[VH-HC] Ironman Contest

Comments

• BourrpifBourrpif Posts: 121
    Here i go! I feel quite lucky for now cuz the 4 boss i fought for now gave 3 bleus i could use, including 2 quite awsome DPS swords and a belt. So for now I keep going quite confident even if i've a quite low armor.Brink, I'm coming :P
    So i'm trying to take advantage of the drops by taking 1 point in dual wield, 3 in slash and 1 in entropic aura.
    I'll forever remember the mimic i fought on early Ilvl 2 with 2 "glancing bow" white weapons...i could give it the most 5 damage-a-slash without crit...epic 5 minutes to down the **** thing and 2 of my 3 potions! But doing quite well since this **** chest and when i found my first sword the whole thing was slightly easier. here are the pics:
    ironmanclvl5stuff.jpg

Strange thing it says i've completed 4 quests...anyway i'm a quite drunk,don't remember all but think I didn't completed any, just go down and down and again dwn...to the death! Oh well...let's continue anyway.Here my heroe journal.
    ironmanclvl5journal.jpg

To be continued!I hope so!
    P.S: The first time I play Ironman, i feel it extremely fun! I know i'll die soon but it'll be difficult for me to go back the old way!
    WASAAAA
  • locklerelocklere Posts: 255
    Glad everyone's having so much fun with this -- keep it up, and good luck! It's all about lucky drops and careful potion use.
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
  • ****, got to lv6 with my vanquisher, then entered a phase portal... too many enemies and far too fast.
    RIP Katrina.
    Torchlight - VH/HC, always. :D
    Ok, I was doing pretty well on Dlvl 7 and killed my first phase beast...

oopsaphaseportal.jpg

I got the ruins tileset, It was a real pain,I had two reeeeeal near death with some Thorned Riders crits. All in all I had to use half my heal potions (11 i think) and found nothing valuable... a unique rifle still lies on the ground there... but i survived and the chalenge continues...

phaseportalsuccess.jpg

Just then, I had a real hard time whith a construct boss and had only 6 health potions left.The boss dropped me a green 8 life steeling sword and thanks to a good micro-management, i could keep myself alive in the next lvl without using any pot 8-)

In the end I killed the overseer having hard times with the adds, used no less than 11 health pots. As the pain continues, the shade dropped NOTHING interesting but a blue bow :shock:
    I'm very uncomfortable with this low armor and the Estherian Ruins will be a real challenge since i have mearly no poison resitst.
    I'm also running very low in identify and found only useless summon spells until now. The positive point is that on my gear i've got an averall +6% exp gain, witch allow me to lvlup a bit faster (lvl11 after the overseer). Decided to put a +3% increase magic find ring, hope it'll pay soon enough.
    BTW i'm going on a seemingly unpopular build since i uped :
    Slash Attack:3
    Dual wield:3
    Entropic Aura:1
    TStomp:1
    stampede:1
    Shadow armor:5
    killedtheoverseer.jpg
  • jackxjackx Posts: 139
    Nice run, and good luck with the ruins. :)

I can only recommend at least one point in Doomquake. It reflects like crazy in the small corridors in the ruins, so you can hit multiple times with it quite easily.
    Thorned riders can be kited safely with just slash, but it's so much easier with DQ, and it'll work on the uniques as well.

Also, no points in adventurer? That's more %xp gain, and better potions... (and even low numbers do seem to make a significant difference, you were 2 levels higher than my char when killing the oversee.)

Update on Keiler after breakfast, and stocking up on supplies for sunday.

Edit: Update time. Glyph room was surprisingly easy, just one caster unique, and no portal rush. Next floor wasn't that hard either, and I got a few good drops. Most noticeably my two new weapons, and a dull core ember from a mimic, so now I have +6 health/second on that other axe as a portable medkit of sorts (usually in my 2nd weapon slot).

keiler07_small.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with my skill distribution, though, I made some mistakes andI wasted a point on weapon mastery (miscalculation on what I'd need for an item :x) and one on Doomquake, which I could've kept at lvl 1. Not putting any points into equipment-dependant skills (DW, slash), because I don't know what I might find, and should I ever make it to clvl 20, I'd probably opt for SE, for the improved kiting ability.
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    there shall be... no peace
    no peace!
  • MadgorillaMadgorilla Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    Wonderful idea! Only way to make this game interesting to play really. Well, still alive, level 3, found some orange shoulders and a blue 1H weapon, also got them socketed -- weapon and shoulder. Also found an orange gun... Shame. Moving on...

