[VH-HC] Ironman Contest

Comments

• BourrpifBourrpif Posts: 121
    Keeping up some news, sorry to flood quite a bit but it helps me dealing whith quite a bunch of stress!
    This pic don't really need a comment, found this in a chest. :lol: at least, it's not a rifle...
    lawlh.jpg
    Btw i just got a double skill up i've put both into slash so I think the end of the lvl will be somewhat less hard. note i've found a magnificent white weapon to finally update the last one.
    Got another near-death experience whith a stupid burrower criting me at 1218 :shock:
    Haha this is awsome, keep going on!
    And this is where the story ends...
    ironmanudead.jpg

A timing mistake with one of those giant troll miniboss cost my toon's life.
    (came back to attack a bit too early, while his mace was still planted in the ground and insta-died).
    Whatsoever I got just the geek week end I wanted, while my girlfriend was away from me ;) I found the Ironman adventure very thrilling and entertaining. Quite happy to have cleared 22 floors with holy **** items,I didn't think it was even possible on VHHC.
    Sadly I have no pic of the journal just before i died but one of the gear. A bit more of 12 hours played i think, and was just half a lvl above enemies.
    Here is the last picture of Ironmanu alive (notice i had finally found a cool blue weapon I still could't use :lol:) :
    lastpicofironmanualive.jpg
    On conclusion, I think the overall +10% faster movement + entropic aura+ patience helped me a lot: Even rapid enemies almost never hit me, even the chargers.Onely ranged mobs were really dangerous.I feel slightly more skillful now and realise how brainlessly I played before facing that challenge :lol:
    I learned a lot here, figured out some mistakes made on my build I shall not make again like wasting too much points in shadow armor as in titan stomp you can easily get rid of.
    Hope I'll have someday enough time to create a new Ironman char cause I'm quite sure it's possible to reach the last tileset.
    Being able to clear the palace must be almost impossible with an ironman though.
    P.S:Despite what some has said, this challenge is definitely not only a matter of luck. Ok, my phase portals weren't the worst, and ok if you face Brink with two white weapons you're in bad shape; mean I don't want to polish myself (I had 13 more floors to clean after all!) but adaptation isn't an option and this is, I think, the most interesting part of it.
    So good luck to you guys who keep trying, be patient, be happy to play ;)
  • locklerelocklere Posts: 255
    I just had the worst-luck run I've ever done.

By almost level 3, I had only a green belt and ring drop. No weapon upgrades. I had 7 unused Identify scrolls, and I was mobbed by two trolls, a spider boss, and a ratlin foreman boss.

Splat.
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
    locklere wrote:

By almost level 3, I had only a green belt and ring drop. No weapon upgrades. I had 7 unused Identify scrolls, and I was mobbed by two trolls, a spider boss, and a ratlin foreman boss.

Splat.

Seems it wasn't your day. i think the begining is the most random part. cause once I had done it to lvl 15 frost armor, it was slightly easier, even with bad drops.
    Bourrpif wrote:
    locklere wrote:

Splat.

Seems it wasn't your day. i think the begining is the most random part. cause once I had done it to lvl 15 frost armor, it was slightly easier, even with bad drops.

Agreed -- time for us both to restart!
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
  • DuendeDuende Posts: 35
    If we can make it to lv20 and get Spectral Echo we might win this thing. I think the main difficulty is just getting good weapon drops.
    Duende wrote:
    If we can make it to lv20 and get Spectral Echo we might win this thing. I think the main difficulty is just getting good weapon drops.

