looking for early game EQ engineer tips

kuhchungkuhchung Posts: 72
edited March 2014 in Engineer Discussions
Hi guys,

I've played a lot of Outlander and Zerker, and recently decided to start getting into Engineer.

I have the game paused right now on Regent. This fight is going AWFUL. How do you level up until 42? Currently I have 5 points in FF (feels absolutely useless), 5 points in FH which I kite and spam with, and the rest is like, 1 Supercharge, 1 Coup de Grace, 4 Heavy Lifting, 1 Charge ****, a bunch healbot.

Is there something better I could be doing? Am I just mismanaging my charge? I tend to make 0 charge forcefields, autoattack on weak stuff, and otherwise spam FH.

Edit: Should mention that I'm running HCE I guess

Comments

• Okay I won after a grueling affair, but would still love tips.
  • max forcefield, it gets exponentially better.

max healbot, starts amazing and retains status quo throughout the game.

5 in FH if you are planning on going EQ seems like a waste of points to me. I went with 1 in FH that I respecced every 3 levels so I could get rid of it completely when I got to 42 and maxed seismic slam.
  • I'm not really looking for skill building tips, unless I am doing something horribly wrong. My forcefield is maxed at 7 points or whatever and still does almost nothing. This is not helping me reach 42.

I don't think 5 points in FH are wasted, because if I don't have even that, I will die before reaching 42, or quit out of sheer f*cking boredom.

I put up forcefields with charges every once in a while, and while I'm happy with the extra absorption, sometimes I just run into not many mobs and the duration just runs out. It also makes me a little reckless. I like to spend the charges on FH instead, but maybe this is bad thinking.

Maybe I should try sword and board? Ugh.
  • maybe you should lower the difficulty if elite is too hard for you rather than being frustrated enough to make a thread topic to complain about it, seeing as you just stated you are not interesting in build advice.
  • Thanks, very helpful.
  • GraeystoneGraeystone Posts: 1,545
    kuhchung wrote:
    Hi guys,

I've played a lot of Outlander and Zerker, and recently decided to start getting into Engineer.

I have the game paused right now on Regent. This fight is going AWFUL. How do you level up until 42? Currently I have 5 points in FF (feels absolutely useless), 5 points in FH which I kite and spam with, and the rest is like, 1 Supercharge, 1 Coup de Grace, 4 Heavy Lifting, 1 Charge ****, a bunch healbot.

Is there something better I could be doing? Am I just mismanaging my charge? I tend to make 0 charge forcefields, autoattack on weak stuff, and otherwise spam FH.

Edit: Should mention that I'm running HCE I guess
    The problem isn't 'How do I spread my skill points until Level 42?" its 'How do I take advantage of the Respec Guy until level 42'?"
    After you clear Echo Pass and reach the Enclave, go to the Respecer and buy back all skill points.(Should be 3 - Two through leveling + Starting Skill). Now this is important - Put two points into whatever skill you want BUT NOT FLAME HAMMER. Put the last point into Flame Hammer. This is very important. The respec person will only respect the LAST THREE SKILLS that you picked. If FH is ends up being knocked of the 'last three list', you lose any vanilla/legitimate way of gaining that point back! This is why the point must be put in FH last so its spot in the buy back list is always guaranteed. Now continue on with your game. When you level up again you will have a choice-
    You can put the new skill point into a skill or you can go back to town and buy back the FH skill, put that point into your chosen skill thn put the remaining point into FH.
    Keep doing this cycle until Level 42 when Emberquake is unlocked. Buy back the point in FH and put it in EQ.

Some other things about this method-
    1) There is a charge for respecing after character level 7-8. It will get pricy by level 42.
    2) You can buy back the FH and put it into Emberhammer or Onslaught when those skills are unlocked. Just follow the same instruction and make sure they are the last skill chosen(1 point). However their respecing price is higher than Flame Hammer.
    3) You can put three points into FH(must be done last with three points) or the other offensive skills that I mentioned. As long as you pick three and only three points into one offensive skill last, you can do the same cycle until Level 42. However this really gets expensive when buying those three points back.
  • Oh my **** I know how to juggle skill points. I put 5 points in Flame Hammer because having fun early is important, and 5 points spent in Flame Hammer is NOT GOING TO BREAK MY BUILD.

