Looking for my next HCE build! Please suggest.

lonerangerloneranger Posts: 102
edited February 2014 in TL2 Hardcore Mode
Hi guys ...

So the title says it all. Got my first HCE NG0 victory few days ago with a PBmage. I am definitely planning to take it as high as I can, meanwhile I would also like to try a new build on HCE.

Any fun build would do, probably not another embermage. A frostmage would be Hailstorm Frostwave icebrand thing, already tasted them.Not interested in a firemage or Ice/electric hybrid, may be I would try them later.A battlemage with a staff sounds really really fun, but without a shield, how far we can clime up in HCE ladder? Specially now we have block cap at 75%, Having a shield is very helpful in HCE.

I am thinking about other sword and board builds, maybe a ember-quake + forcefield engi .. or Tundra-zerker? VH poison lander? there are so many other builds. Which would be more suitable for HCE and definitely more fun? I was really looking forward to a canoneer but I can't solve the charge problem with blast canon sigh!

Please suggest! Now I have some good loot at my shared stash, another character would be very enjoyable. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Try sticking to range builds for as long as possible. Once you start enjoying the excitement of melee builds it's very boring to go back to range builds. There's something about beating the monsters up front right in the face, the threat of death is somehow more real as well.
  • surmise wrote:
    Try sticking to range builds for as long as possible. Once you start enjoying the excitement of melee builds it's very boring to go back to range builds. There's something about beating the monsters up front right in the face, the threat of death is somehow more real as well.

Totally! I played a dual claw berser for a while and it was extremely enjoyable. But I went back to PB because I wanted to complete HCE. Anyway .. then why don't you recommend me another range build? :)
  • aherinaherin Posts: 54
    Hi there.
    Just finished a first run through of HCE with a dual wield serker. Level 53 this time round.
    I'm determined to get to level 100 without using a shield, except maybe switching for trolls and act bosses :P
    The last time I attempted it I got to level 75 with a build aiming for something like this :
    [LINK DELETED]
    The idea was to max out my life steal and serker charge time so that I'm constantly healing. It's still not perfect so you gotta keep moving!

Maybe you could try and take up the dual wield challenge as well? :D
  • aherin wrote:
    Hi there.
    Just finished a first run through of HCE with a dual wield serker. Level 53 this time round.
    I'm determined to get to level 100 without using a shield, except maybe switching for trolls and act bosses :P
    The last time I attempted it I got to level 75 with a build aiming for something like this :
    [LINK DELETED]
    The idea was to max out my life steal and serker charge time so that I'm constantly healing. It's still not perfect so you gotta keep moving!

Maybe you could try and take up the dual wield challenge as well? :D

Hey Aherin, Thanks a lot for the suggestion man, appreciate it. Sweet build :)

I did actually tried dual claw builds in past, but I was only using autoattack dual claw. It was fun and I was doing fine past level 45. But didn't make it. Then I thought about using rage as primary attack.

I have a few questions for you.

01. Why maxing Blood hunger? I hear there is a cooldown and they don't stack. Do you think its worth past 1 point?
    02. Why no Cold Steel mastery (for atleast physical damage), Shred Armor or Red wolf?
    03. You have 4 active buffing skill, Howl, Battle Rage, Battle standard and Ice shield. Doesn't it gets a little difficult to manage them in battle?
    04. What is your CC strategy?
    05. And why not a shield if you are using Rage?
    06. How do you gain charge? Rage makes nothing!

Will be waiting to hear from you. Cheers.
    Hi Loneranger,

Very interesting questions you have for me. Some things I never even considered. Heh I may have to tweak my build :)

1. I didn't know that about blood hunger to be honest. I may have to test that a bit I think
    2. Yeah I have used all those in the past. This build was just to see if I could try without them. I'm really thinking of not using battlerage though actually and swapping one of these in for extra damage. With 75% DR battle rage isn't as useful.
    3. All the buffing isn't too bad. you get into a bit of rhythm after a while.
    4. There's no real cc strategy :) Just Get the **** out of the Way of big hits and keep on criting!
    5. I love dual wielding claws, especially wolverine looking ones. Just trying to get as far as I can by using a shield as little as possible.
    6. Charge gain is really good with executioner. You can be on full charge every couple of seconds with this skill.

I think you are definitely right about shred armour and cold steel mastery. I might see if I can get rid of battle rage and swap one of these skills in.

My current serker using this build is up to level 61 atm.. Still in NG0 farming mapworks, so he's doing ok hehe
  • Thanks for the reply man. I was actually looking for a weapon DPS based melee type skill that builds charge (so I can spam it lol). Just like Rage, its perfect, it does great damage, except it wont build charge and you must switch to autoattack. Then I tried engineer too, **** it! I can't find something like that. All I want is a melee skill to replace autoattacking that build charge so I can enjoy face to face melee battle with some extra skill bonus, and keep my FF up or be in frenzy state.

After thinking a while, something like that would be really overpowered.
    Ah ok no worries, yeah the switch to auto attack seems to be almost mandatory, which is a shame.
    Let us know if you come up with any cool HCE builds man, it's lots of fun to live life on the edge :D
  • aherin, I'm impressed you did it without shred armor or even 1 point in red wolf. I would never have the guts to even try, maybe I should.
    Bah.. poor little guy dead to a spike trap in mapworks :(
    MUST GET TO 100!