New - looking for potential Engi build

SpidaFlySpidaFly Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Engineer Discussions
I just purchased Torchlight 2 (I know, welcome to 2012, right?) and I hit the Engi on a hunch and I've been having some fun. After doing some reading though, seems like my build... well, ****. :oops:

So I've done some Googling, and it seems to me that I want to make a new Engi and base it around Flame Hammer, Heal Bot, Forcefield, F&S, Supercharge. Probably pretty cookie-cutter, but this will be a remake of my first character, and since I'm not terribly familiar with the game mechanics yet, I don't mind if I use a cookie-cutter build.

There are some things I'm a bit confused on, however.

1. I see a lot of discussion on the use of str vs foc for the engineer. Is this primarily a discussion of str for Flame Hammer builds vs. foc for Emberstorm builds? Or is there a benefit to using foc for Flame Hammer or finding a sweet spot between the two?

2. I also see threads where people are discussing skilling up str and dex, and not vit. Is there a way around this for a new player with no gear cache? I'd like to have SOME survivability while leveling up, as it is apparent that Force Field isn't terribly impressive early on. (?)

3. The only cookie cutter guides I'm seeing on this forum are from this thread: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=40844. Are there any other commonly referenced repositories for newbie engie builds?

4. Any other suggestions pertinent to making the right decisions upon starting over?

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have other questions later.

PS. Is there a forum more active than this one? Or am I just too late to the party?

Comments

• silicsilic Posts: 47
    I think the general consensus is Flame Hammer builds go full strength + some dex (for about 40-50% crit) and Emberquake builds go 999str (for crit dmg cap), some dex and rest focus.
    Many players probably don't bother putting much points into dex though because of Borris.
    How you place your stats won't make that big a difference in end game, you will still smash everything with end game gear, so if you want to put some points in vit and don't care too much about min-maxing then go ahead.

For a beginner, probably the 2 most important things to know is,
    1. Borris is overpowered, Borris is an enchanter that enchants stats on your gear. You will most likely end up with some "unwanted" stats (like vit or foc for FH engis) unless you are insanely rich. On high level gear, you can enchant over 150 stat points on a piece of armor, most people try to get 2 enchants of their main stat and 1 random stat enchant, eg. 100 str 50 vit or 100 focus 50 dex, etc. Borris' enchants can "crit" giving something like 2x more stat points. The 150 stat points I mentioned is if Borris crits 3x. The best outcome would be if Borris crits 3x for your main stat. Borris is the reason your stat placements don't matter that much. In end game gear you can have insane amount of stats. My FH Engi has 2830 str and I'm not even that well geared.
    2. Limoany's are overpowered, they reduce damage taken by 5%. Stack them till you have 75% (cap) physical reduction. They are hard to farm for though. The Eye of Grell (3% reduced damage taken) is a good alternative till you can farm enough Limoany's.

From my experience, the best end game weapon set-up for a Str FH engi is dual wield with a 4 socket offhand. 2 Vellinque (+200 phys damage) skulls in mainhand and 4 skull's of vastok (18% attack speed) in offhand.
    For the rest of your gear, socket Limoany's till 75% cap (I only have 70% cap myself), 3-5 Skulls of Riechliu (+1540 health, makes vit completely pointless) then fill the rest with Lovantine skulls (40 strength).

In my opinion, the strongest Engi build is Glacial Spike spell trigger focus based EQ build. Quite unhappy about it since my main is a FH engi lol.
    The gear setup is similar to Str FH build, replace strength skulls with Wfuntir Skulls (+62 focus)
    For weapons, get 2 Hammer of Retributions (they give 25% chance to cast glacial strike each) and socket them with The Eye of Aleera (5% chance to cast glacial strike).
    If you really want to min-max your gear, you can get a mixture of blue gear, for example you could get 2 piece aristocrat for the 6% cast speed and 6 piece inquisitor for 6% cast speed, 6% all damage and 39 focus. I'm not sure what the absolute best setup is, but that is what I run on my own engi. Try use blue pieces with around 50-60 focus on them.
  • opsayoopsayo Posts: 26
    SpidaFly wrote:
    1. I see a lot of discussion on the use of str vs foc for the engineer. Is this primarily a discussion of str for Flame Hammer builds vs. foc for Emberstorm builds? Or is there a benefit to using foc for Flame Hammer or finding a sweet spot between the two?
    Pretty much strength for flame hammer and focus for emberquake builds. You want some strength for EQ builds due to crit damage. You can find the graphs where people analyze the proper stat splits.
    2. I also see threads where people are discussing skilling up str and dex, and not vit. Is there a way around this for a new player with no gear cache? I'd like to have SOME survivability while leveling up, as it is apparent that Force Field isn't terribly impressive early on. (?)
    You'll want some vitality to hit the block cap, the minimum is probably ~100 vitality with a shield called parma's coal burner. It just depends on you and how much you want to min/max vs just play for fun.
    3. The only cookie cutter guides I'm seeing on this forum are from this thread: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=40844. Are there any other commonly referenced repositories for newbie engie builds?
    This is my favorite guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =166073716 (Kardfogu makes good cookie cutter guides)
    4. Any other suggestions pertinent to making the right decisions upon starting over?
    I think an EQ is superior to a FH build (and possibly the best build in the game, thanks to forcefield, healing bot, and EQ), but waiting until level 42 is miserable, especially since you'll be putting your stats into focus. Playing a legit EQ engi on elite is an incredibly difficult task if you're not planning to use something to respec. Just keep that in mind if that's what you want to do.