Edit: Terminated at the boss, level 4 or 5, not sure. I suppose a lucky quantity of health pots would have helped. Conclusion: It's a fun challenge, but far too random. It's all about random drops. You need to reconsider the rules I think. Still more fun than the original though, as you can't fail there really, no matter what you do (only gotten to level 23 on VH though... but it's too monontonous to keep going, heh).
    Mo Stepped into the glyph room, was welcomed by 2 pygmy uniques and a bunch of shades. To make it worse, several of the latter were frost shades, so I had a very hard time dodging the massively damaging poison **** hurled by the uniques. Managed to take one down with a couple of pots, but then got slowed right in the path of another poison ball - nothing I could do, it was a critical hit and did over 1.3k damage (I had 1089 max health).

keilerdeath.jpg

I'll go and play some IB2 right now, not sure when I'll start another Ironman, but I definitely haven't had enough yet.
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    no peace!
    Hi! Back to business!
    Doing well in the 10th floor, but just wanted to show you spells I found so far from the begining! :lol:
    spellsfoundsofar.jpg

No luck Jackx, hope you'll go further next time :cry:
    Death is just a matter of time in ironman anyway ;)
  • DuendeDuende Posts: 35
    edited November 2009
    Well, I'm at it again, this time with War Machine.

I just killed Brink. However I'm not too proud of it, given that I used desperate measures given the **** equipment I've been working with. Anyway, I'm off to the Catacombs.

EDIT: Was killed at Floor 10 by a Pygmy champion.
  • chebuoichebuoi Posts: 121
    Bourrpif wrote:
    Hi! Back to business!
    Doing well in the 10th floor, but just wanted to show you spells I found so far from the begining! :lol:
    spellsfoundsofar.jpg

No luck Jackx, hope you'll go further next time :cry:
    Death is just a matter of time in ironman anyway ;)

Haha, nice spells you have :lol:
  • Yay! Melee vanquisher Katarina still alive. Beat the Overseer (annoying fight). On my way to the jungle!

So far needle arc has been my bread and butter. The initial damage is rarely effective but the dot... hmm... nice. Specially useful against shielded opponents. They die from it without me needing to get close. Using a slow 2handed weapon (1h and shield if I cannot hit the enemy, as in the overseer fight). I usually time my attacks to strike just as they enter range - needle arc is hella useful for this, with the slow down.

Been quite lucky with spells. Identify, Heal Self and Elemental Protection :shock:
    Well, here I go!
  • On my way to the second glyph, really, really hard. The jungle level is filled with fast enemies with long reach weapons (freaking spears!), making me play like a coward in order to survive. Dot damage takes far too long to kill anything and those freaking shamans are annoying. Haven't bumped into a single enchant station on this playthrough. Argh xD

And Torchlight crashed right after I entered the next room.

11212009_233541616.jpg
    Hi all! I'm not dead yet!
    I went through the ruins, having some freaky moments with those stupid spamming electrical orbs and in the end with two horrible ice elementals at the same time :shock: The tree boss nearly killed me too with a 900crit but could escape with a dodge to heal myself.
    I finally found a useful heal all spell 1 which is not heaven but allowed me to save some pots, a gunslinger unique helm i can now use with some +dex stuff combination: It has a cool +2%XP gain, +5% faster movement (very useful since I'm quite always fleeing!) and +4% armor. I made the choice to go with a +HP stuff more than max armor. Don't know if it's best but i feel it safer that way.
    My build until now is:
    Shadow armor: 6
    Ent aura:1
    Titan st:1
    Doomquake:1
    Slash attack:5
    Dual Wield:3
    Stampede:1
    Adventurer:3
    It took me nearly 50 min to go through the Dlvl 17, the first Tu'Tara floor. Most of that time spent to kill ember mycons without taking too much risks and those **** very fast giant tree boss it takes ages to kill with doomquake. I got 3 of them on that floor and found out with the last one that overslashing while using 2/3 heal pots use is in fact the best. It drops at least 4 potions so you can win them back and stop running in the whole level... I've got 26 big heal and 42 big mana pots and trying to keep it quite constant isn't easy with those stupid manasuckers-and-overpowbreathed Ember Mycons.
    I've found 3 uniques so far (i feel unlucky about this) and two of them were rifles the other is the helmet i talked about before; I found a correct but not gorgeous midas chain (rare amulet) i'll be able to use when i pop 15.
    Here are the pics!
    dlcl18clvl14inventaire.jpg
    dlvl18clvl14journal.jpg
    I think on next lvl, if i survive, i'll pump frost shield,then slash, then frost shield again.
    Wish me luck ;)
    Well just poped my lvl with a big spider boss and just after that found a harmelss phase beast through my way.
    I have reeealy bad fealings about this,since my gear is really much low-lvl relative than when i faced my first phase portal and it was already very hard then.You'll laught at me but i decided to stop playing for today and will enter this portal when I'm fresh and over-motivated to kick it'a **** off :twisted:
    The onely thing gives me a bit hope is the frost shield i just got from my 15th lvl and my bunch of potions. Hope this will be sufficient,but have serious doubts about it!
    destiny.jpg

