Map reset when playing online

somner90somner90 Posts: 23
edited October 2016 in TL2 General Discussions
Hello, me and my friend have recently got back into Torchlight 2 and we've been playing a lot. There is one thing bugging me about online play though, map resets!

Every time I disconnect and join his server, I spawn in the local town and all maps have reset, same if he joins my server! I find this very frustrating as there is an optional map reset feature when creating a game in case of any needed map reset, so why does it do it automatically? Is there anyway to stop the map resets without using mods? Maybe some configs or am I just missing something obvious? Surely it's a matter of his server not saving my game state or something?

Peace.

Comments

• ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    A game's map data is taken from the person who creates that game. Everyone else who joins has their map data wiped and replaced with the game's map data. A moment's thought should reveal why this is the only way multiplayer games can work.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • somner90somner90 Posts: 23
    That's obvious, i'm just stating that its frustrating, and I don't see any benefit to wiping everyone else's data. Separate fog of war and map data could be saved per person, it would't be that big of a deal, would it?

It almost makes it beneficial to play solo, which is saddening in my opinion.
  • KilliousKillious Posts: 1,539
    somner90 wrote:
    That's obvious, i'm just stating that its frustrating, and I don't see any benefit to wiping everyone else's data. Separate fog of war and map data could be saved per person, it would't be that big of a deal, would it?

Actually it would be more of a big deal than you think it would. You have to take into account the randomness of the game and the mod factor as well (I know mods are not an issue for Vanilla players, but they are a major factor in the game and they had to take that into consideration when building the MP.). I'm not nearly as well versed in this matter as others here so I may well be wrong. I'm pretty sure that someone else can come along and explain exactly why it would be much more difficult than you think.
    Sig.png
    Please Don't Feed The Trolls
    It's not exactly rocket science...

In order to play in the same game, everyone in that game has to be using the same map. Otherwise really basic multiplayer things like being on the same screen would not be possible. This point should be so obvious that it's a "well duh" kind of thing.

Obviously, the map that gets used has to come from the player who starts the game since there is no one else to get map data from at that point in time. Again, this point should be so obvious that it's a "well duh" kind of thing.

Finally, you cannot go back to your old map data after a multiplayer game because that would require undoing your map progress from the multiplayer game. For example: Assume that during your last single-player game you brushed the edge of Skull Hollow, but did not uncover the quest giver or the dungeon entrance. Further assume that you join a multiplayer game; your map data gets overwritten with the game-creator's map data; you fully explore a different variant of Skull Hollow, take the quest, fully explore a different variant of the dungeon and kill the boss; then quit the multiplayer game. Now you want to go back to your old map data? There's no way to translate your progress from the multiplayer game map to your old map because the tiles you explored may not even exist in your old map, much less in the same place. The only option is to forget all the map progress you made in the multiplayer game and use the old map exactly as it was. And that would put you in the position, for the second time, that you will be uncovering things you've already done. It shouldn't be too hard to see that keeping the map data from the multiplayer game is preferable.

I don't mean to be a **** here, but complaining about this is about as dumb as complaining about gravity. It's an absolutely unavoidable consequence of having multiple map variants in a multiplayer game.
  • "It's not exactly rocket science..."
    Please stop.

"In order to play in the same game, everyone in that game has to be using the same map. Otherwise really basic multiplayer things like being on the same screen would not be possible. This point should be so obvious that it's a "well duh" kind of thing."

You're right, if you're both in the same area Cthon the monsters and other aspects of the map would need to be identical for all players, but that isn't the case for maps that nobody has explored yet and that you are soloing, its a lot less simple of an explanation than you think it is and I came here for answers, not condescending comments from people who don't know what they're on about. I agree with you on the fact that if you are in the same area as someone the map data must be identical.

"I don't mean to be a **** here, but complaining about this is about as dumb as complaining about gravity. It's an absolutely unavoidable consequence of having multiple map variants in a multi-player game."

I was barely complaining, and at what point did being inquisitive become 'stupid'? You really need to rethink some things.

Also you've completely misjudged the point of my post, maybe I wasn't clear enough. My friend is considerably far behind in the game on the character he is currently playing so we haven't been in the same area at all (apart from when I warped to him to give him some of my old gear.
    Here is the story: I join his server, battle my way through some of sundered battlefields, get 3 of the crystals to unlock the elemental oasis, decide to take a break and go play something else for a while. He is nowhere near sundered battlefields and hasn't been in that area, so the area was completely fresh when I started it, why can't i join the server again and the map still be in the same state? Just because he isn't in the map? Why can't it also save my map data but just prioritize his so that when he gets there it resets?

Cthon, you would do well do learn some manners, and read this post: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37365
  • It seems the simplest solution for your problems would be for one person to always host the server instead of to alternate. That way, when you are the only one to host, your world does not get reset, his does.
    isX2omM.jpg?1
  • Yes, I think that's the closest i'm going to get :(
  • In single player D2, there is a file you can copy, save, and paste back in which allows you to retain a map layout- I used to use it for Meph runs. I don't recall where it was or what the file was called, but since all the saves are local files, it seems likely that there would be a way to restore a map layout in a similar fashion in TL2. Note well, I am speculating, here, not stating a fact, and if I am in error, I have no problem accepting (polite) correction.
    There is no birth and no cessation. There is no impurity and no purity. There is no decrease and no increase.
    VajraGuruMantra.gif
  • "Note well, I am speculating, here, not stating a fact, and if I am in error, I have no problem accepting (polite) correction."

