[WIP] Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion

Comments

• ChthonChthon Posts: 1,855
    Anoka wrote:
    For you guys getting double bosses and loading crashes, perhaps it has to do with having "Blank's Landmarks" and "Extra Chunky", as they are already included in Unearthed Arcana, and the corresponding mods might be colliding in trying to override the layout that loads.

'Fraid not. My test character was freshly created using this mod and this mod only. It's never been loaded with any other mods.

Five out of six crashes occurred when pressing the "resurrect in town" button. That should be a decent clue for where to start looking for the problem.
    Torchlight 2 Rapid Respec - Putting the "hack" in "hack-n-slash"
    StashNinja - INFINITE Stash for Torchlight 2
    NullMod - Play together in the same multiplayer game with different mods!
  • AnokaAnoka Posts: 162
    Chthon wrote:
    Anoka wrote:
    For you guys getting double bosses and loading crashes, perhaps it has to do with having "Blank's Landmarks" and "Extra Chunky", as they are already included in Unearthed Arcana, and the corresponding mods might be colliding in trying to override the layout that loads.

'Fraid not. My test character was freshly created using this mod and this mod only. It's never been loaded with any other mods.

Five out of six crashes occurred when pressing the "resurrect in town" button. That should be a decent clue for where to start looking for the problem.

Well shucks, its a shame its not a simple mod conflict, but still I've got good news! I was able to replicate the bug you've been getting! XD Here's the info I can provide.

-female engi
    -lvl 1
    -veteran
    -act1
    -died in path of honored dead
    -immediate click of "resurrect in town"
    -headcrab pet set to passive

Other insight: If you die and click "resurrect in area" there will not be a crash, (died at the very beginning next to the Inn, and there was no town button yet)

Also, my bug testing senses said I ought try it with an outside class, and this time the bug did not work!

-female ninja
    -lvl1
    -veteran
    -act1
    -doggy pet set to passive

I guess I should've kept the headcrab pet, just to keep the experiment as focused as possible, but I think my next experiment helps show the headcrab's innocence in all of this. So, since I got it to work on a femal engi, I thought I should try to help pinpoint it even more and try it on a male engi. The result is that I was unable to get the death bug:

-male engi
    -lvl1
    -veteran
    -act1
    -headcrab set to passive

I hope this helps XD I hate to blame the girl, but that female engi doesn't like to arrive home after blacking out from a crazy adventure.
    Destroyer Mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =140834118

Don't forget, Phanjam has his own version too! His forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=46993&p=483784#p483784
  • mambamamba Posts: 40
    Anoka wrote:
    For you guys getting double bosses and loading crashes, perhaps it has to do with having "Blank's Landmarks" and "Extra Chunky", as they are already included in Unearthed Arcana, and the corresponding mods might be colliding in trying to override the layout that loads. ****, I even run Far East with this baby and I get the Eastern Vendors as well as the Bounty Board. (Even the Embercraft Event in Act 2 works). Also, its not the issue of having map mods, since Slacker's delightful, child friendly, "Corpslight" mod even works with "Unearthed". It is very likely map mods that have overlaps ("Landmarks" and "Chunky" are direct overlaps, so its awesome that they are already included).

Direct overlaps don't matter, depending on what you load last, either the map from Extra Chunky or from UA 'wins' and the other never appears.
    More comments:

1. I like the resurrection abilities added to various "priest" type monsters. It adds a nice challenge and makes target prioritization matter. However, I'm not so sure that they should be allowed to resurrect other priests. You can run into infinite loop situations where densely packed monsters may have multiple priests that resurrect each other faster than they can be killed and/or boss priests with deep health pools for which "kill it quickly to stop it from resurrecting the other priests" is not a realistic option. (Chain resurrection was an acceptable challenge in GW1 because resurrect skills were long casts and players had interrupt-on-demand skills available. In the TL2 environment, I think it may be too much.)

2. I love the shield turrets added to the war titan battle. They could use a description under their names for a stronger hint that they need to be targeted.
  • So would running this mod along side syngeries create conflcit or issues? If not what should be loaded first?
    mamba wrote:
    Direct overlaps don't matter, depending on what you load last, either the map from Extra Chunky or from UA 'wins' and the other never appears.

