[WIP] Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion

Comments

• JacKcJacKc Posts: 80
    I've already tested some others great mods but i could say Torchlight 2 Expansion name is not stolen and/or exaggerated. I've already finished Temple Steppes and i've noticed a lot of details, side quests, loading screens, phase beast portals and other new things added. I've also tested some torchlight 1 dungeons (using the Mysterious Scroll Portal) and i just can say that this Mod (for what i saw) is truly amazing :shock:

You've made an incredible job DeeZire doing this mod, which i could trust, will become an essential mod to all Torchlight II fans and players....I would not be surprised if Runic Games Staff will release an ultimate pacth using all the changes and adds you've made.

Best regards,
    JacKc.
    2qnlQog.png
  • GroomzGroomz Posts: 41
    So far the only one I found compatibility problems with is Synergies, I also use Arkham's Armory, RNF's Legendary, Gorillas' stuffs and a lot of other mods, everything seems to be working just fine!
    I'm pretty sure Salan and Dee will find a way to work this out eventually, until then I'm just gonna maintain two save directories switching back and forth, and that's it.
    Love both mods - and the rest I've got as well, so big thanks for all the modders out there for their efforts!
    Cheers!
  • DeeZireDeeZire Posts: 255
    JacKc wrote:
    I've already tested some others great mods but i could say Torchlight 2 Expansion name is not stolen and/or exaggerated. I've already finished Temple Steppes and i've noticed a lot of details, side quests, loading screens, phase beast portals and other new things added. I've also tested some torchlight 1 dungeons (using the Mysterious Scroll Portal) and i just can say that this Mod (for what i saw) is truly amazing :shock:

You've made an incredible job DeeZire doing this mod, which i could trust, will become an essential mod to all Torchlight II fans and players....I would not be surprised if Runic Games Staff will release an ultimate pacth using all the changes and adds you've made.

Best regards,
    JacKc.

Thank you, comments such as yours make me think my work all worthwhile :)
    Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion
    viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57897
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    I'm going to start ripping my mod apart completely, there is no real reason why this shouldn't work with synergies, of course our spawnclasses will conflict but that just depends on which you want over the other.

must have 1 small issue within synergies somewhere.. need better debugs!
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • RustyRusty Posts: 1,640
    Salan wrote:
    I'm going to start ripping my mod apart completely

:o *cringes* That sounds so violent.

These two mods together will be one large change for TL2.
  • mambamamba Posts: 40
    Salan wrote:
    I'm going to start ripping my mod apart completely, there is no real reason why this shouldn't work with synergies, of course our spawnclasses will conflict but that just depends on which you want over the other.

I would start with globals.dat. I recently noticed that the Synergies version misses the last 50 or so entries compared to vanilla TL2. Not sure if this is intentional, but it felt odd.
    Hi all the mod has had a minor update, original download link still applies. Any characters created that have used this mod previously will be fine.

All I've done is;-
    1 - adjusted some drop rates, particularly the Mystery Portal Scroll. I mistakenly left some drop rates too high (used for testing) and did not change them back, so they have been reverted to the stock TL2 values. For the Mystery Portal Scroll this meant it was dropping like confetti but my intention was to set it to a rate that meant you would expect to get 2 in each act (contingent on the RNG of course) so the drop rate is now what I intended. At this rate, you should expect to have found all 7 different ones by the end of Act IV but if they're still too common let me know.
    2 - fixed a couple of typos and grammatical errors I made and made a couple of cosmetic improvements.
    3 - I noticed a couple of tiling errors in the TL1 dungeons, these have been fixed.

Apologies for any inconvenience or confusion, hope you're enjoying it! There will be a more significant update in the near future, in the meantime keep any issues reported here, thanks!
  • AnokaAnoka Posts: 162
    Thanks Dee, I'll pick up the new download when I get back XD.