I'll keep you informed on Ironmanu's destiny tomorrow!
    Hey;hey,hey! I'm back again!
    Guess what? That painy phase portal got me to the exact same tileset than the previous one: estherian ruins.Good luck here:
    i know it well and it's a quite short one.

enterportalswarmsurviva.jpg
    spamed titan stomp for the first pigmies enter-portal swarm. It was quite scary but nothing I could't handle though. Frost armor helped me a lot.
    gianttreedown.jpg
    A lot more surprising thing is that the onely boss i got was 2 giant trees (thanks **** no pigmie caster!).
    cutlifeamber.jpg
    Any more luck, this little chest dropped me a cut life amber gem :o I felt already lucky to have found a Life amber lvl one on a monster in the begining of the 18th floor yesterday and i have now a +23 poison resist on a ring which will probably be helpful.

All in all no uniques here but a correct greeny boots drop lvl 16 +5% faster movement i'll be able to use next lvl and a blue belt with fire resist i 'll probably wear if ever i reach the boss. I prefer my current one for now for the + dex allows me to wear my unique helmet and the very cool +133 health on it.
    beltsf.jpg.
    Note i used 5 health and mana pots in the portal which were replaced by giant ones, and had a little XP boost :lol:
    So here I go again, i'll keep you informed!
    I've got a question: just found a silence1 spell and wondered if I could give it to my pet.I definitely won't use it myself cause i'm already quite always short in mana, on it, it might be somewhat useful.
    Didn't find anything about this in the rules so what you guys think about pets spells? Allowed or not?
    Bourrpif wrote:
    I've got a question: just found a silence1 spell and wondered if I could give it to my pet.I definitely won't use it myself cause i'm already quite always short in mana, on it, it might be somewhat useful.
    Didn't find anything about this in the rules so what you guys think about pets spells? Allowed or not?

AFAIK the only spells disallowed are the summon spells. So silence is fair game. In your pet or on yourself. Not like it would take a chunk of the difficulty of this challenge.
    Duende wrote:
    Bourrpif wrote:

AFAIK the only spells disallowed are the summon spells. So silence is fair game. In your pet or on yourself. Not like it would take a chunk of the difficulty of this challenge.

Thanks for your reply i'll give it a try then and report about it efficiency (never used this spell from now).
    Hrmm, so you brought a pet - impressive run nevertheless.

Much respect also for the melee vanquisher.

Got my next dude past the overseer, I've decided that trying to stay alive is overrated, so up to lvl 10 he got a 4:1 (now going for 7:3) stat distribution and I put 2 more points in slash and 5 in DW. No shadow armour, just one point in entropy for defensive purposes, and it's actually working so far. No TS either, but I found Frost I quite early to augment my defense a bit. Gear is so/so, though I do have some decent +hp and +4%xp, and I did find a cool axe on the floor before the overseer.