Amen bro, this is all anybody wants really! I would also like to know if this kind of thing is possible in Torchlight 2. I'll be looking through the torchlight folder and testing some things out when I next play. I've got friends nagging me to play Path of Exile atm though.
    paledoor wrote:
    In single player D2, there is a file you can copy, save, and paste back in which allows you to retain a map layout- I used to use it for Meph runs. I don't recall where it was or what the file was called, but since all the saves are local files, it seems likely that there would be a way to restore a map layout in a similar fashion in TL2. Note well, I am speculating, here, not stating a fact, and if I am in error, I have no problem accepting (polite) correction.

Unfortunately, it's not. D2 used multi-part save files -- character data and maps were in separate files. TL2 uses an all-in-one save file. On several occasions I've suggested splitting the file (character data + inventory, quests + maps) as a way to implement NG tier jumping more easily. Runic's never gone for it. In theory, one could design a tool to swap the map data within the save file. However that would require a much better understanding of the save file structure than I currently possess.
  • Tbh one of my few annoyances in this game is in fact the NG+ system. I feel like multiplayer would be much more enjoyable if NG+3, 4 and 5 were ALL grouped together in multiplayer. There is no reason they shouldn't be, because by that time every player should be a guaranteed level 99-100. That way, every time you log on and want to play multiplayer you won't keep seeing empty game lists with only 3-4 games.
    isX2omM.jpg?1
  • Chthon wrote:
    Unfortunately, it's not. D2 used multi-part save files -- character data and maps were in separate files. TL2 uses an all-in-one save file. On several occasions I've suggested splitting the file (character data + inventory, quests + maps) as a way to implement NG tier jumping more easily. Runic's never gone for it. In theory, one could design a tool to swap the map data within the save file. However that would require a much better understanding of the save file structure than I currently possess.

Well, then, I stand corrected.
    12aptor wrote:
    Tbh one of my few annoyances in this game is in fact the NG+ system. I feel like multiplayer would be much more enjoyable if NG+3, 4 and 5 were ALL grouped together in multiplayer. There is no reason they shouldn't be, because by that time every player should be a guaranteed level 99-100. That way, every time you log on and want to play multiplayer you won't keep seeing empty game lists with only 3-4 games.

One thing I really liked about D2 was the Normal/Nightmare/**** progression, but I understand why they chose not to do that in TL2. However, I think a better alternative would have been to assign games based on level ranges, say with a differential of +/-5 levels? Just throwing that out there as an idea.
    There is no birth and no cessation. There is no impurity and no purity. There is no decrease and no increase.
    VajraGuruMantra.gif
  • VorodarVorodar Posts: 691
    somner90 wrote:
    You're right, if you're both in the same area Cthon the monsters and other aspects of the map would need to be identical for all players, but that isn't the case for maps that nobody has explored yet and that you are soloing,

You still need to sync maps across all players, though. It really isn't as simple as you put it - if I go in act 2 and explore everything, while you're in act 1, you still need to have the same map as me when/if you eventually get to act 2.
    somner90 wrote:
    its a lot less simple of an explanation than you think it is and I came here for answers, not condescending comments from people who don't know what they're on about.

You better visit the link you provided yourself - for one, I've found that Chthon is probably one of the furthest away from "people who don't know what they're on about" on this forum. Insulting him does nothing to upkeep BrianW's suggestion.
    Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!
    Grovel before your true master.

I <3 thunderlocusicon.jpg
  • PokeyPokey Posts: 1,031
    Vorodar wrote:

You better visit the link you provided yourself - for one, I've found that Chthon is probably one of the furthest away from "people who don't know what they're on about" on this forum. Insulting him does nothing to upkeep BrianW's suggestion.

I don't think this will help the OP much, all he's done since Chthon replied to him was throw snide remarks out in his replies to other people (even though Chthon did answer him, and has continued to answer questions in this thread). What a nice chap he is!
    “WITH A FEW SMALL MODIFICATIONS, ANY CANOE CAN TRAVEL THROUGH TIME!!!”

Dirty.gifPensive.gifFlirty.gif
    Pokey wrote:
    Vorodar wrote:

I don't think this will help the OP much, all he's done since Chthon replied to him was throw snide remarks out in his replies to other people (even though Chthon did answer him, and has continued to answer questions in this thread). What a nice chap he is!

To be fair, I probably could have done a better job of being diplomatic in how I explained to OP that s/he was being a dumbass. For that matter, I should also do a better job of recognizing "questions" that are really just kvetching, since trying to answering that kind of "question" never gets me anything but trouble.
  • And the trolls arrive, I guess being condescending to inquisitive people is fine, don't worry i'm leaving this post now, there is clearly no solution to this at this time and I really cba being ridiculed, especially when i'm just sticking up for myself against someone who is clearly being condescending when there is absolutely no need to be. Well I hope you enjoy yourself.

P.S. not knowing things does no equal to being a dumb **** so get that stick out your **** ;)
  • MygafferMygaffer Posts: 123
    Actually this isn't something that has to be this way. They could have saved your map data and used it when you returned to the single player game, but that would have taken more work on their end and they chose not implement it.

I can see what it might be annoying but it also allows you to go back and replay old areas, something the game ordinarily doesn't allow you to do.

If you were one of the people saying "OP is a dumbass, obviously it could be no other way" you should really not speak on matters you don't understand.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭
    Mygaffer wrote:

If you were one of the people saying "OP is a dumbass, obviously it could be no other way" you should really not speak on matters you don't understand.
    Nobody else has posted to this thread in three years. Why the necro?
    ItfooQF.png