[VH-HC] Ironman Contest

Comments

• VojVoj Posts: 156
    Sc0pe wrote:
    I think it would be really cool if someone could livstream their play trough X-Fire or something similar. This way I could grab popcorn and some cool drinks and cheer for the brave gladiator that would do it!

The concept is good, but actual gameplay consists of mostly kiting and running away - not very exciting ;)
  • Sc0peSc0pe Posts: 47
    Voj wrote:
    Sc0pe wrote:
    I think it would be really cool if someone could livstream their play trough X-Fire or something similar. This way I could grab popcorn and some cool drinks and cheer for the brave gladiator that would do it!

The concept is good, but actual gameplay consists of mostly kiting and running away - not very exciting ;)

Well I know (kinda, I have my first Ironman almost at Dlvl 4 ready to enter his 1st phase portal) but still - I would like someone to give it a try!
  • mattimatti Posts: 5
    Hello everybody. I gave the Ironman-concept a try, too. I like that concept :)! After loosing vhhc Karlchen on level 61 (see the devastate "guide"... died to a "lagspike" and eight charging mobs :shock: ), it was time for something new.

Soo, Ironmatti The First arrived in Torchlight and spent his last coins in some juicy red drinks. Let's hope for some nice drops and enough pots!
    Lookin' through my screenshots I definatly *had* some blues in the first few levels... blue wands, blue guns, blue rifles, blue wand again, golden dex shoulders... Had my white weapons close to Brink, found a green mace hardly better than the toothpicks I used before. Had about 12 healpots before Brink and ended up with exactly zero. Should've thought about some tactics to fight this guy off, but after running around for a while gettin' continous slapped by his attacks I just went to close combat, slash, slash, pot, rinse and repeat... finally defeating him and found another really nice blue gun. Stupid Ironman rules :)!
    Oh, on floor 3 there was a vendor... it was really hard to resist this shiny shiny 96dps axe with 1crit, 3 mana stolen and 7 health stolen... had more dps than my other weapons together... Did I already complain about the rules? But hey, I'm German, rules ARE rules, so I went on. Would've been great to fish, too, but again, rules are rules.
    Statwise I put my points equally to str and def. Spent just one point in Shadow Armor and saved the others for level 5. Honestly, I was just not sure how to use them. On level 5 I took titan stomp and entropic aura.
    The main idea is to use every opportunity for gaining more xp, so I again saved some points and put 1 to Adventurer and 1 to Doomquake at level 10. Don't like DQ that much, but it serves well as a "ranged" attack. Found Fireball I and using it on a regular base... I'm thinking about using more offensive spells and putting some points into Off Spell Mastery - but I'm afraid that won't help that much and I would have to kite everything, EVERYTHING... and I'm The Mighty Destroyer ;) .
    My build at level 10: http://calc.torchlightinsider.com/index ... ,0,0,0,0,0
    four points remaining. Want to upgrade Adventurer every level and want to have points ready to put them into frostshield.
    Gearwise it's not that there would be much to choose of, using two rings with +1% and +2% XP gain, which fit into my xp-concept. With a 88 and a 89 dps weapon (level 5 & 6) I'm lurking in the Estherian Antechamber. 8 Poison Resistance, 7 Healpots but... I still believe in Lady Luck having some nice gifts for me in those ancient and green ruins :)!
    Ironman IS challenging but fun... it just takes forever:>.
    Good luck all of you guys in deeper dungeon floors.
    tbc.
  • locklerelocklere Posts: 255
    Sc0pe wrote:
    Voj wrote:
    Sc0pe wrote:

Well I know (kinda, I have my first Ironman almost at Dlvl 4 ready to enter his 1st phase portal) but still - I would like someone to give it a try!

I would love to do this, but someone would have to explain how to set up X-Fire or a similar program. If anyone wants to explain it through AIM, just send me a PM :)
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
    So, Ironmatti proceeded through those dreaded ruins, entering now those tu'tasomethingarea at level 14. Had two golden drops for chest and hands, nothing gamebreaking but they some armor and resistances. Finally got myself Heal Self (for me) and Heal All (pet) which was a plus. Adventurer now at 4/10 but I already feel falling behind the mobs. Don't like the idea of those charging guys for like 30% of my total health. Found a "skull"-gem, so I need a better weapon with at least one gem slot soon. Was able to save myself like 14 healpots be extensive using of heal self after running away from enemies often. Don't like it but it works somehow. Oh, and I *really* need that identify item spell, got about 20 unidentified greens in my bags, running out of space and I just do not find any scrolls... try to keep one or two for identifying blues and uniques, but atm, I'm completely out of them (but at least I could identify that great vanqusiher helm from vilebranch *sigh*). Those scrolls should just drop more often.
    Would love to continue to play now but gotta sleep.
    just one pic of The Well-Known Ironmatti The First:
    destroyer1.th.jpg
    tbc.
  • Pet with Heal All sounds like a breach of Ironman Code™ to me, matti! :p
    edited November 2009
    Pet with Heal All sounds like a breach of Ironman Code™ to me, matti! :p