Also, everyone in this thread is not kidding when they say that your mod is essential. I was debating if I should make a lengthy thread in General Discussion about this mod, because even though I hate it when people suggest to others that they mod before they beat the game, this mod would actually enhance vanilla instead of trying to "balance" it or any other thing that might skew what Runic intended for us.

As the first few people that know about this beautiful work, I think that we have a responsibility to let the community know about this mod, and to let people know that this is NOT an overhaul/"balance" change. I know that there are lots of people who have avoided mods in fear that it changes vanilla into some wild rocky road, but this mod is better than a mod, it might as well be an official patch. As someone who sees room for vanilla and modded, this mod may be what makes me take my vanilla saves over to the dark side (chocolate?). This mod is like the almond sprinkles that you put on top of a vanilla sundae (get it? Cause your mod goes so well with vanilla, its like it was meant to be there in the first place? Oh nevermind DX *flails tentacles in air*).

Ice cream jokes aside, I'd like to call upon my modding brethren to help me build some awareness for this mod. FOR TORCHLIGHT! FOR VILDERAN! RAISE YOUR BLADES/WANDS/CLAWS/PISTOLS/SUCTION THINGIES! *marches off*
    Destroyer Mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =140834118

Don't forget, Phanjam has his own version too! His forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=46993&p=483784#p483784
  • SalanSalan Posts: 2,642
    mamba wrote:
    Salan wrote:

I would start with globals.dat. I recently noticed that the Synergies version misses the last 50 or so entries compared to vanilla TL2. Not sure if this is intentional, but it felt odd.

very odd
    Synergies Conversion mod: http://www.synergiesmod.com
    Elite monsters, Hero monsters, world bosses, rare dragons, rare trolls, three tiers of End Game Raids, Legendary Armor sets, NEW Legendary Weapons, 3 new classes, Mercenaries, and Angels!
    21971.png

moty-250.png
  • aherinaherin Posts: 54
    Hi there, great mod :)
    Just reporting a few issues with the new quests.
    In about 3 quests in the temple steppes the quest givers can appear twice. That injured guy that wants you to get the herb for him is one of them.
    I presume its something to do with the map tiles randomisation etc.

Also when I tried to do the temple treasury from the ghost boat (which used to send you to kill pirates) I just got sent to the entrance the temple steppes and the map reset.

Anyway, thanks for the great work :)
    edited October 2013
    aherin wrote:
    Hi there, great mod :)

Also when I tried to do the temple treasury from the ghost boat (which used to send you to kill pirates) I just got sent to the entrance the temple steppes and the map reset.

Anyway, thanks for the great work :)

I'm actually in the end of Act 2 and i've not encounter this kind of bug with this quest (in fact i was able to do all quests and side quests without encounter any particular bugs). Are you playing with a new freshly character or is it a previous one? Are you running other(s) mod(s) with this one?

I suggest for this new mod (which is for me more an expansion than a mod) to create a new character and not to use anothers mods to really see and discover the enhancements made by DeeZire. I'm totally agree with Anoka saying this mod is more than a mod but could be considered as "an official pacth". Like him i would make a lenghty thread about the new changes (side quests, spells, weapons, monsters, etc...) compare to "regular" Torchlight II but i gave up prefering players to discover them all.
    2qnlQog.png
  • aherinaherin Posts: 54
    hmm ok well it is a new character from scratch, but I have loaded a few ui mods and a bag mod. I guess ill try reloading world and if it keeps happening ill have to play without them.
    Thanks man
  • Gotta say, this is what mods should be: enhancements to the game, not re-works of the essentials. Increased content, not "fixes" for problems that aren't problems.
    I loaded this one yesterday and brought up my Lvl 60 Engineer in NG+, who had just finished the Temple Steppes area; no issues or crashes. It did reset the areas, so I had to re-explore them (understandable since the addition of the sidequests). No biggie, and the Bounty Board's 3 "questlets" were kinda neat. No trouble with the Wash Away My Sins quest, although I was kinda surprised at how simple it was.
    The additional "cairns" are cool, and seem to give up more loot than the other stuff like Rock piles and Urns. One note, and it may have just been a random thing, I found one of the new "cairns" on top of a Rock pile; if I hadn't had the nametags on, I probably wouldn't have seen the rocks under the cairn.

