All Brands: 15X3 = 45
Ice Prison: 15
Elemental Attunement: 15
Frozen Fate: 15
Charge Mastery: 10
Frost Phase: 1
Prismatic Rift: 1

Total: 117

I have exactly 15 points left, what I should do with that?

Note: I am using 1H+Shield. So I hope to reach block, dodge and DR caps in end game + some % missile deflect.

I am considering the following Spells:

* Immolation Aura: worth it? 15 points = 3 5% DR gem!

* Elemental Boon: I don't like the cool down / up time.

* HailStorm: I think its quite good. But is this skill really necessary? The main purpose of this is extra buff and more ice+electric damage. PB+Elemental Attunement buffs just fine, then brands do incredible damage. I am currently at level 26 and I never felt the need of this. Everything dies pretty fast and with the help of Frost Phase, I keep a good distance.

* Frost Wave: Most potential candidate in my list. My only concern is at some point I might be under some immobilization effect .. therefore I can't run away with Frost Phase and I die surrounded by trash mob. In that case, Frost wave might save me. This is pretty good for close crowd control.

* Astral ally: Or maybe I should get this sidekick?

* Thunder Locus: Its good but eh ...

* Death's Bounty: Looks good but I don't really need HP or MP leach. And not interested to go into melee range.

Thats it. Right now, I am doing just fine with PB alone, Frozen Fate is awesome crowd control, I plan to max it. Even at only level 26 I can cast PB non-stop. I am very mobile with Frost Phase, I see even slight hint of denger, I run away. So right now it seems that I am invincible, but I know from my experience that a time will come when all will fail. So I need to carefully chose my last skill that will save me from that one time. I have lost my last 3 **** Engineer, so I intend to keep my embermage alive.

So the question remains, where to spend those 15 points?

Another question: Should I max Charge Mastery or 10 points should keep me in Charged state most of the time? I would like to be in Charges state as long as possible, not for unlimited mana, but for extra elemental damage.

Thank you.

Comments

• All is lost !! My character died at level 34! I was on my way to meet Djinn, then I saw a cave! I thought lets take a look there and level up a bit! The cave was similar to the Forsaken vaults. I was very careful but even so, I probably miss-clicked and fall on those death blades on the floor !! 3 days of restless gameplay .. down to the drain .. and there goes my 5 eye of Grell, half dozen blood ember chip, and few mana regen gems! Also the unique wand!

By the way, I took Frost wave and put 5 points on it. Its kinda dull until you get tier 1 bonus, but after that it kicks ****. Hailstorm also looks very appealing, I should probably cut some points from Charge Mastaery an Elemental Attunement and get both Hailstorm and Frostwave.

Still waiting for some reply from you guys.
  • Imo, immolation Aura is the way to go, it basically represents 3 less limoany to hit DR cap, thus 3 open sockets which can either be 3 reichlu for +~4600 hp or 3 wfuntir for +186 focus (which represents +96% damage) or some kind of combination of the two. That is ofc end game, but playing HC keep in mind this spell also gives u the valuable DR before u even have the gear to obtain it otherwise, so its a win win to me...

further note, since ur making a new char anyways, consider taking only five in mastery (this is even just really for leveling early) that is plenty for what u will ever need... then take only five in EA, this doesn't really buff your damage it just keeps elemental affects on a bit longer, however these are reapplied with new Pbolts anyways so its really there for the time between spamming PB which is very rare to never more than 5ish seconds anyways... its fairly useful passive but wasted skill points after about 5 imo, this then gives you 15 more which I would use for hailstorm, this is a buff but that's not its main purpose, it is great AOE for mobs and more importantly CC, CC applied over AoE, its legit. Also leading into large mobs with HS into Pbolts is just so much better than leading with just PB...

