[WIP] Shaped Gems

ArchonyxArchonyx Posts: 11
edited June 2011 in Mod Showcase
I've finally finished the first version of the mod I've been teasing in Brandonn's Gem Icon MOD thread, and as it didn't really get too many comments there, I decided to open a thread about it.

The mod builds on Brandonn's mod and my Bigger Gems mod, and gives unique appearance to the different gem levels.
I was also able to change the size of the sockets to look better with the increased size of the gems. Unfortunately I could only do this by changing the original texture. I'll look into another solution when I get the chance.

Some screenshots:

Original / Shaped Gems
Screenshot-Torchlight-1.png Screenshot-Torchlight-2.png

Screenshot-Torchlight.png Screenshot-Torchlight-6.png

To-do:
- skulls and eyes
- other suggestions


Installation
Extract to the %APPDATA%\runic games\torchlight\mods folder.

Uninstallation
Delete the %APPDATA%\runic games\torchlight\mods\Shaped Gems folder.


Download

Please leave comments and suggestions!


Credit goes to Brandonn http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5411
and Vagrant

Comments

  • Beautiful. I loaded it up, checked my stash and was able to just glance and intuitively grab the same two gems out of a mess of them to transmute. Haven't been able to do that with the old system. Plus, it looks nice. :D Great mod.
  • Great Job! It's so cool to have a system that doesn't just let us easily modify it, but also allows us to share what we have and build off of each others work.
  • The eyes could be diffrent colors, in theory they are magical and the color could represent the strength of magic. For the skulls... I dunno yet. :)
  • Just downloaded this and it doesn't work. I looked into the reason why and it's because there is no .dat files. Only .adm files. You should never include .adm files in your mods. Always just the .dat files.
  • I know your the dev and all, and there is probly a good reason for what you say, but I ship all my (few) mods with just the adm files to save the user from compiling them
  • SilverDSilverD Posts: 159
    Brandonn wrote:
    I know your the dev and all, and there is probly a good reason for what you say, but I ship all my (few) mods with just the adm files to save the user from compiling them

    It's more than probable that there is a good reason. And converting a .dat into .adm doesn't take any noticeable time; just try one of the dat<->adm converters and see for yourself just how much time it takes.
    Reality is what, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
    Failure is not an option. It is a privilege, reserved only for those who try.
  • Bebop, do you have any other mods installed that effect the gems? Assuming its my adm files I just changed the icon name, and his icon file and layout seem correct, so I don't see the problem. I also can't test it right now as I'm not on my comp
  • sanjosanjo Posts: 13
    I have the same problem with your mod.
    When I clear the mod cache, all adm files are deleted.
    When Torchlight starts up it obviously can't generate these adm files because there are no dat files.
    It works as long as you don't clear the cache.
  • VagrantVagrant Posts: 409
    Oooh, now that's a handy and practical mod. Especially for people who are visually disabled, such as myself. Good job, I say!

    It is a bit of a pain though not being able to clean out one's cache, so to that end I went about converting the adm files to dat files for my own use. And I figured, since I have this collection of dat files, it probably wouldn't hurt to share.

    http://files.uploadffs.com/6/dec960c3/GemDats.zip

    That file contains only the dat files and not the entire zip.
    I'm many things: a transhumanist, an imagineer, a werewolf fan, and an amateur hypnotist even. But perhaps the most important to keep in mind is that I'm an old-master at tongue-firmly-placed-in-cheek.
  • Sorry everyone, honestly I didn't pay too much attention to that part of the mod.
    Download updated in first post with the correct files. Thanks Vagrant!
  • Cool! I am glad to see you where able to do this. I'll check it out and test when i get home :)
  • Archonyx wrote:
    Sorry everyone, honestly I didn't pay too much attention to that part of the mod.
    Download updated in first post with the correct files. Thanks Vagrant!

    heh, just blame me, I need to go back and fix my other mods...
  • Very awesome.
  • Thanks for the mod. Makes transmuting process bit quicker and not as hard on these old eyes
  • Loaded game with mod to find that all my gems except for my chaos gems and a few random pieces of my characters gear were deleted. Any ideas as to what caused this? My other mods are OldEnchanter and Respec. Could it have conflicted with these?

    Edit: Strangely, I also noticed that what appear to me as random deletions from my shared stash. For instance, I noticed the shoulder and (helm?) from my Court set that I kept in my shared stash were deleted yet the belt was not.
  • Decantor wrote:
    Loaded game with mod to find that all my gems except for my chaos gems and a few random pieces of my characters gear were deleted. Any ideas as to what caused this? My other mods are OldEnchanter and Respec. Could it have conflicted with these?

    Edit: Strangely, I also noticed that what appear to me as random deletions from my shared stash. For instance, I noticed the shoulder and (helm?) from my Court set that I kept in my shared stash were deleted yet the belt was not.

    Sorry for the late reply! I had a major hardware issue yesterday, but fortunately everything was backed up, so no major damage done.

    I can't think of a reason how my mod could cause the issues you've described, as it only touches texture files and the data files for the gems.
    The only possible scenario I can think of is some sort of conflict with the armor textures, making them disappear. Do you get the tooltip when you hover over the now empty slots in your inventory?

    Have you tried to disable my mod and see if it fixes things? Don't forget to clean your mod cache before restarting the game.

    I hope you didn't lose your items for good!
    Please report back with the results!
  • Archonyx wrote:
    Decantor wrote:
    Loaded game with mod to find that all my gems except for my chaos gems and a few random pieces of my characters gear were deleted. Any ideas as to what caused this? My other mods are OldEnchanter and Respec. Could it have conflicted with these?

    Edit: Strangely, I also noticed that what appear to me as random deletions from my shared stash. For instance, I noticed the shoulder and (helm?) from my Court set that I kept in my shared stash were deleted yet the belt was not.

    Sorry for the late reply! I had a major hardware issue yesterday, but fortunately everything was backed up, so no major damage done.

    I can't think of a reason how my mod could cause the issues you've described, as it only touches texture files and the data files for the gems.
    The only possible scenario I can think of is some sort of conflict with the armor textures, making them disappear. Do you get the tooltip when you hover over the now empty slots in your inventory?

    Have you tried to disable my mod and see if it fixes things? Don't forget to clean your mod cache before restarting the game.

    I hope you didn't lose your items for good!
    Please report back with the results!

    First of all, way to be prepared with your backups. Glad to hear you didn't lose anything critical.

    Second, after searching through some other threads I found some people who had experienced similar issues and just as you mentioned I cleared my cache. All of the items that had disappeared remained so but all of my gems returned. Then, after I cleared my cache and saw that my gems had returned, I tried removing all of my other mods and just putting the ShapedGems one in. Afterwords, again all of my gems vanished but I noticed something strange. My inventory appeared empty when in fact it was full gems that were just not displaying(no tooltips displayed either) and noticed that if I clicked on an inventory slot, my cursor would disappear, that slot would appear highlighted and then if I clicked in the open field, a gem would drop. I don't know what to make of this.

    On a side note: After removing this mod and clearing my cache, I went and tried out the GenderMod, found this had the same result as shapedgems, removing what seems to me as random items from my character and shared stash (didn't mess with my gems though).
  • This is just sooo great! Any progress with the mod? I can't wait for the remaining socketables!
  • BrumbekBrumbek Posts: 12
    psybreeze wrote:
    This is just sooo great! Any progress with the mod? I can't wait for the remaining socketables!
    Good news! I've updated Archonyx's mod to finish all the socketables! Check out Shaped Gems Complete! After all these years, finally! Huge thanks to Archonyx for giving me permission to update his mod. Thanks.
Sign In or Register to comment.