Torchlight Linux bug countdown

ScrewtapeScrewtape Posts: 166
A while ago in a different thread I tried to make a list of all the bugs I could think of in TL1; that thread has been locked now, so here we go again:

- Characters' faces disappear when their wear a hat (or if they have hair).
- The game often takes two or three attempts to start, crashing with "BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)".
- Missing wall-texture in one chunk of the Estherian Ruins (although I still think that's a Mesa bug rather than a Torchlight bug)
- Likewise, crash when clicking 'stairs down' on level 19.
- Mod support doesn't work
- Start the game with character A shown on the title-screen; load character B then open the Options menu and change any setting that "requires restart". Character A's save-file will be destroyed, without a backup, replaced by a copy of character B's save-file.
- If you have a weapon and enchant it until it gets disenchanted, it'll have 0 dps. If you leave it in your inventory and restart the game, it will be back to its original base dps (is this a bug in the Windows version too?)
- Mouse-wheel zoom doesn't work

Of the above problems, some have been fixed:
- "Missing faces" was fixed in the May 2013 release of the game
- Crash entering Level 20 was fixed in Mesa, in early October 2012.
- Missing wall-texture in one chunk of the Estherian Ruins seems to have been fixed sometime between Mesa 8.0 and Mesa 9.1; at any rate, it's fixed now.

Comments

• Screwtape wrote:
    - The game often takes two or three attempts to start, crashing with "BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)".

Might not blame the game for this. At least for me this only happens with the r600g driver, it's working fine on my Intel (i965) system.
  • It happened for me when the game first came out and I had Intel 965 graphics (a Core 2 Duo), and it still happens for me now that I have Intel HD4000 graphics (an Ivy Bridge i5 something or other)

Does your i965 system have multiple CPU cores?
  • Screwtape wrote:
    It happened for me when the game first came out and I had Intel 965 graphics (a Core 2 Duo), and it still happens for me now that I have Intel HD4000 graphics (an Ivy Bridge i5 something or other)

Does your i965 system have multiple CPU cores?

Interesting, I'm on HD4000 too (i7-3520M) with two cores. Are you running Mesa 9.2?
  • Nope, Debian's still on Mesa 9.1.6.
  • 9.2 has been available from experimental for some time if you feel like testing.
  • I'm generally reluctant to install things from Experimental because, well, if the package maintainer doesn't think it's stable enough for the repository named "Unstable", I'm not sure I want it on my system. However, I gave in to curiosity and although it's definitely improved, it doesn't seem to be fixed—in my brief testing, Torchlight launched correctly four out of five times.
  • Aw, too bad. I have launched it ten times in a row without problems and thought it was fixed on Intel.

Do you get a crash or do you get a BadDrawable error?
  • The same BadDrawable error as always.

I wonder if this might be fixed by rebuilding the game against the latest version of SDL2, which has reached its first, official stable release since Torchlight was ported.
  • Thanks, I've updated the bug at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55951