Agreed. As some people have mentioned, this is very luck-based, and around level 17 the monsters nearly out-level you. I think I'm going to change the rules so that you're allowed to clear each level before moving down, as that would address both problems simultaneously without sacrificing the spirit of the challenge. Opinions?
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
  • UkaerUkaer Posts: 21
    Clearing the whole level won't help much, you're getting slightly more drops to hopefully get a better weapon, but doesn't mean you will. Come the last few levels and especially the final boss fight, if you didn't get a weapon upgrade you're most likely not going to be able to dish out enough damage for the damage your recieve. Seems like a drawn out excercise in luck more than anything unforfunatly. :(
    Ukaer wrote:
    Clearing the whole level won't help much, you're getting slightly more drops to hopefully get a better weapon, but doesn't mean you will. Come the last few levels and especially the final boss fight, if you didn't get a weapon upgrade you're most likely not going to be able to dish out enough damage for the damage your recieve. Seems like a drawn out excercise in luck more than anything unforfunatly. :(

Pretty much the entire game is random, so of course clearing the level doesn't mean you will get an upgrade. But it raises the chance, which is the idea, so I updated the main post to reflect the changes.

Hope it helps make it more enjoyable for everyone!
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
  • RugerRuger Posts: 6
    edited November 2009
    I ain't much of a forum posting guy, but I've been following this thread for a bit and got myself addicted to this Ironman thing, and I just had to post on getting probably

_THE BEST IRONMAN DROP EVER_
    uberironmandrop.png

For a start using any 2hander early on is AWESOME preferably a polearm because you can't slash with staffs, however you do get their awesome AoE elemental crit hits. You can kite so much easier with the extra range, those annoying 2hit spiders or cave trolls can't even touch you. Seriously even if your polearm is totaly inferior in dps to your DW weapons the range boost will mitigate a **** of a lot more incoming damage.

I got a 38 dps spear half way through the first dlvl and seriously never got hit by any monster until the above piece of awesome dropped on 2nd dlvl, I screamed through the levels like it was easy mode (read: hard), I'm sitting now looking at brink with a backlog of 27 healing/ 21 mana pots :D

I'll update if I survive, go go Iron Bob the 3rd !

Edit: Iron Bob III Insta-dead to stampede spam in black palace phase portal :/, Iron Bob IV is clvl 7 and racing through with his new Double Damage Axe!
    Wow, this is pretty crazy, but that JUST dropped for me as well... like, 30 seconds before I posted this. It was on the last monster before the stairs down to Brink. :D

Edit: Level 10, and going strong. At the Ruins now... not looking forward to the kitefest.
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
  • Just did the anoying caverns with my destoyer. I do play VHHC but not following the ironman path and still those ember mycons almost killed me.. respect to every ironman destroyer surviving those breaths.
    locklere wrote:
    Duende wrote:

Agreed. As some people have mentioned, this is very luck-based, and around level 17 the monsters nearly out-level you. I think I'm going to change the rules so that you're allowed to clear each level before moving down, as that would address both problems simultaneously without sacrificing the spirit of the challenge. Opinions?

I'm agreed with that.In addition I would say, I did clear every level with my last ironman. Not that I didn't respect the rules but now i know quite perfectly evry map chunk and can identify when I go in an "exit" one, so I could verify everything was down before "finding" and so stepping the stairs... :lol:
    About spectral echo, don't know if you noticed it but there is a time bug. the skill duration is ruled bye its cooldown, not by the time it's supposed to last: 10s instead of 30s. It upseted me with my last VHHC destroyer to recast every 10 s so I stopped using the skill. Did you experience the same bug?
    Hi, back to ironman with Ironmanu II and Ramses II as I feel completely addicted, playing even when I have a lunch pause :oops:
    It goes very well for me as i'm now in way to enter the third glyph lvl. Imagine the smile I got when identified this helmet the overseer dropped me:
    bigsmilea.jpg
    The helmet I beloved on Ironmanu 1st! Annoying 15 dex requirement but dont minded put 2*5 points in dex since really worths it, some rare unique gloves did needed dex too so the choice was quickly made.
    I decided to put all +% magic find i found, ignoring the other stats in the first two tilesets, Was worthy.
    Nearly didn't made it against brink though, ended the combat with just 2 health potions, found some back in the chests and coud go forward. early heal self and all and haste spells find allowed me to constantly up my pots number until that, more than that, I gave my pet a near ultimate frost 1 spell :D
    Got an easy phase portal again on lvl 8 (the one-room catacombs one).My low dps is slightly balanced by an awsome 80% missile reflect 50%damage that makes casters&ranged orbs not dangerous at all.
    glovesm.jpg
    journalq.jpg
    I'm on a very agressive stance build since for now:
    Slash:6
    Dual wieldling:4
    Adventurer:3
    Martial weapon expertise:1 (to use a sword cause the 10Th floor beginning was hard), might be useful later anyway.
    Sahdow armor:2 (made an error on cliking the second point...)
    Entropic aura:1
    1 def 1 magic, 3 str so far exept two +5 dex last two lvls to put the gear.
    yes, no doomquake, TS nor stampede for now but I'll put a point in TS next lvl since I assume a phase portal should have my skin in every other way.
    I'm aiming to go defensive spell +1 txo lvl later since I have 3 useful of these.
    'll keep you informed ;)
  • DuendeDuende Posts: 35
    Bourrpif wrote:
    About spectral echo, don't know if you noticed it but there is a time bug. the skill duration is ruled bye its cooldown, not by the time it's supposed to last: 10s instead of 30s. It upseted me with my last VHHC destroyer to recast every 10 s so I stopped using the skill. Did you experience the same bug?