Overall, I'm liking this alot, and just this playthrough has convinced me to "suspend" all 5 of my other characters and restart them, so I catch everything from the beginning. All of them are Lvl 30+, so I wouldn't get to experience the new stuff in Acts I & II.

Great job, Dee! :D
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati." - Red Green
  • Kva3imodaKva3imoda Posts: 984 ✭✭
    I found one of the new "cairns" on top of a Rock pile; if I hadn't had the nametags on, I probably wouldn't have seen the rocks under the cairn.
    Yes, I noticed that too.

RoSV2gP.png

If I understand correctly. :)
    4ByzPdz.png 88pn2UZ.pngtrCrfep.png
  • Kva3imoda wrote:
    I found one of the new "cairns" on top of a Rock pile; if I hadn't had the nametags on, I probably wouldn't have seen the rocks under the cairn.
    Yes, I noticed that too.

{IMAGE REMOVED FOR BREVITY}

If I understand correctly. :)

What I saw was that new cairn (with its nametag) on top of a Rocks pile (with its nametag). So there were 2 nametags on the same "pile of rocks". :lol: It only happened one time in all the Steppes, so I figured it was just a random glitch in the object placements.
  • strukto78strukto78 Posts: 158
    first off, this mod a true enrichment to the game! I haven't even reached the temple steppes yet playing and my jaw is dropping all the time!

there are some issues though, in your last patch you said you solved the mystery scrolls drop rate, however... I have had four drops in like 15 minutes...
    2013-10-05_00001.jpg

another issue is that all gels are pink (untextured?), that can't be right

other issues (possibly) lie in conflicts with other mods
    for example, I can't put anything in my pet's inventory using the big bag mod

if this were only working with synergies!
    I truly hope that will be fixed soon
    Hi strukto! I know I'll find out when I get home but I want to ask you - any conflicts with your armory mod? I think I'm expecting it, but I'm also hoping there isn;t :|

no issues detected so far, and I have already encountered some of my items
  • PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭
    strukto78 wrote:
    no (conflict with strukto's armory mod) issues detected so far, and I have already encountered some of my items
    Thanks Strukto.
    I confirm no conflcits so far with strukto's armory mod and RnF's legendaries mod, and I've already encountered items from all 3 mods :)
    Great, great work Deezire! (and Strukto and RnF too :D !)
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • wolpakwolpak Posts: 473
    Gotta say, this is what mods should be: enhancements to the game, not re-works of the essentials. Increased content, not "fixes" for problems that aren't problems.

Sorry for the digression, but this attitude is why the modding scene here isn't very strong. The underlying feeling that something doesn't "need" to be fixed. That attitude stifles creativity and ingenuity and is what an old crumudgeon says about something new and different. The, "if it's different than what I know, it shouldn't be done" is the opposite of how a progressive society should be.

Sorry /rant

Mod is awesome btw.
  • JensDJensD Posts: 19
    wolpak wrote:
    Gotta say, this is what mods should be: enhancements to the game, not re-works of the essentials. Increased content, not "fixes" for problems that aren't problems.

Sorry for the digression, but this attitude is why the modding scene here isn't very strong. The underlying feeling that something doesn't "need" to be fixed. That attitude stifles creativity and ingenuity and is what an old crumudgeon says about something new and different. The, "if it's different than what I know, it shouldn't be done" is the opposite of how a progressive society should be.

