[TUTORIAL] Basics of Wardrobe Rigging in Blender.

Kva3imodaKva3imoda Posts: 977 ✭✭
edited November 2013 in Art and Sound
This tutorial is written for people who already know how to use Blender and have basic skills.

Well, let's start and do something cool. :)
For example, we take an idea ​​"swords behind back". I chose this wardrobe-armor and this sword.

3d2MHhXl.png

Part I. Preparation
1. I created the new folder for our work and copy necessary files:

3a5Bh7el.png

2. Open the material-file(HUF_MEDIUM_D.MATERIAL) and write correct textures. I do this for usability 3d models, but this is not necessary, and then keep in mind that the model could be without textures (rather there will be the white texture - NULL_01.DDS).

C4Jf3cRl.png

Wardrobe models have many parts and each has its own texture.

For example:
HuF_medium_D/Chest
HuF_medium_D/MidArm - HUF_MEDIUM_D_CHEST.PNG

HuF_medium_D/Thighs
HuF_medium_D/MidLeg - HU_MEDIUM_D_PANTS.PNG

HuF_medium_D/Forearm
HuF_medium_D/Hand - HU_MEDIUM_D_GLOVES.PNG

HuF_medium_D/Calf
HuF_medium_D/Foot - HU_MEDIUM_D_BOOTS.PNG

HuF_medium_D/Helmet
HuF_medium_D/Pauldrons
+ all Ex- parts (EXHand, ExForearm, ExMidArm, ExFoot & etc) has EXtra texture - HU_MEDIUM_D_EXTRA.DDS

There are some variations on this, but I wrote a basic version.

3. What we've got. Before / After.

h2BxCtrl.png

Now Blender. ;)

Part II. Import models in Blender. Preparation swords.
1. Import armor.
AEy5Fqwl.png

ddiVb6Nl.png

2. Import sword.

B14mzw5l.png

Before I imported the sword, I renamed it GREATSWORD09_SMALL.MESH to GREATSWORD09.MESH, because the texture and material have the same name.

3. Create desired shape of swords. Here is necessary skill to work with 3D models, but it's pretty simple. :) Remember, move and rotate the model need only in Edit- mode.

qEBP7CDl.png

Now we have everything we need.

Part III. Basics of Rigging.
1. Our choice - Chest, Shoulders or something else?
When you decide to add a new element, you must choose which part of the armor it will be attached. If it is any part that has a standard texture(*_chest.png, *_pants.png) - will need to remake this texture. If we choose a Ex-part - we need to make a new texture, or not to make. Our armor (MEDIUM_D) does not have ExChest, so I will make a new piece of armor. And I just renamed my "Swords" in "ExChest" and now I can use a separate texture for this part of the armor.

E6UXifD.png

Jyy84VCl.png

2. Skeleton. Pose mod.

What is "skeleton" you can read here: Building A Basic Low Poly Character Rig In Blender. We already have a skeleton and there is no need to create a new one. But you should have a basic knowledge of this, what is "Pose mod" and how to enable it.
If you chose our skeleton huf_heavy_d, then pressing ctrl+tab and you will get Pose mod. Switch Display mode (display area on the right) in "Sticks" - for convenience. Note that there can also choose to display names of bones. Try to rotate (R) bones and see what happens with our model. Always remember the key combination ctrl+z - this is the most important thing in any work. ;)

MudLHAEl.png

3. Start rigging our "swords".

Now we need to add to our "swords"(ExChest) new modifier. See image.

6eVdPgQl.png

You must select "Armature".

L7tjAXKl.png

Then rename this modifier to MyRigModif(this is a standard name for all Wardrobes in the game).
Select Object: huf_heavy_d - this is our skeleton to which we attach our ExChest.
Put a checkmark - Bone Envelopes.

nvx9nPUl.png

3. Weight Painting.

Weight Painting - this is the most boring thing in 3D-modeling. :)
What it means "Weight" and what it means to "Paint" you can read here: Building A Basic Low Poly Character Rig In Blender.

Here, we need to switch our ExChest in "Weight Paint"-mode. (ctrl+tab). At the same time, our skeleton must be enabled in Pose mod.

6GD1QfSl.png

Choose a bone 'Bip01 Spine2" to which we bind our ExChest.
(In fact, each vertex can simultaneously bind to the three bones. But we are doing a simple rigging for "solid" swords. Our swords will not bend, flex and always have the same shape.)
The blue color indicates that this bone does not affect our ExChest. Take a look and learn how to look other parts of our armor in this "Weight Paint"-mode.