I actually don't find this to be true. I have many mods that affect the towns, and they all show up. (Far East, Unearthed Arcana, Corpselight). I have the Far East merchant, with the bounty board from Unearthed, and the servant that leads to the Corpselight mansion.

Don't forget, Phanjam has his own version too! His forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=46993&p=483784#p483784
    Anoka wrote:
    mamba wrote:

I actually don't find this to be true. I have many mods that affect the towns, and they all show up. (Far East, Unearthed Arcana, Corpselight). I have the Far East merchant, with the bounty board from Unearthed, and the servant that leads to the Corpselight mansion.

If two mods change the same file, you only get the changes of the one you loaded later. Your case is working because the mods use merge files and do not modify the same base file (i.e. the vanilla TL2 file). If they each added their change to the base file, you would only see the changes of the mod you loaded last.
    mamba wrote:
    Anoka wrote:
    mamba wrote:

If two mods change the same file, you only get the changes of the one you loaded later. Your case is working because the mods use merge files and do not modify the same base file (i.e. the vanilla TL2 file). If they each added their change to the base file, you would only see the changes of the mod you loaded last.

Welps, I'm not talking about the same file, I'm talking about overlaps. All the mods that I mentioned have overlaps (the town layouts), and they all coexist. For all we know darkpoulp could be having two bosses because he has "Blank's Landmarks" and "Extra Chunky". Maybe he should try unchecking those mods, since they could be messing with the dungeon layouts that are included in Unearthed Arcana. GUTS/TL2 can be very fussy, so I thought I ought to suggest something he might not have attempted yet. Also, Modloader order doesn't matter if they don't effect the same npc/boss/whateverobject.

Anoka wrote:
    Welps, I'm not talking about the same file, I'm talking about overlaps. All the mods that I mentioned have overlaps (the town layouts), and they all coexist. For all we know darkpoulp could be having two bosses because he has "Blank's Landmarks" and "Extra Chunky". Maybe he should try unchecking those mods, since they could be messing with the dungeon layouts that are included in Unearthed Arcana. GUTS/TL2 can be very fussy, so I thought I ought to suggest something he might not have attempted yet. Also, Modloader order doesn't matter if they don't effect the same npc/boss/whateverobject.

There is no such thing as overlaps, either it is the same file or a different file. Your 'overlaps' are merge files for layouts. Neither Blank's Landmarks nor Extra Chunky nor UA use that for the new chunks (as there is nothing to merge into, it is a new chunk, not a change to an existing one).
    So any 'overlap' between these three is on a 'same file' basis. Whichever gets loaded last, wins.

If because of the new chunk the same boss / quest would show up twice, it would already happen with vanilla and that one mod. Loading all of them does not change anything.

As UA includes the other two, with some small changes, there is no difference between loading all three with UA last and loading UA only.
    Well you can call it whatever you want, but there is no official term for it, so if there are mods that add different things to the same layout, I call it an overlap. Its a general use of the term, and it should be intuitive that I'm not talking about replacements (which you are). Dude, if the npc/boss/whatever is not the same, then loading last will not make something "win". Anyone who uses multiple mods knows that there wont be conflicts as long as the objects are not the same. Mod order only matters when they are replacing the same exact thing.

He had Fallen Guardian and Wraith King, two different bosses, which means that neither of them were trying to "win" in the modloader order.

What's the problem with having him try it out? If it works yay, if not, try something else. Either way, he doesn't need "Blank's Landmarks" nor "Extra Chunky", since they are already included in "Unearthed Arcana". He wouldn't have much to lose by just trying it out. You never know, and also he could always just click the boxes again if he really wanted to load all three.

two notes on dwarf fortress mystery portal:

1. died on level 2 and chose to respawn in zone -> ended up spawning stuck behind the "stairs up" object, had to use the stairs to get unstuck.

2. using said stairs took me back to the start of level 1 rather than the top of the stairs.