Edit: as a last thought the 1 point in rift is even a waste to me, that skill is just terrible. much rather have 1 point in locus for utility...
  • Imo, immolation Aura is the way to go, it basically represents 3 less limoany to hit DR cap, thus 3 open sockets which can either be 3 reichlu for +~4600 hp or 3 wfuntir for +186 focus (which represents +96% damage) or some kind of combination of the two. That is ofc end game, but playing HC keep in mind this spell also gives u the valuable DR before u even have the gear to obtain it otherwise, so its a win win to me...

further note, since ur making a new char anyways, consider taking only five in mastery (this is even just really for leveling early) that is plenty for what u will ever need... then take only five in EA, this doesn't really buff your damage it just keeps elemental affects on a bit longer, however these are reapplied with new Pbolts anyways so its really there for the time between spamming PB which is very rare to never more than 5ish seconds anyways... its fairly useful passive but wasted skill points after about 5 imo, this then gives you 15 more which I would use for hailstorm, this is a buff but that's not its main purpose, it is great AOE for mobs and more importantly CC, CC applied over AoE, its legit. Also leading into large mobs with HS into Pbolts is just so much better than leading with just PB...

Edit: as a last thought the 1 point in rift is even a waste to me, that skill is just terrible. much rather have 1 point in locus for utility...

Great Advice, Thanks :)

I think the Celestial set would be perfect for PB mage and it has 20% DR so I really don't need Immo Aura to hit DR cap. Celestial set and 11 Limoany (10 gear + Shield). I'll still have 11 sockets for 11 Reichlu. That should be enough HP for an Embermage to survive, what do you think?

I agree with you that more than 5 points in Elemental Attune is a waste. I am not sure about charge mastery though. I don't need CM to spam PB, after level 20, mages have enough MP that 4% base regen can support level 1 PB spamming. I am just thinking with more points into CM, charge will come faster and that means 25% elemental damage bonus. I would like to hear some thought about this too. Is it a viable approach to put more points into CM for the 25% elemental damage bonus?

I have a question about Hailstorm. If I apply level 15 HS, that means mob will take 60% more ice and electric damage or they have 60% chance to take more ice and electric damage? If HS means 60% damage bonus to all ice and electric damage then its a must have.
  • I think the Celestial set would be perfect for PB mage and it has 20% DR so I really don't need Immo Aura to hit DR cap. Celestial set and 11 Limoany (10 gear + Shield). I'll still have 11 sockets for 11 Reichlu. That should be enough HP for an Embermage to survive, what do you think?

Celestial is **** good, but by no means as good as transcendant/ascendant end game (Ive been meaning to open a thread to hopefully discuss ideal end game gear for a pb build as EVERY guide i can find kinda just glosses over this just saying find gear with mod X, Y, and/or Z...), but regardless I still stand by Aura, I just don't think any other skills are better than the 4600hp 3 more reichlu's give (or the +94% damage from 3 wfuntir's even if u think you gtg on hp), but depending on playstyle the extra utility a spell offers may be so to you :) But remember your playing HCE so is there even such a thing as 'enough' HP?
    I agree with you that more than 5 points in Elemental Attune is a waste. I am not sure about charge mastery though. I don't need CM to spam PB, after level 20, mages have enough MP that 4% base regen can support level 1 PB spamming. I am just thinking with more points into CM, charge will come faster and that means 25% elemental damage bonus. I would like to hear some thought about this too. Is it a viable approach to put more points into CM for the 25% elemental damage bonus?

Early a few points can help with this but late game you will fill the bar in 1-2 pbolts even with nothing in the skill so it can end up wasted points, 5 just seems right to me because that amount doesn't dip into a full 15 extra left for choosing another spell to go t3 with...
    I have a question about Hailstorm. If I apply level 15 HS, that means mob will take 60% more ice and electric damage or they have 60% chance to take more ice and electric damage? If HS means 60% damage bonus to all ice and electric damage then its a must have.

Yes, this is +60% ice/electric damage, but this does not make it a must by no means, especially late game, in perspective 1000 focus is modest late game this is +500% to ALL elements/magic...so an extra 60 to just 2 of the elements while being pretty good isn't gonna break anything... You expressed concerns for survivability in asking about your HP, but the freezing ability if HS applied over the AoE will give you much more survivability imo... really the AoE CC is the cake , and the damage bonus is just some sweet icing on top (no pun intended :P)

^^ last thought to sell you on Aura ;) if +60% ice/electric damage puts HS as a must for you, then consider that Aura represents +93% damage to all the elements on a spell which u cast and forget in between battles...
  • Thanks a lot PotatoEater, and sorry for the late reply. I was really really really sad these day, after losing my HCE PBmage at level 41 ... I had 20% DR from EoG and some gear, and I had a complete Wazir set in my stash ... I was waiting for level 42 so I can wear it and get additional 20% DR !! All is lost ..

