Shield-focused Engineer.

altermavenaltermaven Posts: 57
edited December 2013 in Engineer Discussions
I got it. A shield-based engineer would work wonders if I actually included some other form of crowd control. Mind you, being able to bash away monsters is a good idea, BUT one problem remains: you can actually bash monsters into inaccessable areas, forcing you to ditch these monsters.

15 Shield Bash
15 Fire Bash
15 Emberquake (or) 15 Seismic Slam (or) 15 Sledgebot [if you prefer utility]*
15 Forcefield
15 Gunbot
15 Healbot
15 Fire and Spark
15 (insert anything else here, maybe from above? or Immobilization Copter 15)

1 pointers: Onslaught / Storm Burst, Charge Dom, Charge Recon

Excess points to ?

123 points.
*Can also use Spider Mines.

This time Forcefield is included not only because of the damage absorption, but the knockback resistance. Very important to have!

Vitality: enough for high block, 60%-75%.
Focus: Majority of points here
Strength: At most 100 so you can at least have a decent weapon.
Dexterity: Not really necessary unless you want more Crit, but limit building on Dex here, get via items.

All I need is input on what would work best with the fill-in spots. Throw me some suggestions. Emberquake may work best if you want to be aggressive. Spider Mines if you want utility.

Spells would have to involve Blocking (duh!) in the mix. Animal Handling on you if you use spider mines or sledgebot, but otherwise give it to your pet. I prefer Haste as a mobility skill to get places. The last one (or two) could involve Treasure Hunter, Willpower and Adventuring (for leveling).

For your pet it's up to you, but I suggest Heal All VI, to complement your healbot. I never ran into Fully Heal Self/All, but that's useful too.

Suggestions always welcome.

ORIGINAL POST BELOW:

15 Shield Bash
15 Fire Bash
15 Gunbot
15 Fire & Spark
1+ Sword & Board (Not sure as I'm going for shield-focused fighting but could be useful for % mana steal)
15 Healbot
15 Immobilization Copter
1 Onslaught (Escape Move if overcrowded) or 1 Storm Burst
1 Charge Dom
1 Charge Recon
possibly 10-15 Forcefield, depending on #3's answer

94 points.

Now, I am wondering about the setup so I have these questions:

1.) Does + Physical Armor iron embers affect shield defense if placed in the shield?
2.) Will Fire & Spark work with Fire Bash's DOT?
3.) I'm playing an aggressive engineer. Shield Bash will cause stunning, so will optional Coup de Grace work if I bash a stunned monster? (Add 10-15 points.)

If 3 is yes,
4.) What should I reallocate so I can have points for other things, i.e. Forcefield?

5.) Should I allocate points to other things? If so what should I trim?

EDIT: wow my maths is off very bad. 94 total points which gives me some flexibility..

Comments

• opsayoopsayo Posts: 26
    i'm not super knowledgeable but i know these two for certain: always max out forcefield, and don't put any points in sword and board
  • Alright. I also did a test-out with Coup de Grace, and it doesn't proc if you bash a stunned monster, it ONLY works if you use weapon attack. One point won't hurt though if you're starting out since you could bash to stun, and let the autoattack handle it.

I heard something about going Focus if you're using fire bash because of the fire damage, but at 25, I assume it is still early to start building on it?

EDIT: Working with Fire Bash now, I have noticed one thing: the DOT that Fire Bash provides does NOT stack. So, essentially, you're just reapplying the damage and duration every time you use the skill. Nonetheless, I sense that this can be useful for crowd control considering what a charged Fire Bash can do. But for single targets, it's using both FB and SB. Since at 40 I got rank two on SB (10x damage from shield defense); I've been really using SB to build charges for FB and forcefield, and just SB the higher-life monsters.

EDIT 2 12/3/14: Forcefield is a lifesaver in many areas. Also you don't need a charge to proc fire bash, you'll still get the same DOT but less physical damage and shorter range. But still nice to have that DOT on your targets. So here's my current setup:

11 Shield Bash
    11 Healbot
    11 Forcefield
    10 Fire & Spark
    10 Gunbot
    1 Coup de Grace (will drink a respec to kill that, it's not needed anymore)
    3 Sword & Board (same)
    1 Charge Dom
    1 Charge Recon
    9 Fire Bash
    1 Onslaught
    2 Sledgebot

71 points, Level 53, Prestigious fame level.

I made a mistake in pointing Sledgebot, the AI is hesitant to attack monsters. I think it is better off for ranged combatants. Also, + Physical Armor on shields boost the damage potential of Shield Bash / Fire Bash (Iron embers tend to have this stat, and some skulls). Like I said, I'm going to ditch some skills since they aren't necessary and save the points for where it is needed most.
  • opsayoopsayo Posts: 26
    Was there a specific reason you wanted to use the shield skills for damage over say emberquake or flame hammer?
  • I am basically using the shield as a means of offense AND defense, in this build, while having some means of backup such as my pet slinging spells or my gunbot. Granted it is actually more difficult than originally thought, since you're practically using the Fire Bash DOT as a primary means of damage, and the shield bash as a primary charger / secondary damage dealer.

In this case it's practically MANDATORY! to have your healbot up at all times since it can restore mana for you, but sometimes I do run out of mana and have to wait until the next pulse to bring me back up (or use a mana pot).

I can imagine needing a different secondary while I wait for the DOT to finish up.

All in all, I am starting to get blocked in terms of how I do damage, not how I control the character, and he's 78.

Now suppose I want to ditch a skill for a secondary, say Flame Hammer. What should I really get rid of to help me get through?

(Also I forget the max number of points you can possibly get, forgive me! :P)

EDIT: I just got through NG+ with the engineer on this setup. Being able to have that knockback resistance from FF and the shield nullify all knockback made it easier for me to get rid of the Alchemist. Netherlord phase 2 was more or less a hit-and-run tactic with shield bash and fire bash, but you get the point.

I am thinking of redoing this guy but with more Focus-oriented setup than Strength. It'll let me do more damage. But I'll press on and assign Focus to the rest of my levels. He is 81.
  • I got it. A shield-based engineer would work wonders if I actually included some other form of crowd control. Mind you, being able to bash away monsters is a good idea, BUT one problem remains: you can actually bash monsters into inaccessable areas, forcing you to ditch these monsters.

15 Shield Bash
    15 Fire Bash
    15 Emberquake (or) 15 Seismic Slam (or) 15 Sledgebot [if you prefer utility]*
    15 Forcefield
    15 Gunbot
    15 Healbot
    15 Fire and Spark
    15 (insert anything else here, maybe from above? or Immobilization Copter 15)

1 pointers: Onslaught / Storm Burst, Charge Dom, Charge Recon

Excess points to ?

123 points.
    *Can also use Spider Mines.

This time Forcefield is included not only because of the damage absorption, but the knockback resistance. Very important to have!

Vitality: enough for high block, 60%-75%.
    Focus: Majority of points here
    Strength: At most 100 so you can at least have a decent weapon.
    Dexterity: Not really necessary unless you want more Crit, but limit building on Dex here, get via items.

All I need is input on what would work best with the fill-in spots. Throw me some suggestions. Emberquake may work best if you want to be aggressive. Spider Mines if you want utility.

Spells would have to involve Blocking (duh!) in the mix. Animal Handling on you if you use spider mines or sledgebot, but otherwise give it to your pet. I prefer Haste as a mobility skill to get places. The last one (or two) could involve Treasure Hunter, Willpower and Adventuring (for leveling).

For your pet it's up to you, but I suggest Heal All VI, to complement your healbot. I never ran into Fully Heal Self/All, but that's useful too.

I should copy this up above as a means of update, so everyone can see my progress! :P But I want more suggestions.