[VH-HC] Ironman Contest

Comments

• jackxjackx Posts: 139
    Steady progress, cleared the 3 sisters, not much useful loot though (the new armour barely has more ac and buffs than the old one). Still, my current damage output should see me through another lvl or two. No phase portals so far...
    Saving up skillpoints for lvl 10, and because I'm unsure where I want to put them (can't respec later, so I'm undecided on Doomquake).

rage02_lvl8_small.jpg

My sympathies to all those with worse luck than me - I'm sure my fortunes will reverse soon enough.
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    there shall be... no peace
    no peace!
  • locklere wrote:
    No go on the dungeon merchants -- total self-sufficiency or bust! (If dungeon merchants were allowed, people could stockpile potions from a single merchant, and it would kill the challenge.)
    Yeah, I figured as much. I just wanted to make sure that I won't have to spend the rest of my life in regret for walking away from the merchant selling 2nd level health pots right before Brink.
  • locklerelocklere Posts: 255
    edited November 2009
    There's no doubt anymore: there is a ****, and he hates me.

I'm level 5, and have found a unique bow and a unique rifle. Yet I'm currently at Brink, and still using two white 40-damage weapons.

EDIT: You know that "no summon spells" rule I posted? Just found Summon Zombies I. Oh well, at least my dog is really good at casting Silence I when nobody's around.

FML.
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
  • locklere wrote:
    There's no doubt anymore: there is a ****, and he hates me.

I'm level 5, and have found a unique bow and a unique rifle. Yet I'm currently at Brink, and still using two white 40-damage weapons.

Pretty awesome, huh?

EDIT: Level 6 with no Magic Find, and I've found 4 uniques... helm, rifle, bow, and polearm... pretty crazy.

I just got a unique wand off of Brink... fml.
    Just beat the Overseer, and got this:

overseery.jpg

Currently level 11. Decided to put 2 points into Doomstomp... anyone know how viable it is around 20-30?

Edit: I keep running out of potions, then I fight bosses and have to kite them for 10 minutes each... it's getting really tedious... not so much fun anymore. Think I may transition this guy to regular VH-HC. If anyone else gets to ~10-12 range, please let me know your thoughts on how the gameplay goes.
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
  • chemchem Posts: 18
    locklere wrote:
    Edit: I keep running out of potions, then I fight bosses and have to kite them for 10 minutes each... it's getting really tedious... not so much fun anymore. Think I may transition this guy to regular VH-HC. If anyone else gets to ~10-12 range, please let me know your thoughts on how the gameplay goes.

Annnnd this is why I did my first ironman run NOT on VH. I correctly assumed the gameplay would essentially be broken unless you're using handed down mega enchanted items from pre-enchant-nerf chars.
  • FINALLY some luck. I just picked up my character where i left him a few hours ago and the first thing I killed gave me this:

11112009_233852896.png
    I wouldn't say that gameplay is broken, it just stops being casual and forces you to really take all the advantages you can get - not being lazy at all, like you'd be on normal VH/HC, where you'd be willing to take some low-dmg hits just for the sake of killing a bunch of mobs fasters, for instance...
    Of course, bad luck with drops will ruin any Ironman, but that's simply how it is.

Progress report on Rage: lvl 9 now, heading down to the overseer. Should hit 10 (and another fame lvl if I'm lucky) before I take him on, still totally unsure what to dump the skill points into. Nothing exceptional in the equipment department, I did find EP I though, but it's largely useless. My resistances are low with and without it, and subsequently, casters, particularly large groups of casters are quite annoying, when I was attacked by 5 or 6 directly at the level entrance, I had to use 3 health potions in rapid succession... :x
    Otherwise, I'm fine with just basic Heal I, as between the Undead being slow anyways and Entropic Aura, the only mobs that hit me are skeleton archers.

rage02_lvl9_small.jpg

Says I used 3 portals in the journal, not sure why. I mis-clicked on a TP in my inventroy once (was right next to the ID scrolls), so that opens 1 portal... in any case, as you can see from the gold, I've not bought anything beyond the 3 initial pots.

Edit: Typo in the image URL
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    no peace!
  • So I came across this thread last night and decided to give it a try!

First attempt went very bad and I was promptly owned on the second floor.

Anyways, my second attempt has gone a lot better (still in progress). Managed to pick up Heal All 1 on 1st floor and gave it to my dog, helped a TON. didn't really have to use any potions until fighting Brink.