3. Scattered throughout the dwarf fortress background areas are banquet table things with burning candles on them. For a civilization that's been undead zombies for a loooong time, this is a bit odd.
  • Just for the record I've been playing around a bit with running both synergies and arcana together and techincally they will work "ok" together... there are some conflicts because both mods change some of the same things, such as globals.dat, boss health and a number of other things and whichever one loads first will override those values in the other mods... There seem to be fewer game breaking issues when running Arcana with higher priority, but either way there will be conflicts.
    Anoka wrote:
    Well you can call it whatever you want, but there is no official term for it, so if there are mods that add different things to the same layout, I call it an overlap.
    The official term is a merge layout. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean there isn't one
    Its a general use of the term, and it should be intuitive that I'm not talking about replacements (which you are).

I am talking technical terms, not replacement. If two mods include a file with the same name, only one of them will be loaded, TL does not merge them into one with the changes from both.

If a file is only in one mod, but not the other, its changes will not be overwritten by the other mod. That is all there is to it, cases that cause overwrites and cases that do not.
    Dude, if the npc/boss/whatever is not the same, then loading last will not make something "win". Anyone who uses multiple mods knows that there wont be conflicts as long as the objects are not the same. Mod order only matters when they are replacing the same exact thing.

Same object / thing = same file name

The content can be completely different
    What's the problem with having him try it out? If it works yay, if not, try something else. Either way, he doesn't need "Blank's Landmarks" nor "Extra Chunky", since they are already included in "Unearthed Arcana". He wouldn't have much to lose by just trying it out. You never know, and also he could always just click the boxes again if he really wanted to load all three.

Actually we do know, which is what I tried to explain...

These three include files with the same name, so they overwrite each other (or rather UA has the files of the other two). There is no mythical 'overlap' only files by the same name, so this is not the cause and won't fix it
  • Anyway, I will try to reproduce the bug this weekend.
    I guess there is no point in discussing it further except for the sake of the argument. Peace.

Also I totally forgot in my previous post: this mod is really awesome, thank you for your work Deezire.
  • This mod looks interesting, but where i can download it? cannot find it in steam workshop.

ah, nevermind. Found the link on the second post.
    When i select the mod it shows that it is compiled for outdated game version, is it supposed to be like this? or maybe there are newest version of this mod?
    mamba wrote:

I think you're just twisting around my words to try to find something to nitpick at. It now occurs to me that indeed you are now just arguing for the sake of it. I realize that you are pulling me down to your level, so I'm going to stop here and just have you PM me if you'd like to have a "battle" over TL2 knowledge.
    darkpoulp wrote:
    Anyway, I will try to reproduce the bug this weekend.
    I guess there is no point in discussing it further except for the sake of the argument. Peace.

Also I totally forgot in my previous post: this mod is really awesome, thank you for your work Deezire.

Darkpoulp you are right! Back to bug fixing like these posts were meant to be! I apologize to Dee for cluttering this thread! I expected a gentleman's discussion about some possible things to look at, but it has turned awry, and I slap my own tentacles for not seeing it sooner.

On a brighter note: I got Norsk Leiren in one of my playthroughs, and noticed that the shotgonne in there has become a unique! XD It really should have been one in the first place. (It seemed unfair that Ted Mosby's boots were unique, but MacReady's weapon wasn't lol). Thanks again for fixing a bunch of things that didn't make sense in vanilla, it is my main draw to this mod.

edited October 2013
    Anoka wrote:
    I think you're just twisting around my words to try to find something to nitpick at. It now occurs to me that indeed you are now just arguing for the sake of it. I realize that you are pulling me down to your level, so I'm going to stop here and just have you PM me if you'd like to have a "battle" over TL2 knowledge.

No worries, I am done with the discussion. Everything has been explained, continuing it will just go in circles now. I also don't think I twisted your words anywhere at all, but even if you think you can point a case out, I won't respond to it as this is getting nowhere.
    All I tried was to explain why your proposal is not going to make a difference (other than freeing up two mod slots), but somehow you never quite understood the explanation.

Basically the whole argument was

You: from loading multiple mods at once, I know that mods can add objects to the same layout file, so maybe that is the cause
    Me: this is not it, neither Blanks nor Extra use that method, they provide entirely new layouts

The rest was more details about mod files and when they overwrite each other and how you add to a layout instead of overwriting it.. i.e. providing an explanation instead of just making a blanket statement
    Anoka wrote:
    I slap my own tentacles...

Not in front of the children!
    mamba wrote:
    Now I know why I couldn't resist replying to you. You make up something incorrect, and then make it seem as if that's what I meant by my posts. Well, you can put words into my mouth all you want, but readers can still see what I've written. I hope that your needles policing of this thread doesn't discourage people from continuing to post bugfix ideas. For the last time, just PM me, this is a beautiful mod that deserves better.
    Chthon wrote:
    Not in front of the children!

****! I'd cover their eyes, but the suction thingies in my tentacles tend to attach a little too well. DX

Anoka wrote:
    mamba wrote:
    Now I know why I couldn't resist replying to you. You make up something incorrect, and then make it seem as if that's what I meant by my posts. Well, you can put words into my mouth all you want, but readers can still see what I've written.

Please show me (i.e. quote it and my wrong interpretation of it) where I interpreted something you said wrong or I said something that is factually wrong. It seems that you like to stay vague and make unsubstantiated claims without ever getting specific, which doesn't make it easy to counter what you are saying with specifics (by now I have a feeling that this is intentional, as you just keep on doing it every time).

From my understanding your claim and my reply has always been
    mamba wrote:
    Anoka wrote:
    Welps, I'm not talking about the same file, I'm talking about overlaps. All the mods that I mentioned have overlaps (the town layouts), and they all coexist. For all we know darkpoulp could be having two bosses because he has "Blank's Landmarks" and "Extra Chunky".

There is no such thing as overlaps, either it is the same file or a different file. Your 'overlaps' are merge files for layouts. Neither Blank's Landmarks nor Extra Chunky nor UA use that for the new chunks (as there is nothing to merge into, it is a new chunk, not a change to an existing one).

Which is exactly where we are still at and what I summarized as
    mamba wrote:
    You: from loading multiple mods at once, I know that mods can add objects to the same layout file, so maybe that is the cause
    Me: this is not it, neither Blanks nor Extra use that method, they provide entirely new layouts
  • DeeZireDeeZire Posts: 255
    Guys would you mind taking the debate to a PM? No offence intended but the thread is almost hijacked and it would be better all round if it was restricted to updates, feedback and bug reports :)

Thanks!
    Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion
    viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57897
  • Hi DeeZire!

First I want say that I find your mod great. So good that I can't play TL2 without it. Also so good that it's not a regular mod - I mean it's like I'm playing Runic original
    dev. quality affair and vanilla. There is no overconfidence to me in label of expansion for your work.

Note, I'm sorry english not my tongue, I try my best!

Some little problem bugs that still:

- For me is really bad that when teach pet the spell, it not show rank. I mean rank is up but it not says Rank 1 or Rank 3. It empty; that place. This is for them new spells
    in UA and them spells that not mod available also. Spells that don't have Rank is OK, like Web. Because of this I feel impure and wrong so I not teach my pets spell, or I
    teach and see it not say Rank and unlearn him. Then I weaker overall and; since I play HC; this contribute I dead and my pets dead and game over. Please fix this for authentic
    feeling. If I remember, when I teach myself (Embermage guy) vanilla spell, it Rank OK; but when teach new expansion spell, then same thing happen as pet, not show rank (damage
    increase or whatever good, just display not Rank progress) so this problem also.

- Other bugs other people said and you said you fix them (like when take portal for TL1 dwarf castle sometime teleport appear in middle mobs - this bad for HC thanks for fix
    this) and then you find bugs yourself so you fix also fix them Ranks spell problems and very good overall!

Bonus bugs (not important just perfectionist):

- This is Runic bug, not sure you can fix. If fix then bonus great. In the Act I, there is the plains area (big thing not the snow one). There is Totems - them bears like to
    camp and hangout sometimes around these, sometimes sleeeping by them also. Now sometimes random these are clickable, bears hides loot in them, meaning it appears as Totem
    write in ALT mode hold to view stuff like chest, rocks, etc. But when you click nothing happens, also when you try weapon smash or spell destroy, nothing happens too it's
    bugged. If can fix this to them drop golds or stuff, or if cannot make them not spawn as clickable. Runic never fix this since release, so can be hard stuff, but no big deal
    if impossible.