It's not. The cooldown is quite long, and it doesn't heal very much, especially after you begin to level past it.
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
  • BourrpifBourrpif Posts: 121
    Hi all, not dead still with Ironmanu III :lol: As you've maybe seen in my 2 videos, my health pots stock balance was critical.
    (I had in stock about 35 more upper lvl pots but this bad balance would'nt allow me to go much further).
    But I found a Dervish IV spell, and that helped a lot to keep a better balance (would have been better to find a heal spell but, well). I had onely one choice: use a gear switch to benefit of both health leech and ranged reflect missile.
    Thanks to that I made my way through the 30th floor, losing pots with a lower rate.

I decided to video capture my playthrough during the whole lvl 31 floor, since I thought i'd probably die in this one. But I didn't!
    And better than that, my heal pots balance on this floor was...0! It could have been even better without some mistakes made during the bossfight.
    I'll post the videos on Youtube and share them as soon as they're available and udate this post. Quite annoying to switch the gear but no way to keep going otherwise. You'll enjoy a bunch of near deaths situations :shock:

Starting now Dlvl32 Clvl23...
    Bourrpif wrote:

Very impressive -- good luck with Ordrak, if you make it there!
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
    locklere wrote:
    Bourrpif wrote:

Very impressive -- good luck with Ordrak, if you make it there!

Thanks a lot, I'll do my best! Start to believe It's possible to reach the final boss, after all. :twisted:
    Here are the videos I talked you about before about my playthrough over Dlvl31, around 5 minutes each:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I-9iAd-fW8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLF8QYSWOzw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJXwl7dVfcs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVBrI-Wv_ag

I think it can be useful for those who will reach the temple, cause you'll see that yes, it's hella hard but not impossible ;)
    You'll find here some ways to deal with mobs without taking too much hits. SE rocks.
    I'm having real problems dealing with elementals (ice above all, for some reason the reflect ranged % don't work with them) on the 32th floor and found a phase portal in witch I found cool unique shoulders and pistol. The shoulders was already my best piece, but the new one is even better. But the cooliest thing is i've finally found a heal all IV spell that will save my pots and above all allow me to stop this annoying stuff switch. :D
    Bourrpif wrote:
    Here are the videos I talked you about before about my playthrough over Dlvl31, around 5 minutes each:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I-9iAd-fW8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLF8QYSWOzw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJXwl7dVfcs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVBrI-Wv_ag

I think it can be useful for those who will reach the temple, cause you'll see that yes, it's hella hard but not impossible ;)
    You'll find here some ways to deal with mobs without taking too much hits. SE rocks.
    I'm having real problems dealing with elementals (ice above all, for some reason the reflect ranged % don't work with them) on the 32th floor and found a phase portal in witch I found cool unique shoulders and pistol. The shoulders was already my best piece, but the new one is even better. But the cooliest thing is i've finally found a heal all IV spell that will save my pots and above all allow me to stop this annoying stuff switch. :D

Looking good -- how does Slash compare to Doomquake? I'm thinking of trying a DQ-based ironman.
    [VH-HC Emberknight]
  • Sc0peSc0pe Posts: 47
    I would love to do this, but someone would have to explain how to set up X-Fire or a similar program. If anyone wants to explain it through AIM, just send me a PM :)

I've been told this being easy. You just log into http://www.xfire.com (or similar service), download a client program, start it and then start playing and it will automatically cast it to web.
    locklere wrote:
    Looking good -- how does Slash compare to Doomquake? I'm thinking of trying a DQ-based ironman.

