Guide -Embermage Tank! Up close and personal - Elite Tested

CheezfriendCheezfriend Posts: 13
edited March 2015 in Embermage Discussions
I decided to make an Embermage tank. The following is a short and simple guide on how to make this unique character.

Why? Because why not?!? I wanted to try something challenging and completely different. This build works on Elite, it is not recommended for HC unless you plan appropriately for it and farm gear that provides damage reduction in early game. If you play on veteran or below you will destroy the content easily! I recommend playing in elite!

Please watch the linked videos as I describe how this build works in detail.

The Build
[LINK DELETED]

Stats
Use this ratio - Dex/Focus/Vit - 1/2/2
Cap Dex at 53 so you have 10% dodge and 10% crit. We need to stack focus for Mana pool and elemental damage and we need to stack vitality for health and block chance.

Gear
This build is designed to use a axe/mace/sword in your Main Hand and a Shield in your off hand. You want to look for gear that stacks health, dodge, block, health/mana on hit and damage reduction.

How to play

Levels 1-15 Instructional Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aFTbRrZBY8

Please watch the above video. You want to pick up the following skills.

skillicon_magmamace.png Magma Mace
Our primary damage dealer early on. Provides the ability to stun and break shields.

skillicon_frozen_fate.png Frozen Fate
Each time we kill an enemy we have the chance to freeze up to four additional enemies. Very helpful as we can smash frozen enemies with minimal effort.

skillicon_magicitem.png Elemental Attunement
Chance to burn/freeze/shock/poison enemies. A passive ability that is very powerful and an absolute must for being up close and personal.

skillicon_firebreath.png Fire Brand
When you hit a burning enemy you have the chance to do an additional burst of fire damage.

skillicon_ice_brand.png Ice Brand
When you hit a frozen enemy you have the chance to do an additional burst of ice damage

skillicon_stungrenade.png Lightning Brand
When you hit a shocked enemy you have the chance to do an additional burst of lightning damage.

skillicon_storm.png Thunder Locus
I can't stress enough how awesome this is for tanking mobs grouped up! You create a thunderstorm that does electric damage.

skillicon_frostphase.png Frost Phase
Our escape ability which can also be used to initiate a fight or just create some ice damage. Highly versatile and essential skill!

Levels 15-28 Instructional Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRD8TNOjLG0
Please watch the above video, you want to pick up the following additional skills

skillicon_frostwave.png Frost Wave
Chance to freeze enemies and does ice damage, a great DPS dealer.

skillicon_rejuvenatingkill.png Death's Bounty
Gain mana and health on killing an enemy. An extremely useful skill when tanking.

Future instructional videos coming soon!

I will update this guide and add to it as I level up and create video's supporting it.

Comments

• AutocthonAutocthon Posts: 226
    Been here. Done this. It is probably my favorite build, though I honestly prefer a build with 100% more weapon. As in dualwield. And without magma mace.

But then again I run a few mods to actually-sorta-kinda make splitting up stats a bit more effective. And I hate magma mace's animation lol. Gratz on stumbling upon one of the most hilarious ways to go embermage.
  • Autocthon wrote:
    Been here. Done this. It is probably my favorite build, though I honestly prefer a build with 100% more weapon. As in dualwield. And without magma mace.

But then again I run a few mods to actually-sorta-kinda make splitting up stats a bit more effective. And I hate magma mace's animation lol. Gratz on stumbling upon one of the most hilarious ways to go embermage.

thanks! And it sure beats a cookie cutter build :) Something different.
  • RustyRusty Posts: 1,640
    Also you are missing one of the primary bonuses of Magma Mace. It procs health and mana steal that you might have on your weapon.
  • wiatrogrwiatrogr Posts: 3
    Having a lot of fun with this build. Anyone have tips for stats/skills/gear past level 28?
  • GeistGeist Posts: 128
    For the final build, I'd go with 1 Frost Phase, 11 Frozen Fate, and max the other 8 skills. Ideally you'd want your weapon to deal mostly/all elemental damage, since you'll have more focus than strength.