Games like TL2?

lonerangerloneranger Posts: 102
edited March 2014 in Off-Topic Discussions
While I like TL2 very much and I am yet to make every possible build in HCE and take them to NG5, I would like to try other games like TL2. Doesn't matter if its too old. For example, I tried Titan Quest, and I didn't like it. But I liked the first Torchlight a lot.

Comments

• gold163gold163 Posts: 4,852
    Maybe Fate?
    cxNEL.png
  • ZiddersZidders Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭
    Sacred gold (Sacred + Sacred 2) can be found on Steam. There's the Dungeon Siege series, the Fate series. Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, the Diablo series, Dins Curse, Marven Heroes, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, Deathspank, Bastion. These are just a few of the ones I can think of.
    ItfooQF.png
  • LighjowLighjow Posts: 4
    There's a decent list of Torchlight alternatives here with nearly two dozen options.

I'd definitely recommend Fate, plays so similar to Torchlight in a range of mechanics. Path of Exile is also great because of the huge amount of depth but it's closer to Titan Quest and Diablo so I'm not sure. What was it about Titan Quest that turned you off?

Zidders pretty much lists all the other options with some of my other favourites being Deathspank, Bastion and Marvel Heroes.
  • lonerangerloneranger Posts: 102
    Lighjow wrote:
    There's a decent list of Torchlight alternatives here with nearly two dozen options.

I'd definitely recommend Fate, plays so similar to Torchlight in a range of mechanics. Path of Exile is also great because of the huge amount of depth but it's closer to Titan Quest and Diablo so I'm not sure. What was it about Titan Quest that turned you off?

Zidders pretty much lists all the other options with some of my other favourites being Deathspank, Bastion and Marvel Heroes.

Crappy graphics. Just looks like D2 (a little better).
  • SerkevanSerkevan Posts: 1,586
    Marvel Heroes is right now a surprisingly decent game. It's also free, so you can give it a whirl. You won't be able to change "class" until around the time you finish your first playthrough, though (around... 13-15 hours if you are obsessed with doing everything). Only complaint is that, like PoE, said first playthrough is stupidly easy bar a couple bossfights.
  • D2HansD2Hans Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭
    loneranger wrote:
    Lighjow wrote:

Crappy graphics. Just looks like D2 (a little better).

Titan Quest has one of the best graphics from any of the ARPG's. I did not like TQ that much since it is really slow to get going for an ARPG. I never got past the First Act.
    "Six... one, six... the nuuuumber ooof the beeeaaast!"
    http://store.steampowered.com/sub/879/

Silverfall is decent, too.
    ItfooQF.png
  • seti42seti42 Posts: 101
    If you can dig up an old Xbox (original) there's Baldurs gate: Dark alliance 1 and 2...also D&D Heroes, and (for a more sci-fi/superhero take on the arpg) X-men Legends 1 and 2.

I still play all of those occasionally. They look pretty dated now (3D, but not high def), but they are more advanced graphically than something as old (yet awesome) as Diablo 2/LoD. They're a lot of fun just for the couch co-op option.

I do have to defend TitanQuest's graphics. It looks great IMO, even today. I like its gameplay style, and I think it has the best character customizing options of pretty much any ARPG. But to each their own.

All the rest I like have been mentioned.
  • lonerangerloneranger Posts: 102
    Thanks a lot guys for all the recommendations. I am gonna watch some youtube videos for them to get more idea.

Something is there in Titan quest that sets me off, may be I'll give it another try.
    Titan Quest might have blah levels & blah monsters but **** the loot is gorgeous, and the skill system is fun.
    ItfooQF.png
  • Just try Marvel Heroes and say goodbye to the free time you have. You can thank me later.
    Just try Marvel Heroes and say goodbye to the free time you have. You can thank me later.

While decent and kinda solid, it's too easy for my taste, and there are a couple things I just can't put up with.
  • Serkevan wrote:
    Just try Marvel Heroes and say goodbye to the free time you have. You can thank me later.

While decent and kinda solid, it's too easy for my taste, and there are a couple things I just can't put up with.

Actually, endgame is not that easy. SH Loki (for a new lvl 60 player), Cosmic Doom and Cosmic Kurse are hard if you want to avoid death. X-Defense and Holo-Sim later waves get impossible with time. There's also PvP and a big raid is coming for players who wants a real challange that requires player skill and top gear. At least that's what devs say.

Story however is definetely easy since there's no penalty for death except 10% stat reduction in bloodstone artifacts.

I definetely think Marvel Heroes is the best ARPG atm. But if you don't like the superhero setting and the things it brings such as lack of blood and costume-system, there's a chance you won't like the game.
    The problem. you see, is that while I enjoyed the first playthrough as mindless fun, I don't want to spend the amount of time required until it poses a challenge. I *want* to be in "getting my **** handed to me" difficulty from the first time. ****, I died once in the main story and that was because I lagged and got oneshotted by Rhino.
  • Leveling a hero to level 60 is easy with experience boosts you can get from fortune cards (which you can get from cube shards or drops), hero synergies and ofc legendary quests. There are a lot of players who maxed all 30 heroes in a reasonable time. So, yes, getting to the endgame is very quick compared to other ARPGs if you want to take legendary quest route instead of story and difficulties.

There is a major casual crowd that plays the game and I think developers don't want to make the story content and levelling relatively hard, thus scaring them. This crowd even fears the idea of raids... Well, these people are an another gift of the superhero setting :)
  • tinysamueltinysamuel Posts: 2

I'd recommend Divinity and Divinity 2 (which is in an early access now). Also, games from this list are quite close

• tinysamueltinysamuel Posts: 2

I'd recommend Divinity and Divinity 2 (which is in an early access now). Also, games from this list are quite close