Torchlight II for Playstation 4 or Xbox one? Runic?

JorlenJorlen Posts: 25
edited November 2013 in TL2 General Discussions
Hey guys.

Love your games, played them on PC and on xbox (TL on XBLA).

Now, I know your current stance on porting Torchlight II to xbox 360/PS3 is out of the question due to hardware limitations.

What about next gen consoles that are right around the corner? The PS4 is supposed to have a very friendly indie release system, and I think the xbox one will likely have one to match.

Diablo III seemed to sell over a million units on consoles (if not more). Wouldn't it be worthwhile for Runic to port TL2 to the new consoles? While I realize that hardware limits aren't the only factor, surely the time spent porting it and reworking the controls (of which Runic now has experience with since TL on XBLA) would be worth the rewards?

While I obviously don't speak for everyone, I'd certainly buy a copy of Tl2 on console even if it was $60. I would love a developer response if possible.

Comments

• gold163gold163 Posts: 4,852
    mac port first
    cxNEL.png
  • BrianWBrianW Posts: 2,310 admin
    No plans to do a console port.
    BrianW
    Community Manager // Mr. Nice Guy

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/runicgames
  • JorlenJorlen Posts: 25
    Thanks for the response, as unfortunate as it may be.
  • I'm not a mouse + kb fundamentalist, I sometimes use the XBox controller for stuff like Dead Space and Mark of the Ninja. However, I don't see how TL 2 could ever work with a game controller given the amount of hotkeys that need to be utilized.
  • OmnifasOmnifas Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭
    SweatLaser wrote:
    I'm not a mouse + kb fundamentalist, I sometimes use the XBox controller for stuff like Dead Space and Mark of the Ninja. However, I don't see how TL 2 could ever work with a game controller given the amount of hotkeys that need to be utilized.

http://www.torchlight360.com/

They already accomplished the feat once before.
  • turnipzturnipz Posts: 1,308
    Does Steambox count as a console?
  • Omnifas wrote:
    SweatLaser wrote:
    I'm not a mouse + kb fundamentalist, I sometimes use the XBox controller for stuff like Dead Space and Mark of the Ninja. However, I don't see how TL 2 could ever work with a game controller given the amount of hotkeys that need to be utilized.

http://www.torchlight360.com/

They already accomplished the feat once before.

True. True.
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭
    turnipz wrote:

^this
    ItfooQF.png
  • PokeyPokey Posts: 1,031
    turnipz wrote:

Interesting question.

I think we first have to define what a console actually is. The lines between PC and console are so blurred now, there's practically no difference, all I can think of is the inability to upgrade a console.

****, even the ease of use a console used to famed for is degrading. You can't just slot a disc in and play a game anymore. All I see are PC's, and inferior boxes trying to be PC's, can't be good for the industry really. Steambox is something else entirely, I don't know whether the internals can be upgraded (if they can, it's a PC), they're offering different spec boxes which is something a normal console doesn't do.

You just know the console guys are going to profiteer on this in the future, with 'upgradable' bits for your console which will cost 300% more than your average PC equivalent. It's coming, guys (they have even been doing it with HDD's for years now, I think the profit margins on those would make me feel sick).
    “WITH A FEW SMALL MODIFICATIONS, ANY CANOE CAN TRAVEL THROUGH TIME!!!”

Dirty.gifPensive.gifFlirty.gif
  • KilliousKillious Posts: 1,539
    Well considering you can build your own "Steam Box" with parts you assemble and choose yourself then I'd say that it's definitely a PC. I think one of the defining things about what makes a console a console is the strict adherence to specifications in order to ensure that all users get the same experience across the board. The official Steam Boxes will just be a set of pre-assembled PCs that Valve will endorse in order to promote their new OS and, they hope, make Steam/Valve the centerpiece for your living room.
    Sig.png
    Please Don't Feed The Trolls
  • Is there plan for any new official content to the existing TL2 game?
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭
    GoosePants wrote:
    Is there plan for any new official content to the existing TL2 game?

Considering the last 'official/unofficial' content was released by the devs as mods, I'd say no.
    ItfooQF.png
  • JorlenJorlen Posts: 25
    I swear if they'd release this with controller support for Steambox, I'd buy a steambox just for it.

And no, using controller emulators doesn't work because the interface is designed for keyboard and mouse.

Torchlight, Sacred 2 and even Diablo III have all been released for consoles and all serve to prove that with a controller, these games function very well, and are arguably more fun to play than their kb/mouse counterparts.

Imagine if the Steambox got released with a game like Torchlight II and native gamepad support? It would do well to bolster the steambox's launch. But, I don't think it will happen based on Runic's responses.
  • gameqb11gameqb11 Posts: 975
    This genre needs to be played with a gamepad. I tolerate k&m, but feel action games are more invasive and fun using a controller. D3 actually plays better on ps3 when it comes to gameplay.
    Yay, TL2!!!
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭
    gameqb11 wrote:
    This genre needs to be played with a gamepad. I tolerate k&m, but feel action games are more invasive and fun using a controller. D3 actually plays better on ps3 when it comes to gameplay.

No this genre usually plays better with K&M. DIII is better for the consoles since they focused more on offline single player mode. DIII on the PC would not be so bad but they had to focus on lag and latency and with that comes usually pretty screwy gameplay mechanics such as monster can sometimes still hit you with a melee attack from one side of the screen to the other. Also so many of the defensive movement skills have huge cooldown timers. If they lowered those or removed those than the combat flow would be great.
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
  • gold163gold163 Posts: 4,852
    gameqb11 wrote:

Disagree. People said the same thing about first-person shooters. The only reason why you might think the genre plays better with one control method than the other is because the genre has gradually shifted towards adapting it. If someone shoehorned gamepad controls into Diablo or Diablo 2, the game would still be unplayable unless it was redesigned from the ground up -- interfaces, combat, interactions, everything about the game that makes it suitable for mouse and keyboard. Possibly including how the inventory system works, which defined a lot of Diablo's pacing and player decision-making.

Look at the Elder Scrolls series. It used to have a click-and-point inventory system that was common for the genre and worked well with mouse and keyboard. Now everything is menu-based and organized linearly and it feels absolutely horrible with kb+m.

The only reason why you could possibly think gamepad would be better for the genre is because you played the console version and assumed that it was the same game as the PC version. It really isn't. The physics, menus, etc. and all aspects of the game were changed to suit it. It is not the same game, it is not the same genre. Playing Torchlight 2 with an Xbox controller hack should demonstrate this. It's not an action game; it's an action-RPG, and while the RPG elements are noticeably lighter in a game like TL2 they're still there and the reason why they work well with kb+m is because of years of operating on that standard. Neither one is necessarily "better", they provide different experiences and it makes no sense to equate the two.
    cxNEL.png