After mourning and sobbing for a week I am back leveling another mage. I hope not to repeat my previous mistakes.

What you have said about Immo Aura makes sense. I am just afraid of casting it every now and then. But then again, at 15, 58 second duration is not bad, I mean its certainly bearable. If I can't cast a spell every 1 min, then I am absolutely too lazy to play HCE. But then again .. I am ashamed to admit that I am kinda lazy :oops:

My top choice was Prismatic Rift for its added defense. But then I thought .. I am not going to stand there to take another hit after eating the first one. If I get hit in HCE with a PBmage, its bad, but if I take a second hit from the same monster, I am just a loser and I should switch to softcore. I need to make frost phasing a second nature so I am going to avoid PR this time.

Then I was thinking about frost wave. Absolutely overwhelming damage, ultimate crowd control that actually makes sure that there won't be any crowd to control after :D But do I really need it? 15 points in Frozen fate covers the CC part very well. HS kills most of the crowd from a distance, and nothing can stand the wrath of PB for long. Nope, Frost wave would be overkill for this build.

As a meat-shield Astral ally was a close contender. For some reason I don't like summons very much (remember the lazy part of me?) .. so I said **** that!

Elemental boon ... 15 second duration and 30 second CD? Thats way out of my tolerance level. Excuse me, but I am not that bright.

To be honest, I dont have much use for these 16 points left. So may be I'll get Immo Aura. It frees 3 socket that I can put richelieu in. And that 3 meter fire shield does good damage and scales with levels so not bad either.

May be I should bind HS and Immo Aura to same key .. is it possible? To bind two skill to same button?

And I am also a little confused with final gear. I am by all means, a huge fan of Celestial set for PB builds. But almost all endgame builds use transcendent. Why?
  • surmisesurmise Posts: 84
    Firebomb slows thing by up to 54%. Add freeze by hailstorm or death bounty the slow is more than 80%, almost 90. That should be very good CC.
  • surmisesurmise Posts: 84

Yes, this is +60% ice/electric damage, but this does not make it a must by no means, especially late game, in perspective 1000 focus is modest late game this is +500% to ALL elements/magic...so an extra 60 to just 2 of the elements while being pretty good isn't gonna break anything... You expressed concerns for survivability in asking about your HP, but the freezing ability if HS applied over the AoE will give you much more survivability imo... really the AoE CC is the cake , and the damage bonus is just some sweet icing on top (no pun intended :P)

^^ last thought to sell you on Aura ;) if +60% ice/electric damage puts HS as a must for you, then consider that Aura represents +93% damage to all the elements on a spell which u cast and forget in between battles...

According to that embermage handbook by armis halistorm damage debuff is not additive, it's multiplicative. Unless there's changes in later patches?

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47241
  • According to that embermage handbook by armis halistorm damage debuff is not additive, it's multiplicative. Unless there's changes in later patches?

orly??? Honestly i never thought to test this and now i will, I just assumed its +% elemental damage would work the same as well pretty much everything else... thanks for pointing that out, and if this is the case HS is even more of a lock for PB builds...
    And I am also a little confused with final gear. I am by all means, a huge fan of Celestial set for PB builds. But almost all endgame builds use transcendent. Why?

trancendant ammy is BiS with the 15% cast speed, transcendant belts 68 focus is arguably BiS, transcendant shoulders as well with the crit chance and damage and the 5% dr is basically an extra socket... ascendant pants is BiS with the 9% cast rate, ascendant boots again 5% dr = extra socket = BiS

then just one more transcdendant piece ends up giving you 6 piece bonus of 15% cast rate which means either 1 ring or ascendant chest should be used... this, 6 pieces of transedent set is best end game, but not a full transcendant set..
    the other four slots are either 2 emberweave rings if you use the ascendant chest, or 1 transcendant ring, 1 emberweave ring and ice squall (winter's reach set chest armor) (esp good if your duel weilding blizzard wands, but your HCE so i'm assuming a sheild?), and if your playing cheesy and using alchemist rings than its 2 alchemist rings and the ascendant chest for sure...