Well, slash is my playstyle or more accurately was until the palace. I've learned to use it well, great interrupt chances.
    It's now 8 on my build and I don't use it anymore, or for some miniboss fights/elementals/casters to down them quickly (and maybe Ordrak!!!). I think doomquake is a good way to go but a bit slow (understant cast rate). It'll be safer in most cases but a bit hard to play before you pump it well. The good thing with slash is that you can pump it and have a great damage increase from the very begining. For DQ I'd suggest you go +% faster cast rate on your rings/amulet and + faster movement gear if you find some. There's a bug on this skill too, cause it doesn't scale on STR as it's supposed to, but i've seen somwhere that a mod corrects this, you may want to install it. I think i'll try a DQ build next time, so let me know what you find out with it.
    Anyway good luck to you 8-)
  • Bourrpif wrote:
    ...but i've seen somwhere that a mod corrects this, you may want to install it.
    That mod is Shocking. The author is being very particular about only correcting actual bugs (syntax errors, incorrect references, etc.), so I personally consider it kosher for Ironman runs.
    When you hit 25 and get seismic burst, killing ordrak will be very possible, I think. And if you're low on pots, just run around and wait for ordrak to kill the dragonkin to refill your stock.
    And I started a 4th ironman character. 2 and 3 were lessons on why you should always have titan stomp when facing brink. Apart from that, I just found heal self 1 on the first floor :o .

I'll be going with the same build as before; pretty much spamming doomquake. Putting points in shadow bowman occurred to me, but I don't feel like testing this tactic without the ability to respec. If anyone says bowman does a lot of glancing blows, then I disagree as I was playing with bowman maxed on my dead lvl 92 vhhc destroyer and it rarely got a glancing blow, and hit for about 1000. Yes 1000 ****, but I imagine it will hit for 50-150 around lvl 20, quite good compared to my own ironman dps. We rarely get hit in melee range in the first place, so the reflect would help immensly . This fact get's even more juicy when you consider I'll be spamming doomquake, a ranged ability.
  • Hi all,

I just read a couple of the ironman post, some very interesting and funny posts heh

I have played some VHHC, i had a 29 vanq which died because of bad spawning, i entered some floor and wooosh i was dead from being overwhelmed by countless mobs

I have seen this a few times, there needs to be some space to work with when you enter a dungeon, not just hordes of mobs that are going to overpower and kill you.

Back to Ironman,

I think I will give it a shot when I get home today, sounds like fun to try be self sufficient and see how far you can progress.

Hope to reply soon with updates and progress :)

Futureman
    edited November 2009
    This is my luckiest ironman. Just found fireball 1, heal all 1,a 67 dps shiv, and a 50 dps, 20 knockback sword all @ lvl 2-3. Put both spells on the pet and now I don't even have to kite :twisted:

Edit: Unsurprisingly, I found another unique wand.
    Edit2: Got an easy phase portal @ clvl 4. Hit clvl5 in it and got 2 93 dps axes, 1 with 5 life steal, from a champion troll. Now those damned trolls die in 2 slash attacks.
    Edit3: Just reached brink with 26 health potions. Haven't use a single potion yet.
    Edit4: 4 potions later he's dead.
    Edit5: Another easy phase portal. Every time one of those pops up I'm afraid I'll get that palace portal where a bunch of dark zealots, dragonkin, and the charging mobs spawn right on top of you.
    Voj wrote:
    When you hit 25 and get seismic burst, killing ordrak will be very possible, I think. And if you're low on pots, just run around and wait for ordrak to kill the dragonkin to refill your stock.

You're maybe right. Don't know how **** long this will be to kill it with SB so i'll try a bit of CAC sometimes. I've perhaps made a mistake by taking Devastate when uped 25 but i think i'll be a lvl more when (if) i face it.
  • Voj wrote:
    This is my luckiest ironman. Just found fireball 1, heal all 1,a 67 dps shiv, and a 50 dps, 20 knockback sword all @ lvl 2-3. Put both spells on the pet and now I don't even have to kite :twisted:

Edit: Unsurprisingly, I found another unique wand.
    Edit2: Got an easy phase portal @ clvl 4. Hit clvl5 in it and got 2 93 dps axes, 1 with 5 life steal, from a champion troll. Now those damned trolls die in 2 slash attacks.
    Edit3: Just reached brink with 26 health potions. Haven't use a single potion yet.
    Edit4: 4 potions later he's dead.
    Edit5: Another easy phase portal. Every time one of those pops up I'm afraid I'll get that palace portal where a bunch of dark zealots, dragonkin, and the charging mobs spawn right on top of you.

I feel intreged to try it out myself, but i do have some questions:

1:Is it allowed to bring ur pet, or do u have to use the imag-pet mod? (this is probably asked a few times alrdy but i can't find the answer).
    2:Is it allowed to give your pet ranged spells (like fireball) or even use them urself? (melee build only, right..?)
    3:Is it possible to hit-and-run brink the proper way? (i keep using too much potions on him)
    4:Is it better to go all-aggresive build, all-defensive build, or a mix of both?
    5:Rather go for big DPS or health steal? as steal can save u potions but with less dps weapons the fights take longer aswell.
    6:Higher armor rating or higher elemental resistances?

