Idea for a new weapon type - Whip

DDobrevDDobrev Posts: 4
edited September 2013 in Design
Before any speculation takes place, I need to stress that although I clearly understand that this idea sounds and looks... ****... I am most serious and have no intention of making this a joke.

So, since i have no skill or spare time for modding I would like to ask if such a thing is possible and is someone willing to actually do it.
The idea is for a new weapon type - Whip. One-handed melee weapon with mid-range reach (between any standard 1H melee and a shotgonne, which i guess has the closest range of all the ranged weapons) and some small splash damage effect.

Of course i realize that such consept requires a new type of attack animation whatnot else (things I am not competent with), but atleast for the animation I have some hope that the various tentacles, present through the game may possess a solution.

I haven't given it much deep thought, so that's about it.
Thanks in advance, really looking forward to a discussion, if this turns out to be possible

Comments

• ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭
    >.> ****? The first thing I thought of was Indiana Jones, dunno why you'd think anyone would leap to that conclusion..not that there's anything WRONG with that sort of thing, mind you ^.~

As far as the animation, you could use the Outlanders glaive animation, since you use the same sort of throwing motion to throw a bullwhip that you use to throw something like a glaive.
    ItfooQF.png
  • Wouldn't this require animation in the weapon itself, opposed to the character just moving it around?
  • DDobrevDDobrev Posts: 4
    That's actually what i meant referring to the tentacle creatures, like scaling them down and transforming them into a weapon item and using their attack animation with the glave throw animation that Zidders suggested.

There are also these Nether Lasher creatures or something like that at the end of act 1 that have a tentacle arm that has a nice whiplash-like attack animation (that gives me a nice idea for a legendary whip item - "nether arm" or whatever, that is actually an arm cut off from one of these fellows and that has a flavor text: It's nice, the feeling, of beating your enemies to death with their own limbs.. :lol: ).

Also i thought that whips might not do direct damage, but rather have only DOT as attack damage and each whip would have a tiny bit of life steal as base type characteristics.

Anyways, too difficult things for me to accomplish at this point.
  • HaetteHaette Posts: 119
    I can't model or animate anything myself, but if anyone ever gets serious about this, I'd love to hear about it. Particles are nice but they can only do so much.
  • ArkhamArkham Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭
    I don't think this is possible.
    The creatures you refer to (the Nether Lashers) are characters/monsters, and their ability to be animated is very extensive; weapons, on the other hand have a very limited ability to be animated. Even if you went to the trouble of rigging a whip (which would involve a LOT of bones in a chain that would have to be meticulously animated for every attack, run, idle, and fidget animation, and would be a **** of a lot of work) the game still wouldn't have any way of using it; you can only make a weapon have a basic looping "idle" animation. (I asked one of the devs about our ability to make animated weapons some time back, and this was their response.) So getting that nice whip movement, where the end trails behind the character's action, isn't possible. At least not with rigging.

It might be possible with particle effects; I am less well-versed in those but I understand there is a "ribbon" type of effect that may make this possible. Someone else will have to look into that to see what can be done with it, but it is at least a possibility. Anything involving a weapon mesh and an attached animation skeleton that is meant to "respond" to characters' actions is not possible in TL2.
    Kv2n8MF.jpg

Mods:
    Arkham's Armory (TL2) | Lego Wizard pet (TL1)

Check out the Torchlight fan group #The-Lure-of-Ember on dA!
  • Arkham wrote:
    [SNIPATIONIZED]
    Anything involving a weapon mesh and an attached animation skeleton that is meant to "respond" to characters' actions is not possible in TL2.

Just as I thought :(

Maybe a workaround could be animating them in a way similar to wand attacks, but using solid-looking particles?
  • AnokaAnoka Posts: 162
    Psiweapon wrote:
    Arkham wrote:
    [SNIPATIONIZED]
    Anything involving a weapon mesh and an attached animation skeleton that is meant to "respond" to characters' actions is not possible in TL2.

Just as I thought :(

Maybe a workaround could be animating them in a way similar to wand attacks, but using solid-looking particles?

Nice idea XD Also, you could make a static whip (just rolled up in your hand), and then make it proc a skill where the you "hide weapons" and show the moving whip, then when the hit is done, you can "show weapons" and it will look like you curled it back into your hands. I'm not sure which work-around would be easier though, I guess it depends on if you are more comfortable with skills or particles.
    Destroyer Mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =140834118

Don't forget, Phanjam has his own version too! His forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=46993&p=483784#p483784
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Kva3imoda has this video showing particle effects used to give a character "wings". Maybe a similar technique can achieve a whip?
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • I see, i see, thanks for the positive responses!
    What i thought up 'till now - maybe use a wand in a new weapon type and just for a handle and have it play a whip particle effect if it is possible to create one, or make the item have a 100% chanse to cast that particle effect on attack and when the attack finishes the particle effect woud fade away (probably like the trail left from a bullet or an arrow, just to just to give an idea of what I am thinking here). Maybe even call it an Aetheral whip, that would go well with a wand as a handle.
    I have no idea if everything above is possible and what would it make of using the glave throw animation for attack animation, dual wielding and execute.

P.S. Really liked the wings effect video!