Armour texturing issues.

SupernautSupernaut Posts: 62
edited May 2014 in Art and Sound
Hey there, I've been working on a new set of armour but I've been running across an incredibly weird error when I test the model in GUTS.

As you can see from the picture below, once the armour is equipped it applies its texture to the rest of the model. I'm just wondering has any one experienced this before and fixed it?

I've viewed the model in the TL2 Model Viewer and it worked fine. And I've never had this problem with any other models I've done for TL2 - admittedly mostly weapons.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xoxctrvev9mito/armourissue.png
armourissue.png
Would play Torchlight more if I didn't have so much work to do. :(
While I should be Working.

Comments

• PhanjamPhanjam Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Supernaut wrote:
    ...I've been working on a new set of armour...
    Hi Supernaut. Are you using a totally new mesh for your armor set, or are you just re-texturing an existing set? If it's a new mesh, it might have to do with how your .material files are set-up...
    Torchmodders
    Torchlight 1 Class Pack (TL1CP) Mod for TL2: Steam | RGF
  • SupernautSupernaut Posts: 62
    It's an entirely new mesh Phanjam.

Checked out my material file and it doesn't appear any different to the game ones.
    material Hum_barbuta/Helmet
    {
            technique
            {
                    pass
                    {
                            ambient 0.588000 0.588000 0.588000
                            diffuse 0.588000 0.588000 0.588000
                            specular 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0
                            emissive 0.400000 0.400000 0.400000
                            texture_unit
                            {
                                    texture hu_barbuta_helmet.png
                            }
                    }
            }
    }

I've also checked out the .skeleton file and everything appears fine there too, the error has really stumped me as it works fine in the TL2 model viewer and Blender.
    Supernaut wrote:
    As you can see from the picture below, once the armour is equipped it applies its texture to the rest of the model. I'm just wondering has any one experienced this before and fixed it?
    JtLrVxlZiwfqwkMGzSMFGaHskXMJ8ps2tmP79AigQBM

In the image on the right, your helmet is showing along with elements from the HU_ENG_01_XTRA.DDS texture. So I'm guessing you placed your helmet texture on to that file?

That file has DXT1 compression which won't support transparency. Maybe the game has to be told where the transparent portions are, in which case you'll have to alpha-out the transparent parts then save with DXT3 compression.

Alternately since you have control over the UV mapping for your mesh, maybe you can just point to a totally separate texture file instead? (Am guessing on that one, as I have virtually zero 3d modeling knowledge.)
    Torchmodders
    TL;DR - I have my own model and texture, something is breaking in TL2.

Nah that's not what is occurring, I'll try and explain how the Armour's are set up. At least on the model side of life!

Each set of armour is a full model with various submeshes - with their own UVs and assigned textures, that are assigned to different bones of the rig or skeleton so that it moves correctly when animated.

The material file of armour sets points each of the submeshes to their relevant texture file, the mesh file has the co-ordinates for the vertices and UVs for each submesh and the skeleton has how each submesh is weighted against the bones.

So in my case I created a helmet along with my own texture, assigned it to the "head" bone of the skeleton and exported it.

Now I've no idea why it is applying the texture to the rest of the model, it shouldn't. The texture doesn't use shared vertices, the material file specifically points the texture to that submesh only. The helmet shouldn't be black, it should be that grey colour that the rest of the model takes on.

I've viewed this model in Blender, 3ds Max and the TL2 model viewer and there are no issue with it until it goes in to Torchlight 2.
    And your helmet texture file contains only the texture for the helmet, it's not on a combined image that has texrures for other submeshes? That IS odd.

The only thing left I can think of is the .DAT file for your new helmet item. Armor item .DATs have lines pointing to the .MESH and the texture files to use. Could be a glitch in there?
    Torchmodders
  • Kva3imodaKva3imoda Posts: 977 ✭✭
    You use a .png file or a .dds file? As far as I know, necessarily need a .dds file for a helmet.
    4ByzPdz.png 88pn2UZ.pngtrCrfep.png
    Phanjam, yes that's correct the helmet has its own texture. I checked the DAT file and it points to the right .MESH and texture file.

Kva3imoda, I just tried with a .DDS and it had the same problem.

To say I'm at a loss is a massive understatement haha. :D