It lasts 30s for me, and if I cast it again before the 30s, the damage stacks with the previous SE. So you can stack 3 times if you do it every 10s.
    Just finished a phase portal at level 10 with a double-strong ratlin foreman boss.
    /wipe away sweat
    Bourrpif wrote:
    Not that I didn't respect the rules but now i know quite perfectly evry map chunk and can identify when I go in an "exit" one, so I could verify everything was down before "finding" and so stepping the stairs... :lol:

This is another reason I changed the rules.
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
    Hi, just killed the tree boss and going down to tu'tara caverns.
    choicemagi.jpg
    As you see, found two good uniques but they need magic...don't know what to do since during this tileset I already pumped +10 dex to wear equipement. I'm scared that if i go magic now, the str won't up correctly and end having a really too slow dps for my lvl.
    The other thing I consider is that if I finally drop a good gear whith STR requirements, would be a real pain not to be able to use it :lol:
    I have in mind too that for some obscure reason the Tu'Tara caverns has always been for me a
    98%white 2% green 0% blue/unque drop zone.
    What would you do? Give me your thoughts please!
    Will have to wait till next lvl up to make a choice anyway.
    here's my toon's journal:
    endruinsjournal.jpg
  • RugerRuger Posts: 6
    Iron Bob IV is now starting the ruins at clvl 11, got this pretty nice drop which reinforces my love affair with polearms:

newpokingstick.png

Its weaker than my Double Damage Axe in DW but its got the extra range and the +6% xp is brilliant because I also got 2x +1% xp rings and a +2% xp necklace, and now with 2 points in adventurer I should be flying up the lvls.

also decided to stack up on +% chance to deflect missiles for the kitefest in ruins, getting a Hawk Mantle drop greatly helped this, also found 1 of those hats Bourrpif found with Ironmanu but aint got the dex for it :/

Iron Bob's Book of achievement:

bob4journal.png

the potion backlog is thankfully building up, wish him luck!
    Ruger wrote:
    Its weaker than my Double Damage Axe in DW but its got the extra range and the +6% xp is brilliant because I also got 2x +1% xp rings and a +2% xp necklace, and now with 2 points in adventurer I should be flying up the lvls.
    the potion backlog is thankfully building up, wish him luck!