noname01_small.jpg

We shall see how it goes in the ruins, but at least by playing aggressively like this, I got there significantly faster than before, and without too high a cost in potions.
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    no peace!
    All right, still alive on the very begining of 19th floor Clvl still 15. I'm starting to realise the whole thing I've accomplished so far.
    Despite my +10% exp gain i'm just 1 lvl above monsters still. The difficulty is as high as if I was in a permanant phase portal.
    This challenge makes me dive into **** itself and I become scared of every little mob I fight. Last floor didn't improve any of my stuff part exept some poison resist. I've still got 2 green 160ish dps weapons! The funny thing is I feel quite like i'm playing a horror game now, every step i take makes me come closer from my doom. Impossible now to keep a fair amount of potions from every little combat despite my extreme precautionous game style.
    Just a note about the silence spell on my pet: the dumbish creature quite always use it out of enemy range. But a couple of times it had a better timing, preventing Ember mycons from any doombreath and manasteal cloud. As they became harmless bunnythings I happily stampeded/slashed to grant them a swifter/quicker end :D
    floor19clvl15.jpg
    Well go back there, as always I'll keep you informed about this now extremely scary Ironman dive :shock:
    P.S: English is far from my native language so might you excuse my bad typo;)
    jackx wrote:
    Hrmm, so you brought a pet - impressive run nevertheless.

Much respect also for the melee vanquisher.

Got my next dude past the overseer, I've decided that trying to stay alive is overrated

We shall see how it goes in the ruins, but at least by playing aggressively like this, I got there significantly faster than before, and without too high a cost in potions.

I must now agree with you, as i think +slash/shift timing has been the key of my survival, not much protection cuz the entire purpose of Ironman is to try never-being-hit. Nevertheless I think you should put at least one point in Sh armor since its attack has a somewhat useful knockback/interrupt chance which often helped me.
    /agreed whith TS quite not useful but the onely time i used it (phase portal), the skill pretty much saved my life from a bunch of rushing-as-crazy 12 pigmy guys.
    Well yes I brought a pet but must say that the thing is fleeing at least 99% of the time. Must admit that it's useful though to distract monsters. I will probaly give an Imaginary pet mod Ironman a shot when i'm down with this char!

note: If i may allow myself giving you an advice is to stop dual-wieldling for a while, pump slash and take a shield:
    you found quite an awsome weapon and having a second dumb makes your dps to drop. Try to switch out your second weapon and look at your damage stat. Morever if you don't go Shadow armor it could block sometime.
    I'm quite sure of myself about the fact that dualwield isn't the good way to go if you don't have two same lvl weapons even if you've put some points in the skill. So if you will, just take this experience a shoot and tell me what you found out ;)
    The point of using Slash Attack is using it while Dual Wielding because it attacks with both weapons. So if you have two rusty swords equipped your lv1 Slash will do twice (?) the damage it would with only one rusty sword.

And jackx, I think I'm gonna try pure offense next too, since I think that reasoning makes sense: most of the time I'm shift attacking and pulling back, not using most of my defenses except Entropic Aura. Most of the use I get from Shadow Armor is the damage, not the blocking.
    I know that I'm gimping my normal attack with that 2nd weapon - but given the leech, that's actually beneficial. I only use auto-attack on targets that can't threaten me anyways, and then usually try to make sure I only hit them with the weaker weapon. More hits=more leech.

As I said, we shall see how it goes in the ruins, where most targets can't be kited well, if at all, with auto-attack. But then, my slash is quite murderous atm, so I should be fine.
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    no peace!
    Duende wrote:
    The point of using Slash Attack is using it while Dual Wielding because it attacks with both weapons. So if you have two rusty swords equipped your lv1 Slash will do twice (?) the damage it would with only one rusty sword.

And jackx, I think I'm gonna try pure offense next too, since I think that reasoning makes sense: most of the time I'm shift attacking and pulling back, not using most of my defenses except Entropic Aura. Most of the use I get from Shadow Armor is the damage, not the blocking.

thx, that's what i wanted to figure out. I decided myself to go +5str from now cause my dps at this point really ****.
    i've put one more point in slash and frost armor cause the onely two skills that keep me alive now.
    Running low in pots (13 heals) so don't know if i'll go much further with my now beloved toon.
    Well keep goind, all! Maybe combining our experience will one day allow one to go to the last tileset or even with great luck mabe win the game as an ironman, who knows? :lol:
    One question:myght be a stupid one but i've found a white 185 mace i can use to replace my old 150 greeny one but when i switch it, my damage output actually downs, maybe cause of my gear +35 to magic become useless to the bonus. Is the damage calculator trusty? I find it quite srtange since my enchanted 150 has just a +6 ice damage on it...
    Damage on your character sheet is damage per hit. So your 185dps mace probably does less damage per hit than the weapon it's replacing, but swings much faster.