helm and gloves are asphyx and hands of orlac, these are the best in the game for pretty much any build and it doesnt change with embermage imo (10 sockets with the pair, use a skull of x!ntroph on 1 to more than counter the set's life loss, then you get 9 to use as you please = gfg)

and lastly rember that trancendant/ascendant gear is higher ilvls which means better enchanting from Boris...
  • Thanks a bunch PotatoEater. Awesome gear selection .. this would be very useful for me.

So finally I did it :) Last night finished NG0 with my HCE PBmage (lvl 53). This is my first time beating HCE so feeling is very sweet! I was scared to death before entering Alchemist and Netherlord (I had only 2200 HP) .. but **** .. this build is so awesome .. Alchemist never had a chance to say his last prayers and Netherlord died like the dog he is lol. 36 hours of gameplay .. totally worth it.

I am very satisfied with Immolation Aura .. but it only gave me 5% DR in end game NG0. After putting 9 points in it, I realized that before level 60, you can't get that 10th point :x After playing the entire game with it .. (not entire but from level 35) I realized that its not only a replacement for 3 sockets .. its also a pretty good 3m shield of flame. Now one might be very good at kiting, dodging and jumping away with frost phase, but even so, time to time one or two mob will come close to you. With a PBmage, with almost no dodge and block at NG0, this shield might save you in certain situation. Plus, watching the Urns breaking themselves while I run on them is very fun :) Keeping it up all the time takes some work but with no cooldown, its easy .. I just cast it whenever I can. Other than that, I totally love it, and I think it is the best skill to spend my last 15 points .. Thank you for suggesting it .. :)

I would be very interested in a discussion about PBmage specific end game gear selection. Why don't you open a new thread for it?
  • Oh and yes I am definitely using a shield and I think Perma's coal burner is a winner in end game shield contest with 45% block chance .. right? And not interested in spawning Alchemist rings from console, so I guess my best bet is a pair of emberweave rings?

So lets calculate end game gems. Total socket is 28 (excluding weapon) - 1 for HP regen = 27. 15% DR from IA + 10% from transcendent gear = 25%. So 10 Limoany needed to get 50% DR to reach 75% cap. 27-10 = 17 sockets left. Fill em up with Reichliu (why its so hard to spell zeez) ? **** with this gear a PBmage would be a demi-****! But what would be optimal use for those 17 sockets?

And please also suggest about the 2 sockets (or 4) in the weapon. I guess more cast speed? There will be already plenty of cast speed anyway .. and I plan to max PB so mana regen needs to considered. More cast speed means more mana .. I have Concentration but I don't know if thats enough.
  • Oh and yes I am definitely using a shield and I think Perma's coal burner is a winner in end game shield contest with 45% block chance .. right? And not interested in spawning Alchemist rings from console, so I guess my best bet is a pair of emberweave rings?

there is just no going wrong with coal burner for sure, however, the centerwing does warrant a fair consideration with 21% block and 15% cast speed (crimson guard, even tho it has an impressive 20% cast speed is not an option since its ilvl is too low for any of the best socketables...) with block VI considered (12%) coal burner requires exactly 100 vita to hit max block, whereas centerwing need 299 vita, thus the difference between the two is essentially +199 focus vs + 15% cast speed since burner will need 199 less vita opening those stat points up for focus... Personally I use centerwing because I like to cast fast, I think it helps me to manage mobs better with my play style and I spent way too much time and gold enchanting so I still have like 2500 focus, but like I said cant go wrong either way.

So lets calculate end game gems. Total socket is 28 (excluding weapon) - 1 for HP regen = 27. 15% DR from IA + 10% from transcendent gear = 25%. So 10 Limoany needed to get 50% DR to reach 75% cap. 27-10 = 17 sockets left. Fill em up with Reichliu (why its so hard to spell zeez) ? **** with this gear a PBmage would be a demi-****! But what would be optimal use for those 17 sockets?