Yes, my previous run was also based on +XP rates, makes the ruins and caves a bit easier. But the level gap tends to reduce along the way whatever is your +XP stuff so my advice is not to rely on it too long. Save some better stuff if you find some to prepare hard times :) With Ironmanu II I didn't find this kind of stuff and I must admit it's quite harder even with better drops. Good luck with your 2H Ironbob ;)
    I survived my second phase portal, was one I never experienced before (I think it's quite rare so put it in spoiler):
    The Estherian ruins but not my habit one, some in very high roc bridges thing with 4 rooms. Not too hard after the enter-portal-pigmie-rush (not a single miniboss!) but the last "room" filled with big tresures (9 i think, Woot!) that quite all reveals to be mimics! Here's pic where I have at least 4 of them on my **** as my pet thought it was a good idea to wake-up them all with a frost spell! Thrilly moment as i'm about sure I would't survive a mimic-crit in a phase portal. Here's a pic, not a too good one but was more worried about saving my skin from this annoying situation than taking pictures!
    strangephase.jpg
    So I keep going on :lol:
    Just a quick update before I go to dinner -- I'm just about to start the Caverns:

nazagor.jpg
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
    locklere wrote:
    I'm just about to start the Caverns:
    Wow, you're fast! Not one of my qualities! Double hours played and onely 2 lvl further! Need to be careful to survive in the caverns though, takes more time per level. Your damage ouput is great but no armor so careful on the chargers and even more the archers cause their crits are deadly. Good luck!

I'm about to enter my third phase portal. 2 within 2 lvls, no luck.
    Little journal update, just in case...
    journalironii3phaseport.jpg

Edit: It was the easy catacomb one, a shade boss quite deadly but made it! Lets go on.

Edit 2: Another one, again! on floor 19.No lvl up so a new journal post is useless.
    Guess, I'm going to see what's inside!
    4thportal.jpg
    Edit 3: Survived, of course ;) got the mine tileset, another I did never experience before and certainely the longest i've done. three boss and a cool blue sword +50 knockback! but that was ok, mostly skeletons and slow zombies.
    4thportal.jpg
    Working my way through the Caverns... here's an update:

nazagor16.jpg

I have 3 unique pistols and 1 unique staff in my inventory... what a rip-off.

Edit: beat the Colossus, now onto dungeon level 21...
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
    Died to a critical strike from a Troll boss.

They really need to fix those animations.

Had about 20 of each potion, 40k gold, and a bunch of nice uniques.
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
    locklere wrote:
    Died to a critical strike from a Troll boss.

They really need to fix those animations.

Had about 20 of each potion, 40k gold, and a bunch of nice uniques.

Yes, the same troll thing ended my previous ironman run.
    Need to be even more careful with these if you use the frost spell (which is tempting cause they're slow).
    Very impressive fast run, agressive stance seems to be the way to go.
    Good luck for the next one :D
  • my 1st try

and i am ashamed of myself :oops:

21blzeg.jpg
    ka1m2q.jpg
  • perhaps not my best timing, but I tried to play this style the other night and I was not sure how to disable my pet.

I set him to passive but he still drew attacks from mobs and it provided me with an advantage.

Can someone please explain to me how you set your pet to imaginary? I was under the impression ironman was possible with no mods, but perhaps I am not correct.
    HeadKilla wrote:
    perhaps not my best timing, but I tried to play this style the other night and I was not sure how to disable my pet.

I set him to passive but he still drew attacks from mobs and it provided me with an advantage.

Can someone please explain to me how you set your pet to imaginary? I was under the impression ironman was possible with no mods, but perhaps I am not correct.

The pet spends most of the time fleeing anyway -- you don't need to mod it out. I primarily use it to run to town to sell stuff... not that gold is useful, but I like seeing how high I can get it.
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
  • Ok. I became confused when I saw people referring to imaginary pet. I also became concerned when I read people stating bringing a pet with you negates ironman runs. I just set mine to passive. I imagine giving him spells would be cheap.

I guess in my mind I think the pet should be fully usable. A man and his furry companion. But it is at least good to know I can still keep him at my side, nights would get lonely otherwise.
    HeadKilla wrote:
    Ok. I became confused when I saw people referring to imaginary pet. I also became concerned when I read people stating bringing a pet with you negates ironman runs. I just set mine to passive. I imagine giving him spells would be cheap.

I guess in my mind I think the pet should be fully usable. A man and his furry companion. But it is at least good to know I can still keep him at my side, nights would get lonely otherwise.

Use him as you want, as long as he doesn't have summon spells. :)
    [VH-HC Emberknight]