I'd say if you're using Slash, you can ignore that, as Slash is all about dps - however, it might make a small and mostly negligible difference. I'm not sure how Slash works at all, other than that it hits harder with 2 weapons than it does with one. Sometimes you get one large dmg number for a hit (on a single target), sometimes you get two smaller ones, sometimes you get "blocked" and some damage at the same time. Sometimes, you seem to only hit with one weapon...

My guess it has to do with how hits are triggered based on animation, not something you should try with an Ironman ( or any HC char, really), but go and freeze a troll, then run into its attack after it has smashed the ground (works with constructs, too) - you'll get hit multiple times because the attack animation is now so slow. Yikes.
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    no peace!
    jackx wrote:
    My guess it has to do with how hits are triggered based on animation, not something you should try with an Ironman ( or any HC char, really), but go and freeze a troll, then run into its attack after it has smashed the ground (works with constructs, too) - you'll get hit multiple times because the attack animation is now so slow. Yikes.

Yes noticed that too since i cast regularly frost shock with the frost shield. Those trees seem to be harmless statues lowered by ice after an attack but they're not, have to wait a bit or get hit. Btw quite the same thing we're using with the slash animation to make ennemies crash their teeths on without getting hit...but with longer-duration-time due to slower animation.
    Keep that in mind will certainely be a good idea ;)
    Hi, it's me again! OKAYYYY, finally I completed the 19th floor within no less than 1 hour of real pain. I'm now going to face
    the Big Amber Strange Elemental boss. Well don't know if I even have a chance against it cause of my incredibly low damage output (still found no weapon better than these I had while i completing the last tileset! Found a bunch of great bows and wands tho :lol: ). The best is to laugh about it!
    I remember from my previous HC no ironman destroyer that this boss has a VERY devastating beam which then did nearly killed me, despite a huge elemental protection. Of course mine is quite ridiculous here (about 45+ in each,67 in poison. I choose to put my elemental prot gear in the cost of -overall health, don't know if it's a good choice,i'll maybe change it back during the combat). I'll try first to go cac and spam slash/heal potions, if I use less than half my pots when his less than half life then i'll go to the end like this;if not, I shall try a kite and run and take advantage of my overall +10% faster movement.

As always, here are the pics of my toon:
    beforebossjournal.jpg
    beforebossgear2.jpg
    Well, think it's time for me to go and face the **** thing!
    Haha it's DOWN!
    killemberboss.jpg
    I lured it to behind the bridge to get rid of ice orbs whose lower ability was really annoying. I think it was the right way to fight it since on cac it didn't use its spell/skills/abilities (including that beam witch scared me) and just stupidly kiked me away. Used 8 giant heal pots and 6 big mana and it was down quite quickly.
    As I noticed when facing him before, this boss don't drop useful gear but a bunch of various quality gems:
    i got 1 cut pure-ember, 1 pure-ember, 1 discolored core-amber, 1 dull cold-ember, 1 dull deep-ember and 1 cracked cold ember.
    Didn't decide yet if i'd keep it for later or not. I'll face the first few mobs in the next tilset to see if I need to use them right now or if i can wait for socket them in a more valuable gear.
    As I've been quite unlucky on drops in this whole tileset, the chance may come back and give me some at least decent weapons.
    I hope so but, oh well I think it's time for me to step down these stairs... :lol:
    Impressive. Nicely done. 8-)
    axtbenutzer.jpg
    no truth - no justice
    all false belief
    blinded by morality
    no peace!
    Lol! As I said before, my weapons still ****, I need 3-4 slashs to kill every single mob...what was my joyce when I discovered an enchant shrine that would up my sword :D
    enchantsword.jpg
    So without hesitating I put my best sword in it and guess which enchant I got...
    feelinglucky.jpg
    An AWSOME 10 armor degraded per hit!!!!Ok, it's not disenchanted so I must admit it could have been worse...1% chance but it could...I suppose that I'll have to rely on what i'm good at: running! for a bit longer...
    As nothing is all that bad after all, my girlfriend is having holidays in Spain, I have now an absolute faith in her fidelity :lol: