So, help deciding what to do with my Engi?

NemesisZeruNemesisZeru Posts: 16
edited December 2013 in Engineer Discussions
I've respecc'd several times so far(Rapid respec has been a lifesaver. x3) trying everything from sword and board to cannon to staff Engi(surprisingly not bad with Ember Hammer/Quake. Wish I had a better staff to try it with, though), and I'm torn. Maybe it's just being on Veteran that's causing me these problems, but it feels like:

My main build, 2h, does pretty good damage, but gets instagibbed since Act 2 unless I have a full charge forcefield up basically all the time(which means less Charged Fire Hammers)

The tankier stuff I've tried(shield bash focused Engi) was a lot more survivable, but my kill speed is super slow.

So, I guess what I'm asking is...what's a good balance of tankiness and kill speed? Because it seems to be very either-or for me right now. xP

The builds I've used((Current level is 44 with 13 fame levels) are below. Listing 2h and Staff because those two felt the best: As much as I like shields, every shield based setup I try goes kinda bad. xP

2H Main build: [LINK DELETED]
(Spells aren't accurate. I have Weapons Expertise 3, Elemental Overload 3, Treasure Hunter 3 and Barter)

Staff build: [LINK DELETED]
((Really like Ember Hammer. Been trying various secondary skills with it. Emberquake seemed decent enough. x3)

Comments

• opsayoopsayo Posts: 26
    The cookie cutter engineer build is the emberquake build. Do it 1H and a shield and it is far away the most efficient build both in terms of damage you deal and tankiness.

The core of the build has you maxing forcefield, fire and spark, healing bot, and emberquake. The rest of it is up to you.
  • Ember hammer seems to be bugged.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=54998#p464347

You should consider shifting points from fire and spark to heavy lifting or supercharge. Additive damage are not attractive.

I **** at playing engineer, so I always have 1 point in spider mine to get out of dicey situations, like king tar and grom.
  • Try adding 1 point in Charge Reconstitution for some more tanking abilities. It will heal you per Charged used. E.g. if you use 3 Charges it will heal you 3 times the amount.

I'm playing a support type Engineer on Vet. In my short experience of this game it seems that everyone it a little extra squishy in Vet. Always keep a eye on your FF icon to recast it when it has 5 seconds left, no matter what Charge level you have.
  • surmise wrote:
    Ember hammer seems to be bugged.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=54998#p464347

You should consider shifting points from fire and spark to heavy lifting or supercharge. Additive damage are not attractive.

I **** at playing engineer, so I always have 1 point in spider mine to get out of dicey situations, like king tar and grom.

Eh, fair enough. I'll consider giving it a try. I figured it wouldn't hurt to put some points there, since my main two skills are Fire and Electric damage. Doesn't feel like I get a whole lot of use out of Supercharge, though. Unless my FF is up and charged, standing there AAing stuff for charge doesn't go so well. It's getting better now that I'm consistently remembering the huge debuff Onslaught has, though. For some reason I keep forgetting it does that. xD

If I may ask though, how is +75% fire/electric damage not that great? Seems like a pretty decent boost for other skills.
    TiroDvD wrote:
    Try adding 1 point in Charge Reconstitution for some more tanking abilities. It will heal you per Charged used. E.g. if you use 3 Charges it will heal you 3 times the amount.

I'm playing a support type Engineer on Vet. In my short experience of this game it seems that everyone it a little extra squishy in Vet. Always keep a eye on your FF icon to recast it when it has 5 seconds left, no matter what Charge level you have.

I had 1 point in CR for a while, but it feels like damage over time is less of a problem then getting burst down in one or two strong hits before I can put my shield back up.

For now, gonna finish getting a Dwarfking set(Just got the 7th peice, so gonna grab a decent shield and try it out) and see if having a more defensive armor set helps the SnS style(Right now I'm using the emberclad(Well, the 'ember' uniques. There's 3 variations on each piece and I have a mix) and a Netherbane). Didn't know one of the Act 3 merchants always has various set pieces. Good to know. x3

Although, seems like my defenses are better now. 472 physical, 473 ice, 408 fire, 356 electric and 417 poison doesn't seem that bad for midway through act 3. I seem to recall my level 70ish Embermage friend having similar defensive stats. He mentioned something about level scaling on them that confuse me. Apparently despite us having similar resists, his are better because he's a higher level? Kinda confused on that.
  • Yours may be higher when you go into the later game, your Embermage friend is more of a distance attacker so it's more about not being hit. You are more about being able to take the hits and fight back.

Dwarfking is a nice mid-range set. One of the bonuses applies to shield users (block increase) but it's useful if you have shield or not.

• If I may ask though, how is +75% fire/electric damage not that great? Seems like a pretty decent boost for other skills.

I had 1 point in CR for a while, but it feels like damage over time is less of a problem then getting burst down in one or two strong hits before I can put my shield back up.

For now, gonna finish getting a Dwarfking set(Just got the 7th peice, so gonna grab a decent shield and try it out) and see if having a more defensive armor set helps the SnS style(Right now I'm using the emberclad(Well, the 'ember' uniques. There's 3 variations on each piece and I have a mix) and a Netherbane). Didn't know one of the Act 3 merchants always has various set pieces. Good to know. x3

Although, seems like my defenses are better now. 472 physical, 473 ice, 408 fire, 356 electric and 417 poison doesn't seem that bad for midway through act 3. I seem to recall my level 70ish Embermage friend having similar defensive stats. He mentioned something about level scaling on them that confuse me. Apparently despite us having similar resists, his are better because he's a higher level? Kinda confused on that.

Additive damage diminishes as you improve your levels. See this thread for more info.

If you are concerned with big hits armor are hardly useful. There are easily armor with +300 health boost to absorb those damage. Just 2 pieces will allow you to exceed your current armor, physical or elemental.

Wazir mid game is the best armor with +23% Damage Reduction, in addition to engineer's natural 25% DR you can reduce almost half the damage monster dish out at you. A few more grell eyes and you are close to the 75% DR limit.
  • Well, less midgame now. Beat the game on Vet for the first time earlier. x3

Gambled a bunch of gear and found some stuff that should help with tanking(A seemingly amazing -7% damage for each enemy in 3 meters on a helmet. Sounds good to me). Also found some rings with +50% fire damage, which seems pretty **** good...or is gear with elemental %s in the same place as FnS?

Also, where is the natural 25% DR coming from? Bulwark, maybe? Iunno.
    opsayo wrote:
    The cookie cutter engineer build is the emberquake build. Do it 1H and a shield and it is far away the most efficient build both in terms of damage you deal and tankiness.

The core of the build has you maxing forcefield, fire and spark, healing bot, and emberquake. The rest of it is up to you.

Really? Tried EQ out on my 1h/shield build and it was doing less then Flame Hammer by quite a bit. Might just be the difference between 1h and 2h, but eh.

Mid-post edit: The damage seems inconsistent,that's why. Sometimes it hits twice for 1k, sometimes 2-3 times for 3k in addtion to a 1k hit. It's weird. :/

Still swapping back and forth between 2h dps and tank. Got reckt in the mapworks by this one cannon boss and it took like 3-4 tries to kill him with my 2h build. A single hit'd break my shield and leave me at low hp. >.>;
  • Sorry if double posting is against the rules. Trying to separate my thoughts here. xP

Anyways, trying this now:

[LINK DELETED]

Damage seems pretty good, although I haven't fought a boss yet. Still experimenting with skill points. Might switch Supercharge out and grab Immo Copter, since I forgot about that.

So, is there any way to well, make Fire Bash work well? I love the skill, it just seems to do barely any damage. ;~;
  • The Engineer and Berserker have an innate 25% all damage reduction.

Fire Bash works slow, you should use other attacks while the DoT is taking its effect. IMO Fire Bash charge is great for applying the DoT to groups since the range is increased.

Focus will increase the Fire Bash output damage as well as a higher physical armor shield. Socketables that increase physical armor, when attached to the shield, will also boost damage of shield-based skills.

Focus would also benefit to Emberquake's fire damage and Burn debuff damage. It also does weapon DPS damage so procs could also be applied (i.e. Scalding Geyser, Glacial Spike) if you have any of that on your equipment.

EDIT: Overlooked your find. It should be additive to what you have with F&S. If you have rank 10 fire & spark (50% fire/elec damage) and a ring with +25% Fire damage, you'll have a 75% fire damage bonus. As far as I know, anyway, but it doesn't hurt.
  • altermaven wrote:
    The Engineer and Berserker have an innate 25% all damage reduction.

Fire Bash works slow, you should use other attacks while the DoT is taking its effect. IMO Fire Bash charge is great for applying the DoT to groups since the range is increased.

Focus will increase the Fire Bash output damage as well as a higher physical armor shield. Socketables that increase physical armor, when attached to the shield, will also boost damage of shield-based skills.

Focus would also benefit to Emberquake's fire damage and Burn debuff damage. It also does weapon DPS damage so procs could also be applied (i.e. Scalding Geyser, Glacial Spike) if you have any of that on your equipment.

EDIT: Overlooked your find. It should be additive to what you have with F&S. If you have rank 10 fire & spark (50% fire/elec damage) and a ring with +25% Fire damage, you'll have a 75% fire damage bonus. As far as I know, anyway, but it doesn't hurt.

They do? I never knew that. Interesting.

I wanted to get more focus, but I needed strength to use any half decent swords, so sorta left that out, outside of my staff Engi attempt. lol

Well, with the two +50% fire damage rings i have(Got lucky and found two in a row. x3), and rank 10 Fire and Spark...that'd be around +150%, then? That doesn't count too bad. Maybe it'll make up for the lowish Focus.

Does Tier 3 Fire Bash's effect work for ALL fire damage? If so, I could use the Fire Bash DoT then Emberquake for a free +50% damage on the latter, which seems pretty nice. My skills are a bit crowed as it is, but seems like a decent way to use it. Iunno why, but I just love the animation for Fire Bash. Makes me want to use it. x3

Between Dynamo and Seismic, though, feels like I have AoE fights covered(Stun with Seismic, use as much Dynamo as I can before they unstun, repeat). Just need to find a skill more suited for bosses to round it out. I'm being told that's Emberquake, but the numbers seem really...inconsistent and weird. Sometimes it clears mobs like nothing, sometimes it barely does anything. Haven't been using it as much as I've used Flame Hammer, so maybe I'm expecting EQ to work like FH and it's biasing me. lol

Anyways, any particularly good weapons for a sword and board Engi around, say...57-60? Using a Dragon's Tooth for the fire damage right now, but if I switch out even one piece of gear, I lose the required strength to equip it. >.>;
  • I should've planned my shield engineer ahead of time with extra points, since I didn't plan enough points (I had ~108). Fire debuff from Fire Bash only increases the potential damage taken so it's not really additive.

If you directly hit a monster with Emberquake then most of the fissures should hit if not all of them. And as for your Slam + Dynamo, that's a good chargebuild strategy, to get your Forcefield going.

Two swords are useful that requires Focus: the Gold Sword (found in Notch's Mine chest randomly) and Grom's Fireblade (randomly drops from Grom the Murderer in the Arena of Slaughter, an Act 3 sidequest). Though Grom's Fireblade would help better.

Flame Hammer works better if the strike isn't direct; Emberquake works better if you have a direct swing.

As for weapons, your sword+board doesn't really require a sword to be used. An axe or hammer would work just as nicely. It just requires a shield.

And before someone says it: A tier-3 fire bash doesn't make the next fire bash do more damage. It's included with the DoT so the next bash just resets the DoT.
  • Alright, so I'm level 62ish, got the Grand Arcitect set and a pretty strong sword. Just got a bit of a question~

[LINK DELETED]
    ((Experimenting with different levels of FnS compared to Bulwark recently. I never die, so trying to squeeze out a bit more damage. :P )

I'll probably remove 2 in SnB later. Just have it at 2 for a flat 25% for now.

Alright, so with my current gear, I have about 73-75% block, putting me near the cap. At this point, to boost the damage of my EQ, would it be better to put points into Focus now, or continue pumping just str?
  • I'd put the two sword & board into fire and spark. You're looking good on the setup, but to answer that question on emberquake, I'd begin investing in focus.