I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong early game that this is so difficult.
  • Try one point in spider mines. They home in on the targets automatically and you don't have to get too close to dangerous situations. The damage is not too bad.
  • BaronBaron Posts: 127
    Greetings.

At low level, I mainly focus on having a decent +life (drops and/or merchants can provide) and socket my equipment with life regeneration. Once you reach enough of this (at the end of act1/beginning of act 2, blood embers give 15.6life/s, it doesn't seem much, but get 5-6 of them and it'll be like you are constaltnly drinking potions), the early levels become much simpler.

Healbot also really helps. As you have probably noticed, the concern so far is not about doing damages but about surviving long enough to deal them. Health regen + healbot + potions (+ forcefield in your case) should provide what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.
  • pKonepKone Posts: 4
    kuhchung wrote:
    Oh my **** I know how to juggle skill points. I put 5 points in Flame Hammer because having fun early is important, and 5 points spent in Flame Hammer is NOT GOING TO BREAK MY BUILD.

I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong early game that this is so difficult.

In spite of the fact you appear to ask for help so that you can Snap at the people who offer it, I will throw down some advice :)

First of all, I only play HCE... started with it. Learned a lot the hard way ;) Also, I almost always play engineer, because it suits my style!

Fun IS important, and I like FH. I am trying to build without FH, because I hate waste and once I hit lvl42 and Emberquake becomes an option, then I would have 5 points in FH that do nothing but hang out playing cards and reminiscing about when they used to be relevant. To me that is a full tier of waste!

As such I am having a lot of fun Seismic Slamming my way up! Stun, swing, Coup de Gras, watch them burn etc...

If you are dying on HCE then I can almost guarantee you are not using FF to its maximum potential. I picked up a shield and kept FF maxed and I have basically stopped dying :)

Consider that on Elite it is just a matter of time before something hits you for 2x your hp or you get mobbed. FH won't help you much. Stun (for crowd control), shield to block at least 1 in 4 hits and a FF that can absorb a bunch of damage will.

IF however you must have a 2-handed beastly weapon (I totally understand that and I have a build doing just that) and you want to Flame Hammer your way to lvl42, then practice your kiting! If you stand still too long on elite, you WILL DIE. Not If, but WHEN. FF really helps there as a shieldless option, but Flame Hammer keeps your FF from being fully charged.

Best of luck and play it your way!
  • 5-pointed flame hammer seems to me not bad, even if you're stepping up to emberquake later. But I found one thing that works with flame hammer: body disposal. That is right, you can destroy most corpses with it. Found that out with my mostly-STR build.

I know it's been a while on this post but I should add something. You need a stunning method (esp. if you are shielding) and two things come to mind: seismic slam (radial AoE) and shield bash.

Why do I say shield bash as a stunning method? Not only are you getting mobs stunned you're gaining charge out of it too. Charge that can be used on your forcefield or flame hammer.

One-point ember hammer. You'll need a shieldbreaker. Because nothing is more annoying than monsters that block your hits.

And don't be afraid to use gunbot. It may be weak early, but gets even better with points. But prioritize forcefield and healbot first as they'll need to be up as consistently as possible.

Getting to 42 is a slow one but once you get there, everything changes. Emberquake and Immobile Copter. Emberquake first, obviously.
  • kuhchungkuhchung Posts: 72
    Came back to this game after a long time.

I was annoyed by the responses because they think that having 5 points in flame hammer is useless. I have zero interest in min maxing and just want something playable throughout.

I'm at 45 just fine now. The change I made was this:

Abandon FF until much later when it actually becomes good
    5 points in flame hammer
    TAKE SEISMIC SLAM ****. I had been planning to use Tremor (seduced by the tooltip) but it is just not available early enough.

I see that altermaven gave that advice much later. I would have appreciated it much sooner :P