End game ya, if your using aura, ascendant boots, tanscendant shoulders then you need 10 limoany to hit the DR cap, only 9 if your using Ice Squall as well (tho you mention using 2 emberweaves so I'm assume not?) Reichlius should fill the rest (which will give you a godly 30k+ health!) wfuntir can be considered for some of them tho if you feel your health is high enough and need the dps, esp before your gear is fully enchanted... the only other consideration is zardon's mighty skull(25% reflect), but remember refelection is multiplicative not additive, so 4 zardon's does not give you 100% but rather like 68% reflect, then these returns are even further diminished by shield users since 75% of missles would have already been blocked so your only getting 68% of 25% which = 17% effectively. Probably not worth the 6180 health the reichliu's would have gave... Tho for non-shield users a few of these can be quite effective before the diminishing returns get too bad. So to sum it up for us shield users: Limoany's to hit DR cap and riechliu's in the rest is the best end game...
    And please also suggest about the 2 sockets (or 4) in the weapon. I guess more cast speed? There will be already plenty of cast speed anyway .. and I plan to max PB so mana regen needs to considered. More cast speed means more mana .. I have Concentration but I don't know if thats enough

For embermages in general, unless you are using the storm tree and abilities that use weapon damage (which ive heard is glitchy but have never personally tried) then your weapons are just stats sticks, this means there is 3 sockets to consider rambren's and whorlbarb's for crit damage and chance respectively, and +6% cast speed chaos embers. For say a frost wave build the crit gems are prob the best, however whether its an unadresses glitch or an intentional hidden nerf, Pbolt gets horrible returns on crit chance, 8%, meaning a godly 100% cc gives pbolt a sorry 8% :/ so its best multiplier comes in the form of cast speed and I personally use the chaos embers. Keep in mind tho that the brands themselves can only proc like every second regardless of cast speed or the fact that the description suggest they will proc everytime an frozen/shocked/burning enemy is hit (but like I said I like the extra cast speed for my play style and imo the returns on the cc make them much worse). as for mana, if where talking about end game then your gear/focus will give you PENTY of mana and more importantly really high charge generation. Hitting full charge solves any mana issues and will be done in 1-2 pbolts...

finally, don't let the crit and cast speed workings above fool you, regardless of crit returns or brand "cooldowns" pbolt is still the nuts and easily the most powerful embage build/spell. the synergy between pbolt and the brands is just OP and outweighs all this...
  • WarheadWarhead Posts: 56
    loneranger wrote:
    Thanks a bunch PotatoEater. Awesome gear selection .. this would be very useful for me.

So finally I did it :) Last night finished NG0 with my HCE PBmage (lvl 53). This is my first time beating HCE so feeling is very sweet! I was scared to death before entering Alchemist and Netherlord (I had only 2200 HP) .. but **** .. this build is so awesome .. Alchemist never had a chance to say his last prayers and Netherlord died like the dog he is lol. 36 hours of gameplay .. totally worth it.

I am very satisfied with Immolation Aura .. but it only gave me 5% DR in end game NG0. After putting 9 points in it, I realized that before level 60, you can't get that 10th point :x After playing the entire game with it .. (not entire but from level 35) I realized that its not only a replacement for 3 sockets .. its also a pretty good 3m shield of flame. Now one might be very good at kiting, dodging and jumping away with frost phase, but even so, time to time one or two mob will come close to you. With a PBmage, with almost no dodge and block at NG0, this shield might save you in certain situation. Plus, watching the Urns breaking themselves while I run on them is very fun :) Keeping it up all the time takes some work but with no cooldown, its easy .. I just cast it whenever I can. Other than that, I totally love it, and I think it is the best skill to spend my last 15 points .. Thank you for suggesting it .. :)

I would be very interested in a discussion about PBmage specific end game gear selection. Why don't you open a new thread for it?

Can you post your gear+skills? I would like to know what you are using and how :)