- In Act I, in the big snow area, a guy in limbo ask you to prove your merit. When this not crash the game, this guy want as a quest to kill things that are not available in
    this area. This is inconsistent with the rest of the game, feels bad. One thing is maybe make spawn those infected freaks in the snow when accept quest from him, or make him
    lower his request to beasts available in surroundings. But anyway this not so important, I just mention.

I want to say thanks for great mod, but also because I understand lots of hard work in this, so OK if you release and say I've had enough of this lol, but you continue to
    upgrade, so thank you for this too.

Bonus praise: When the Act I bounty got buffed, Empire ask me to get rid of spiders in the snow. I was like OK, I get there, kill some dangerous spiders, then I was like hmm I
    feel like squashing the little vulnerable spiders that you can decimate by stepping over and lol it counts for the bounty, this is small detail but it's great, your mod has
    many, so yeah the mod is success :).

Disclaimer: I hope I can be understand, I use two dictionnary because many times Google translate is bizarre results, forgive my mistakes. Also I use latest UA version and no
    other mods than UA, bugs is real.
    DeeZire wrote:
    Guys would you mind taking the debate to a PM? No offence intended but the thread is almost hijacked and it would be better all round if it was restricted to updates, feedback and bug reports :)

Thanks!

Will do Dee! Again sorry for cluttering the thread, and sorry I failed at luring him to PMs (he really wants to keep it in here some reason).

Anyways, I've handcuffed mahself and I promise not to slip out unless I've got a bug or suggestion (thanks again for the ratlin consideration XD).

*Slides off into the sunset... shade, shade is better*

• DeeZireDeeZire Posts: 255
    I think I've fixed the spell rank issue with pets, that is if I understand it correctly. As far as other issues go, I'm pretty sure I've nailed those as well so I will upload another update soon which has a couple more fixes and improvements.

@Ntitled - the bear totems is not technically a bug, it seems intentional by Runic, there's a special event with bears near the totems that appears randomly and in this event only you can attack the totems like other interactable objects for gold.

I'm uploading another mod in my Miscellaneous Musings thread, again one that I was going to include in Unearthed Arcana - this one adds more Shrines including a very good replication of the Enchantment Shrine and also stat shrines that do not appear in the game (permanently increase a stat by 1 point).
    Unearthed Arcana - Torchlight 2 Expansion
    viewtopic.php?f=48&t=57897
  • I just can´t join to MP games with it, or create and let friends join. I tested it with friends i usually play, and after try everything, we just realized that with the MOD on we are just unable to see each other game...
    Is that just me, or is the MOD still giving some known trouble to work on MP? Thxxx
  • JacKcJacKc Posts: 80
    Just a post to say now i can't play Torchlight II without your mod (except for testing FE Expansion Pack 2 MOD)...I do not have the words to tell you how I'm grateful for creating this mod and I look forward to future updates.

Best regards,
    JacKc.
    2qnlQog.png
  • I second that, definitely my fav mod...including my own :D

Thank you so much for making this awesome mod.

All my issues with playing this mod were on my computer only. I bought a second copy of Torchlight 2 (only had Runic, bought Steam version) and did a reinstall of my operating system just to play it :)

Yeah...it's THAT good.
    Been looking at your files a bit to see what conflicts there are with my mod and how to resolve them. While doing that I noticed that in NETHERIM_GLAIVE_CHAMPION_JEHANNUM_NOMINION.DAT the <STRING>TEXTURE_OVERRIDE: is truncated.
    I believe I am using the latest version (38).
  • Hey, loving your mod so far!

Although I have run into 2 bugs on ACT I:
    -The warbeast lair dungeon entrance traps you if you try to exit it, making you transfer back in once you try to move away from the entrance. The only way to escape it is to use a Teleport Scroll.
    -The WayWatcher\WayMaker (not sure of the name) in the Frost Hills makes my game crash when I click on it and the ghost appears.

Also, I'm a bit curious, why isn't this mod on Steam Workshop?
  • Can you make the Mysterious Portal Scroll part of this mod, standalone?

I really liked it. :roll: