, but for people to feel angry or jerked around is understandable and justifiable. It was a big goof on their part.

I was angry for good reason, I got over it. I look forward to the release of the editor tomorrow... life goes on. You prozak popping fanboys who jump all over anyone who doesn't have their heads up the dev's rears... come back down to reality some time. We'll have some drinks and it'll be fun times.
  • Uh, guys...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5319&p=59544#p59544
    New target for Editor is tomorrow
  • IronSteve wrote:
    Backlash wrote:

Keep your strawman. I don't recall making personal attacks. I've defended the devs in many of my posts, but let's get real. They had a 3 hour countdown to get people excited for the release of the editor, and then at the end they said 'sorry, tomorrow'. YES, they're trying hard, and YES, there customer service is AMAZING, but for people to feel angry or jerked around is understandable and justifiable. It was a big goof on their part.

I was angry for good reason, I got over it. I look forward to the release of the editor tomorrow... life goes on. You prozak popping fanboys who jump all over anyone who doesn't have their heads up the dev's rears... come back down to reality some time. We'll have some drinks and it'll be fun times.

Sorry, the tips weren't really intended as a countdown, though it's reasonable to expect they were. Countdowns don't work well for us, because to do one properly you would have to have final version finished and tested and set to the side, and then say, "Hey, lets make a timer and then release this later!" We're impatient, so in that situation, we would just do away with the timer and release it. So... you should probably be mistrustful of countdowns from us.

The tips do contain some useful information though, you'll appreciate them later. |^)
  • Developers, thank you so much for working so hard! If you feel that your product isn't ready to release, you have my support :) Please add oil (Chinese saying for Keep it Up) and we all love u :D
  • syltmansyltman Posts: 159
    Backlash wrote:
    I can name a 100 other games with much higher budgets that have much less support/communication than Torchlight has.

I want the editor also... If i have to wait, so be it. The world wont end if the Editor isn't released in the next 12 hours..
    Granted, that will make some of the children here wet the bed if it's not released.

Actually they have to release the editor since it was listed as a feature on steam.
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 104
    IronSteve wrote:
    Backlash wrote:

i think my words struck a nerve...

where did i mention any name?...
    it was a generalization.
    And not once in that post did they say it was a countdown to the release.. Forum members took it as a countdown to release.
    I've printed out the list as soon as all 10 (11 ;) ) were there, i saw the list as simple helpful things i'm sure i'd **** up in the first 10 minutes with the editor.
    and probably the top things the Dev's would have to point to when people come to the forums screaming about somethings not working.
    Actually they have to release the editor since it was listed as a feature on steam.

And they never had to say there was a Editor, thus never having to release one.
    oh... and you think this would be the FIRST time a company said something is a feature, and then never delivered on it?... :lol:
  • creiijcreiij Posts: 22
    The editor have been flagshipped =)
    The editor have been Flagshipped!
  • And they never had to say there was a Editor, thus never having to release one.
    oh... and you think this would be the FIRST time a company said something is a feature, and then never delivered on it?... :lol:

I finished the game within a couple days just to see what was in it. I've been waiting for the editor and would not have bought the game had they not promised it as part of the package. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

That's in poor taste.
  • Same here
    Bought the game only for the editor, well, to support the devs as well
    But basically I thought the editor is already in the package, thats why i Bought it from steam

anyways, I have nothing to do with it anymore once I've finished it with all classes, just waiting for the editor, stopped playing.
  • Hotfix isn't out for steam users though
  • Yes it should be out for steam users too.
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5093
    Steam auto-updates the game and i think you don't even know that TL is hotfixed :)

Thanks for the heads up!! :)
  • The editor was a reason for me to buy the game, but i thougth it will be released in two oder three months. Of course I am a little dissapointed that I cant use it right now, but better that way then going mad with a ugly bug.

Other companies may take cash for the editor, so we should not complain for a mighty tool that is free.
  • XeneonicXeneonic Posts: 231
    elborbah wrote:
    Other companies may take cash for the editor, so we should not complain for a mighty tool that is free.
    If it makes any difference to you, I'd gladly pay as much for the editor as I did for the game. First off, the developers deserve it and secondly, they're basically giving us unlimited gameplay value.
  • well, just imagine what had happened if you install the **** thing, launch the editor, and it hungs up every 5 minutes?

Shouting, yelling screaming... same **** as right now. So guys, use your brain BEFORE you write something here. The Devs want to give out a editor with the best possible quality - whats wrong with that?

Just stay calm, you should know when the procejt is finished... "It's done when it's done..:" ;)
    Ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
  • NaihonnNaihonn Posts: 243
    Xeneonic wrote:
    elborbah wrote:
    If it makes any difference to you, I'd gladly pay as much for the editor as I did for the game. First off, the developers deserve it and secondly, they're basically giving us unlimited gameplay value.

This is good idea. If this editor is really as good as it seems to be, they deserve more of financial appreciation. 8-)
    calabash.png
  • creiijcreiij Posts: 22
    Wifes gone to work, all housework done, oh I wish I had the editor right now. But since it's not monday I guess we have to wait another week? =)
    The editor have been Flagshipped!
  • IronSteve wrote:

That's in poor taste.

You don't think Korea could do a good job?