Have had some pretty good luck with drops, currently have.. 10 gold items, 6 of which I use. Lucked into a gold polearm around floor 11-12

Currently level 13 xp 7 fame entering dungeon level 17 (Starting to fight the lizardmen who are hitting VERY hard lol)
    current.png?t=1258031751

As far as strategy goes
    -Always keep up Shadow Armor and Entropic Aura (I have SA at 4 and EA at 1) these 2 skills are pretty crucial, you are going to have a hard time without them
    -Earlier on i used Titan Stomp quite a bit but now I mostly just use my Slash Attack (rank 1)
    -For elites I usually kill everything around them, then run around them in a tight circle with SA and EA up so they are unable to hit me while Shadow Armor and my dog take them down. If they are too fast or a type of elite that can hit me anyways I just burn them down with Slash Attack and use pots.
    -I have most my skill points in Martial Expertise, Armor Expertise, and Shadow Armor

If you want to see all the SS i took and uploaded you can go here http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/sharpdeck/Gorst%202%20VH-HC/?action=view&current=11122009_061701035.png

EDIT: .... not 10 minutes after posting this I died... stupidly too, ugh, maybe i'll try again later lol
    Killed the overseer, had to chuck quite a few mana pots to keep the slash spam up, but it was a relaxed affair.
    As you can see, it yielded decent loot, so I'm feeling ready for the sunken ruins now.

rage02_lvl10_small.jpg

Put a skillpoint into stampede, mostly as a "get out of dodge" emergency move, the move distance is too short to use it to skim around the edges of a pack of enemies...
    Still sitting on 3 skillpoints, not sure where to put them yet.

@Sharpdeck: Sorry to hear your guy bought it, seems you had a really good run up to that point. Caverns are tough, though, mostly those stupid ember-breath trees...

Edit: URL typo yet again. Maybe I should switch to copy+paste...

Edit #2: The rules say no fishing, but what about finding fish? I thought about bringing this up earlier, but since it'd just have been hypothetical, I waited until it actually happened.

fishy01_small.jpg fishy02_small.jpg

Now I know I'm not going to use the pet transforms on principle, but some of the other fish (like +xp gain, +%block for a limited time, or even +1 attribute) are really tempting - so what's the official stance on this?
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    no peace!
  • jackx wrote:
    Edit #2: The rules say no fishing, but what about finding fish? I thought about bringing this up earlier, but since it'd just have been hypothetical, I waited until it actually happened.

As far as I'm concerned any of the fish you find should be allowed. As long as your aren't fishing them up, then they're no different then any other loot in the game.
    I didn't know that you even could find fish. But yeah, if they're able to be found without any mods etc,. go for it.
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
  • locklere wrote:
    I didn't know that you even could find fish. But yeah, if they're able to be found without any mods etc,. go for it.

They can only be found in that one particular hidden setup on that tileset, but when you do find them there, they always seem to be some of the more valuable fish.
    Cleared the first portal in the sunken ruins, quite tough tbh, as I'm lacking in damage output. Damage range on the enemies also seems extremely great, I've had everything from 250 to glancing blown from both pygmies and trees without criticals.

rage02_lvl11_small.jpg

Not looking forward to the other two, mostly because I'm sure this will repeat in the next two glyphrooms as well. Those caster uniques are annoying - fast, hard-hitting, with knockback and debuffs.

gotrush_small.jpg
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    no peace!
  • jackx wrote:
    Cleared the first portal in the sunken ruins, quite tough tbh, as I'm lacking in damage output. Damage range on the enemies also seems extremely great, I've had everything from 250 to glancing blown from both pygmies and trees without criticals.

Not looking forward to the other two, mostly because I'm sure this will repeat in the next two glyphrooms as well. Those caster uniques are annoying - fast, hard-hitting, with knockback and debuffs.

I'm in the exact same situation as you. I just finished up portal number one and it didn't go all that well. My resistances (particularly poison) are much too weak, so if i **** up and take just one or two hits from any of the casters I have to use an hp pot. On top of that, my dps just isn't carrying me through this tileset like it did for the last one. I'm finding myself burning through more potions and time on individual champions here then i spent on overseer just a short while ago >.>

If I don't pick up some solid resist gear I expect to be thoroughly raped by the upcoming elementals.
  • S3Xmagik wrote:
    jackx wrote:

I'm in the exact same situation as you. I just finished up portal number one and it didn't go all that well. My resistances (particularly poison) are much too weak, so if i **** up and take just one or two hits from any of the casters I have to use an hp pot. On top of that, my dps just isn't carrying me through this tileset like it did for the last one. I'm finding myself burning through more potions and time on individual champions here then i spent on overseer just a short while ago >.>

If I don't pick up some solid resist gear I expect to be thoroughly raped by the upcoming elementals.

Yeah it starts getting pretty tough at this point, you really have to lure monsters away from the champions and take them alone, and things can crit up to 400-500 so you really have to keep your hp high.
    The next tree boss guy can be defeated without using any potions by running around him in circles with Shadow Armor up though (after you kill all the elementals that is)
    I'm not too worried about elementals. Shades are much worse, remind me of a room full of cb-spamming mages... :x

Grabbed the 2nd glyph, was a tedious affair, but despite the subpar gear, I'm actually increasing my reserves of potions. This time, I got rushed at the regular portal, not the glyph room - what a refreshing change. I did find Draining Touch and Frost II, but I'll give myself a break from this before I start experimenting with those - enough TorchKite for now, especially those **** trees.

rage02_lvl12_small.jpg
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    no peace!
  • chebuoichebuoi Posts: 121
    tip: at the beginning, go to the cemetery, some gold will drop out for extra potions
  • habbeyhabbey Posts: 137
    jackx wrote:

Says I used 3 portals in the journal, not sure why. I mis-clicked on a TP in my inventroy once (was right next to the ID scrolls), so that opens 1 portal... in any case, as you can see from the gold, I've not bought anything beyond the 3 initial pots.

Edit: Typo in the image URL

i did an ironman (not this particular challenge) and accidentally opened a tp scroll once. When i checked my stats screen it also said 3 portals used, couldn't figure it out.

moral of the story? your not alone
    Got the glyphs, now it's time for the boss...

rage02_lvl13_small.jpg

Frost II is really useful, speeds up killing a lot as it roughly doubles the amount of hits I can get in before I have to dodge. Not really a solution to my low DPS though, I need to find a decent weapon or two (that sword in my inventory requires lvl 14, but is also only 160-ish DPS, so I won't waste a skillpoint in weapon mastery for it).
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    no peace!
  • Alright here I go, wait let me read the rules again.
  • alright, im dead...clvl2
  • anyone trying with anything else than a Destroyer?
    trying a staff wielding melee vanq atm, tried a melee alch before that but he got killed at the sunken temple tileset.
    (vanq lvl 9 so still trying to save pots and get lucky on gear for the sunken temple thingy, it's usually **** in there as melee when not playing destroyer :( )
  • VenomVenom Posts: 52
    This is ridiculously hard, but also incredibly fun! I've tried this 5 times now...highest I got was to dungeon level 3, character level 5. It's just so hard as my PC lags sometimes and it's very easy for me to get swarmed. What I really love about this is that ANYTHING you find that you can use is really a valuable treasure. Fun stuff. :) Makes the normal game really boring though. :(
    Cautious - 1 Destroyer VH HC Ironman
    RIP VH HC Ironmen:
    Alchemist: 0
    Destroyer: 1, 5, 6, 9, 9, 13
    Vanquisher: 0

Killed the ruins boss... that fight was actually pretty easy, as his flame breath seemed not to hit me at all, and he mostly used that attack. I was standing on the broken stones, as seen in the screen, maybe that had something to do with it...

rage02_ruinboss_small.jpg

Getting to the boss was hard though, I ran into a tree unique right at the portal, then a pygmy unique a bit later. Elementals were also nasty, needed about 1 potion for each, and they'd almost 1-shot me with crits, despite full health. The Tu'Tara aren't that bad, their charge hurts, but can be avoided. Other than that, Frost makes relatively short work of them.

On into the caverns I go... wish I were lvl 15 already, that'd give me FS...
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    no peace!
    jackx wrote:
    Killed the ruins boss... that fight was actually pretty easy, as his flame breath seemed not to hit me at all, and he mostly used that attack. I was standing on the broken stones, as seen in the screen, maybe that had something to do with it...

rage02_ruinboss_small.jpg

Getting to the boss was hard though, I ran into a tree unique right at the portal, then a pygmy unique a bit later. Elementals were also nasty, needed about 1 potion for each, and they'd almost 1-shot me with crits, despite full health. The Tu'Tara aren't that bad, their charge hurts, but can be avoided. Other than that, Frost makes relatively short work of them.

On into the caverns I go... wish I were lvl 15 already, that'd give me FS...