+1

BTW

Great mod!
  • PennyT18PennyT18 Posts: 165
    Your mod is great, Dee. I did have to clear out all Synergies items before I could use it, just removing the mod wasn't enough, but thankfully I have two versions of the game installed so I can still play Synergies on one and your mod on another. I have slowly added some of the other mods that I use and haven't seen any other issues so far. I do hope you and Salan can get your mods working together. I miss the mobs of Synergies and miss being able to access Table Mountain. You guys who make these mods have made TL2 like a whole new game so thanks for all your hard work.
    strukto78 wrote:
    there are some issues though, in your last patch you said you solved the mystery scrolls drop rate, however... I have had four drops in like 15 minutes...
    2013-10-05_00001.jpg

another issue is that all gels are pink (untextured?), that can't be right

I think you're right on the drop rate for the Mystery Portal Scroll it still seems too frequent so I will take another look. As for the Gels, I have re-textured the Acid Gell with a texture from TL1 to differentiate it from the Noxious Gel as they were both the same - if you've not reached the Temple Steppes yet, you won't have seen the Noxious Gel so won't realise the change ;)

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming, I will get another minor update out soon (found a slight bug in Act 3 but nothing significant in fact you probably won't notice it) before the big one that will complete a few things I did not get time to finish off before release. I don't think anyone has found any of them yet but there are quite a few surprises to be discovered ;)
    well... in fact me noticing this also has to do with the mysterious portal scrolls, the flame gel is also pink... exactly the same as the acid one!
    also, don't you think an acid gel should be green?

also, +1 on this!
    FlashfyreSP wrote:Gotta say, this is what mods should be: enhancements to the game, not re-works of the essentials. Increased content, not "fixes" for problems that aren't problems.

• wolpak wrote:

Sorry /rant

Mod is awesome btw.

And this is why mods aren't always successful. . . because what YOU think needs fixing or improving isn't what someone else thinks. It also isn't about stifling creativity; making a new character class takes a lot of creativity and work, and adds content. New dungeons, new items, new quests, these are all do-able and would vastly improve the game experience; changing the way Experience is gained just to reach Lvl 100 in a few hours isn't adding content, and it may only appeal to a few players. That's fine, and more power to the modder and those who like it. But the modding scene would be stronger if more mods were built to enhance THIS game, instead of trying to make it into some other RPG. :roll: Listen to what the community wants, post ideas and see how many like it, gather feedback and use it to develop mods that the majority will use; instead, too many make a mod to satisfy their own desire and then wonder why so few people use it.

Personally, I've been discouraged from using most of the mods made so far; the few I have used are those that add content without affecting balance (such as Blanks Landmarks and Extra Chunky). This one does the same; more quests, more monsters, more items, more dungeons. But it doesn't change the basic way the game works.

To the topic at hand: DeeZire, I noticed that the icons for some of the recipes for transmuting have changed; the ones for Sockets, Uniques, Set Items, and Gems. 3 of them use the same "chest of gold" icon, the 4th one uses the Barter icon. Wondering if this was intentional, or a mistake?

Also, gotta say I like the Mysterious Portal scrolls - tried my first one out, hit the Lost Caverns full of Tu'tuarans, and had a blast! 8-)
    I have 6 of them, 1 from the Honored Dead, 3 from the Steppes, 1 from Crow's Pass and 1 (so far) from the Frosted Hills. Not every champion is dropping them, and I did get one from Mordrox in the Rosamortis quest. None of the others came from bosses, though.
    let's not digress too much from commenting on this beautiful mod.
    no need to pollute this topic!

however, I don't want to kill the discussion either, so I started a thread on it in the discussion section:
    viewtopic.php?f=47&t=58132

let's continue our discussion there
    Thanks struko78 :)

@FlashfyreSP yes I did change those icons, I just prefer those and wanted things to be a little more 'guesswork' I suppose.

@Kva3imoda that's strange, I haven't touched the Flamekegger skills at all but I noticed one of his skills does indeed inflict electrical damage so I have changed it to fire which I assume is correct.