Thanks in advance, and it's really cool to read your journals guys. Keep it up. (especially u Bourpiff, i wanna see you make it all the way :D)

Bruutus

Edit: Btw how about the flaming sword spell? allowed or not? as its an offensive spell but it SUMMONS something so i guess its not:)
    The rules prohibit ranged weapons only, so it's fine to use spells. These are destroyer ironman rules, so you can use all of your skills; some of them are ranged but the rules don't prohibit them.

The rules also prohibit fishing, but allow pets.

Concerning brink, you can brute force him if you find great weapons, or you can kite him around those 3 stacked boxes and spam titan stomp. If you don't have great weapons (80+ dps), and don't have titan stomp, then you'll either die or have a very long fight on your hands with your pet doing a good chunk of damage while you run around hoping not to get hit. I once had 19 potions going up against him, but my weapons were 50 dps each (dw) and I didn't get titan stomp; I died when I ran out of potions spamming slash attack. I was getting lots of glancing blows too.

It's very difficult to hit and run brink because his attacks are mostly ranged or have a huge melee range.

Concerning builds, I usually go all defensive, with my only offensive skill being doomquake, followed by spectral echo, followed by seismic burst. You could go all offensive and kill faster (therefore using less potions), but I can't say how well it will work as I've never tried it.

Big dps or lifesteal? If you plan on using doomquake at a distance, go for big dps. If you plan to use spectral echo go for lifesteal. If you plan to use both, go for the best dps weapon you can find with some lifesteal on it. Mana steal is probably the best thing to go with, as more mana directly translates to more damage but you have to be in melee range to steal the mana (before lvl 20).

Armor or resistance? I'd go for both, but prioritize armor. It's difficult to get high resistances from random drops, and easier to get more armor.
  • ok, that clarifies things, thanx!

im gonna give it a try as soon as im home (at work atm) :)

goodluck to all!
    Just tried shadow bowman and it was disappointing. The range was similar to spectral echo's and it got lot's of glancing blows on mobs 2 levels lower than me.

Anyways, I'm 1/3 through the ruins, and found 2 unique chests just before the overseer. One chest has lots or armor, the other one has lots of resistances but low armor.

Untitled-2-1.jpg
    Pet with Heal All sounds like a breach of Ironman Code™ to me, matti! :p

Of course, I consulted my lawyer in this case - and he said it would be perfectly alright :)!
  • Hi peeps !

So i started my destroyer.

I am trying a build I have theorized on and naming it the "Dark Lancer", so far so good, but time will tell, heh

Here is a pic of him with stats and gear as he currently stands.

IronToe

irontoeis.jpg

Have fun !

Futureman
    "May the mighty blade carve your way"
  • how do u show/open all those items skills-list attribute-list etc all at the same time?
    or is that paint?:)
  • Bruutus wrote:
    how do u show/open all those items skills-list attribute-list etc all at the same time?
    or is that paint?:)

Ye, i used windows paint to cut n paste and resize heh
  • BruutusBruutus Posts: 13
    edited November 2009
    Hey guys, started my irondude too :)

clv 7 atm, just defeated brink, slahed my way throught him with 1 green and 1 white weapon (2x heal self spell and 23 health pots did the trick, down to 12 health pots at the end)

going steady, found a gold chestpiece with dmg reflect, which i like.

some disgusting drops though:

Talk about teases :>

tease1.jpg

tease2e.jpg

might go for the helmet for the exp gain though.. not sure yet what to do :)

Edit:

tease wont stop there!

tease3.jpg

+ my enchantment shrine failed on me... the guy was right, i AM unlucky :(
    Hi @ all! Well, still on my way to make it. Each floor is VERY long but allows me to gain 1lvl and a half, so I the gap between me and mobs is decreasing (Now Clvl 26, Dlvl 34 mobs are just 1 and 1/2 lvl above me as when I entered the palace it was more like 2 and 1/2.) More surprisingly, things get easier! I've got around 30 heal pots, and maybe 100 mana. I came back to dual wield after trying a 1H+ shield as you've maybe seen in the vids; better since I down things faster, have a 15% crit chance and overall 80% reflect missile without shield now (111% with it).
    Hope I'll reach Ordrak :D My plan is to overslash him with Dervish spell using pots during 16 secs then when the effect vanishes, run around to wait for the cooldown, then repeat. I'll anyway capture my fight against it .
    I shall double up (lvl+ fame) on the 34th floor, will allow me to take seismic burst, not sure yet for the other point.
    Probably frost shield 7. Little pic:
    ironmanuiiijournal.jpg