Looks like you're doing really well -- could you post your skills, and what you plan on doing with them?
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
    I guess I'm doing ok... progress is slow though, and gear is average at best. I just keep a very detailed record - because I'm enjoying it, and because it keeps me honest. :)

rage02_lvl14_small.jpg

Skills (at clvl 14)
    Slash 1; DualWield 3; Stampede 1; Adventurer 5;
    Titanstomp 1;
    Shadowarmour 3; Aura of Entropy 1; Armor Expertise 4

1 skillpoint left in reserve

There's no overall plan, other than to get FS... the rest depends on what I find in terms of gear/spells.
    So, on with the killing, other than the stupid Ember trees and their bad breath of doom, I should be ok... which brings up the question - do breath attacks count as projectiles? Because if they do, my fairly high reflect might come in handy here, too (helps a ton with the casters and the archers in particular. Dodging arrows is pretty hard, even compared to dodging the seeking bolts).
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    no peace!
    Grmbl, must've taken a wrong turn somewhere on dlvl 17. Gotta head down to 18 now, and all I got is a fame increase (couple of easy uniques), but still quite a bit away from clvl 15. :/
    Should've paid more attention, sticking to the Ironman rules can be done without shooting oneself in the foot like this.

rage02_lvl14b_small.jpg

Edit:
    And that's that - death by ember tree invisible breath spam. I'd dodged the breath attack, then ran back in when it was over - or so I thought. Despite there being no visible breath attack anymore, I suddenly started taking heavy hits in rapid succession. Pretty much instant death, not sure if I got a potion off or not, but it wouldn't have made a difference. At about 2 hits/second, 400-500 each, I was done.
    Too bad it had to be a bug that got me, and that close to making clvl 15 too, but that's life - or in the case of HC, permanent death. :twisted:

rage02_dead_small.jpg
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    no peace!
  • RensjeRensje Posts: 28
    edited November 2009
    I'm going to steal locklere's format for reporting my exploits because I just totally love his style. Kudos to you, mate.
    I've played through the game once now, using a Vanquisher on softcore Hard difficulty. I had some trouble in places, but decided I want to give this a shot regardless.
    ---

Grissom's Journal: Torchlight, Day 1

As I woke from my deep slumber, I realised that my fated day of ascendancy had finally arrived. Today I would venture into the Orden Mines and far below, seeking fame, fortune and master Alric, an alchemist of renown whose mysterious disappearance has caused great unrest amongst Torchlight's denizens. All my life I have roamed the lands, hunting down petty criminals and clearing giant rats out of cellars; this was my shot at glory, at being someone. I would return to the surface with master Alric, or die trying.

1torchlight.png

Approaching the mine I found two fellow heroes locked in combat with a group of vicious-looking rat men. My blade, dulled by the plentiful combat it had seen over the years, still served it's purpose. My battle-hardened canine companion Sniffles and I jumped to the aid of our fellow adventurers and swung away at the monsters, who soon lay dead at our feet. Brink, the toughest looking of the pair, hurried after the fleeing rats into the mine, in search of his former master. Syl, who seemed to me to be a sorceress of some skill, was wounded from the battle and asked me to waste no time and follow Brink down into the Ember Mine to see to his well-being. I obliged, bade her farewell and stepped into the darkness.

A chilling sense of foreboding came over me as I ventured deeper into the mine. Uneducated in the art of magic though I was, I too could sense the essence of Ember lingering in the damp air of the endless torch-lit corridors. All the miners had fled or lay dead somewhere, left behind because the rat and spider infestation had gotten completely out of control. Before long I had some run-ins with a number of them and I was humbled by their strength and ferocity; one-on-one they were no match for me, but their sheer numbers made up for that.

I skirmished some more with the rat men and then, by chance, I happened upon an item of interest. A spear, infused with the magical properties of Ember, not unlike the impressive weapons Alchemists would sometimes wield. I picked it up and scrutinised it, trying to understand exactly what magical effect was infused on the blade. I grasped it firmly and swung; a bolt of lightning shot out from the tip of the blade and smashed into an oil lamp hanging from the ceiling, covering the tunnel in a cloak of darkness. However, a smile bright enough to light the entire mine shot across my face as I came to realise just how well this weapon could serve me. I hadn't even been in the mine for an hour and already I had come away with a weapon more powerful than any that I had ever wielded in my life.

1weapon1.png

Perhaps there was still some fun to be had in this deathtrap dungeon.
    ---

To be continued.
    &$@*!&# elemental doused mah Torchlight!
    Rensje wrote:
    I'm going to steal locklere's format for reporting my exploits because I just totally love his style. Kudos to you, mate.

Yours was a pleasure to read -- looking forward to further updates, & good luck down there!
    [VH-HC Emberknight]