The Mystery Portal Scrolls still seem to be dropping too often, I have lowered the drop rate again, another update is coming soon but I want to include more things I didn't get completed in time rather than keep releasing small iterations :)
  • ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    Haven't had much time to mess with this, but I do have a few thoughts:

1. This is pretty awesome.

2. The "pet has returned" notification could definitely stand to go down to 1 sec, or no visual and just the audio notification. Presuming the visual stays, I'd prefer for it to be (a) semi-transparent, (b) dismissable by the spacebar, and (c) instantly dismissed if moused over.

3. It's highly ironic that the wounded guy gives a health potion as a reward for gathering some leaves and mud to treat his wound. No wonder these guys are always found lying dead with unused health potions... It's kind of fitting with TL2's self-mocking, "it's both an ARPG and a satire of ARPGs" tenor, so I'd probably keep it this way.

4. Are these quests/events tested with multiplayer? I recall reading somewhere that some of the cooler events had to be removed during development because they went haywire in multiplayer.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • Couple more "bugs":

1. Spell:Roller IV, the icon changes when learned to the Fireball one. Spell still works properly (pretty cool addition for a flame-based mage or engineer 8-)

2. Portal Issue: Portal to Surface from Drigung(sp) Grotto in NG+ Frosted Hills returns you to entrance of Crow's Pass (next to entry for Estherian Enclave), rather than to Frosted Hills where entrance is.

Also, I'm now up to 9 Mystery Portal scrolls. . . good thing is, they're worth about 1700 gold each, so I might just sell off a few. BTW, is there any way to tell which dungeon-type they go to, or is it completely random?
    Bug: Imperial Railmaster in Enclave is wandering around.
    Notice also a "bug" (not sure it is in fact a bug) with Spell: Whirling Flames when learned :

nfeq.png
    > 3ow8.png

NOTE: This spell has been learned by my pet.

Finished Normal game with my Berserker lvl 60 and discovered 6 new spells, some animations details added (temple steppes as exemple), new monsters (ACT III as example), a lot of side quests and many more...I've noticed also; like Strukto78 and Chthon, some "bugs" like Mystery Portal Scrolls which are dropping too often and the Imperial Railmaster in Enclave who is wandering around.

Except those "bugs", i didn't notice anything else even if according to you DeeZire, few things have to be fixed :!: It is a proof your Expansion Pack (yes it is really an expansion pack more than a mod for me) is near perfect and few things need to be fixed (according to you not me ;) )

Even in this state, this "mod" is really awesome, make a "second life" to Torchlight 2 for all players who starting to be bored with it. I continue and persist to say this mod really needs to be added as official patch by Runic Staff !!!
    2qnlQog.png
    Continued comments:

1. Noticed a couple of sounds on the female engineer that don't seem right. One is a high-pitched girly squeal that seems to be an attack sound. It's really distracting and it sounds awful. Pretty sure it was originally removed because it ****. The other is a low resource warning that has the pseudo-Russian/German-ish accent to it that goes more with the berserker's sound set. Neither of these fit in at all with the rest of the female engineer sounds.

2. Are Grell's minions supposed to drop Grell's items? I got the whole set out of the battle, most of it before he even died.

3. Grell's satanic chains thing looks cool as heck, but I can't figure out what it did.

4. Balance issue with the mysterious portals -- 2 actually. I did one about level 11, on elite. Going in, the monsters were scaled high enough that they were too **** hard. It was a very, very tedious hit-and-run-and-drink-a-potion over and over again to kill anything. However, the monsters gave tons of XP; so much so that I leveled right past them and was almost breezing by the bottom of the dungeon. And then I popped out significantly overleveled for the normal content. I'd suggest tweaking the level scaling to pull them down a little, and maybe, maybe giving the whole zone an XP rate penalty.

5. Encountered a normal dwarf stuck behind one of the surprise-it's-a-turret doors in the dwarf fortress. (I think he was too close when the turret popped out and he got trapped.

6. Encountered a breakable behind the runic component spawner in the dwarf fortress.

7. Mordrox did something to me that rendered me completely unable to move until he hit me with knockback. (I suspect this may be a vanilla TL2 bug though.)