VxabFcLl.png

Let's start to "paint". The image shows a different "weight" gives a different color.
In area on the right we got a new "Vertex Group" - this thing stores information(vertexs weight) about how our mesh attached to a bone.
(You can switch Viewport Shading press Z-button)

71uIIAYl.png

You can paint all vertexs manually but I'll show you an easy way. So as we do a simple rigging, it is enough to make our ExChest had the same weight = 1. Switch back to Edit- mode and we see that our "Vertex Group" looks different.

XvjMdBwl.png

Select all (A) and click "Assign". Now, all our vertexes have the same weight=1 and are linked to one group.

DmJ0MSsl.png

Jw8wDgVl.png

4. Test.

Rotate bones as we did earlier in "Pose mod". It looks like everything is working. :)

Ej04XCLl.png

1iPDd7Yl.png
And we have completed Part III. Our "swords" are attached to the skeleton. :)

Part IV. Completion. Again choice. Export.
1. Finishing Touches.
We move our swords into position and rotate them a bit.

wnLykkAl.png

Vyo79Rvl.png

Now everything is ready, we can export our model. Hooray! :D

2. Export. Choice again.
Before exporting the model, make sure that you do not have unnecessary elements (such as a "Сamera" and a "Lamp" - just delete them). Then select all parts - you can press "A"- "select all" (but it does not always work correctly and often when you export you can get an error) or do this manually (Shift + LMB) by clicking each part in the list (always works correctly).

awQb1MCl.png
27gf4HVl.png

And ... Oh, wait, what about choice? :)

Our model is ready, but we need to choose what we want in the end.
We have the following options:
a). To break(replace) the Old model (HUF_HEAVY_D) - just export our model with the same name.
RVfPr5t.png

b). We are making a new model (simple version) - export model with a modified name. (for example: HUF_HEAVY_DS, where the letter "S" - meaning "sword.")
nIEF6Hm.png

c). We are making a new model with a Unique name - then a little harder. For example, we have a new character class Bladerunner and want to make armor for this class - HUF_BLADERUNNER_03. Then we need to rename all parts in our 3d-model, including the skeleton.
und1XWel.png

z1QcPoU.png

3. Ending
After exporting the model, you need to change the material-file. And let's rename the texture of the sword in a more appropriate name. GREATSWORD09.DDS -> EXCHEST_SWORDS.DDS
a). HUF_MEDIUM_D.MATERIAL
material HuF_medium_D/ExChest
{
	technique
	{
		pass
		{
			ambient 0.588 0.588 0.588
			diffuse 0.588 0.588 0.588
			specular 0 0 0 0
			emissive 0.4 0.4 0.4
			texture_unit
			{
				texture EXCHEST_SWORDS.DDS
			}
		}
	}
}

b). HUF_MEDIUM_DS.MATERIAL
material HuF_medium_D/ExChest
{
	technique
	{
		pass
		{
			specular 0 0 0 0
			emissive 0.4 0.4 0.4
			texture_unit
			{
			}
		}
	}
}

c). This variant more difficult, first you must copy HUF_HEAVY_D.SKELETON and rename it HUF_BLADERUNNER_03.SKELETON
Rename all textures: HU_MEDIUM_D_*.PNG -> HU_BLADERUNNER_03_*.PNG
Then take(copy) HUF_MEDIUM_D.MATERIAL and use it as the base material file for the new model. Rename HUF_MEDIUM_D.MATERIAL -> HUF_BLADERUNNER_03.MATERIAL.
Open in Notepad and change ALL of this material HuF_medium_D for this material HuF_bladerunner_03
Should finally result as follows:

HUF_BLADERUNNER_03.MATERIAL
material HuF_bladerunner_03/Chest
{
	technique
	{
		pass
		{
			specular 0 0 0 0
			emissive 0.4 0.4 0.4
			texture_unit
			{
				texture HU_BLADERUNNER_03_CHEST.PNG
			}
		}
	}
}
material HuF_bladerunner_03/ExChest
{
	technique
	{
		pass
		{
			specular 0 0 0 0
			emissive 0.4 0.4 0.4
			texture_unit
			{
			}
		}
	}
}

4. And the result.
I chose variant b). Red underlined files - these are files that I added to show the TestNPC.

w7EXKLM.png

In various Mesh Viewers, our model differs. It looks like the "old" Dusho`s Mesh Viewer not correctly show our swords.

7bItQm5.png

With this model you can make NPC. But it requires a little work with textures.

4vTtE84.png

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ypxjuGk ... e=youtu.be
4ByzPdz.png 88pn2UZ.pngtrCrfep.png

Comments