Creating an MMO version of Torchlight 2

Comments

• PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the update Henrik. Pls keep it coming! Can't wait for more!
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • HenrikHenrik Posts: 17
    bookmark confirmed. Keep it up i'm hyped with you :)
    Seinekar wrote:
    Ofc there is interest on it! that may just be AMAZING!
    Quite an ambitious project, I'll give you that. As someone who understands jack **** from this stuff I can only wish you the best of luck and I hope you don't lose interest in it as it's most definitely gonna reel in attention once it's publicly available. Cheers!

Thanks for all the encouraging feedback, it really helps us stay motivated.
    Ashtefere wrote:
    This is way awesome.

I have some questions!

Will there be a scripting system to make more complex/detailed skills/interactions/quests/UI/etc?

What platform does the server run on?

What kind of database is being used?

Thanks!

Scripting = Yes (No details yet)
    Platform = Windows
    Database = MSSQL
    Phanjam wrote:
    Thanks so much for the update Henrik. Pls keep it coming! Can't wait for more!

We love you!
  • kuffkuff Posts: 1
    I haven't even played this game but I respect what you guys are doing big time. I've been waiting for something similar for a game called Dungeon Runners but it isn't happening. This game looks amazing and I think the MMO project will make it even better. Let me know if you ever need a server to host anything on
  • I seriously hope these efforts are ongoing!
  • marcin1509marcin1509 Posts: 3
    When new release will be ready ?
    Three months of waiting :)
  • KiviKivi Posts: 11
    Do these guys have a MOD DB section? Also do they have like a donation page? I'd be down to donate if these guys are for real to make this happen.
    Kickstarter might be a good idea for them :)
    Torchmodders
  • gold163gold163 Posts: 4,852
    I'm not so sure about that, Phanjam. At the end of the day Torchlight is copyright Runic. Involving money would introduce serious legality concerns.
    cxNEL.png
    Oh ur absolutely right! My bad :oops:
    Torchmodders
  • GomerGomer Posts: 30
    Hey,

First of all we are still working on this project as goblins in a cave, there has been a delay with updates due to holidays and a lot of work on our IRL works. We will keep you guys updated as much as possible.
    Kivi wrote:
    Do these guys have a MOD DB section? Also do they have like a donation page? I'd be down to donate if these guys are for real to make this happen.

There is no page yet, we'll probably create one later on for bug reporting and suggestions. :)
    Phanjam wrote:
    Kickstarter might be a good idea for them :)

We wish that fundraising was possible to buy loose some time and accelerate the progress of this project. Sadly we do not think that runic approve such a thing.

Do not disappoint me when we meet in battle.
    logo_small.png
    Torchlight II - MMO Project
    http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57518&start=20#p487884

Hi Gomer! Thanks so much for updating and im so glad to hear youre still working on it :D

Take your time, no pressure to move fast ;) I just really hope to play this some day!
    Torchmodders
  • Eyes on you guys. Keep the work up.
    Hope this can bring fresh air to tl2.
  • tixoootixooo Posts: 1
    hey guys, this project looks amazing! when can we join in a alpha version of the game so we can help with feedback those of us who are not coders ?
  • opsayoopsayo Posts: 26
    Still looking forward to this! If you need development / QA / help of any kind, please reach out to the community! I'd be willing to help where I can.
    Want to keep you guys updated, we are still working on this project and it is going very well. We will release a more detailed update in short. Hope this can bring fresh air to TL2 fans and to be able to interact with people in this wonderful world. Keep your eyes open.
    logo_small.png

• WolvenWolven Posts: 174
    Great news. Looking forwards to get an update on the projects progress. Thanks.
    TorchModders - A community and resource hub for Torchlight Modders -

.: Collaborate on projects, share your knowledge, seek advice and improve the quality of your mods :.
    Gomer wrote:
    Want to keep you guys updated, we are still working on this project and it is going very well. We will release a more detailed update in short. Hope this can bring fresh air to TL2 fans and to be able to interact with people in this wonderful world. Keep your eyes open.
    This is a wonderful update (even if it has almost no details LOL) just knowing you're still working on this is really exciting!

Thanks Gomer and team!
    Torchmodders
    edited September 2015
    Hey guys, after a long wait it is time for the first open alpha testing for this project. The goal is to test the network infrastructure on the client & server side to make sure the core-base is working fine before adding tons of features, we plan to have an open alpha soon and hope someone are willing to test it out and give us feedback. We will also have a road-map that you can follow while we implementing the features during the way.

Questions?
    • What the **** you mean by soon?
      - It may take up to 2-4 weeks before the website is finished and our dedicated server are in place.
    • What will be existing on the alpha?
      - As we said, we want to test our network infrastructure, so registration, login, create a customized player, chatting and run around in a town.
    • Is there something more made?
      - Yes, we have more implemented already like inventory, item management and interaction with NPCs but will be activated when it's time to test it out.
    • Why does everything take so long?
      - We are only two guys that are working on this in our free time, and there are periods we are gone with our IRL jobs.

Looking forward to taking a **** group photo with you guys in Estherian Enclave!

More information about how to register and download the client as we approach the launch!

Cheers!

yfn7o.jpg
    logo_small.png

• ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭
    Good to hear you guys are still active. Hope to hear more news sometime soon!
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
    Woohoo! This is really exciting news :) i would be happy to help test. Do we need to DL a whole new game client, or will this reuse some of the Runic client? How do i sign up?
    Torchmodders
    Phanjam wrote:
    Woohoo! This is really exciting news :) i would be happy to help test. Do we need to DL a whole new game client, or will this reuse some of the Runic client? How do i sign up?

You will need to download the entire game (~15mb), it's around ~200MB with current torchlight assets available in alpha. We will explain how you proceed when we release.
    logo_small.png

I will have to download from work haha! One of the IT guys is my buddy :P
    Torchmodders
  • Ragnar119Ragnar119 Posts: 1,102
    Ok, this is a pleasant surprise. Good luck with the project, you will really need it for something big like this.
    Made some stress-testing at the weekend, simulated players with its own connection moving around random, looked pretty crowded with 1,500 players in the same city heh.

24physg.jpg
    logo_small.png

Very impressive! So, were you happy with the test results?
    Torchmodders
    Phanjam wrote:
    Very impressive! So, were you happy with the test results?

Everything went relatively well, some improvements are being worked on from the local tests, now we are preparing to run tests over the network for more real-time observations with network delays / interpolating sync for a few days.
    logo_small.png

Thanks for the reply Gomer! I really respect the hard work the 2 of you are putting into this!
    Torchmodders
    Phanjam wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Gomer! I really respect the hard work the 2 of you are putting into this!

We do our best, it's a very fun hobby project. Glad to see that interest exist against this project, makes us even more motivated ;)
    logo_small.png

• marcin1509marcin1509 Posts: 3

Hey are there any news ?